• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

sul6hZw.png

I'll probably lose the first round.

Firemind

It's my first draft cut me some slack.

Edit: lost to mono white of all things. sun titan rebuying kami of ancient law too stronk

(i also didn't draw either wrath or terminus in all three games. that's magic for ya.)

Matriox

http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/149810

Mardu control, anyone have any suggestions? I really like the idea of Gideon emblems and Chandra +1, 1 of linvala seems good in general but also able to be played again through kcommand. Goblin Dark-Dwellers seem legit in general. I'm not sold entirely on hangarback but he's good with Gideon emblems and I can kill it if need be with kcommand to avoid being exiled or whatever.

Edit: I originally ran read the bones over painful Truths to be replayable with Goblins, but I think I'll have plenty of other targets with Goblins that the extra cards off painful Truths might be better but I'm not positive.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/149810

Mardu control, anyone have any suggestions? I really like the idea of Gideon emblems and Chandra +1, 1 of linvala seems good in general but also able to be played again through kcommand. Goblin Dark-Dwellers seem legit in general. I'm not sold entirely on hangarback but he's good with Gideon emblems and I can kill it if need be with kcommand to avoid being exiled or whatever.
Dont play painful truths with Dark Dwellers; play Read the Bones.

I mean it's mtg writers so it's kinda hopeless but I wish they'd make bolas better than a villain that's seemingly trying to steal candy from a baby and failing.

Bolas got his wish, though. He wanted Ugin dead so that the Eldrazi couldn't be resealed, and despite Sarkhan saving Ugin the Eldrazi still got nuked.

I mean, I'm assuming Bolas wanted the Eldrazi dead, as otherwise he'd be laying a smackdown on the Gatewatch. Plus, he had them released knowing full well that they'd get the attention of most neowalkers. Either he wants them dead or he needs one hell of a distraction.

bigkrev

Jacob Wilson and Alexander Hayne are having a hell of a 24 hour stream

-Playing a new Twin deck in Modern queues with Brothers Yamazaki, Evil Twin, Desolation Twin, and Twincast to replace Splinter Twin
- "Testing" the Affinity Matchup by playing a monogreen deck with maindeck Naturalize, Natures Claim, ect against Paul Cheon who's playing Affinity
-Currently, they are lighting copies of Seance on fire.

traveler

Not Wario
The guy next to me at our local prerelease at Mox in Bellevue pulled this pool last weekend:

12400763_966041190141877_9107281890412831616_n.jpg

He also had the RW manland, incidentally. Probably the most absurd sealed pool I've ever seen. Can't imagine the look on an opponent's face when he gets turn 3'd ancient tomb into gideon in sealed.

Went on to 4-0 the event with a solid ub control deck. Kalitas didn't really do much besides discourage attacking, but the gravity negator and countless ramp dudes I had sure did.

Bolas got his wish, though. He wanted Ugin dead so that the Eldrazi couldn't be resealed, and despite Sarkhan saving Ugin the Eldrazi still got nuked.

I mean, I'm assuming Bolas wanted the Eldrazi dead, as otherwise he'd be laying a smackdown on the Gatewatch. Plus, he had them released knowing full well that they'd get the attention of most neowalkers. Either he wants them dead or he needs one hell of a distraction.

Did we get any insight on what Bolas wants since conflux he's just kinda being used to demonstrate the "power" of other walkers

"He fails only because he's SO STRONG he doesn't give a shit."

You'd think he'd be pissed that while failing to get back his power pre mending 2 equally powerful old walkers came back.

Wulfric

Nope, not a coincidence. The card literally says "Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker". These are cards for an upcoming Duel Masters/Kaijudo in Japan. From a Wizards rep on Reddit:

We also included Mitzi the Dragon from the fourth floor, Optimus Prime as a DFC that transforms, and Mr. Monopoly. Other IPs did collaboration cards for that set, too. We had Rockman (Megaman), Sonic the Hedgehog, and characters from Puzzles and Dragons.

Black Box is like our Un-set, but all of the cards are black bordered and legal for tournament play :)

I'm adding pic of Mitzi from my vacation to show what he's referring to. if you're in the Seattle/Renton area, definitely pay Wizards a visit; they're awfully welcoming to visitors.

n64CMv4.jpg

Something like a standalone, draftable, Marvel superhero themed set could be interesting, although not exactly tonally "on message" with Magic.

On topic: I'm probably only going to get to draft the Legacy cube once this go-around, but I'm glad that this was my deck. 3-0 in matches, 6-1 in games. This is my jam - so many of my favorite cube cards in one deck:

OnPoint

A "goes wild" set for MTG would be amazing (but creative would burn the building down before letting it happen.)

I mean all they have to do is get Chandra and Nissa a little tipsy according to that last Fan Official Fiction piece and we should see... wait. You didn't mean that kind of 'Goes Wild', did you?

Ashodin

Why? This is slumming it for MTG, D&D is a lesser IP.

Cross-brand appeal

Make it even a standalone product so you don't "gum up the sacred Official Magic Fiction".

Also "goes wild" clearly means the Dinosaur set.

MU-RA-GAN-DA
MU-RA-GAN-DA
MU-RA-GAN-DA
MU-RA-GAN-DA
MU-RA-GAN-DA
MU-RA-GAN-DA

y2dvd

The guy next to me at our local prerelease at Mox in Bellevue pulled this pool last weekend:

12400763_966041190141877_9107281890412831616_n.jpg

He also had the RW manland, incidentally. Probably the most absurd sealed pool I've ever seen. Can't imagine the look on an opponent's face when he gets turn 3'd ancient tomb into gideon in sealed.

Went on to 4-0 the event with a solid ub control deck. Kalitas didn't really do much besides discourage attacking, but the gravity negator and countless ramp dudes I had sure did.

Jeebus. The luck on some people.

Yeef

I know Oath just released, but I'm really curious to see what Shadows looks like mechanically. There's so many graveyard/discard plants in this set that it's making me curious to see which graveyard abilities we end up with. If they do actually bring back madness (which seems like a slim chance) then Chandra and Kozilek both get a lot better. Oath of Jace also gets a bit better. If they bring back morbid, Kalitas becomes a lot more interesting, since it both hoses and supports morbid. Scion generators, in general, also become stronger.

The main piece of evidence about madness is this Blogatog post from April 2015, from when MaRo was questioning answers Jeopardy style.
avrillives asked: Ask me again in a year : )

Is there a mechanic that you really thought you’d never bring back that you did?

It's just that out of the mechanics that MaRo thought wouldn't come back, madness seems most likely.

Otherwise, transform will of course return, and I expect that instead of flashback, we'll get unearth.

Unearther Mage - 1R
Creature - Human Shaman
Haste
When Unearther Mage enters the battlefield, target creature card in your graveyard gains unearth until end of turn. The unearth cost is equal to its mana cost. (Return the card to the battlefield for its unearth cost. The creature gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield. Unearth only as a sorcery.)
Unearth 2RR
2/1

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Cthulu sucks now that everybody's sideboarding in boats.

I laughed. I remember as a kid, I thought Call was a great story. I read it again a couple of days ago and I was like "So, he came out, ate a couple of dudes got hit by a boat, GG NO REZ?" B

Bitchmade. Same with Yog's brat. Way to get eaten by a puppy, jack.

I know Oath just released, but I'm really curious to see what Shadows looks like mechanically.

Hopefully more coherent than BFZ!

I can really imagine madness working well in a revised form if they build the environment correctly, and if they don't put it in the same set with tons of flashback and threshold it'd be easier to push it. It's also so perfectly on theme that it's kind of hard to resist hoping for.

I don't think we'll get more than two returning mechanics, though, madness and transform. They gotta have space for 4-ish new things.

There is no cross-brand appeal for D&D. It's a dying IP.
No need to be rude :p

I would put money down on D&D outlasting Magic in some distant imaginary future. In terms of people playing it. When you're huddled around the fire after the bombs have gone off, trying to squeeze some joy into your life with some casual games of old, D&D seems more reliable.

But I do agree that there isn't any obvious cross-brand potential.

There is no cross-brand appeal for D&D. It's a dying IP.

If you're talking purely about the value of the games themselves, sure.

I don't think Magic's ever had anywhere near the sort of value D&D has or had as a general-use IP, though. I'm pretty sure one lousy-ish Drizzt book by itself has probably outsold virtually the entire library of supplemental Magic fiction, for instance, and as awful as the D&D movie was someone at least valued the IP enough to bother.

Magic the game is valuable. Magic's value as a "setting" is pretty abysmal.

I mean, there's probably better non-game capitalization of Yu-Gi-Oh, which was just a goofy anime attempt to have Magic without the setting. That almost begs the question if the setting doesn't do more harm than good in terms of IP value.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
D&D is a much stronger overall brand. Magic really only broke out with Duels. Wake me when there are hundreds of Magic books, a half-dozen Hollywood movies and roughly infinite video games - some of which are considered the best in the genre. D&D is on a down cycle, but you're fooling yourself if you think Magic's current success isn't a bubble. It may plateau at a higher point than it was before it's pop culture relevance (I'd definitely bet cash money on it) but popularity like this has a shelf life. D&D has weathered the storm for decades. As long as there are nerds with no cash (aka high school kids) D&D will remain strong.

If you're talking purely about the value of the games themselves, sure.

I don't think Magic's ever had anywhere near the sort of value D&D has or had as a general-use IP, though. I'm pretty sure one lousy-ish Drizzt book by itself has probably outsold virtually the entire library of supplemental Magic fiction, for instance, and as awful as the D&D movie was someone at least valued the IP enough to bother.

Magic the game is valuable. Magic's value as a "setting" is pretty abysmal.

I mean, there's probably better non-game capitalization of Yu-Gi-Oh, which was just a goofy anime attempt to have Magic without the setting. That almost begs the question if the setting doesn't do more harm than good in terms of IP value.

This seems accurate

Madness while Jace is still legal though?

Wait a second did someone just call Drizzt lousy? D&D fiction aside from Drizzt and Elminster is pretty dead. Paul S. Kemp's book tanked and the Brimstone Angels books are the only new series that's running atm.

I laughed. I remember as a kid, I thought Call was a great story. I read it again a couple of days ago and I was like "So, he came out, ate a couple of dudes got hit by a boat, GG NO REZ?" B

Bitchmade. Same with Yog's brat. Way to get eaten by a puppy, jack.
The main draw is Lovecraft's absurdly high level of eloquence. Once you get past that all of his stories are, "I'm so shocked that I can't begin to describe this thing but let me describe it to you".

I'm a huge lovecraft nut but it's hard to read multiple short stories from him back-to-back.

I wonder if the reason there's no new Karla Ortiz art in Battle Block is because her talents tend to lie in Innistrad's subject matter. She did mention before that Wizards loves giving her zombie commissions.

I wouldn't be surprised if she did new art for LOTV. Wizards is so confident in her painting Lili that her art was the only marketing for ORI for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom