• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

noquarter

I got one of the Ultra Pro play set binders, it is alright. The parts fold in half so out is only 2x3 when closed and fits in my bag better.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
635889821017066943.jpg

I don't have a legit source on this yet, no.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That was posted as fanart on Reddit a couple of days ago. Labeled as fanart. So unless a WotC artist has gone rogue, that's what it is.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That was posted as fanart on Reddit a couple of days ago. Labeled as fanart. So unless a WotC artist has gone rogue, that's what it is.

Do you have a link so I can make people stop talking about it?

My issue with Emrakul being the "Shadow over Innistrad" is that he's known by the Gatewatch as a legitimate threat. The way the blurb from the art book read, it sounded to me like it's a menace the Gatewatch doesn't known about. I'm still betting on the New Phyrexians, but I'm insane. Maybe something about the Eldrazi being destroyed weakens the Blind Eternities so that the Phyrexians can begin to spread?

Joe Molotov

My issue with Emrakul being the "Shadow over Innistrad" is that he's known by the Gatewatch as a legitimate threat. The way the blurb from the art book read, it sounded to me like it's a menace the Gatewatch doesn't known about. I'm still betting on the New Phyrexians, but I'm insane. Maybe something about the Eldrazi being destroyed weakens the Blind Eternities so that the Phyrexians can begin to spread?

I'm still holding out for Actual Cthulhu.

Angry Grimace

I'm still guessing Emrakul messed with the minds of the Angels or whatever and distorted them into attacking everyone.

Angry Grimace

Possible explanation for random card price spikes:

"(1) Look for cheap, preferably old cards on want lists
(2) Identify which card is cheap and in low enough supply that you can temporarily buy out the major sites that are being crawled by mtgstocks and other price aggregation sites
(3) Buy them up
(4) Relist them for $1000,-
(5) Let Pucatrade, mtgstocks and other price aggregation sites adjust its market-rate to your newly forged pump-n-dump
(6) Start sending out the crap card on Pucatrade to people who have it on their want list and are probably unaware of wth just happened
(7) Use your pucapoints to buy legit cards instead of MTG pennystocks."

Explains some of the random spikes like Mindslicer at least. The bigger problem is that #MTGFINANCE sites like MTGStocks trawl sales data on eBay/TCG, etc. and list the price of cards as what people list them at as opposed to what they have been purchased at.

ultron87

My main concern with Emrakul appearing on/passing through Innistrad recently is it making the infinite multiverse feel like the smallest place ever.

Angry Grimace

My main concern with Emrakul appearing on/passing through Innistrad recently is it making the infinite multiverse feel like the smallest place ever.

Planes are basically planets and the Blind Eternities are basically space. It's a bit like the Federation of Planets.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

I bet the first set will overlap time-wise with Oath of the Gatewatch. Liliana, Sorin, and co. will be fighting the unearth the "Shadow" and then Jace'll show up from Zendikar right at the end and reveal that it's Emrakul.

Nicole bully would be absolutely terrible in Innistrad. The dragon makes no sense there.

But what would you say if he was a... zooooooombie dragon?!

If they actually make him a Dracolich or Dragon Ghost or something I will never let the person responsible for that decision live it down.

Found a cool little interaction today: Sylvan Library + Abundance.

You skip the life tax on SL and get to filter for land or nonland on each draw.

My issue with Emrakul being the "Shadow over Innistrad" is that he's known by the Gatewatch as a legitimate threat. The way the blurb from the art book read, it sounded to me like it's a menace the Gatewatch doesn't known about. I'm still betting on the New Phyrexians, but I'm insane.

I mean the blurb makes it clear that nobody knows what the problem is at first, which would fit with sneaky Emrakul in the shadows.

It's not that it's completely impossible to imagine Innistrad and Phyrexia crossing over, but it's pretty close. Cthulhu is a natural extension point to Gothic horror (Lovecraft was a heavily Gothic-influenced author and his settings fit very well with the needs of Gothic storytelling) while sci-fi-Hellraiser is about as far away as you can get while still being in the horror genre. Like what are you gonna print, werewolves with robot limbs?

Nicol Bolas plus Innistrad sounds terrible and tone-deaf enough to absolutely be true.

That'd be way more random and off-topic than they ever get. One of the things WotC really doesn't screw up is having a sensible creative high-concept for their blocks.

kirblar

It's because Emrakul is on the moon.

Angry Grimace

The Phyrexians spread because Karn doesn't understand the concept of taking a bath or wiping his shoes off before planeswalking.

Question:

If i bestow my chromanticore onto a 2/2 for example. then attack and the blocking creature somehow deals 6 damage. does the 2/2 die and the chromanticore become a creature because its target is dead. or do both my cards go to the graveyard?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Question:

If i bestow my chromanticore onto a 2/2 for example. then attack and the blocking creature somehow deals 6 damage. does the 2/2 die and the chromanticore become a creature because its target is dead. or do both my cards go to the graveyard?

Chromanticore "falls off" and becomes a creature. Its why Bestow is a good ability at all

Fuchs

• Draft creatures
  • Don't get hung up on your first pick. Switching colours so early is still possible and OGW has a lot of lands enabling free splashes.
  • 17, 18 lands. 18 lands are especially important if you have awaken spells.
  • Green was bad in BFZ and so usually wide open, people might still avoid drafting green because of it in OGW.
  • Be aware of cards that might put people to the left of you move into certain colours pack 1 because they might cut you off pack 2
  • Evasion (Flying, Trample, Menace,...) is king

Don't forget to pick some colorless mana generators. There should be enough of them but you'll feel stupid if there are some good activated abilities you can't use.
Don't get too excited about rares or even unco, focus more on good commons
Cards that rely on fat creatures (like sac creature and there's an effect based on power or toughness) aren't super reliable, there's few fat cards in ogw and you may not get fat eldrazis in the one Bfz booster you'll open

Oh yeah, green seems to suck too lol. Usually I like black and red, blue coming third. White is good situationally (some really good rares and uncos imo, but commons are lacking)

You can try drafting a bit here
http://mtgmirror.com/#/draftsim

1. Bring your own Fritos. Motherfuckers always trying to barter draft jank for store credit to cover Fritos. Bring a bag and be your own man.
2. Ensure you leave enough room between rounds to take a piss. If you decide to durdle to the point where your back teeth are floating, you dun goofed.
3. Don't pass anything with a red icon at the bottom right hand of the card.
4. Don't brag about your sweet pulls. Unless you pull an Expedition, in which case (1) "Icky Shuffle" is authorized.
5. Just have fun.
6. But win. What, are you here to lose?

If I were to rank the common draft mistakes I see among new players, it would be:

1) Not drafting enough creatures. Even small dorky creatures are better than "destroy target artifact" 90% of the time.
2) Not prioritizing removal spells. If the card can kill a creature, you should take it early.
3) Not considering colors. You want your final deck to only have two colors in it if at all possible, so don't spend the first pack just grabbing cards that look sweet. Once you get about halfway through the first pack, take mental stock of the colors you've been taking and try to figure out what your two colors are going to be. From that point, try to only take cards of that color if you can. This isn't a foolproof way to draft, but if you've never drafted before, you're more likely to end up with 23 playable cards if you make this your focus.

That being said, when you open a pack and there's a sweet rare you really want for your collection, don't feel bad about taking it. You can be disciplined about taking the right card for your deck starting with the second pick. :)

Thank you very much, guys! :)
I'll try to keep all of your advice in mind, while drafting and playing. Especially the one regarding the fritos, of course.

Any colours I should prioritise while drafting? Had red and black in mind, but I dunno.

red13th

Made a list of cube staples that I wish were reprinted should the Eternal Masters rumour be legit.

White: Balance, Armageddon, Land Tax
Blue: Opposition, Upheaval, Tinker, Show and Tell, Force of Will
Black: Animate Dead, Hymn to Tourach, Vampiric Tutor, Mind Twist, Necromancy
Red: Sneak Attack, Chain Lightning, Burning of Xinye
Green: Natural Order, Sylvan Library, maybe Oath of Druids
Gold: Vindicate
Colourless: Smokestack, Wasteland, Strip Mine, Rishadan Port, Ancient Tomb

Several of them would probably be mythics, either for being broken or for being expensive, like Show and Tell, Sneak Attack (amazing those two aren't in the reserve list), Balance, Natural Order, probably Vindicate too.
Not all of them are expensive though, stuff like Balance, Tinker and Strip Mine are banned in Legacy which makes them rather cheap.

I wonder if they would have the courage to reprint something like Imperial Seal, a worse Vampiric Tutor that's like 20x as expensive solely due to scarcity. I doubt it though.

Ashodin

Emrakul is like a mushroom rite

stf88_emrakulConcept.jpg

so liek

whats the top of a mushroom look like

Mushroom_Top.jpg

HEY THIS LOOKS LIKE THE

latest

:OOOOOOOOOOOO

sidenote: lunar mystic has some baller art

Status
Not open for further replies.