• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

I should've gone and played Modern today. Wonder if it would just be Twin players taking the old girl out for one more drive while it is still technically legal.

Ashodin

jXwGU9r.gif

Wooh top ten be always shufflin'

red13th

Watching Caleb Durward from ChannelFireball playing cube, he drafted a blue deck with Master of the Waves and went against two mono red decks in his first two games. :lol

Chorazin

Played in the weekend's pre-release event, went 2-0-2, came in 7th and scored 6 free packs. Now to hibernate until the next set comes out and do it's pre-release!

Played a Blue-Red control-esque deck with medium creatures and Surge goodness. Didn't pull anything of note. :(

Watching Caleb Durward from ChannelFireball playing cube, he drafted a blue deck with Master of the Waves and went against two mono red decks in his first two games. :lol

he also had a windswept heath yet passed Tropical Island twice while contemplating the lack of mana fixing for his deck. And he scooped to an Abyssal Persecutor w/o a sac outlet

Holy fuck did they ever screw up with Jace.

Turns out having 5 cards in your GY on turn 3 isn't hard for a format with frequently played 1 Mana spells, Fetches galore, etc, especially not when you can then flashback your any spells.

I'm 90% certain Jace is going to drop in use in Standard once the Fetches rotate though, his insane value is partially tied to Fetches being everywhere in the format.

Turns out having 5 cards in your GY on turn 3 isn't hard for a format with frequently played 1 Mana spells, Fetches galore, etc, especially not when you can then flashback your any spells.

I'm 90% certain Jace is going to drop in use in Standard once the Fetches rotate though, his insane value is partially tied to Fetches being everywhere in the format.
I already sold my jaces despite his potential in SOI. I'm skipping this standard format and I already have a finished Modern deck so I get more value from 200 bucks.

I'm slowly assembling my Modern Deck. The Bans didn't hurt me, if anything they helped the deck I'm building I just wish Horizon Canopy wasn't so fricking expensive :(

Daedardus

I'm slowly assembling my Modern Deck. The Bans didn't hurt me, if anything they helped the deck I'm building I just wish Horizon Canopy wasn't so fricking expensive :(

Like, for real. It's a painland that can net you an extra card, for sure, it's a above decent card. More so with Crucible. But it only being in Future Sight didn't help the price I think.

Like, for real. It's a painland that can net you an extra card, for sure, it's a above decent card. More so with Crucible. But it only being in Future Sight didn't help the price I think.

I'm really hoping that Wizards makes Horizon Canopy's cycle in a future set. They like cycling as a mechanic and there's nothing broken about them in their design.

bigkrev

So, what should I do with my Ugins? I'm never going to play Tron, and a Duel Deck reprint is unlikely, but possible. Should I trade/sell now, or hold a year or 2 for Modern demand?

Haines

Banned
Do you guys tend to agree with lr limited set reviews? I like to listen to it again after i played with the cards. Looking forward to the rare reviews this week

bigkrev

Do you guys tend to agree with lr limited set reviews? I like to listen to it again after i played with the cards. Looking forward to the rare reviews this week

Set reviews before time has passed for people can have a lot of problems. When they had triple Mirrodin drafts on MTGO 2 weeks ago, I was amazed that Viridian Longbow (which I knew from previous experience was a bomb) would table. I then figured out why- people who weren't familiar with the format were finding articles from 2003, where the set was released, and none of those articles were talking about how good Viridian Longbow was, because it took time for people to realize how good it was.

Set reviews this early are fine to use as a baseline, but don't obey them like gospel. In a month, when there have been 10s of thousands of drafts to use as data, we will have a better understanding of the format.

And yeah modern has become everything it was intended to solve. There is nothing modern anymore about playing with 12 year old cards.

The problems Modern was intended to solve were "Extended sucks" and "we don't have an old-cards format that isn't hurt by the reserved list" and it did fine solving both of those.

I never understood why they didn't just rotate out older sets after a while.

The entire point of Modern is that it doesn't rotate. Modern that rotates is Extended which is and was a garbage format.

They better print a Burnwillows cycle. But maybe they will be too broken.

There is like zero chance, lol.

That's just a win more card. It does literally nothing on its own and has zero synergy with itself

Heck I'd play Titanic ultimatum over it, at least that'd win me a game instantaneously if I have creatures

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mah beta access :( It's broken so I can't bask in glorious broken OGW cards.

As for "what if Tron gets banned" I don't even know what would get banned in Tron. Karn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom