• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adder

Banned
My point is she loses any novelty if she gets to decide what she'll be outside Innistrad she might as well not be cursed.

She isn't really "cursed" anymore anyways. She embraces being a werewolf. As such, she's most likely happy to planeswalk as either or. It's probably more prudent to do it as a wolf anyway, given there are no guarantees of human dominance, but danger is a sure thing.

OnPoint

Thing in the Ice already preordering high ($12-$15 so far) and it appears it started higher than I would have gone in on it. Apparently we weren't the only group high on that card haha

El Topo

Thing in the Ice already preordering high ($12-$15 so far) and it appears it started higher than I would have gone in on it. Apparently we weren't the only group high on that card haha

It seems overhyped. Four counters is probably too much and since it's a creature there's some easy disruption out there. It might work in Standard and as a tool against certain decks, but it's not the be-all-end-all. There's just too much competition at the 2CC spot in most formats.
Could be a great card, but clearly no Goyf.

OnPoint

It seems overhyped. Four counters is probably too much and since it's a creature there's some easy disruption out there. It might work in Standard and as a tool against certain decks, but it's not the be-all-end-all. There's just too much competition at the 2CC spot in most formats.

I'm inclined to agree with the feeling that it's overhyped. I've been wrong about that CMC in that color before (*cough* mini Jace *cough) but I've been wrong about that CMC in general (I still have a pile of Skylashers from when I was, well, greener). I won't be buying in at this price -- I think we have the right idea on this one. I'll pick it up for funsies when it drops to a much lower price.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yup Reflector Mage is going to make people playing that sad.

Haines

Banned
I'm doing a proxy of the entire set before it releases. Doing 2 copies of each and sleeving each one.

The leaks kind if fueled the idea with so many Commons already.

I have everything done shown so far and only cost was sleeves bought with store credit that I can obviously reuse.

For limited obviously. Lots of play testing will be happening.

OnPoint

Without fetches I assume Reflector Mage is not going to be as widespread as it is today.

You really think Relfector Mage is going to disappear because fetches do? I would imagine the amount of 4-Color Good Stuff decks we see now will decrease for sure, so in sheer numbers, maybe you're right. But I think Reflector Mage will still find a comfortable place in the regularly played cards group of the next standard configuration.

Firemind

Don't Reflector Mage and Avacyn present insane value? Might even be good enough to replicate the dreaded Snapcaster Mage + Restoration Angel combo. Just needs Mana Leak I suppose.
LOL

You really think Relfector Mage is going to disappear because fetches do? I would imagine the amount of 4-Color Good Stuff decks we see now will decrease for sure, so in sheer numbers, maybe you're right. But I think Reflector Mage will still find a comfortable place in the regularly played cards group of the next standard configuration.

4C good stuff decks won't decrease after rotation, they'll cease to exist altogether. 3C decks are going to take a huge hit too. Standard will be a completely different beast, we really don't know what will be good or not.

ultron87

Wonder what dual lands we'll get in SoI, if any. Obviously could just reprint the Innistrad enemy color buddy lands, (Isolated Chapel et al) since they play real well with the battle lands. But would those play too well? That'd get us back to Standard mana bases similar to RTR/Innistrad which made 3 colors pretty convenient to play.

Firemind

The U/W flash deck was just a value tempo deck.

I could easily see a future U/W tempo deck playing Reflector Mage t3, bouncing something. Opponent plays another creature. You counter it with Ojutai's Command or whatever. T5 Ojutai. T6 attack with Avacyn backup.

Edit: Great now I look silly after you edited. :p

She isn't really "cursed" anymore anyways. She embraces being a werewolf. As such, she's most likely happy to planeswalk as either or. It's probably more prudent to do it as a wolf anyway, given there are no guarantees of human dominance, but danger is a sure thing.

Except she's in danger to be murdered in more places as a werewolf than a human

Firemind

4C good stuff decks won't decrease after rotation, they'll cease to exist altogether. 3C decks are going to take a huge hit too. Standard will be a completely different beast, we really don't know what will be good or not.
I'm pretty sure UWR will still be a deck. It still has two manlands to work with and Ojutai's Command + Dragonmaster Outcast is still insane value.

My point is she loses any novelty if she gets to decide what she'll be outside Innistrad she might as well not be cursed.

She's not really cursed? That's the whole point? We already did the cursed-PW thing with Garruk anyway. I'm honestly perplexed here.

I agree with all of this completely, although if I wanted to look for something that would still be good after existing archetypes and manabases are blown up, an efficient two-color creature with a crushing tempo ETBT ability would be one decent place to start.

Wonder what dual lands we'll get in SoI, if any.

There's still gonna be a dual land cycle in every block, the two-block paradigm isn't gonna change that -- they have to replace the ones we'd get from the core set.

MjFrancis

Shadows-over-Innistrad-checklist.jpg
eksIEJe2hF_list.png

So is that last colorless flip card on the Rare sheet a Land or a Colorless card? It's not an artifact based on how the pattern looks on the C/U checklist

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/49isty/soi_the_first_letter_of_the_colorless_mythic_is_m/

I'm fairly convinced that this is Markov Manor after reading this thread. After seeing the art for Declaration in Stone, it has good reason to flip too.

She's not really cursed? That's the whole point? We already did the cursed-PW thing with Garruk anyway. I'm honestly perplexed here.

she is still cursed she just came to terms with it and has control over it but she was still bitten and remains cursed. My point is that if she's just another human walker when not a DFC she's really just another of a dozen.

OnPoint

I guess that's what I meant by "decrease" haha But I agree, and I'm excited to see how it will change.

My point is that if she's just another human walker when not a DFC she's really just another of a dozen.

Yes, that point is bizarre and makes no sense.

I'm fairly convinced that this is Markov Manor after reading this thread. After seeing the art for Declaration in Stone, it has good reason to flip too.

Yeah, I am confident that is accurate, it's perfectly situated in the story to be a flip card and this is the last chance they'd have to print it as a land pre-destruction anyway.

Toxi

Banned
I didn't realize Arlinn Kord already had her art shown. Looks cool.

It's funny how the only way to get an older-looking planeswalker past the marketing team is to make them a werewolf.

bigkrev

Wonder what dual lands we'll get in SoI, if any. Obviously could just reprint the Innistrad enemy color buddy lands, (Isolated Chapel et al) since they play real well with the battle lands. But would those play too well? That'd get us back to Standard mana bases similar to RTR/Innistrad which made 3 colors pretty convenient to play.

Im thinking it's the M10 allied ones- the cycle rotating out is allied. They also play well/tricky with the BFZ lands, in that they don't enable consistent 3 color decks

El Topo

Not every deck can stretch its mana base to play Reflector Mage. Maybe Burn or Aggro will dominate. Maybe Green will be the go-to color that all other colors will bow to. Either way, it will still be around, no doubt about that. It's too good to go away.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They should bring back filter lands.

No reason or anything. I guess they would be good with people wanting to play Eldrazi decks since they tap for C but mostly just because why not

Is she? Remember, she's intelligent as a wolf. Is a wolf person any more limely to be murdered for being a wolf person than a cat persom is for being a cat persin? Or a bird person for being a bird person.
If I had to guess I would say a bird person is pretty likely to be murdered by a cat person

Toxi

Banned
Is she? Remember, she's intelligent as a wolf. Is a wolf person any more limely to be murdered for being a wolf person than a cat persom is for being a cat persin? Or a bird person for being a bird person.
I'd wager the dragons, the gorgon, and the demon are gonna have a lot more trouble in the "not getting attacked on sight on every new world" aspect of planeswalking.

OnPoint

They should bring back filter lands.

No reason or anything. I guess they would be good with people wanting to play Eldrazi decks since they tap for C but mostly just because why not

I would love if they did. They're a bit too pricey these days. I'd also love if they brought back and completed the Fastlands cycle. Blackcleave Cliffs is like $30 now, which is absurd.

ultron87

Also in wolf form she'd have supernatural strength so that probably helps with the not getting ganked.

Angry Grimace

I can only guess that if you were left with just the lands we have now, the correct answer to what lands you play probably involves playing Evolving Wilds in constructed.

I'm pretty sure UWR will still be a deck. It still has two manlands to work with and Ojutai's Command + Dragonmaster Outcast is still insane value.

It really all depends on if it's possible to make the mana work. We're losing fetches and the tri-lands and the BfZ duals are about to get a lot slower than they already are. We've yet to see what kind of mana SoI will provide but it doesn't look like the set will be big on multicolor mechanics.

And Ojutai's Command is pretty damn sweet with Madness around. Securing a playset while it's only a couple bucks might not be a bad idea.

I would guess that werewolves are seen as inherently more threatening, especially on planes that don't have werewolves.

OnPoint

It really all depends on if it's possible to make the mana work. We're losing fetches and the tri-lands and the BfZ duals are about to get a lot slower than they already are. We've yet to see what kind of mana SoI will provide but it doesn't look like the set will be big on multicolor mechanics.

And Ojutai's Command is pretty damn sweet with Madness around. Securing a playset while it's only a couple bucks might not be a bad idea.

This bears highlighting. I think they're knocking the flavor out of the park with SoI, and I like that it's going to have its own identity mechanically as well, despite transform returning. OG Innistrad had the multicolor flashback cards which gave it more of a gold feeling than this appears it's going to have.

Firemind

People were playing Lightning Angel when she was legal and the only dual lands you had at that time were tapped allied lands and painlands.

Angry Grimace

There's likely to be a bunch of effects that let you fuck with graveyards to get people off of Delirium, though.

I would love if they did. They're a bit too pricey these days. I'd also love if they brought back and completed the Fastlands cycle. Blackcleave Cliffs is like $30 now, which is absurd.

Agreed on both points. The filterlands are a pretty fair set of duals -- I think the hybrid symbols are the biggest thing keeping them back. And the Scars fastlands are underappreciated and could really use a finished set. (I've actually been wondering for a while if they'd print the enemy set of those here the way they printed the enemy checklands in the first Innistrad.)

This bears highlighting. I think they're knocking the flavor out of the park with SoI, and I like that it's going to have its own identity mechanically as well, despite transform returning. OG Innistrad had the multicolor flashback cards which gave it more of a gold feeling than this appears it's going to have.

The set's gonna have gold cards (necessary to support all those two-color tribes, as well as for the inevitable limited archetypes) but yeah, doesn't seem like it's going to be a strong theme at all, probably notably less so than BFZ.

People were playing Lightning Angel when she was legal and the only dual lands you had at that time were tapped allied lands and painlands.

We'll see if those mana bases can be consistent and fast enough to be tier 1. There is no doubt it's going to be more difficult moving forward.

If I had to venture a guess, Enemy colors are going to be huge on Innistrad. There's a huge upside without the Fetches to just run 4x Painlands and 4x Manlands vs 4x Santa and 4x Discount Duals.

Angry Grimace

We'll see if those mana bases can be consistent and fast enough to be tier 1. There is no doubt it's going to be more difficult moving forward.

The real issue is that the incentives to go 3 color are far less when you're in a "normal" standard where there aren't 3-colored cards and everything good has double-single color requirements. Cards like Drana, or Undergrowth Champ, etc. don't see play because playing 1GG is actually harder than WBG when you can pull up on-demand duals.

We know maybe 10% of the cards in SOI so far, but the most generically OP cards in the enviornment are what, Gideon and Avacyn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom