• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My theory is that Nahiri lured Emrakul there and bound it using her lithomancy, but that Emrakul isn't actually floating around killing stuff - she's just indirectly influencing the plane through her partial presence being trapped there.

G.ZZZ

It's not though because Goyf works with both players playing spells of almost literally any kind.

How often you play non-instant/sorceries spells tho'?

I rest my case that this card is stupidly designed because it is blue. It may not see much play because of the topdeck factor, but i'm tired of seeing incredibly good and efficient creatures being printed in blue, delver, TNN, Snapcaster, Jace, now this ZZZ

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nah Bro, Emrakul goes off and eats Vrynn. Boom, we get rid of the most boring plane from Origins.

But da mage ringzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The tears of happiness I would cry. Imagine if Marit Lage IS an eldrazi?

Some Vorthos around here said that was impossible because Lage has some backstory already. But if they can retcon Nissa, they can definitely rule of cool this one.

OnPoint

Some Vorthos around here said that was impossible because Lage has some backstory already. But if they can retcon Nissa, they can definitely rule of cool this one.

Yeah, we've seen them backtrack on some stuff already (werewolves and wolfir in this very block, even) so why the hell not?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How often you play non-instant/sorceries spells tho'?

I rest my case that this card is stupidly designed because it is blue. It may not see much play because of the topdeck factor, but i'm tired of seeing incredibly good and efficient creatures being printed in blue, delver, TNN, Snapcaster, Jace, now this ZZZ

Before Eldrazi took over and made Dismember the most popular spell, Inquisition, Thoughtseize and Serum Visions were among the most played cards.

I would say that I'd be surprised if it saw a lot of play, but I have misevaluated 1U double-faced cards before, and I think there's some potential for something in standard where its a slower environment. Once I see the set, I'd be interested in trying to brew up something for it in UW with like Myth Realized, Narset, etc.

But da mage ringzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Marit Lage was a Dominarian sorceress that could turn herself into a giant flying abomination but somehow got sealed within a Glacier. That's pretty much all we've got.

I just think the clues are so incredibly obvious and combined with the fact that Innistrad was moved up to the Spring slot right around when they cancelled the third Emrakul set makes me convinced enough I would be willing to bet actual money that its Emrakul, whether or not Emrakul itself shows up in physical form in the block.

G.ZZZ

Before Eldrazi took over and made Dismember the most popular spell, Inquisition, Thoughtseize and Serum Visions were among the most played cards.

I would say that I'd be surprised if it saw a lot of play, but I have misevaluated 1U double-faced cards before, and I think there's some potential for something in standard where its a slower environment. Once I see the set, I'd be interested in trying to brew up something for it in UW with like Myth Realized, Narset, etc.

I think this is not really playable in standard, probably playable in modern and vintage, and possibly broken in legacy, probably just really good.

The evacuate effect on flip is really, really strong.

OnPoint

I just think the clues are so incredibly obvious and combined with the fact that Innistrad was moved up to the Spring slot right around when they cancelled the third Emrakul set makes me convinced enough I would be willing to bet actual money that its Emrakul, whether or not Emrakul itself shows up in physical form in the block.

It's either Emrakul or something new. I'm honestly leaning toward Emrakul. But I'd be super curious if it were something fresh.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think Emrakul is in the block. Even though Eldritch Moon implies Emrakul will be mentioned, Emrakul makes more sense to be off in the distance doing God knows what, even if Nahiri is trying to summon him.

1) Her, and 2) yeah I don't think Emrakul is gonna have a card, just that the madness and mutations going on on Innistrad are the results of her distant influence. She'll slip off and they'll have to chase her down again later.

I don't have a problem with the types of set-enabling retcons they do (like, nobody would be better off if they'd kept the original endings for Mirrodin and Ravnica) but in this case I don't think it would be cool just because literally the only thing we really know about Marit Lage is she's frozen in a glacier on Dominaria. If they were gonna tie into that it'd be cooler to have Marit Lage's Second Cousin instead.

Daedardus

hinterlandlogger.jpg
timbershredder.jpg

I'm not a native speaker, but what's up with the English in the flavor text? Shouldn't it be "There's a forester living"? Both is and has seem out of place.

Not to mention that it just wastes a potential connection with the previous block if they use Marit Lage for this. There's no point dumping all that setup to use a different character that ultimately does the exact same thing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";197811233]Not to mention that it just wastes a potential connection with the previous block if they use Marit Lage for this. There's no point dumping all that setup to use a different character that ultimately does the exact same thing.[/QUOTE]

Don't think anybody is saying this is Lage in SOI. Just that'd it be cool to find out Marit is a wayward Eldrazi. Would give a nice connection to their ability to move effortlessly between the planes and connect old Magic to the new.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm not a native speaker, but what's up with the English in the flavor text? Shouldn't it be "There's a forester living"? Both is and has seem out of place.

'There's a forester lives up in the highlands' is grammatically fine, it's probably being used to indicate that the person saying it is a bit of a yokel.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";197811233]Not to mention that it just wastes a potential connection with the previous block if they use Marit Lage for this. There's no point dumping all that setup to use a different character that ultimately does the exact same thing.[/QUOTE]
There is if somehow Marit Lage is connected to the eldrazi. But it's incredibly unlikely

Angry Grimace

It's a vernacular way of speaking. It's sort of a folksy-backwoods way of talking. It's kind of the same reason he says "Tried to sell her an axe" as opposed to "I tried to sell her an axe."

I doubt we'll get a straight up Emrakul card in Eldritch Moon, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got "Vision of Emrakul" as a legendary Eldrazi Shade or something.

It's either Emrakul or they've brought back Marit Lage. Thing in the Ice would be an amusing tease if it were the latter. That's not happening, of course.

I'd love for it to be Marit Lage, but, being unfamiliar with that characters specifics, is she/he/it specific to one plane?

I believe I've read that for some reason it can Planeswalk, but not be a Planeswalker. I could be wrong on that.

I still need a Marit Lage for my Legacy deck that I am building.

bigkrev

Shadows-over-Innistrad-checklist.jpg
eksIEJe2hF_list.png

So is that last colorless flip card on the Rare sheet a Land or a Colorless card? It's not an artifact based on how the pattern looks on the C/U checklist

Angry Grimace

It's probably a land.

They're ordered by collector number, which always goes WUBRG, then multicolored, then colorless artifacts and lands. True colorless stuff like Eldrazi and colorless spells go first, before WUBRG.

Thus, the order is always:

Colorless non-artifact spells
White
Blue
Black
Red
Green
Multicolored (of any type, grouped together)
Artifacts
Nonbasic land
Basic land

Daedardus

Serfs don't always use proper grammar. It's a stylistic flourish.

'There's a forester lives up in the highlands' is grammatically fine, it's probably being used to indicate that the person saying it is a bit of a yokel.

It's a vernacular way of speaking. It's sort of a folksy-backwoods way of talking. It's kind of the same reason he says "Tried to sell her an axe" as opposed to "I tried to sell her an axe."

I see. Still seems off to me since it doesn't seem familiar to me. But I guess the people who speak that way don't have internet or it didn't exist back then. At least I learned three new words today.

Angry Grimace

Hmm... Marit Lage could be a flip card, right?
With basically the token on the back. Or would they not change a reprint like that?

They wouldn't change it and a) Dark Depths is banned in Modern, and b) Dark Depths is a snow land, which would require a weird explanation.

bigkrev

It's probably a land.

They're ordered by collector number, which always goes WUBRG, then multicolored, then colorless artifacts and lands. True colorless stuff like Eldrazi and colorless spells go first, before WUBRG.

Yeah, it's probably a land "Markov Manor" and "Markov Manor, fucked up by a Mysterious white planeswalker"

Also, an intro pack rare
Markov Dreadknight
3BB
Creature - Vampire Knight
Rare
Flying
2B, Discard a card: Put two +1/+1 counters on ~.
3/3

Angry Grimace

Gonna lol if she ends up being a planeswalker on both sides

Why wouldn't she be? They don't print Planeswalkers as creatures and I don't think a Planeswalker is what people were asking for with a GR Werewolf.

Also, a flip walker isn't that exciting because we had that in Magic Origins

Maybe it's a walker that flips into a creature? That hasn't been done before

Would be the biggest troll by WOTC in a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom