• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ulamog is the reason I want a good reanimation spell for my cube.

Hmmm that's true.

They could use the manifest aura template. Only downside is aura tutors

32.jpg

Haines

Banned
Thanks yeef shrapnel etc.

I'll check out judges corner. I'm Canadian so not sure what magic online prices are like here but I'll check it out tonight when I get a chance.

Phantom drafts interest me. I assume they are a cheaper draft variant on there?

Now my buddy can't do fmn so we might try and grab another prerelease box at sealed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"That's right," Chandra said. "I'm a glorious beacon of mana and light, you bastards."

sigh

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Welp. I'm out. No more Magic for me. When it's gotten to the point where Tumblr slash fic on their official site, I cannot any longer support this hobby. I'm going to take up something less expensive and damaging to my self-esteem. Like crack.

Adaren

So i get an hour or two with a friend a week and fmn. I try to jump into duels but its almost offensive how bad it is

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'm curious what you find offensively bad about Duels.

If you're looking for an intuitive understanding of the stack / phases / combat / priority for $0 in under an hour, I'd say it's pretty darn good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Basically, Chandra's like "where's Gideon!?" and then Tazri tells her, "in some cave," so she leads the swarm away from Tazri's forces and heads for the very convenient cave where Ob Nixilis has very conveniently decided to torture Jace, Gideon and Nissa rather than just kill them because "I AM EVUL!" Chandra loses anyways, but then Jace, who courageously stays awake during this encounter, tells her to kill the Eldrazi Spawn that are actually imprisoning them. She does, and then they all escape and with their powers combined, summon Captain Planet, defeat Ob Nixilis who make a super-villain threat to chase them down as he leaves.

Apparently Eugene, who is in fact on Zendikar and just hanging around, didn't want to help because reasons.

WanderingWind

Oh, shit. It's brilliant, actually. "How come the walker from the Indian plane, with Indian parents, who has an Indian name, is whiter than two polar bears fucking on a mountain of cocaine? Huh? Scared of minorities, Grand Wizards of the Coast?"

"Uh...but she's a lesbian?"

Angry Grimace

Oh, shit. It's brilliant, actually. "How come the walker from the Indian plane, with Indian parents, who has an Indian name, is whiter than two polar bears fucking on a mountain of cocaine? Huh? Scared of minorities, Grand Wizards of the Coast?"

there's pretty much no shipping in this and she talks to nissa for like one sentence

Daedardus

Grimace. If I hold somebody's hands and talk about how soft they are, they're either lotion salesmen or I'm trying to get it. Do you talk about how your dad's hands are soft? No.

When's the last time you saw two girls talking? :p "Oh, that foundation looks so good on you, I like your dress, did you get new lipstick?"

Angry Grimace

Grimace. If I hold somebody's hands and talk about how soft they are, they're either lotion salesmen or I'm trying to get it. Do you talk about how your dad's hands are soft? No.

I'm pretty sure its just Doug's purple prose. I find it highly unlikely that handshake was meant to set off a Nissa/Chandra fleet.

lol

OnPoint

The sapphic vibes between Chandra and Nissa are the least of our worries...

Chandra stood with the others. Jace's hair was ruffled boyishly, belying his usual air of mystery. Gideon looked battered, but he had a grin on his face that made his facial hair crooked.

"Knew you'd come," he said.

"But I told you no," Chandra said with a raised eyebrow.

"I knew," Gideon said.

What happened to 'no means no' in the Magic universe, Wizards??

Angry Grimace

If you go back and look at the stuff from this blocks story they all have a similar degree of sorta sexual tension when they meet - Jace and Nissa do something sorts similar.

also lol @ Kiora just being a punk and being Heaven knows where

I suppose that counts as passing the bechdel test.

Owen and God's Beard are like soul brothers. Check out the end of this article.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/study-the-tape/
Owen being my favorite magic player only becomes more true every day.

I got relevant sideboarding information just by walking past him at the GP.

I wonder what Wizards think we'll think when reading anything about Jace.

Or otherwise said what does it say about MtG when Jace is the centerpiece supposed to appeal to the biggest audience.

Ashodin

Hey I have a Jace EDH deck. Shows what you know!

This comment on Reddit made me rofl

"I have achieved the market-tested amount of success to prove I am a credible villain," Ob Nixilis shouted in triumph. "Now I will fold like a house of cards. Goodbye."

I'm currently trying to trade for a JTMS and have been considering making a Jace EDH deck myself since I already have all the others except Living Guildpact.

Doesn't change that the character is awful, boring and literally going around raping the minds of people.

Crocodile

As I've said before, there seems to be a real lack of Magic Fan Art. I assure you that if there was a more vibrant fanart community, there would be Chandra/Nissa yuri art up on Tumblr within a day :p

Is that a real sentence? LMAO

Haines

Banned
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'm curious what you find offensively bad about Duels.

If you're looking for an intuitive understanding of the stack / phases / combat / priority for $0 in under an hour, I'd say it's pretty darn good.

I mean, i could go on about it, but there isnt much point. Arent they releasing oath cards when innistrad comes out? theres reason enough to not bother,

Im going to set up a magic online account now. If theres a startup cost, im willing to pay, but past that, i wont be willing to pay for digital drafts when i can do real ones, or free ones. But you guys reccomended it for learning the many intricacies of magic, so here we go,

Edit: holy shit. The create a new account system is unavailable, ok....this thing is living up to its reputation already...

Ashodin

What's funny is that the other Jace Planeswalkers compete with having Jace Vryn's Prodigy as your commander. They're dead draws if you've flipped him already. So I just put in clockspinning, thrummingbird, and protection in the form of steal yo shit.

WanderingWind

I mean, i could go on about it, but there isnt much point. Arent they releasing oath cards when innistrad comes out? theres reason enough to not bother,

Im going to set up a magic online account now. If theres a startup cost, im willing to pay, but past that, i wont be willing to pay for digital drafts when i can do real ones, or free ones. But you guys reccomended it for learning the many intricacies of magic, so here we go,

Edit: holy shit. The create a new account system is unavailable, ok....this thing is living up to its reputation already...

Every Wednesday at this time they take it down for updates. http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/magic-online-products-game-info

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
A few story details about SOI from the upcoming art book:

tumblr_o189scNJjf1rtban5o1_1280.png

Planeswalkers of the Vanguard? A different group than the Gatewatch?

kirblar

Probably one of the names they were using before settling on Gatewatch.

Oh hi Emrakul.

And yeah, Lantern is an eventual ban as soon as people reliably start doing well with it.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192765725]https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/com...im_zac_elsik_1st_place_at_gp_oklahoma/cvc6ix4

Zac Elsik on lantern's win percentages from a few months ago lol

I know people are more aware of it now, but it's still crazy. I'm surprised more people don't play it.

Even when I first picked it up I was on here all the time saying how awesome it was. So much fun.[/QUOTE]

It's one of those decks they didn't ban because you can't ban three decks at once. This is, in fact, an actual decision people make all of the time; in fact, lots of pros said they didn't want to play Bloom because they don't want to play a deck that gets banned.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192765725]https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/com...im_zac_elsik_1st_place_at_gp_oklahoma/cvc6ix4

Zac Elsik on lantern's win percentages from a few months ago lol

I know people are more aware of it now, but it's still crazy. I'm surprised more people don't play it.

Even when I first picked it up I was on here all the time saying how awesome it was. So much fun.[/QUOTE]
Makes me wonder if Bloom players will gravitate toward it next, and if it's so strong, if it will somehow see the axe in the future.

Angry Grimace

Makes me wonder if Bloom players will gravitate toward it next, and if it's so strong, if it will somehow see the axe in the future.

It has the same issue Bloom did, where some people assume its not a bannable deck because it survived a round or two of bannings because a lot of people assume its either a flash in the pan or too hard to pilot. But eventually people just figured out how to play Bloom (it was less hard than it looked), and people will start picking up Lantern and it will get banned.

At Regular REL I just scoop the match if my opponent plays Lantern and go watch one of my friend's matches. I play Magic at FNM or Modern night for fun, not so my opponent can get a schadenfreude boner.

I wouldn't be surprised if it got eliminated not by banning, but as I suggested earlier: by simply eliminating 8th Edition from Modern and starting with Mirrodin.

But eventually people just figured out how to play Bloom (it was less hard than it looked).
Tom Martell plays Bloom with exel spreadsheets.

The thing about Lantern and Bloom isn't really that they're harder to play than other decks, it's that it's significantly harder to tell when you're making mistakes. You can still play mostly optimally and win a majority of your games. But then you get to the Justin Cohens and Zac Elsiks of the world and win rates start looking completely absurd.

Angry Grimace

Elsik rubs me the wrong way. Probably because he plays Lantern.

OnPoint

It has the same issue Bloom did, where some people assume its not a bannable deck because it survived a round or two of bannings because a lot of people assume its either a flash in the pan or too hard to pilot. But eventually people just figured out how to play Bloom (it was less hard than it looked), and people will start picking up Lantern and it will get banned.

At Regular REL I just scoop the match if my opponent plays Lantern and go watch one of my friend's matches. I play Magic at FNM or Modern night for fun, not so my opponent can get a schadenfreude boner.

I wouldn't be surprised if it got eliminated not by banning, but as I suggested earlier: by simply eliminating 8th Edition from Modern and starting with Mirrodin.

People can't still be making assumptions at this point, can they? And the early version of Bloom that used Lotus Cobra used to make my freaking head hurt when I played it. I almost always won, but shit, trying to find the optimal line was so much work. They really did get the deck functioning better.

I'd be surprised if they went so far as banning 8th edition, but hell, what do I know anymore? I really didn't see the Twin ban coming.

Imagine a Pro Tour stream where half the players on camera play Lantern. Nightmare.

It might, ahem -- illuminate -- that there's a problem with the deck.

I would have also accepted 'provide some insight' in a pinch

Angry Grimace

Yeah all Lantern players are the worst.

I just remember watching an interview with him where he wouldn't shut up about how the deck is super ultra hard to play but apparently he's a super master or whatever.

People can't still be making assumptions at this point, can they? And the early version of Bloom that used Lotus Cobra used to make my freaking head hurt when I played it. I almost always won, but shit, trying to find the optimal line was so much work. They really did get the deck functioning better.

I'd be surprised if they went so far as banning 8th edition, but hell, what do I know anymore? I really didn't see the Twin ban coming.

It might, ahem -- illuminate -- that there's a problem with the deck.

I would have also accepted 'provide some insight' in a pinch

They don't have to "ban" it they just eliminate it from the card pool entirely (which is easy since it's set 1 in Modern). The only cards it adds to Modern in practice are Ensnaring Bridge and Choke, both of which are exceptionally old-school, unfair cards which incentive locking your opponent out of the game. Urzatron and Blood Moon were both in 9th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom