• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I think Goblin Guide will be in MM2017. I would probably put money on that at this point. I actually think MM2017 is gonna probably be more like MM1 than MM2015 based on the backlash they got from the user base and the recent reaction to spikes. But until then that card is gonna climb.

So all I want to know if we're doing power rangers is

Who's the gold ranger?

I'll see myself out.

Sorin and/or Ajani. They've got White in their color idenites, and they're often printed in "gold". Ajani might get the edge for being a white cat, though Sorin is a long haired anti-hero like Tommy. Sheesh. It's a tough call.

Edit: Wait, Jason was the gold ranger, killing my whole platform. Hm. That's a good question.

No reprints whatsoever. It's too good in a format with siege rhinos. GG

So siege rhinos arriving in the meta helped continue to it huh.

I'm tempted to find a cheaper alternative, but the earliest for a reprint would probably be MM2017, and even then I see the price steadily rising between now and then, assuming a reprint occurs and also that it drives the price down.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
We got a whole 18 months before MM17. Unless Eternal Masters is actually a thing that happens this year, prices are going to get downright stupid...er.

OnPoint

I'm so concerned with the possibility of "Eternal Masters". Is it for Modern, Legacy and Vintage? So they'll print good stuff that isn't on the Reserved List. Let's say it actually does create interest and demand for Legacy. Won't that just crater the value of what they can print while swinging what they can't print even higher?

Son1x

It's one of those decks they didn't ban because you can't ban three decks at once. This is, in fact, an actual decision people make all of the time; in fact, lots of pros said they didn't want to play Bloom because they don't want to play a deck that gets banned.

I wouldn't mind Ensnaring Bridge being banned even if it affects other decks. Its such a cancerous card.

They could just ban lantern itself if they really wanted to get rid of the deck, but hardly anyone plays it. We''ve had 2 players from LGS pick it up recently. Doesn't help that most decks I play are pretty shitty against it, except D&T, which seem to do ok against it.

So all I want to know if we're doing power rangers is

Who's the gold ranger?

I'll see myself out.

Image.ashx

Has some notes of green and white ranger in there, too. CANON

kirblar

Eternal Masters would get us some great Uncommon -> Mythic rarity bumps for Force and Wasteland.
If E. Masters is a thing, those end up at Rare unless they're insane.

Jace and Liliana are guaranteed Mythics. Damnation, Inquisition probably in as well at Rare/Uncommon.

Supast4r

The joke with Wild Nacatl was because of Pod, Twin, and other decks in the format, almost every deck had an infinite combo going on. A 3/3 for 1? Completely irrelevant.

Getting rid of the "oops i win" shit from Modern is a good thing.

The guy means that banning twin will NOT revive all of these control decks that were "held down." Control will do nothing in this format with tron and Eldrazi midrange being tier 1

kirblar

The guy means that banning twin will NOT revive all of these control decks that were "held down." Control will do nothing in this format with tron and Eldrazi midrange being tier 1
Eldrazi is probably an issue but that has nothing to do with the bannings.

Sun Titan is a deck that gets much better in a post-twin world, given that it has access to Stony Silence and Spreading Seas.
What do you think the odds of it being real are?
WotC freaking out about proxies (because they're printing holo versions) makes me give it more credence than I normally would. Also, because not announcing a summer set by now is really weird.

OnPoint

WotC freaking out about proxies (because they're printing holo versions) makes me give it more credence than I normally would. Also, because not announcing a summer set by now is really weird.

Hm... Do you think some stuff might be worth unloading? Or is this just too much of an unknown to tell.

WanderingWind

Hm... Do you think some stuff might be worth unloading? Or is this just too much of an unknown to tell.

Hell no. Unload nothing. Unless this is a special, once in a lifetime release valve set, prices will either drop slightly then skyrocket back, or plateau, in which case you're out money if you want to go back in.

OnPoint

I had a feeling that might be the case.

This would propel the price of sought-after Legacy stuff on the Reserved List to spike as well, right? Duals would be more in demand than ever, as would a ton of other stuff.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't buy anything expensive without the holofoil stamp if I have an option at this point.

Haines

Banned
Signed up for online, paid the 10 bucks american, said i needed to be american for rewards or whatever but i signed on for it anyways figure cant hurt

Anyways, thought someone said on here you get some stuff at signup, also the advertising sure made it seem that way,

Yet i see nothing, no cards or tokens or anything. Am i missing something

Edit. I see something in my mail now regarding this, ill take a look

Edit 2 figured it out. Are the cards i recieved random? Going to see if theres a way to figure out if they are worth anything.

WanderingWind

I had a feeling that might be the case.

This would propel the price of sought-after Legacy stuff on the Reserved List to spike as well, right? Duals would be more in demand than ever, as would a ton of other stuff.

If it is geared toward Legacy and if it picks up traction like MM. I think if the first is the case, the second will be somewhat the case, but not to the same extent. Everybody knows Legacy is living on borrowed time and with the Reserved List still in place, the barrier to entry is still magnitudes higher than most would consider.

With the Reserved List in place.

Yeef

Signed up for online, paid the 10 bucks american, said i needed to be american for rewards or whatever but i signed on for it anyways figure cant hurt

Anyways, thought someone said on here you get some stuff at signup, also the advertising sure made it seem that way,

Unless they've changed things you should get a box in your collection that you need to "open" which will then add cards to your collection. You can also play in the trial rooms (whatever they're called) where you just use pre-made decks against other people playing with the same pool of pre-made decks. There's no extra charge or anything for playing in the trial rooms, so it might be a good place to cut your teeth on the interface.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Edit 2 figured it out. Are the cards i recieved random? Going to see if theres a way to figure out if they are worth anything.

You mostly get new player points and a few tickets.

The New Player Points let you do a few newbie drafts that reward real cards if you win.

Haines

Banned
Unless they've changed things you should get a box in your collection that you need to "open" which will then add cards to your collection. You can also play in the trial rooms (whatever they're called) where you just use pre-made decks against other people playing with the same pool of pre-made decks. There's no extra charge or anything for playing in the trial rooms, so it might be a good place to cut your teeth on the interface.

Ok, cool. Im going to check out the tut videos they suggest. Than work on making a deck to jump into a trial room. I definalety dont want to use up any tokens or these new player points til i know how to play the game.

A few story details about SOI from the upcoming art book:

tumblr_o189scNJjf1rtban5o1_1280.png

Planeswalkers of the Vanguard? A different group than the Gatewatch?

We actually saw a version of this blurb before but it said Gatewatch. This is probably an outdated version from before they settled on the branding.

I'd have to compare the two next to one another, but I think with "nameless horrors" and "the nightmare they uncover is a threat to the entire Multiverse" and "'something' staring back" this version of the blurb leans into the Emrakul thing even harder.

I feel like Magic worldbuilding has reached a new low.

The worldbuilding part of Magic creative is still ace.

Angry Grimace

Someone made a great point: you can't really play Wild Nacatl in a deck with Armageddon in it. Update:

Deck: Dark-Dweller Boom & Bust Zoo
w.gif
r.gif
g.gif

//Main
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Lotus Cobra
3 Loxodon Smiter
3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Tarmogoyf

//Spells
4 Boom // Bust
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
1 Path to Exile

//Enchantment
3 Blood Moon

//Land
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Arid Mesa
1 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Forest
2 Razorverge Thicket
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
1 Ghost Quarter

//Sideboard
2 Kitchen Finks
2 Stony Silence
1 Thundermaw Hellkite
2 Ancient Grudge
1 Crumble to Dust
3 Anger of the Gods
1 Boros Charm
3 Huntmaster of the Fells

Display deck statistics

Change summary: Removed Wild Nacatl, replaced with additional copies of KotR, Loxodon Smiter and 2 Lotus Cobras.

Angry Grimace

You most definitely can play Wild Nacatl in that sort of deck. Just save a Foundry to fetch.

The problem is playing Blood Moon and basically Armaggedon at the same time makes it seem pretty sketch. My personal thought had been that it doesn't matter what Wild Nacatl's stats are because you almost assuredly win if you resolve Dark-Dwellers with Bust in the yard, but I'm not entirely sold on either method.

Been playing this UR prowess deck a lot on cockatrice.
http://deckstats.net/deck-8895871-1dbdd0e697e7a9ee9ff64d91bbd0502f.html

it does well against eldrazi ramp as it can kill on turn 4 fairly frequently.

played a lot of allies decks too which it crushes. No one really is uins SB's on cockatrice right now so its hard to tell how good it is, but its incredibly fun to play and feels like it reliably explodes a lot more than atarka red does.

would love to test with some real decks if anyone wants to play

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
If it is geared toward Legacy and if it picks up traction like MM. I think if the first is the case, the second will be somewhat the case, but not to the same extent. Everybody knows Legacy is living on borrowed time and with the Reserved List still in place, the barrier to entry is still magnitudes higher than most would consider.

With the Reserved List in place.

Ditch the reserved list if you ask me

burn it all to the ground

kirblar

The problem is playing Blood Moon and basically Armaggedon at the same time makes it seem pretty sketch. My personal thought had been that it doesn't matter what Wild Nacatl's stats are because you almost assuredly win if you resolve Dark-Dwellers with Bust in the yard, but I'm not entirely sold on either method.
Bust is your endgame, Nacatl your early game- it's just so good at putting on pressure.

Haines

Banned
Been playing this UR prowess deck a lot on cockatrice.
http://deckstats.net/deck-8895871-1dbdd0e697e7a9ee9ff64d91bbd0502f.html

it does well against eldrazi ramp as it can kill on turn 4 fairly frequently.

played a lot of allies decks too which it crushes. No one really is uins SB's on cockatrice right now so its hard to tell how good it is, but its incredibly fun to play and feels like it reliably explodes a lot more than atarka red does.

would love to test with some real decks if anyone wants to play

Question. I downloaded cockatrice, and someone told me at prerelease everyone plays on xmage. Was he just wrong or why did he say that.

Angry Grimace

Matt Sperling started an ethics column on CFB which appears to have no reason to exist other than as a soapbox to excuse Bob Huang's Borboygmos bullshit. Bob Huang himself shows up in the comments to say "meh, that was a shitty thing to do I shouldn't have done it."

Joe Molotov

Matt Sperling started an ethics column on CFB which appears to have no reason to exist other than as a soapbox to excuse Bob Huang's Borboygmos bullshit. Bob Huang himself shows up in the comments to say "meh, that was a shitty thing to do I shouldn't have done it."

I like how the Pithing Needle situation is totally cool, hey man you didn't write the rules! But if you play conservatively during the final 5 turns of a game you're winning a million to one and hope your opponent concedes, ur a scumbag, please quit magic loser.

Question. I downloaded cockatrice, and someone told me at prerelease everyone plays on xmage. Was he just wrong or why did he say that.

i dislike xmage, its slow and clunky. Cockatrice is super fast but you have to know magics rules. I believe xmage has a rules engine built in so its more like MTO. cockatrice is like playing at a table with a person.

Angry Grimace

As I've said before, there are lots and lots of sports with higher stakes and its exceptionally rare to see a team or player attempt to win on that kind of technicality. There's a reason the George Brett incident is an incident.

Santiako

As I've said before, there are lots and lots of sports with higher stakes and its exceptionally rare to see a team or player attempt to win on that kind of technicality. There's a reason the George Brett incident is an incident.

Yeah, the whole Borborygmos ordeal was embarrasing and shitty all around. Huang knew what the other player meant, the judges knew what he meant, the commentators knew what he meant, it was just bullcrap.

Firemind

Isn't it a bit like refraining from telling your opponent a missed trigger because it's advantageous to you? Only now he has no deniability clause. Fuck you, Kibler.

kirblar

I really don't have an issue with the Boby ruling. Know your cards, don't IRL misclick. People screw up all the time, this is just another way to do it.

Yeah, the whole Borborygmos ordeal was embarrasing and shitty all around. Huang knew what the other player meant, the judges knew what he meant, the commentators knew what he meant, it was just bullcrap.

also he didnt even realize until the judges walked away to talk right?

Angry Grimace

"Do anything to win" is a delusional mentality that MTG players assume applies to everyone but basically doesn't. I don't believe that most people would do "anything" to win including dicking over their opponents. That some percentage of people in the community literally don't care about other people and are willing to do so sadly doesn't surprise me though.

Firemind

I saw someone get a game loss because he wrote Akroma instead of Akroma, Angel of Fury on his decklist. He played zero plains in his deck.

Haines

Banned
i dislike xmage, its slow and clunky. Cockatrice is super fast but you have to know magics rules. I believe xmage has a rules engine built in so its more like MTO. cockatrice is like playing at a table with a person.

Ah, OK. Gotcha.

Isn't it a bit like refraining from telling your opponent a missed trigger because it's advantageous to you? Only now he has no deniability clause. Fuck you, Kibler.

Brian kibler? Why fuck him?

Lucario

I saw someone get a game loss because he wrote Akroma instead of Akroma, Angel of Fury on his decklist. He played zero plains in his deck.

Registration errors are the worst.

At my first major event, apparently I left a stray pencil mark between the two 1s in "11 Forests". This caused one of the table judges to read it as "4 Forests".

Naturally I didn't mean to register a 53 card deck with a number of green sources that would make it nearly impossible to cast many of my spells, but the judge insisted that I purposely wrote 4 and was trying to cover my mistake. I appealed to the HJ, who agreed with the table judge, and gave me a game loss.

Play skred red.

You can flashback Skred to do a billion damage with Boros Reckoner.

That sounds way too fun. Probably gonna try brewing around that and the Boom/Bust package after selling out of Eldrazi ramp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom