• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Ah, OK. Gotcha.

Brian kibler? Why fuck him?
In a PT final, his opponent cast Hypergenesis, putting Angel of Despair into play. He somehow missed the trigger which caused him to lose the game and thus the match. I don't believe for a second Kibler forgot about the trigger too.

The Boborygmos thing feels like a rules gap that will be closed in the near future. The rules for naming with Needle are already really, really loose - this was just a stupid loophole.

Haines

Banned
In a PT final, his opponent cast Hypergenesis, putting Angel of Despair into play. He somehow missed the trigger which caused him to lose the game and thus the match. I don't believe for a second Kibler forgot about the trigger too.

Oh shit. So kiblers pro tour victory was dirty? I didn't know that. I only really know of him because he's made himself famous in the hearthstone scene.

So the rules are that if an opponent has a trigger its up to me to call them as well? I usually try to anyways

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Oh shit. So kiblers pro tour victory was dirty? I didn't know that. I only really know of him because he's made himself famous in the hearthstone scene.

So the rules are that if an opponent has a trigger its up to me to call them as well? I usually try to anyways

I wouldn't call that dirty. By the time you're in the finals of a PT, remembering to hit your triggers is your responsibility, not your opponent's. This isn't FNM.

kirblar

I wouldn't call that dirty. By the time you're in the finals of a PT, remembering to hit your triggers is your responsibility, not your opponent's. This isn't FNM.
At the time the "you need to help your opponent win" rules were in place.

Matt Sperling started an ethics column on CFB which appears to have no reason to exist other than as a soapbox to excuse Bob Huang's Borboygmos bullshit.

Matt Sperling is a professional contrarian, by which I mean he literally works in the douchiest profession at the douchiest company and spends all his time on twitter passive-aggressively complaining about shit people do, so this seems like an on-brand for him.

Isn't it a bit like refraining from telling your opponent a missed trigger because it's advantageous to you?

It's not really much like that at all, which is why the rules don't require you to remember your opponents' triggers anymore.

Yeef

Urborg, attack for 8?
Attack for 24*

T1 - Eye of Ugin makes your mimics free, so you play them all. Turn 2 you play the Inverter and turn all your mimics into 6/6's and swing in (hopefully) for game. If they play a blocker or kill spell, you lose on your draw step.

Santiako

Attack for 24*

T1 - Eye of Ugin makes your mimics free, so you play them all. Turn 2 you play the Inverter and turn all your mimics into 6/6's and swing in (hopefully) for game. If they play a blocker or kill spell, you lose on your draw step.

I know, that was the joke :p

Haines

Banned
At the time the "you need to help your opponent win" rules were in place.

Right, so technically 2 finalists missed a trigger, in a finals. Kind of hard to believe.

Can i watch matches on magic online? Like can i watch a draft match? I assume i cant watch any drafting process, anywyas

Yeef

Right, so technically 2 finalists missed a trigger, in a finals. Kind of hard to believe.

Can i watch matches on magic online? Like can i watch a draft match? I assume i cant watch any drafting process, anywyas
I don't think you can watch directly in the client, but a lot of people will stream/record drafts on Twitch and Youtube, including LSV.

Haines

Banned
I don't think you can watch directly in the client, but a lot of people will stream/record drafts on Twitch and Youtube, including LSV.

Yeah ive seen some of youtube twitch stuff. I dont know what caught my eye but something did that made me think i could spectate. Oh well. Come to think of it maybe it was in one of those tuturial features and its something they have got rid of since?

I saw the 4 pack sealed events and thought, wtf, that sounds super lame, only to know see an update they are axing those bc nobody liked them. Very strange to me they thought that was a good idea, sometimes 6 packs feels rough enough in sealed

Yeah ive seen some of youtube twitch stuff. I dont know what caught my eye but something did that made me think i could spectate. Oh well. Come to think of it maybe it was in one of those tuturial features and its something they have got rid of since?

I saw the 4 pack sealed events and thought, wtf, that sounds super lame, only to know see an update they are axing those bc nobody liked them. Very strange to me they thought that was a good idea, sometimes 6 packs feels rough enough in sealed

mtgcoverage.com

There's videos from over the shoulder video of drafts from GP/PT coverage dunno if you have to go to the source though or if mtgcoverage also compiles those.

Haines

Banned
Whomever said magic online was awesome for learning all the phases and depth of magic was spot on. This is very helpful.

Im noticing the default hot keys suck balls.

I suppose i could google, but i wondered if there was a consensus on what is a good set up?

Wulfric

Boom // Bust, umm, boomed today. TCGMid is $13.15, for whatever reason.

Feels bad to open Ob Nixillis in phantom draft... and still going 0-2. :(

Wulfric

This might be the only accurate MTG Finance thread on the internet.

I know right? I bought a playset for the hell of it and look what happened. It's actually kind of amazing how many cards we discuss end up ballooning in price.

What's spiking next guys? Y'all put SaffronOlive to shame. :p

This might be the only accurate MTG Finance thread on the internet.

99% of MTG "finance" discussion is people trying to get theirs by luring you into the perception that you can use their information for your own profit, while kirblar is just sharing his insights out of the goodness of his pink little heart.

ironmang

I know right? I bought a playset for the hell of it and look what happened. It's actually kind of amazing how many cards we discuss end up ballooning in price.

What's spiking next guys? Y'all put SaffronOlive to shame. :p

I'd guess Living End is next. It's reasonably affordable and more competitive than other gimmicky decks. Burn can be a rough matchup and Eldrazi is also very difficult but most others aren't that bad.

Noble Hierarch could also jump back up to pre-MM2 days. Infect is another affordable deck which is pretty rare these days.

OnPoint

Yo this eBay pre-buy for my Thought-Knot Seers got cancelled. I had 4x bought for $14. I am really, really pissed.

What's my recourse here? Do I just leave bad feedback?

Yeef

Yo this eBay pre-buy for my Thought-Knot Seers got cancelled. I had 4x bought for $14. I am really, really pissed.

You can leave bad feedback and bring up a case with eBay's resolution center. On a personal level, you're not likely to get anything out of it, but if an ebay store/user has too high a cancel rate over a 12-month period then their account will be suspended.

kirblar

99% of MTG "finance" discussion is people trying to get theirs by luring you into the perception that you can use their information for your own profit, while kirblar is just sharing his insights out of the goodness of his pink little heart.
I have a real job, and I barely get to play Magic as is, I don't have time to move cards en masse, lol. That's for people getting ontology degrees. ( :p )
:( This is why you need to watch for high-feedback people to pre-order from. Which vendor was it?

Lucario

I'm surprised people are still doing that on ebay. They're cracking down on it pretty hard, and even established sellers can get banned for as few as a a dozen cancelled preorders.

That said, there's nothing you can do to get your cards, unless you can convince the seller to reinstate your order to avoid getting his account shut down. Probably best to just leave negative feedback and contact ebay support to explain what happened.

I have a real job, and I barely get to play Magic as is, I don't have time to move cards en masse, lol.

I wasn't being sarcastic!

I've had to just get zen on this. I can picture pretty much every card that I lent out or got stolen or had vanish in my cross-country move that'd be worth a billion dollars now. I have to be satisfied with making my friends hundreds of dollars by getting them to poke through their old commons for gold.

"Do anything to win" is a delusional mentality that MTG players assume applies to everyone but basically doesn't. I don't believe that most people would do "anything" to win including dicking over their opponents. That some percentage of people in the community literally don't care about other people and are willing to do so sadly doesn't surprise me though.

I don't have experience with professional Magic in the slightest, but the fact that collusion ("splitting the pot") seems to be relatively common at relatively casual events like drafts and prereleases certainly makes me imagine the worst.

And I've followed the FGC and esports long enough that my imagination is expansive.

I don't have experience with professional Magic in the slightest, but the fact that collusion ("splitting the pot") seems to be relatively common at relatively casual events like drafts and prereleases certainly makes me imagine the worst.

I don't think you should look at splitting the pot as collusion or a sign of overinvested players. It's really just the same sort of thing people do in fantasy football leagues or whatever, you agree to equal payouts so everyone can play their best without the extra edge of having money on the line.

Lucario

Think I found a Boom/Bust shell I like. It's based on this old R/W deck that used to be crazy popular when the format was new.

Would allow for 4 Flagstones of Trokair as Boom targets, and a number of cards like Helix and Reckoner to get the edge in aggro mirrors. I mean, the Steppe Lynxes and Geopedes are coming out, but most of the shell still looks decent.

Code:
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Path to Exile

4 Lightning Helix
4 Boom/Bust

3 Ranger of Eos

3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers

4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Mountain
3 Plains

The Naya version gets to run better creatures by quite a lot, but having the ability to play Boom on turn 2 without losing a land is huge. (As opposed to waiting until turn 3 and targeting your own fetchland). Also, playing 5 drops with 23 lands and no ramp is pretty greedy. Still, even after shuffling up this grossly sub-obtimal list I'm seeing why Boom/Bust spiked so hard.

Anyone have a good resource for set reviews? I used to watch the ones from Magic Show with evan amd brad, which I loved, but looks like they aren't doing them anymore? So yeah, any resources, video or articles, would be awesome.

Louis Scott-Vargas usually has pretty sensible reviews of the sets for both limited and constructed over on channelfireball.com. One color per day and he's putting up constructed this week.

I have read Conley Woods' reviews (at tcgplayer.com) every set for about 2 years now and thoroughly disagreed with them. His metrics are also hard to read because his constructed scores are usually asking for a card to be a legacy 4-of to make it to any decent scoring. Though this set, he has seemed to let up a little on his scoring.

Firemind

Think I found a Boom/Bust shell I like. It's based on this old R/W deck that used to be crazy popular when the format was new.

Would allow for 4 Flagstones of Trokair as Boom targets, and a number of cards like Helix and Reckoner to get the edge in aggro mirrors. I mean, the Steppe Lynxes and Geopedes are coming out, but most of the shell still looks decent.

Code:
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Path to Exile

4 Lightning Helix
4 Boom/Bust

3 Ranger of Eos

3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers

4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Mountain
3 Plains

The Naya version gets to run better creatures by quite a lot, but having the ability to play Boom on turn 2 without losing a land is huge. (As opposed to waiting until turn 3 and targeting your own fetchland). Also, playing 5 drops with 23 lands and no ramp is pretty greedy. Still, even after shuffling up this grossly sub-obtimal list I'm seeing why Boom/Bust spiked so hard.
Play Skred and Swans of Bryn Argol. Draw a billion cards. :p

What are people playing Flagstones in again?
Boom // Bust

It was also played in Boros Landfall once upon a time where you play Ghost Quarters to target your Flagstones to give your Steppe Lynxes and Plates Geopedes +6/+6 and Double Strike with Boros Charm. It also played Zektar Shrine Expedition as a two mana Ball Lightning.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Code:
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Path to Exile

4 Lightning Helix
4 Boom/Bust

3 Ranger of Eos

3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers

4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Mountain
3 Plains

Naya is designed to to play a dork Turn 1 and a Boom turn 2.

Man... I should have seen Flagstones coming myself. I remember liking the idea of that combo back when they were in standard.

Much less room for it to grow than Boom Bust though. I picked up two of them at $15 each but that's all I'm comfortable risking right now. There's also the chance that Naya plays two in the interest of maximizing the chances of turn 2 Boom, so this might just be my playset.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd probably think pretty hard about actually playing Oust in a Boom/Bust deck.

There's just not a lot of other hard removal and drawing them creatures at the point of the game that they can't cast them seems decent in places that Path to Exile doesn't and you really don't have a way to do anything against opposing Goyfs at a reasonable cost without just playing Path.

But I don't know: Path is one of the reasons to play white. Maybe Dromoka's Command or something? Roast? Some other ancient cheap removal I'm forgetting about?

Haines

Banned
Anyone have a good resource for set reviews? I used to watch the ones from Magic Show with evan amd brad, which I loved, but looks like they aren't doing them anymore? So yeah, any resources, video or articles, would be awesome.

Look up lrcast, they have 2 up now for oath. Also a reddit.

And lsv does the limited set review on channelfireball

But maybe your looking for constructed reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom