• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gold card has to be Arlinn right?

Either she's the gold card and the werewolf legend is next set (or it's a single-sided Tolovar), or she's something wacky like green front/red back and that's the werewolf legend.

Gonna lol if she ends up being a planeswalker on both sides

She 100% is a planeswalker on both sides, Origins-style flipwalkers are for PWs who sparked recently which she isn't, and her entire bio/intro story is set up to establish her as a planeswalker with a human and a werewolf side.

I guess I don't understand the fixation on that particular thing existing.

Whenever the thing is "{x} legendary" it's "to head up a Commander deck about {x}."

Green on the front and red on the back still fits. Or vice versa.
What would the color identity of such a card be for EDH purposes?

I guess I don't understand the fixation on that particular thing existing.
It's something people have been wanting ever since the original Innistrad, and Wizards has on multiple occasions acknowledged it was a fuckup but that there were limited opportunities to correct it. SOI and EDM are basically THE place to print a legendary werewolf.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Either she's the gold card and the werewolf legend is next set (or it's a single-sided Tolovar), or she's something wacky like green front/red back and that's the werewolf legend.

She 100% is a planeswalker on both sides, Origins-style flipwalkers are for PWs who sparked recently which she isn't, and her entire bio/intro story is set up to establish her as a planeswalker with a human and a werewolf side.

Whenever the thing is "{x} legendary" it's "to head up a Commander deck about {x}."
No, I know its for Commander, but I don't know why there's such a fixation on it as though it absolutely needs to exist right now.

WOTC should have trolled and made it an intro pack rare.

ultron87

What would the color identity of such a card be for EDH purposes?

Yep! Color identity includes the "color indicator" thing that shows up on the back of DFCs (to the left of the type line). So, for example, Archangel Avacyn is a RW commander because Avacyn, the Purifier has a Red color indicator.

No, I know its for Commander, but I don't know why there's such a fixation on it as though it absolutely needs to exist right now.
Logistical difficulties of printing a singleton DFC card, mostly. It's easier/not impossible to make such a card when the whole block lets you collate multiple DFCs onto a single sheet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well, I mean they're going to print it, I just don't think they're going to blow a Planeswalker on the card.

As far as I understood, she can only retain her original form on Innistrad meaning she can't shift forms anywhere else.

That way she could be a creature on the front.

She can switch forms only on Innistrad, but she's lucid in both forms and capable of planeswalking. As pointed out when the character was first revealed, this presumably leaves them open to print an Arlinn card in another set without it having to be double-faced.

I think that's so they can print her single sided, on either form, later on

She can switch forms only on Innistrad, but she's lucid in both forms and capable of planeswalking. As pointed out when the character was first revealed, this presumably leaves them open to print an Arlinn card in another set without it having to be double-faced.

but then it'd have little meaning for her to be a werewolf since 9 out of 10 times with her the human form would be more convenient on other planes

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I see. Still seems off to me since it doesn't seem familiar to me. But I guess the people who speak that way don't have internet or it didn't exist back then. At least I learned three new words today.

It's pretty archaic and non-standard.

Angry Grimace

As far as I understood, she can only retain her original form on Innistrad meaning she can't shift forms anywhere else.

That way she could be a creature on the front.

It's unclear whether that restriction was something that only happened on her first planeswalk or whether it persists off-world.

Angry Grimace

I would be surprised if there isn't a mythic something that can trade in a ton of clues for something gamebreaking, or even just winning the game a la Maze's End.

I would be surprised if there isn't a mythic something that can trade in a ton of clues for something gamebreaking, or even just winning the game a la Maze's End.

It would be a huge failure if there isn't. I mean we've already seen Tamiyo's Journal so we know they're doing stuff in that direction, but there should really be a huge one.

but then it'd have little meaning for her to be a werewolf since 9 out of 10 times with her the human form would be more convenient on other planes

I don't get it. She's a werewolf because (a) a werewolf is cool and (b) in Innistrad it lets her be a two-sided PW that flips back and forth. It doesn't make any sense at all for her to have a creature side.

Hero

MaRo loves his alternate win condition cards so I wouldn't be surprised if there was one that said if you had 13 clues you win the game.

MaRo loves his alternate win condition cards so I wouldn't be surprised if there was one that said if you had 13 clues you win the game.

Piece Together the Puzzle
3U R
Sorcery

As an additional cost to cast ~, Sacrifice all clues you control

Search your library for a card with CMC X or less and put it into your hand, where X is the number of clues you sacrificed. If X is equal to 13, you win the game.

"It was Emrakul, in the Blind Eternities, with a Tentacle!"-Jace

Toxi

Banned
en_Uo24yZGE3R.png

Love the curtain/tentacle thing going on here.
That art really reminds me of a lot of pre-Ravnica artwork.

I wonder if the art direction is less strict for this set than it was for the past few blocks. If so, I approve of the change.

I wonder if the art direction is less strict for this set than it was for the past few blocks. If so, I approve of the change.

People said the same thing about Tooth Collector.
en_ALsO5YHdrT.png

Of course, we'll have to see if this continues with "Lock", but they may be listening to the people wishing for a wider variety of art styles.

red13th

It's done by Christopher Moeller, he's one of the few old time artists who still does artwork these days, since Urza's Saga apparently. I'm glad he's back for SoI since he had nothing in BFZ. John Avon too, he's done the Clue token so I hope there are some lands done by him.

Honestly astounded. ChannelFireball can't somehow convince a single one of their people to float a draft video up in 3 weeks. Or, they can't be bothered to post one.

GatheringMagic isn't quite so sparse, but even they are struggling to string together one a week.

kirblar

Honestly astounded. ChannelFireball can't somehow convince a single one of their people to float a draft video up in 3 weeks. Or, they can't be bothered to post one.

GatheringMagic isn't quite so sparse, but even they are struggling to string together one a week.
Drafts have so much fuckery w/ errors relative to constructed.

Also, Leagues are just way easier for people.

pigeon

Banned
It would be a huge failure if there isn't. I mean we've already seen Tamiyo's Journal so we know they're doing stuff in that direction, but there should really be a huge one.

I don't get it. She's a werewolf because (a) a werewolf is cool and (b) in Innistrad it lets her be a two-sided PW that flips back and forth. It doesn't make any sense at all for her to have a creature side.

Bumbling Fool 1U
Creature -- Human Mage
UU, T: Investigate. If you have 13 clues, transform ~.
1/1
---
Ace Attorney
Creature -- Human Lawyer
Sacrifice a Clue: Counter target spell.
2/3 Vigilance

Toxi

Banned
Bumbling Fool 1U
Creature -- Human Mage
1/1
---
Ace Attorney
Creature -- Human Lawyer
2/3 Vigilance
At beginning of each upkeep, if Ace Attorney is controlled by Hasbro, transform it.

Angry Grimace

Drafts have so much fuckery w/ errors relative to constructed.

Also, Leagues are just way easier for people.
I always assumed they just don't post the ones where they fuck up and lose.

Bumbling Fool 1U
Creature -- Human Mage
1/1
---
Ace Attorney
Creature -- Human Lawyer
2/3 Vigilance

Marvel vs. Capcom version:

Front - UR, T: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, investigate. Otherwise, put a Red Herring token into play with "If a Clue token would enter the battlefield, exile it instead." and "2, sacrifice this: gain 1 life."

Back - T: Target player loses the game.

kirblar

From Maro's blog, it sounds like there's a guaranteed C/U DFC slot in the pack, while the R/M are mixed in with the others.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I always assumed they just don't post the ones where they fuck up and lose.

The modern videos have been hilarious since the Eldrazi Uprising. "Well, let's see if we...oops, welp onto game 2." One video, I think from Caleb, he built a deck to specifically combat Eldrazi then didn't face a single one. Funny shit.

From Maro's blog, it sounds like there's a guaranteed C/U DFC slot in the pack, while the R/M are mixed in with the others.

Where does he bring this up? I don't remember reading that.

Anyway, also on Blogatog, they considered unearth, and the reason why it was rejected is interesting
iceaxe852 asked: Was unearth ever considered for Innistrad? It seems to match flavorfully and mechanically.

It came up but we decided to stay away from flashback.
That has a couple of possible implications. Most likely, they just didn't want SOI gameplay to be so similar to Innistrad, and they didn't want feel-bad moments where using flashback/unearth would shut off delirium.

kirblar

He's refusing to state that there's 1 DFC per pack, only that you should always open one.

That means you can get two, and that's how you do it.

My point is she loses any novelty if she gets to decide what she'll be outside Innistrad she might as well not be cursed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom