• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cavern of Souls is not going to be reprinted in SOI. Wizards seems to have lost interest in using Standard for Eternal reprints, the big price jump was recent to my understanding, and there's little reason to think Development would believe counterspells are a problem in Standard.

I think what Nissa needs is more +1/+1 Counter buddies. She's not "bad", it's just Gideon is that stupid powerwise.

I also get the fact that the +1/+1 counter addition was a last minute change, as Ashaya is a no show in the set despite being a third of Nissa's UR content. It's especially odd because her Origins version has Ashaya despite her not even being in Origins.

ironmang

This mono wastes eldrazi deck is actually pretty good. No mythics either so it should be a pretty cheap deck for it's duration in standard. Probably not Tier 1 but I'd feel a lot more comfortable taking this into a tournament than something like tutelage.

Creatures:
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Hedron Crawler
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Reality Smasher
4 Walker of the Wastes
2 Endbringer
Spells:
4 Seer's Lantern
4 Titan's Presence
Lands:
22 Wastes
4 Sea Gate Wreckage

Insaniac

Some decent pulls from my box of Oath today, 2 foils lands (plains / islands gotta love those shiny full arts), Chandra, Kozilek, 2 World Breakers, 3 reality smashers, etc. I think i'm might try an eldrazi deck. Also, one of the owners of my local store was cool enough to give me his promo goblin Dark-dwellers even though I missed out on it since he didn't actually play magic.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This mono wastes eldrazi deck is actually pretty good. No mythics either so it should be a pretty cheap deck for it's duration in standard. Probably not Tier 1 but I'd feel a lot more comfortable taking this into a tournament than something like tutelage.

Why play Seer's Lantern over Spatial Contortion

ironmang

y2dvd

Pulled a Kozilek's Return last night in sealed. Too bad I had no bomb Eldrazis to justify playing it. Too bad I had no bombs, nor much removals, period! Went 2-2, losing to the most absurd pools ever. Have I mentioned how much I hate sealed? /salty

ironmang

Damn blizzard keeping me away from a sealed pptq I was planning on attending. Feeling real good about this set too and this is the only sealed pptq that's within reasonable driving distance for quite a while.

Haines

Banned
Heading to sealed in a bit, get a prerelease box 5 bucks cheaper as long as they have enough, so thats nice. Im hoping for black white allies, so i can practice my combat/ trigger skills as it seems very intensive. My other hope is green, as i believe that its secretely better in this set if you can grab the landflall and big bodies that take advantage of boardstalls.

I could never buy a box, or fatty bc i dont play anything other than limited, but i like seeing what you guys opened.

Link doesn't work, I'm guessing you didn't make the deck public.

Anyway, it looks like your deck is basically just:
1. Only cast spells on my opponent's turn.
2. ???
3. Win.

It doesn't seem you have a real gameplan. The way "only act during your opponent's turn" decks usually work is that they buy time until you have a bunch of lands, holding up mana to either cast a counter, or if the opponent doesn't do anything, use a spell to draw cards. But those decks usually only have a few creatures, and they are big creatures that can't be blocked or removed easily, like Sphinx of the Final Word.

It looks like you're going for more of an aggressive style of deck, but in that case, you don't actually have enough creatures. And if you're only using colorless mana for Vile Redeemer, then you might as well drop it and the Crumbling Vestiges. Sea Gate Wreckage enters untapped, and has a relevant ability, so it's safer to keep around.

Thanks for the feedback. It was pretty fun to play an aggressive deck that played everything at instant speed, but in hindsight I agree that the deck just doesn't work. I've always played aggro or midrange (often because those decks are cheaper) but maybe I'll try my hand at a proper budget control deck. I might skip blue altogether, between not wanting to pay for Jace, and counterspells being worse than usual right now.

I still don't really like red's token subtheme. I tried it tonight and it was way too slow. I had both Purphoros and Goblin Bombardment but it just loses to wraths, fatties and lifelink. At least two of those standard mono red doesn't have an issue with. Red has been putting up results in previous iterations but I wonder what the win percentages are in swiss and single elimination. Like you've experienced, red is kind of weak against a lot of strategies, so it seems like it's only putting up results because people are greedy or don't know what to draft.

The tokens in the cube are weird. They've put things like Attrition and Purphoros and other stuff (including staples like Opposition), so you'd think there'd be a way to get real value out of Hordeling Outburst and its ilk. But I've never seen a deck come together that was actually happy to have those cards.

Pulled a Kozilek's Return last night in sealed. Too bad I had no bomb Eldrazis to justify playing it. Too bad I had no bombs, nor much removals, period! Went 2-2, losing to the most absurd pools ever. Have I mentioned how much I hate sealed? /salty

A 3-mana instant Pyroclasm is still really good, though, especially if you were low on removal. You should have run it (assuming you were in red).

y2dvd

A 3-mana instant Pyroclasm is still really good, though, especially if you were low on removal. You should have run it (assuming you were in red).

I was red white aggro that event so it would've destroyed my own deck.

Blah did a sealed pptq this morning. Playing WG aggro with 16 lands. 4 cards top out at 4cmc. How do I keep flooding out and having 8 mana in play? Lol this game sometimes. :/

How are you supposed to create mana bases for wedge colors like Abzan in standard. G/W is easy to get but black is hard. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Yeef

How are you supposed to create mana bases for wedge colors like Abzan in standard. G/W is easy to get but black is hard. I have no idea what I'm doing.
It's just as easy to play 4 colors as wedges, which is why you see so many four color decks floating around.

Lucario

For Abzan, it gets a lot smoother if you add in 1x Sunken Hollow and 1x Smoldering Marsh to grab with your fetchlands. Doesn't matter that you can't use the other color, it's just good to have the option.

Shambling Vents and Llanowar Wastes are great too.

Guh-ross. Oath boxes are 189 CAN :( Guess I'll be holding off on that until something changes, lol

Edit: At one LGS, anyway. Can get them online cheaper, but this particular LGS normally has level-headed prices.

Guh-ross. Oath boxes are 189 CAN :( Guess I'll be holding off on that until something changes, lol

Edit: At one LGS, anyway. Can get them online cheaper, but this particular LGS normally has level-headed prices.

My LGS(Yellow jacket in Victoria) has them for about $150 IIRC.

And to answer your prior post, I'm going to GP Vancouver. First GP, hoping I'll have fun.

My LGS(Yellow jacket in Victoria) has them for about $150 IIRC.

And to answer your prior post, I'm going to GP Vancouver. First GP, hoping I'll have fun.

Yeah, I think the 'proper' price is 129.99+tax = 149. I have ordered some cards from Ontario shops that are coming to the GP to save on shipping, lol, so I'm at least showing up for that :)

tch

3-0'd my draft going GUc which was cool since I haven't drafted since INN-DKA (although I have a suspicion that my pod wasn't particularly skilled..) I first picked a foil Endbringer over Crush of tentacles which the guy I passed to made a huge spectacle out of. Fortunately I ran him over with it in the second round despite him casting Crush in both games. Also won a sweet game with Embodiment of Insight and a double-landfall turn due to Blighted Woodland for exactly lethal.

MVPs were Endbringer, Cyclone Sire x2, and Dampening Pulse (broke open a few games)

Cracked another Kozilek in prize packs but it was super miscut so I got store credit for it and picked up a Drana for my cube. Also opened some Japanese packs, man those cards look and FEEL awesome, wish I could read them haha. Got a Japanese Warping Wail and a Wastes which is cool.

kirblar

This whol thing with the Modern PT reaľlu nakes me wish we had a real nationals system for the bigger coubtries. Making Modern the format of choice for the WMC events (allowing fout std pts) would make much more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom