• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
gonna laugh if the Exarch/Kiki doesn't wheel

I imagine I'd take the Kiki first because there's always some mono-red joker that probably thinks it works well with his Flametongue Kavu or something.

BFZ and Oath go as well together in Draft as Peanut Butter and Cyanide.

Oath feels nice and smooth, and then you open BFZ and get a bunch of meh. My two Oath packs had me going a pretty decent WG Ally Support deck, and then I reached BFZ.

Oof.

Haines

Banned
Mana floods are the worst. Anyone who complains about mana screws have never had the displeasure of drawing half their lands by turn ten.

Yeah i had like 12 lands by about halfway through my deck today in a game, at least mana screw you can still play all of your 3 drops you draw lol

Going to sealed tomorrow. I have a weakness of being the last one finishing my deck.

Do you guys have any tips for deck building in sealed?

I generally just pile colors, lands, golds
Sort colors by unplayable, filler and bombs, quickly
Try to find what color im being pulled into the most, see if i have colors to support any bombs, removal
Start laying out deck by mana cost, with creatures up top, spells below,

Tinker and fix
Add mana

I have a good grasp on cards, how to build a deck, etc. Ive watched pros build sealed decks in like 10 minutes, think i just need to practice? Maybe now thati have 2 prereleases under my belt ill be quicker. Maybe i need to cut any chit chat out.

Matriox

suGfUrt.jpg

My LGS found this in their release day promo pack. Not sure if this is for every pack.

Ashodin

oh yeahhhh

My store was open for a couple of hours because of snow, I sneaked in and they had no product

FUCK

then I said "fuck it gimme a prerelease pack"

y9lzPMK.jpg

BOOM SON

Wichu

Had a game at Standard FNM where I killed someone with something like seven unblockable double strikers ranging from 8/8 to 12/12 in size after drawing half my deck in one turn.

This is why I play Magic.

Ryan S Dancey is a sleazy snake-oil salesman who invests a lot of time into creating biased narratives in support of whatever specific job he has at the moment, but I agree D&D is a significantly smaller brand at this point.

I find this really interesting on how Red in the color pie has been developing in the past two years. The use or lose card draw, Prowess & menace, hasty self exiling tokens and now this temporary flashback that I hope to see more of. Did I miss any other developments? Any other directions you want to see red or other colors to go?

You forgot looting.

My big things that I think they should do: I think polymorphing makes more sense in red, that color both needs it more and fits better with how it functions mechanically. And I'd like to see them continue giving red access to temporary stuff -- my big one right now is temporary reanimation.

Guess that is the WMCQ promo, which is crazy early to be leaked!

One of the things that we've discovered is that they basically print an entire years' worth of promos all in one big annual batch, so it's not super crazy for a promo like this to leak pretty early.

Ashodin

My big things that I think they should do: I think polymorphing makes more sense in red, that color both needs it more and fits better with how it functions mechanically. And I'd like to see them continue giving red access to temporary stuff -- my big one right now is temporary reanimation.

RED LANTERN

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That art was leaked via the MTGO beta the same time that the Modern bannings leaked. It's super sick.

There's like 5 people on the MTGO beta, so I never have anyone to play against, and when I do, they're playing some kind of weird jank (which is hilarious since you have access to every single card)

Ryan S Dancey is a sleazy snake-oil salesman who invests a lot of time into creating biased narratives in support of whatever specific job he has at the moment, but I agree D&D is a significantly smaller brand at this point.

You forgot looting.

One of the things that we've discovered is that they basically print an entire years' worth of promos all in one big annual batch, so it's not super crazy for a promo like this to leak pretty early.

You'd have to sell me really hard on polymorphing in red. It seems blue and secondary in green. Like I'm not sure why flavorwise, it would be red.

And yeah, I think the printers basically blow a huge wad of cards at once and then don't do anything. It's not like they continuously print basically anything. I honestly think its surprising how little actually leaks as it is given how early they apparently send stuff off to the printers.

I've never really bothered to look up the proper standards for Magic card design, but I assume by reanimation in red you mean something like:

Echoes in the Ashes
2RR
Enchantment

Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may pay R. If you do, exile target creature card from your graveyard. Put a token onto the battlefield that is a copy of that creature. Exile that token during the next End Step.

Hmm, that seems too useful for defensive purposes to be Red, though. Maybe:

Pyreflame Caller
3R
3/2

Menace

Whenever Pyreflame Caller attacks, you may exile target creature card from your graveyard. If you do, put a token that is a copy of that creature onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Exile that token at the end of combat.

Or do you mean more of a "creature Flashback" type ability that actually activates off the creature card in the graveyard, itself?

kirblar

Red makes sense, it fits with the controlled chaos thing - stuff like Flowstone stuff that Blue already tries to jack.

Basically, a lot of the shared U/R mechanics need to move to mono-Red.

Angry Grimace

I don't know, it seems like red at this point has gained like 4 or 5 things it "does" in the last decade alone.

The fact that a bunch of them weren't keyworded (and for impulse draw, still aren't) is weird.

3:0'd my draft with Abzan cohort. Green was splashed with and for the G/B manland.

Curving Drana's Emissary into the 2/4 flyer that pings when you gain life is brutal. BFZ is crucial to the success of decks imo, just because of complete disregard alone.

In the BFZ pack I got not only Tajuru Warcaller but also the Beast that rallys for +1/+1.

The games were mostly boardstalls which I just won with cohort. One Game I almost got killed from 20 health, I got hit with 23 damage and survived with 1 thanks to Felidar Sovereign gaining 4. Also won against UG playing 2 exert influences and Worldbreaker. Blue lacks any hard removal unlike Black which has plenty especially once you include BFZ

Hero

Red makes sense, it fits with the controlled chaos thing - stuff like Flowstone stuff that Blue already tries to jack.

Yeah, completely agree here.

I actually think Remand should be a red card. It's a counterspell, but only temporary since they get the spell/card back.

kirblar

Yeah, completely agree here.

I actually think Remand should be a red card. It's a counterspell, but only temporary since they get the spell/card back.
Nah, tempo is Blue's thing. It's why bounce was bad for/too good for red. Same would go for Remand.

Hero

Nah, tempo is Blue's thing. It's why bounce was bad for/too good for red. Same would go for Remand.

When did red get bounce other than Stingscourger?

I don't like the fact that blue is the only color that gets too consistently and reliably interact with spells on the fact. Red can copy them but that's almost always been crappy.

kirblar

When did red get bounce other than Stingscourger?

I don't like the fact that blue is the only color that gets too consistently and reliably interact with spells on the fact. Red can copy them but that's almost always been crappy.
Just Stingscourger, but that was apparently already too scary. You essentially turn mono-R into UR.

Also Dead//Gone. I've never understood why Gone is red and not blue.

It was Planar Chaos, that's why.

Imperfected, about temporary reanimation, we already saw a bit of that in red with unearth (from Shards of Alara). The format they used is "return to the battlefield, it gains haste, exile it at end step or if would leave battlefield."

First Box
- foil kozileck
- good variety of playable rares and uncmmons.
- couple foil rares

Second Box
- mystic gate expidition
- kozileck
- nissa
- chandra
- 3 mimics
- a bunch of playable pulls

Second box just kept giving and giving, holy shit man.

It was Planar Chaos, that's why.

Imperfected, about temporary reanimation, we already saw a bit of that in red with unearth (from Shards of Alara). The format they used is "return to the battlefield, it gains haste, exile it at end step or if would leave battlefield."

But didn't all of the deliberately shifted cards have a different frame? Or I guess...no, that was only cards that were functional reprints in a different color.

Stingscourger was from Planar Chaos too, although he gets a pass for being a badass goblin wielding a Man-o-war on a pitchfork as a weapon.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
My wife and I each opened a Fat Pack tonight, waiting for booster box to arrive early next week. I got 2 Nissa and she got 2 World Breaker. Weird.

I bought a pre-release box today. Nearly all of my rare slots were LANDS. I've never had that before.

I did pull a mythic though. Inverter of Truth. /cries

Anybody feel up to giving me some feedback on my U/G/c deck based around playing stuff at instant speed for value?

Spells
4x Anticipate
4x Bounding Krasis
4x Dimensional Infiltrator
3x Grip of the Roil
2x Harbinger of the Tides
3x Horribly Awry
2x Negate
3x Slip Through Space
4x Vile Redeemer
4x Void Grafter
4x Void Shatter

Lands
4x Crumbling Vestige
4x Yavimaya Coast
8x Island
1x Sea Gate Wreckage
6x Forest

Sideboard
a work in progress

Link to deck @ TappedOut.net

I played it at FNM tonight, and the manabase seems to be a problem. Crumbling Vestige doesn't work well with playing things at instant speed, and I found myself color-screwed a few times.

Another Legacy cube tonight. I lost one match, thanks to my opponent topdecking Terminus the turn after I'd turned the corner (clearing the board and slamming Griselbrand), and then a brutal mulligan to five that didn't develop in game two. Everything else played out just like I wanted and I finished 2-1.

In my second match against mono red, I moved from UB to GB, and this may just be confirmation bias, but it turned out to be the best possible decision. I lose game one pretty handily, but smashed games two and three. I almost played Sultai, but decided that the added consistency of being in two colors was better.

Also, I didn't play Karn in the maindeck (except when I had green in the deck). That decision felt right during the games, but I'm still not 100% sure it was. Not putting Karn in a "do big things" deck feels weird, but I just wasn't comfortable with putting it in the deck when I didn't have any real mana accelerants.

I really do like Legacy cube better than Vintage cube. I know Time Vault is terrible for cube design, but that particular iteration of the cube was the only one I really enjoyed. I feel like the Vintage cube has gone down in quality, but the Legacy one is climbing up (dropping the Vampires helped a lot, of course).

Yeef

Dropped only a single game at draft tonight with a BR deck. Had a ton of removal, decent creature base and lantern for ramp/scry. The cohort guys that ping are great at closing out the last few points, but this combo was the real MVP:

69.jpg
74.jpg

Anybody feel up to giving me some feedback on my U/G/c deck based around playing stuff at instant speed for value?

Spells
4x Anticipate
4x Bounding Krasis
4x Dimensional Infiltrator
3x Grip of the Roil
2x Harbinger of the Tides
3x Horribly Awry
2x Negate
3x Slip Through Space
4x Vile Redeemer
4x Void Grafter
4x Void Shatter

Lands
4x Crumbling Vestige
4x Yavimaya Coast
8x Island
1x Sea Gate Wreckage
6x Forest

Sideboard
a work in progress

Link to deck @ TappedOut.net

I played it at FNM tonight, and the manabase seems to be a problem. Crumbling Vestige doesn't work well with playing things at instant speed, and I found myself color-screwed a few times.

Link doesn't work, I'm guessing you didn't make the deck public.

Anyway, it looks like your deck is basically just:
1. Only cast spells on my opponent's turn.
2. ???
3. Win.

It doesn't seem you have a real gameplan. The way "only act during your opponent's turn" decks usually work is that they buy time until you have a bunch of lands, holding up mana to either cast a counter, or if the opponent doesn't do anything, use a spell to draw cards. But those decks usually only have a few creatures, and they are big creatures that can't be blocked or removed easily, like Sphinx of the Final Word.

It looks like you're going for more of an aggressive style of deck, but in that case, you don't actually have enough creatures. And if you're only using colorless mana for Vile Redeemer, then you might as well drop it and the Crumbling Vestiges. Sea Gate Wreckage enters untapped, and has a relevant ability, so it's safer to keep around.

Angry Grimace

My sick box pulls let me show you them:

Thought-Knot Seer
Chandra
Nissa
Kozilek
Kozilek's Return
Kozilek's Return (foil)
General Tazri
Sphinx of the Final Word
Tectonic Edge (Expedition)

I already have a playset of Nissa lol

You'd have to sell me really hard on polymorphing in red. It seems blue and secondary in green. Like I'm not sure why flavorwise, it would be red.

Let me clarify, actually: I'd leave stuff like Pongify and Turn to Frog in blue/green where it makes perfect sense. I would move the specific effect on Polymorph and cards like it -- getting rid of a creature or permanent, then digging through the deck to get a random replacement. That seems very red to me because it's chaotic, and not blue at all since you don't control anything about it.

I don't know, it seems like red at this point has gained like 4 or 5 things it "does" in the last decade alone.

Because red had far, far and away the fewest things it did of any color.

Or at least red-primary.

Maybe:

Pyreflame Caller
3R
3/2

Menace

Whenever Pyreflame Caller attacks, you may exile target creature card from your graveyard. If you do, put a token that is a copy of that creature onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Exile that token at the end of combat.

This is basically a mechanic I had in my GDS2 submission, so yeah, stuff like that.

Angry Grimace

I'm a little surprised how high LSV is on Nissa, actually.

Angry Grimace

She did gum the board up hard when dropped on turn three of the one Limited game I played against her. In Constructed? I have no idea what she does
He said basically: don't underestimate a 3 mana walker that poops chump blockers. It's possible that the thought that she sucks is colored by the fact that she can be directly compared to Gideon at 4 who does the same thing but clearly better.

kirblar

The whole point of many of the Eldrazi in this set is to just fuck counterspells, lol. Cavern would just be another step in helping them do that.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Which would be fine in a standard environment without any playable counterspells. Like the original printing! All they have to do is not print any good counter magic. All of the decent ones will be rotated out. Ain't shit popping on that front in BFZ block.

Angry Grimace

Cavern is actually one of those obvious Development Cards I don't really like.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I like it because it's a good counterweight when people start bitching about blue cards being blue cards. It's not perfect, but it was a necessary release valve. That I fucking KNEW was going to spike and didn't jump on.

Anybody wanna trade some off, HMU.

Firemind

I really do like Legacy cube better than Vintage cube. I know Time Vault is terrible for cube design, but that particular iteration of the cube was the only one I really enjoyed. I feel like the Vintage cube has gone down in quality, but the Legacy one is climbing up (dropping the Vampires helped a lot, of course).
I still don't really like red's token subtheme. I tried it tonight and it was way too slow. I had both Purphoros and Goblin Bombardment but it just loses to wraths, fatties and lifelink. At least two of those standard mono red doesn't have an issue with. Red has been putting up results in previous iterations but I wonder what the win percentages are in swiss and single elimination. Like you've experienced, red is kind of weak against a lot of strategies, so it seems like it's only putting up results because people are greedy or don't know what to draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom