• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should make this card

CZbip-FWwAE0Fay.jpg

This one's scary playable sideboard hate.

At GGGG? I'd imagine that's pretty prohibitive.

really? Of course cost adjusted. Cards get changed in development all the time.

sgjackson

random mark rosewater tumblr update: idk if this is a recent occurrence or not but i just noticed today he's gone from complaining about bushido being a good mechanic but hard to reuse because of the name (i don't have a source but it's happened enough to be memorable) to "we are also willing to rename old mechanics if we have to reposition them," and specifically addresses ninjutsu as on the table to consider.

i'm totally unsure if path of bone has any weird rules implications but it's pretty sweet. wonder what the appropriate cost would be.

random mark rosewater tumblr update: idk if this is a recent occurrence or not but i just noticed today he's gone from complaining about bushido being a good mechanic but hard to reuse because of the name (i don't have a source but it's happened enough to be memorable) to "we are also willing to rename old mechanics if we have to reposition them," and specifically addresses ninjutsu as on the table to consider.

This isn't new. He's said for a long time that a renamed bushido and ninjutsu are likely to return.

ultron87

Sure, but it's repeatable.
Thats why you have to make everything that has it either be super overcosted or have low toughness so that it isn't just busted. A good provoke creature just causes crappy game states where the opponent can't win because everything they play just gets picked off by it.

Ashodin

Watching the latest professor's video with Chandra, yeah it's pretty clear how creatively bankrupt for the protags in Magic they are. I mean, fuckin' Kamahl would have made a better Planeswalker than Chandra, and they gave the spark to fuckin' JESKA, who became Phage, and then reverted after Karona blew up. Then she gave her spark for the mending and that was also dumb. But even Jeska would have made a better protag because she would be haunted by the stuff she did as Phage, which is much cooler and interesting.

Toxi

Banned
Watching the latest professor's video with Chandra, yeah it's pretty clear how creatively bankrupt for the protags in Magic they are. I mean, fuckin' Kamahl would have made a better Planeswalker than Chandra, and they gave the spark to fuckin' JESKA, who became Phage, and then reverted after Karona blew up. Then she gave her spark for the mending and that was also dumb. But even Jeska would have made a better protag because she would be haunted by the stuff she did as Phage, which is much cooler and interesting.
Koth's the obvious choice for a more interesting Red protagonist, but I guess they're saving him until New Phyrexia.

OnPoint

Chandra is a red character stereotype. My prayer is they give each of the Origins 5 some sort of growth arc, and they actually change and mature as we go forward.

I am, however, doubtful that will be the case.

Haines

Banned
I kind of hate going to a sealed and getting my deck like 90% there and then I have to play and I stumble most games because my deck wasn't 100% and than come home and fix it in like 20 minutes.

But ive really learned a lot and I'm very confident in what I know now
Still lots to learn tho.

Doesnt after cuz I won't be playing sealed for a few months now anyways.

So now I can just draft and play kitchen table. Sealed is great but expensive for how many of the cards your paying for that you actually play with that day.

Hero

Chandra is a red character stereotype. My prayer is they give each of the Origins 5 some sort of growth arc, and they actually change and mature as we go forward.

I am, however, doubtful that will be the case.

I am skeptical as well. These characters have been around for years and how many have actually gone through any type of change?

Liliana and Garruk? And I guess Venser since he's dead.

What I find annoying about the Origins Five is that there are no dark skinned people (sorry, Gideon sometimes being tanned doesn't count), even if I am happy about 3 of the 5 being women. And since they've said that they aren't going to introduce as many new planeswalker characters, basically every new one will need dark skin for a while for any kind of balance to occur.

red13th

What I find annoying about the Origins Five is that there are no dark skinned people (sorry, Gideon sometimes being tanned doesn't count), even if I am happy about 3 of the 5 being women. And since they've said that they aren't going to introduce as many new planeswalker characters, basically every new one will need dark skin for a while for any kind of balance to occur.

Kill Chandra, upgrade Koth

ultron87

My friends who can never decide on a format are moving to Pauper now. It was very refreshing to be able to buy a whole deck for 30 bucks.

And hey, you get to cast Mulldrifters. I love casting Mulldrifters.

As long as they're going whole hog on the "Planeswalkers are Superheroes" story direction, there's no chance any of them are getting any meaningful character growth unless it fits a pre-established superhero character trope

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Admittedly we're basing this off of one very rushed blocks implementation of the story stuff but yeah, Scars through Khans block had sort of that awesome Zelazny Princes of Amber thing going on, where very powerful figures wandered into their own adventures and occasionally bounced off each other. SoI has a lot to prove for me if they're really trying to get the Saturday morning vibe to work.

Admittedly we're basing this off of one very rushed blocks implementation of the story stuff but yeah, Scars through Khans block had sort of that awesome Zelazny Princes of Amber thing going on, where very powerful figures wandered into their own adventures and occasionally bounced off each other. SoI has a lot to prove for me if they're really trying to get the Saturday morning vibe to work.

Can I just say that I love you for mentioning that series and its Author? The mere mention makes me want to grab them and start again. Considering the size maybe it's good barely anyone knows or mentions them.

The blind eternities were never as awesome as the acid trips that was planeswalking in those books. Hardest cliffhanger of my life, never to be fulfilled.

Koth and Sarkhan will more then likely join the Gatewatch.

Is Teferi even a planeswalker any more?

Haines

Banned
Was there any live drafts this weekend i can watch? Thought someone said there was, checked scg twotch vods and all standard

I played some hearthstone, after so much magic, and the rng can really piss me off.

I will continue to play it for fun once in a while, but not near as serious as before. I like how mahic all of your minions have taunt if you want as well. Thats a really big deal.

traveler

Not Wario
I felt like Chandra needed 1 more loyalty and/or 1 less mana in the cost. A 6 drop planeswalker that can't do anything against Siege Rhino, which comes down for 2 mana less before it, is pretty rough right now. The tokens don't stick around and she can't sweep it off the board. At least at 5 loyalty you could trade your 6 drop for their 4, hopefully with some upside.

kirblar

I felt like Chandra needed 1 more loyalty and/or 1 less mana in the cost. A 6 drop planeswalker that can't do anything against Siege Rhino, which comes down for 2 mana less before it, is pretty rough right now. The tokens don't stick around and she can't sweep it off the board. At least at 5 loyalty you could trade your 6 drop for their 4, hopefully with some upside.
She's only dealing with Rhino for 3 months.

traveler

Not Wario
Right, and hopefully she'll find a place afterwards. Efro was super high on it and first week SCG isn't exactly format solved by any means, so I'm not calling it off for her just yet; I just didn't see the immediate potential for this standard that others seemed to be excited about.

I'm wondering, if we're expanding Red's pie, would a possible counter work? Something like this:

Chandra's Denial 1R
Instant
As an additional cost to cast ~, discard a card at random.

Counter target spell. If the spell is countered this way, deal 2 Damage to Target Player or creature.

Watching the latest professor's video with Chandra, yeah it's pretty clear how creatively bankrupt for the protags in Magic they are.

For better or worse, it's not creative bankruptcy; it's a conscious choice to use the characters with the easiest entry points (i.e. least interesting backstory and/or personality) as the faces of the brand.

What I find annoying about the Origins Five is that there are no dark skinned people (sorry, Gideon sometimes being tanned doesn't count), even if I am happy about 3 of the 5 being women.

Yes, this is pretty annoying. I get the feeling from the creative team that they're interested in solving this, but they're gonna have to rotate one of the mains out to make it work.

Oh look, Kozilek's Return, World Breaker & friends at 9-0.

What a shock.

Tier 2.5!

The random one-off Planeswalkers were always cooler than the big five. It's a shame that there's little hope of getting those these days.

Nah, they'll need to keep filling out the stable. Even before this shift BFZ was always gonna be loaded down with legacy PWs because of how the story was set up, I expect a lot of future blocks to be lighter.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm telling you, Chandra biting it is going to happen. They're sticking super close to the super hero formula. She had twin badass moments in Oath with burning Ob and two titans. Jace did too, but they'll never kill the guy they view as their "Mickey Mouse." Couple that with the demand to go to her plane and the developmental issues they've had with her and you have a perfect opportunity to kill her off saving her homeland from X.

Tier 2.5!

Oh, is there a modern tournament going on? I'd like to see the list. Interested to see what configuration is looking most successful.

ElyrionX

I have no idea why this shit even matters.

Ashodin

I just think Chandra could be amazing (as a card) but they're SO scared of her being too good that they don't want to give her anything.

Seeing her used as a finisher today in Standard was pretty cool though.

http://magiccards.info/4e/en/236.html ? I'm pretty sure countering is strictly out of red's wheelhouse in the modern day color pie
In Alpha, one concept that was played around with was a color getting the abilities of its enemies in order to fight them.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

It just confused the issue of what colors can do, so they stopped.

I have no idea why this shit even matters.

You don't see the issue with the fact that there's only one black planeswalker that we know is still a planeswalker, and all of the main characters are super white?

Let me clarify, actually: I'd leave stuff like Pongify and Turn to Frog in blue/green where it makes perfect sense. I would move the specific effect on Polymorph and cards like it -- getting rid of a creature or permanent, then digging through the deck to get a random replacement. That seems very red to me because it's chaotic, and not blue at all since you don't control anything about it

Kind of like Choas Warp? Maro was apparently unhappy with this card because it was out of the wrong color, but I disagree as it feels very red to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom