• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Boom/Bust is $6.

You were warned. :)

Eggs. Lantern's interactive.

It's interactive for the Lantern player. It's no less a Prison Deck than Workshops is, the Shops player just wins very quickly and doesn't have to manually do anything.

I'm vaguely surprised Boom/Bust isn't already some kind of fringe strategy with T1: Birds, T2: Fetch, Boom targeting opponents Eye of Ugin or whatever, crack the fetch you targeted.

Now that I think about it, the first modern tournament I ever entered was a local proxy grinder with my Bant Conscription deck a ways back. I posted a tournament report in here mentioning Bloom Titan(a deck where I had to look up the cards to figure out what it was afterwards) and somebody said something along the lines of, "Bloom Titan? People play that?"

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192769976]Now that I think about it, the first modern tournament I ever entered was a local proxy grinder with my Bant Conscription deck a ways back. I posted a tournament report in here mentioning Bloom Titan(a deck where I had to look up the cards to figure out what it was afterwards) and somebody said something along the lines of, "Bloom Titan? People play that?"[/QUOTE]

If I've learned anything from watching Modern over the past year, it's that decks that were in the "Check out my brew" section of MTGS three years ago are pro-level super secret tech.

kirblar

It's interactive for the Lantern player. It's no less a Prison Deck than Workshops is, the Shops player just wins very quickly and doesn't have to manually do anything.

I'm vaguely surprised Boom/Bust isn't already some kind of fringe strategy with T1: Birds, T2: Fetch, Boom targeting opponents Eye of Ugin or whatever, crack the fetch you targeted.
It was a thing back in Dark Depths extended (alongside Blood Moon) in a Zoo shell. BBE leaving made it not-great till now.

Haines

Banned
Got my ultimate guard flipntray in the mail.

Snazzy as hell, very nice build, will never come undone and i cant see where it would ever wear n tear. Perfect size for limited playing too. Also love the 2 latch sysem if you just want to grab dice or whatever.

I need to make a divider for the card box tho. I was thinking of using one of my cheap shiny sleeves and shoving a couple cards into it. I suppose i could also just cut a piece of cardboard up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, I've been goofing around with a build. I'll try it on the beta when I get a shot at it (the admin tools are busted so I can't log on) And yes I was very much tempted to add the comedy option of Boros Charm plus Goblin Dark-Dwellers hitting Boom // Bust.

//Creatures

3 Noble Hierarch
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Wild Nacatl
2 Loxodon Smiter
3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Tarmogoyf

//Spells

4 Boom // Bust
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
1 Path to Exile

//Enchantment

3 Blood Moon

//Land

4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Arid Mesa
1 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Forest
2 Razorverge Thicket
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
1 Ghost Quarter

Firemind

This page:

tZOS8.gif

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192771173]I wonder if Greater Gargadon can make a comeback with Boom//Bust.[/QUOTE]

Suspend cards sound kind of bad in a format full of people trying to process everything

Wait... What about that blood moon/ ensaring bridge people were brewing? Sac bridge to gargadon, attack for billions.

I don't know where I'm going with this.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Boom/Bust is $6.

You were warned. :)

Eggs. Lantern's interactive.

I have definitely learned to listen to your instincts at this point. Bought up a playset at $1.50 apiece and I am pretty happy. Still waiting to see how many Goblin Dark-Dwellers I get in my boxes before picking those up.

Haines said:
Got my ultimate guard flipntray in the mail.

Snazzy as hell, very nice build, will never come undone and i cant see where it would ever wear n tear. Perfect size for limited playing too. Also love the 2 latch sysem if you just want to grab dice or whatever.

I need to make a divider for the card box tho. I was thinking of using one of my cheap shiny sleeves and shoving a couple cards into it. I suppose i could also just cut a piece of cardboard up.

Which Flip N' Tray: 100+ or 200+? I've gotten the 80+, 100+ and 200+ and I love all of em. The 200+ is awesome to have for EDH because I am approaching 10 decks at this point, and it's gotten hard to transport them. These are absolutely the highest quality deck boxes I have ever owned.

Angry Grimace

Boom // Bust isn't actually $6, it's nothing because it got bought out and there aren't any copies you can buy, and no you can't buy mine. TCG mid is $15.00, but they just don't have any copies in reality. One auction on eBay @ $12, but that's it.

Angry Grimace

I'm gonna try and build the deck for FNM at least once I trade off a ton of these Standard staples I've got for some Hierarchs and Birds. (I already got the Goyfs, Booms, Blood Moons and such).

Angry Grimace

You pretty much cannot build a Modern deck without something in the deck having spiked in price or currently spiking in price.

Huh, they actually have a mockup of C cards from when they were considering leaving the colorless mana symbol the same. Source.
CZBKYsJUsAAFbp3.jpg

Official Magic Fiction summary: Chandra and Ob Nixilis fight, power of friendship, teamwork, Nixilis leaves.

Though I'm shocked that none of you pointed out this:
storyart_OGW_Nissas-Nemesis.jpg

So bad.

This doesn't have a card name. Did they just forget to put it in?

Ever since Theros, they've been commissioning some new art for story posts. Though I'm half tempted to think that this was some alternate Ob Nixilis planeswalker art that they hastily photoshopped attacks onto. Nothing about his pose makes me think he's under attack.

Haines

Banned
Which Flip N' Tray: 100+ or 200+? I've gotten the 80+, 100+ and 200+ and I love all of em. The 200+ is awesome to have for EDH because I am approaching 10 decks at this point, and it's gotten hard to transport them. These are absolutely the highest quality deck boxes I have ever owned.

The 200 ones look amazing for that as well. I also considered the ultra pro hard plastic shell thing, but it just didnt have that im proud to own this look to it.

Im just a causal limited player, so the 100 looks to fit my needs perfectly. Glad to hear youve had no issues. That was my biggest thing. Getting something that wouldnt fall apart or fail etc.

OnPoint

Ever since Theros, they've been commissioning some new art for story posts. Though I'm half tempted to think that this was some alternate Ob Nixilis planeswalker art that they hastily photoshopped attacks onto. Nothing about his pose makes me think he's under attack.

It's also possible that it's just unused or from a cut card, right?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Though I'm shocked that none of you pointed out this:
storyart_OGW_Nissas-Nemesis.jpg

So bad.
This...sort of sums up my entire problem with their focus on the current crew. Mono-color characters don't have to be one note but goddamn are they deliberately making them one-note, and this art reflects that. "Nature lady!" "Fire girl!" "Light magic!"

OnPoint

This...sort of sums up my entire problem with their focus on the current crew. Mono-color characters don't have to be one note but goddamn are they deliberately making them one-note, and this art reflects that. "Nature lady!" "Fire girl!" "Light magic!"

I mean when Rosewater says stuff like this:

We knew we wanted Chandra's ETB effect to be direct damage, and 1R for 3 damage felt just right. We messed around with a bunch of static abilities, but in the end decided to stick with Chandra doing damage. This ability does extra damage to players as you cast planeswalkers.

~ Source

It's not hard to see they don't have much in the way of a desire to add depth to these guys.

Do they not realize that the fantastic four is the least marketable major superhero team ever? Or that the Planeteers are the butt of every joke about misguided 90s design?

I get that they're trying to make everything diverse and identity-positive, but if you sacrifice depth of character you wind up losing your relatability anyway in the exchange.

Alesha was a good idea, this power rangers stuff isn't.

OnPoint

I don't mind the colors having characters that represent the base ideals of the color pie. I do mind when they act a certain way JUST BECAUSE of their color identity. It's so juvenile.

I also don't mind that some of the other, lesser used characters like Ajani, Tezzeret, and hopefully Garruk have some depth to them, so long as they start making them kind of known more in the stories. Having all these single-minded one-note characters as the main driver of the story is going to get old fast, as it's already deep in YA Good Guys Group territory after one block.

Buying some bits for what was supposed to be a fairly cheap Modern RDW. Can't believe how much the price of Goblin Guide has risen in the past two years according to TCG. Doesn't help that UK singles prices are often 1 to 1 with USD.

Any reason for the spike? Increased play coupled with rising popularity of the format?

Also! Countdown begins to SOI!

Liliana's the only interesting one, please don't ruin her.
Chandra is basically Naruto.
Nissa used to be interesting and got ruined.
Jace always sucked.
Gideon was always "boring army guy that fights with s&m toys"

And these guys are the focus for the foreseeable future.

All the character that makes MTG a unique universe is getting systematically sucked out. They changed the sliver designs for God's sake.

KTK was a huge exception, but it almost seems like an accident now.

Firemind

Buying some bits for what was supposed to be a fairly cheap Modern RDW. Can't believe how much the price of Goblin Guide has risen in the past two years according to TCG. Doesn't help that UK singles prices are often 1 to 1 with USD.

Any reason for the spike? Increased play coupled with rising popularity of the format?

Also! Countdown begins to SOI!
No reprints whatsoever. It's too good in a format with siege rhinos. GG

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Don't you just hate when you assume you have a set of a card because it's so common? I had zero expedition maps. Spend a good hour going through my cards. Could've swore I had 'em.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel like Magic worldbuilding has reached a new low.

It's pretty much Saturday morning cartoons now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom