• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

Most creatures are useless on turn 1... you know, unless they have haste? It's more along the lines of Carnophage, Sarcomancy and Gravecrawler. If mono-black Eldrazi has an aggro build in standard, this will be in it.

I mean, you'll surely lose a life next turn because you can't play a second creature on turn 1. It's OK if you can play two of them at turn 2 though, but I'm not sure how the curve will play out. Maybe the life loss won't matter, but it can add up after a while if an opponent plays it smart.

Matriox

AOF4OER.png

Seems great, hit another one off the top for maximum lols.

DrArchon

Aggressively costed and it always replaces itself on death, sometimes having the replacement skip your hand altogether. Yeah I'm diggin' it.

I'm pretty sure they had some design troubled that caused them redo BFZ at the last time and using all the good things left over in Oath.
Yeah it was then switching to the two-block paradigm. MaRo even admitted they had to turn over the file unfinished and development had to finish design for them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm pretty sure they had some design troubled that caused them redo BFZ at the last time and using all the good things left over in Oath.

This can hit a land, right?

Yes, this is another card that's busted with Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple.

Mono-Black or B/W Eldrazi is probably a thing in standard too, really. Even at one turn a time, the curve is full of big dumb value guys.

This can hit a land, right?

it's weird because it says put it on the battlefield, lands aren't there are they ? I'm not sure hah

edit : ok, yeah it just says permanent with CMC <= 3 so it makes sense

ironmang

It's a 2CMC 1/1 creature with flash and ability to sac for mana that can also be used as a conditional counter or creature removal.

It's absolutely goddamn insane.

I just dont see what deck really wants this besides possibly tron as a sideboard answer to twin with bonus of countering scapeshift. "absolutely goddamn insane" should be reserved for cards like Snapcaster lol.

Crocodile

cb91713d-136f-4df4-8ce7-945959fd2ab2.png

Via Manadeprived.com

Sweet. More good one drops and in every color plz <3

It's a Savannah Lions that seems pretty useless on turn 1. You won't get much life advantage from it, I guess.

How is it useless on turn one? Hitting you opponent for 2+ on turn two is something aggro decks want to do. If BR Eldrazi aggro is a thing this seems like a snap include. the life differential isn't important, just getting you opponent dead fast is.

El Topo

How is it useless on turn one? Hitting you opponent for 2+ on turn two is something aggro decks want to do. If BR Eldrazi aggro is a thing this seems like a snap include.

Is there any deck that plays Kytheon? Because if that card doesn't cut it, why would this one?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's 2/1 in black that can block. That's why it has a drawback. There are other 2/1's in black but they typically can't block.

Daedardus

How is it useless on turn one? Hitting you opponent for 2+ on turn two is something aggro decks want to do. If BR Eldrazi aggro is a thing this seems like a snap include. the life differential isn't important, just getting you opponent dead fast is.

I think it just depends on the format. Eldrazi standard, yes. But Eldrazi Modern? I think there are better options instead, especially with Eye and Temple.

OnPoint

I mean, you'll surely lose a life next turn because you can't play a second creature on turn 1. It's OK if you can play two of them at turn 2 though, but I'm not sure how the curve will play out. Maybe the life loss won't matter, but it can add up after a while if an opponent plays it smart.

I mean this with no disrespect, but have you ever played with or against an aggro deck using this kind of card before? This card isn't anything new. And it's cut from the same cloth of other good black 2/1s for 1.

I think it just depends on the format. Eldrazi standard, yes. But Eldrazi Modern? I think there are better options instead, especially with Eye and Temple.

So you're just arguing it's not great in Modern? I agree with that. I'm talking about Standard.

Daedardus

I mean this with no disrespect, but have you ever played with or against an aggro deck using this kind of card before? This card isn't anything new. And it's cut from the same cloth of other good black 2/1s for 1.

So you're just arguing it's not great in Modern? I agree with that. I'm talking about Standard.

Yeah, I was only talking about Modern, I don't play or have interest in Standard. Sorry, should have made that clear.

And, yes, it's a fit for Standard aggro decks, I know how they work. I'm not saying it's a weak card, regarding the color pie a black 2/1 1CMC is quite strong, I just don't deem it useful enough in the more faster formats where losing life is crucial.

red13th

yeah Modern has Gravecrawler and Diregraf Ghoul which are much better.
I hate those <> cards, I pretty much have to figure a way to cube them now, they look sooo good. Stop showing cool <> cards! :(

Crocodile

Is there any deck that plays Kytheon? Because if that card doesn't cut it, why would this one?

Because it would go in a different shell? It's the same reason Jackal Pup is "better" in Savannah Lions because the shell the former goes into is often a more successful aggro deck than the shell Lions goes into. I dunno if this card will actually see play to be honest but "what about Kytheon?" isn't a completely fair comparison. Also, formats can change to be more accommodating to certain decks too. Maybe Kytheon sucks right now but maybe it might be better in the future (I'm not saying it will be but I'm just saying there is a LOT of precedence for cards getting better in formats ans new cards enter or old ones leave).

Who was talking about Modern? I don't think anyone else was talking about Modern and if you were that wasn't clear until your most recent post.

When was rakdos aggro ever a thing?

Pretty recently when Lifebane Zombie and Knight of Infamy were still around. You've got other examples moving further back too.

OnPoint

Am I crazy for suggesting this set is similar to New Phyrexia in terms of good-yet-weird stuff? It has a similar game-changing feeling to me.

Also, why is Nissa preordering at $25. That's hilarious to me. Hopefully I don't have to eat this post in the future, but I just don't see how I would.

Angry Grimace

White weenies is an archetype that WOTC has supported forever despite it not having been good in forever.

f0rk

Does Eye of Ugin remove the <> from casting costs? Like can I cast a (1)<> spell without paying anything, or a (2)<> spell by tapping a swamp with eye out?

Angry Grimace

No. It does what it says it does - reduce generic mana costs by 2.

red13th

Thinking of moving the tribrids (Tasigur, Alesha etc) to their respective colours, adding Eldrazi Displacer, Dimensional Infiltrator, Bearer of Silence, Eldrazi Obligator and Vile Redeemer as "Rainbows" since they are multicolour cards in a sense. Or as the 51st cards of their respective colours whatever.
Not sure which colourless mana generatos are good enough to support them, though. I thought of Tendo Ice Bridge, Boreal Druid and maybe Palladium Myr. So sad that I don't have room for many. :/

Angry Grimace

I don't think it's obvious given what Ancient Tomb used to say.

If it reduced costs by &#9830;&#9830; it would reduce the cost of one card because there's only one card that has &#9830;&#9830; - &#9830; as a cost isn't any different than any other color.

Angry Grimace

The thing this set is doing that I like is giving a real incentive to run a deck that is not 4 colored with 13 fetchlands

Crocodile

Am I crazy for suggesting this set is similar to New Phyrexia in terms of good-yet-weird stuff? It has a similar game-changing feeling to me.

Also, why is Nissa preordering at $25. That's hilarious to me. Hopefully I don't have to eat this post in the future, but I just don't see how I would.

It doesn't have GAME-BREAKING stuff like Phyrexian Mana or just regular nuts stuff like Karn or Batterskull (as far as I can tell) but yeah, the more of this set gets revealed, the more I think of New Phyrexia in comparison in terms of sheer number of playables and potential playables.

Jhriad

I don't think it's obvious given what Ancient Tomb used to say.

You only swap out the old grey numbers if it was mana being produced, in which case it was actually producing C rather than generic mana. For instance, Sol Ring, because it produced colorless mana it changes. If it had instead been formatted like Eye of Ugin where it refers to a cost rather than producing mana it stays the same because in that case it was actually referring to generic mana rather than colorless mana. It's confusing but I hope that helps.

Am I crazy for suggesting this set is similar to New Phyrexia in terms of good-yet-weird stuff?

I mean Phyrexian Mana is a high bar to reach (not sure anything in here's gonna see a multi-format banning) but it's probably the high-water-mark since. The &#10023; cards do weird and unusual things and have potential in an odd array of decks, so it's clearly having an effect a bit broader than usual.

Angry Grimace

Yup, its Mirari's Wake except lol it costs 7

It's EDH.card

ultron87

I feel like that reminder text is just going to make people thing about colorless as a color of mana even though it says "types".

DrArchon

If I'm spending 7 mana on an enchantment in standard it better damn well close out the game on its own. Great in EDH, looks like crap everywhere else.

Auto-include for Animar though.

bigkrev

en_6op9P9wbjS.png

Oh they gave that art to a card..

Cute card in that it lets you draw your entire deck while getting a ton of mana with a Palincron (not infinite because the card draw is manditory)

However, I guess you could have a Lab Maniac somewhere in your deck and use this to find it....

Firemind

In this Standard? Never as far as I know.

In previous Standards? There was a deck in Inn/RTR Standard that made waves for a time.
Really now? Can't say I remember. It's all a blur.

The one R/B aggro deck I remember was a deck playing Dark Confidant and Greater Gargadon, :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom