• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a good resource for set reviews? I used to watch the ones from Magic Show with evan amd brad, which I loved, but looks like they aren't doing them anymore? So yeah, any resources, video or articles, would be awesome.

Evan and Brad had some scheduling problems for Oath but they plan on doing the next set.

Xis

Louis Scott-Vargas usually has pretty sensible reviews of the sets for both limited and constructed over on channelfireball.com. One color per day and he's putting up constructed this week.

If you have the time, LSV and Marshall Sutcliffe also go through a card-by-card review on the Limited Resources podcast. The common / uncommon review runs over 4 hours for the latest set.

y2dvd

Anyone have a good resource for set reviews? I used to watch the ones from Magic Show with evan amd brad, which I loved, but looks like they aren't doing them anymore? So yeah, any resources, video or articles, would be awesome.

Just stick to gaf's evaluation. We usually on point. /kappaface

Sweet, my lgs are gonna start shooting off 8-man pod drafts whenever it fills up throughout the night. I always hated any other number since it feels drafts we're meant for 8. Gonna be rougher tho, single elim, but 1st place gets 8 packs and 2nd gets 4 packs. I'm game! Gonna be drafting so muchhhhh!

ultron87

Yeah, definitely looking forward to running a bunch of drafts tomorrow night. I like the 8-4 pack split in real life when drafts are constantly firing, because it makes so much sense to just split the finals and go draft again. (And since there isn't a casual draft option like there is on MTGO getting to the finals is easier :p)

bigkrev

Yayyyy those 2 free drafts I have from my prereleases? We are going to get murdered by Snow and the LGS announced that they were going to be open unless it's a State of Emergency, and the drafts are only good for this weekend.

Haines

Banned
Single elim draft? That sounds rough. Draft and build a deck and drop after 2 games potentially sounds like a very unfun time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I ask because he's obviously ridiculous in terms of what he does, but Eugene seeing a ton of play right now probably has more to do with a deck actually existing that doesn't do anything but cast fucking gigantic things - this has not been a real deck in recent memory.

OnPoint

I am an island.

I ask because he's obviously ridiculous in terms of what he does, but Eugene seeing a ton of play right now probably has more to do with a deck actually existing that doesn't do anything but cast fucking gigantic things - this has not been a real deck in recent memory.

I love that a ramp deck exists. Shame Karn didn't have that to work with back then.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think Jace and Mystic got banned really close to the time Karn came out right? I have to admit they did a pretty good job of actually making gigantic fuck-off Eldrazi dudes playable this time, although its pretty funny if you think about it that the Eldrazi Titans are actually better cards than they were last time.

OnPoint

Speaking of ebay stuff getting cancelled, I hope this purchase of 3 Boom//Busts for $9.50 shipped goes through.

Not gonna lie, I'm furious. I decided I'd email the seller, give them a day, then if they don't respond, notify eBay about this user's behavior. I have no negative feedback, so I don't want them to hit me with negative feedback as a repercussion, but I'm definitely going to let the powers that be know that this seller is backing out of sales.

Ashodin

I think Jace and Mystic got banned really close to the time Karn came out right? I have to admit they did a pretty good job of actually making gigantic fuck-off Eldrazi dudes playable this time, although its pretty funny if you think about it that the Eldrazi Titans are actually better cards than they were last time.
They got bigger, they were hungry

ironmang

Not gonna lie, I'm furious. I decided I'd email the seller, give them a day, then if they don't respond, notify eBay about this user's behavior. I have no negative feedback, so I don't want them to hit me with negative feedback as a repercussion, but I'm definitely going to let the powers that be know that this seller is backing out of sales.

I don't think sellers can give negative feedback anymore and haven't been able to for some years unless it was changed back.

Matriox

I don't think sellers can give negative feedback anymore and haven't been able to for some years unless it was changed back.

Yep. Sellers only leave a sentence of feedback for the buyer now. Usually they're prefabricated messages that are left when the item is sold. The seller can leave a bad message, but there's no way of telling the buyer is "bad" unless they open up your feedback and read them all.

OnPoint

So they can't give me negative feedback and reduce my rating? If that's the case then I will be leaving bad feedback, baring an amicable resolution.

Louis Scott-Vargas usually has pretty sensible reviews of the sets for both limited and constructed over on channelfireball.com. One color per day and he's putting up constructed this week.

I have read Conley Woods' reviews (at tcgplayer.com) every set for about 2 years now and thoroughly disagreed with them. His metrics are also hard to read because his constructed scores are usually asking for a card to be a legacy 4-of to make it to any decent scoring. Though this set, he has seemed to let up a little on his scoring.
Look up lrcast, they have 2 up now for oath. Also a reddit.

And lsv does the limited set review on channelfireball

But maybe your looking for constructed reviews
Evan and Brad had some scheduling problems for Oath but they plan on doing the next set.
Thanks peeps, appreciate it.
lulz

Angry Grimace

Sellers haven't been able to neg in years

Angry Grimace

I don't preorder anything from eBay for that reason - the seller can just start a new account where they sell standard shit at normal prices to rebuild feedback.

I buy and sell cards on eBay all of the time though, just not preorders.

ironmang

Speaking of annoyances dealing with people online, I'm starting to get the feeling that nobody on pucatrade or deckbox actually picks up cards to play with. Apparently I sent a card with "surface scratches" and the guy was livid. I didn't even know surfaces scratches were a thing. He sent a picture back and I still couldn't see anything wrong. Couple months ago some guy took issue with a tiny corner nick on a dual I sent him. It's like, the card is 22+ years old, if a tiny imperfection is that surprising then he really should be only exchanging cards in person. I think the only time I ever got annoyed over condition in an online trade was when I received a card with a huge crease through the center without warning.

Angry Grimace

I've never had a problem on Pucatrade with that. The bigger problem is the fact that people won't send me certain good cards at all.

It's much better for picking up mid priced role players or Standard Mythics.

BW Midrange

4 Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
4 Knight of the White Orchid
2 Bearer of Silence
1 Liliana, Heretical Healer
4 Oath of Gideon
4 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet

2 Transgress the Mind
4 Grasp of Darkness
2 Ruinous Path
2 Utter End

4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1 Ob Nixilis, Reignited

4 Caves of Koilos
4 Shambling Vent
4 Scoured Barrens
2 Blighted Fen
5 Swamp
5 Plains

Sideboard
3 Flaying Tendrils
3 Hallowed Moonlight
1 Erase
3 Duress
1 Transgress the Mind
1 Ob Nixilis, Reignited
3 Infinite Obliteration

I've never had a problem on Pucatrade with that. The bigger problem is the fact that people won't send me certain good cards at all.

It's much better for picking up mid priced role players or Standard Mythics.

How does Puca work? You switch your collectables with someone else right? Do Puca moderate the trade and protect against scans etc?

Angry Grimace

Watch Grimace perform a time warp into the future

sorinxjace4eva asked: why isn't cavern of souls in SOI? seems like a perfect fit that wouldn't impact standard too much

It was in the design file for the block, but development found it was problematic with Eldrazi decks still in Standard.

(meanwhile, Cavern goes to $80)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192882131]I'll sell you my Lantern control deck for 700 bucks. It's got pyrite spellbomb and academy ruins, all the Izzet power you crave![/QUOTE]

Why are you selling it anyway? Didn't you just finish it?

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192882131]I'll sell you my Lantern control deck for 700 bucks. It's got pyrite spellbomb and academy ruins, all the Izzet power you crave![/QUOTE]

My Boom/Bust deck can beat Lantern. By playing Noble Hierarchs and just swinging for 1+however many other Hierarchs and Qasali Pridgemages I got out.

bigkrev

So, I bought a Four binder by Decktutor this week.

I love this thing. It's a binder that is designed to hold playsets

It's a really nice way to look at something when you finally accomplish it, like collecting all 20 KTK fetchlands

And if you are looking to build a deck, it's a nice way to track what you are missing. As you can see here, if I want to build modern fish, I still need 2x Master of Pearl Trident, and 1 Master of Waves

My only issue with it right now is with Sleeves- Dragon Shields and Art Sleeves don't fit in very well, and I'm finding that Ultra Pro sleeves not made in the last year or so don't fit either. Brand new Ultra Pros fit fine, and Unsleeved the cards go in securely, but it's kind of annoying.

Would recommend the product to anyone.

Why are you selling it anyway? Didn't you just finish it.
Technically it should have been finished 3 months ago but it took that long to get my last cards from the scammer on deckbox.

Frankly, I never go to any local modern events and there isn't gonna be a modern pptq for a while. So I just have this 850 dollar pile of cardboard that exists almost exclusively for goldfishing.

On top of that, modern has always been my least favorite format, it's closer to edh than legacy with all the bullshit going on. Lantern at least let me enjoy the format because there's a lot of decision points, but ultimately I don't really care either way if I'm playing it.

I'll always be a primarily limited player because magic is all about solving puzzles to me. Constructed gets dull when you play the same games over and over. That's why I post dozens of decklists for decks I'll never build lol

My Boom/Bust deck can beat Lantern. By playing Noble Hierarchs and just swinging for 1+however many other Hierarchs and Qasali Pridgemages I got out.
This is why I say Abzan Coco is good against Lantern.

Ghirapur and spellbomb?
It's all about density of relevant cards. Abzan Coco and Burn have the highest number of cards in Modern that can continue to interact through an ensnaring bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom