• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It feels awesome to be excited about my hobby again. I think I was one more meh block away from just taking time off from the game. Modern is my game, but I think I need standard to fill the gaps, so to speak. SoI is just seeming super sweet.

MjFrancis

hinterlandlogger.jpg
timbershredder.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Thing in the ice seems absolutely bonkers in modern/legacy. It's a bit slow sure, but as a 0/4 it's an excellent wall that will flip in a turn or 2, bouncing all your creatures and then killing you. Not sure why wotc continue pushing those absurd blue creatures that break 1 mana cantrips, then ban all cantrips. Maybe realize cantrips and card draw are part of blue and stop doing things like this and delver?

Whatever. Some of the other cards are really interesting. The new land that fetch for basics is a new version of evolving wilds that can tap for colorless too. Not sure what the implications would be, but it seems interesting nonetheless. The W 1/2 that investigate is deceptively powerful imho. This into shape anew for blightsteel, ez.

Not sure why the red 1/3 discard outlet is an uncommon.

The DFC having the cmc of the front make sense, but make answers to DFC much worse. I'm lookin' at delver mostly. I seriously hate how efficient that card is. Now immune to ratchet bomb.
It's not even vaguely easy to get 4 spells off before it takes up farming or walks a winding road to becoming a basic Plains.

FeD.nL

I need 4 Things in Ice. Bounces their creatures and gets me my Snapcasters back, damn almost seems to good to be true.

Packaging article on the Mothership confirms that the PWs for this set are Arlinn, Jace, and Sorin BTW. So: Liliana and Nahiri in Eldritch Moon?

Lol, someone on Blogatog asked MaRo if it's Slivers who are in SoI, not Emrakul, because the Sliver in the moon.

SoI is just the kind of kick I needed to stay in Magic. I'm looking at every card and seeing something cool about it, even the Thraben Investigator.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";197797905]I wonder how high Jace's price is going to get.[/QUOTE]

Glad I bought them cheap. It's such a utility card. And when it does get bolted/pathed, it's not the end of the world.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jace being expensive is really dumb given what he actually does. Unlike JTMS he's not actually all that OP and doesn't see the kind of play that JTMS does or would, so his price is kind of nonsensical.

Angry Grimace

Just tell me when I should be offloading the jaces, pls.

I suggest not offloading them until you are sure there is a deck you want to play that doesn't involve Jace in it. That said, I think they are peaking in price right about now to once we start seeing non-Jace decks in Standard.

I suggest not offloading them until you are sure there is a deck you want to play that doesn't involve Jace in it. That said, I think they are peaking in price right about now to once we start seeing non-Jace decks in Standard.

I'm planning to trade them for snappies, only bought Jaces because I needed just 2 to play 4 of them at home with friends.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Notice a theme?

someone proving my point?

Jhriad

My curiosity about what spurred Nahiri to this means this is probably the first time I've actually been legitimately interested in a Magic story arc since I came back to the game.

We need a new OT. In main off topic plz.

Spoiler week hasn't officially started yet. We don't make the move until just prior to that.

I would love if Tormenting Voice was reprinted in this set, with the art depicting some guy holding his forehead while the image of Sarkhan bothers him.
"I am bothered day and night by visions of a strange man raving about dragons. At least he seems content with his life."

Also, updates to the OT draft incoming.

MjFrancis

I hope we get more than a few clue tokens, each with their own flavor text.

Also, the implication that there's a seaside cult worshiping a many-tentacled leviathan? This is shaping up to be more Lovecraftian than anything in the last block. Battle for Zendikar had some Eldritch imagery but that's where the homage ends.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man the more I see the more obvious it becomes that Lovecraft was exactly the correct way to evolve Innistrad as a concept. If this works out its probably going to be my absolute favorite execution of a return set

Man the more I see the more obvious it becomes that Lovecraft was exactly the correct way to evolve Innistrad as a concept. If this works out its probably going to be my absolute favorite execution of a return set
Bloodborne did it first

yes I know the set was completed before bloodborne released

The art in this set... it's like Innistrad was put through Google Deep Dream.

Yep. I'm very impressed at how well they've done at starting with the concept "Innistrad, but gripped by madness" and actually executing it. It really feels like the same world (in its horror state, not its lame AVR state) and the surreal, dreamlike madness is gently overlaid, not changing everything to be unrecognizable -- but it's still clearly present.

Huh, I sort of didn't expect us to get a new Sorin, for some reason

I mean, he's pretty central to the plot, clearly. Once we got the key art of him and Avacyn it seemed pretty clear he was gonna show up in card form.

(This means no new Tamiyo, sadly, unless they bizarrely decide to not give us a Nahiri.)

Jace being expensive is really dumb given what he actually does. Unlike JTMS he's not actually all that OP and doesn't see the kind of play that JTMS does or would, so his price is kind of nonsensical.

Much like the early days of JTMS I think set-opening volume and quality of surrounding rares has way more to do with his price than anything about him specifically.

Angry Grimace

I would love if Tormenting Voice was reprinted in this set, with the art depicting some guy holding his forehead while the image of Sarkhan bothers him.
"I am bothered day and night by visions of a strange man raving about dragons. At least he seems content with his life."

Also, updates to the OT draft incoming.

No, the cycle needs to be completed and show Nicol Bolas being annoyed by Sarkhan.

So are we gonna get creatures that transform to devoid creatures due to emrakul?

No.

Also, the implication that there's a seaside cult worshiping a many-tentacled leviathan? This is shaping up to be more Lovecraftian than anything in the last block. Battle for Zendikar had some Eldritch imagery but that's where the homage ends.

Yep. Well, I mean, Zendikar was always the mythos in the Robert E Howard tradition -- i.e. big squamous cosmic monstrosities for Conan to whack with a sword. This is the other side, Lovecraft's truly horrifying mythos.

I'm not reading too much in to say that that symbol is Emrakul, right? It's got tentacles hanging down below and a round, split top.

Also, anyone want to take bets on whether the symbol on the clue token is the EDM set symbol?

What I like about it is that it's an evolution that actually hews to the source material -- Lovecraft's work was itself an evolution and twist on Gothic horror, so the throughline makes perfect, elegant sense.

This is so far shaping up to be the best return block by a huge margin. I have some thoughts about why that is, I might go into them later.

Saw this. The wording is interesting. Seems they may be angling at ditching separate components like Duels and MTGO for a unified system. That probably means ditching the client and going browser based. Also, definitely reading a bit into this, but the mentioning of parity between paper and online competition has me hopeful that they're at least looking at some system that mixes them a bit.

I'd love for it to come to the PS4. Hell, put in camera support, Twitch streaming capabilities too.

G.ZZZ

It's not even vaguely easy to get 4 spells off before it takes up farming or walks a winding road to becoming a basic Plains.

I argue is about the same difficulty as getting a 4/5 Goyf and a bit harder than using your SFM. And sword/path haven't stopped those cards being played in any way. It's certainly a way worse topdeck, but the effect is absurdly stronger as an instant mass bounce +7/8 body.

EDIT: in a deck with 20-24 spells obviously, just like delver.

Angry Grimace

I argue is about the same difficulty as getting a 4/5 Goyf and a bit harder than using your SFM. And sword/path haven't stopped those cards being played in any way. It's certainly a way worse topdeck, but the effect is absurdly stronger as an instant mass bounce +7/8 body.

It's not though because Goyf works with both players playing spells of almost literally any kind.

Jhriad

I'm not reading too much in to say that that symbol is Emrakul, right? It's got tentacles hanging down below and a round, split top.

It's either Emrakul or they've brought back Marit Lage. Thing in the Ice would be an amusing tease if it were the latter. That's not happening, of course.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think Emrakul is in the block. Even though Eldritch Moon implies Emrakul will be mentioned, Emrakul makes more sense to be off in the distance doing God knows what, even if Nahiri is trying to summon him.

I mean, taking BFZ's two act structure into impact, we'd get something this:

SoI: Angels are going nuts, Innistrad is falling to pieces, Ends with Sorin killing Avacyn

EDM: The Fallout from Avacyn's Death/Whatever else happens in SoI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom