• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

Did you just ask why Wizards was bad at something not made of cardboard?

mpKZg.png

bigkrev

Huh, I guess displaying team names is a new thing they are doing on stream?
Makes it feel more like e-sports, for better or for worse

Guess it makes sense, because every standard deck is 4 colors now, there really aren't official names for the color combonations, so putting the name of the deck doesn't make sense.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Actual teams would be the best thing ever for on-camera play. I don't know how they'd do it, but man, that'd be cooler than "Guy vs Guy."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know if I can keep playing this game. Land issues make me go into apoplectic rage.

Took my Burn deck out for a spin last night. It's a pretty standard decklist.

4x Goblin Guide
4x Eidolon of the Great Revel
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Wild Nacatl
2x Grim Lavamancer

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Rift Bolt
4x Lava Spike
4x Boros Charm
4x Atarka's Command
2x Lightning Helix

12x Fetches
6x Shocks
2x Mountains

Went 3-2, but two of my wins came against budget Rakdos Aggro decks. My other win was against Affinity and then I lost against Elves and Delver.

From what I've read on Burn decks, they're often labelled 'as fairly easy to learn, but surprising difficult to pilot optimally', due to the importance of knowing the deck, when to play various lands and spells, and how to react turn by turn to keep up the pressure, and not loose tempo? Is this actually the case?

Also, which fetches do you run?

tap mana burn face

seems easy enough

Zoo is Play Dudes, Tap them, but Zoo has the benefit of Damage coming from permanents.

Burn has roughly 10 Cards it gets to see(Assuming perfect hand and 3 draws on the play). Assuming Burn gets 3 land in that 10, they have 7 one shot cards to deal 20 Damage. That's feasible, but if your opponent has literally anything to prevent your damage you basically autolose from what I know. Leyline, even with the Anti-Enchantment stuff Burn has now, is still a doozy.

I played my Modern deck at the GP Today and got curbstomped by Affinity in round 1. Thought I boarded pretty well, but the snowball effect was too strong(He dropped 6 Cards on turn 1. Like, what.) Maybe I'm just used to Standard and I need to adapt.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zoo is Play Dudes, Tap them, but Zoo has the benefit of Damage coming from permanents.

Burn has roughly 10 Cards it gets to see(Assuming perfect hand and 3 draws on the play). Assuming Burn gets 3 land in that 10, they have 7 one shot cards to deal 20 Damage. That's feasible, but if your opponent has literally anything to prevent your damage you basically autolose from what I know. Leyline, even with the Anti-Enchantment stuff Burn has now, is still a doozy.

I just play Worship in Abzan now because it is hilarious to get free auto wins every once in a while.

Joe Molotov

From what I've read on Burn decks, they're often labelled 'as fairly easy to learn, but surprising difficult to pilot optimally', due to the importance of knowing the deck, when to play various lands and spells, and how to react turn by turn to keep up the pressure, and not loose tempo? Is this actually the case?

4x Wooded Foothill
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Arid Mesa

Basically as long as you have 12 fetches that can get a mountain, you're good. So Scalding Tarns are fine too, but I'm not using them for obvious (read: monetary) reasons. The shocklands are 3x each of Sacred Foundry and Stomping Ground.

I'm still learning the deck myself, but I guess the major thing you have to work out is what hands are unkeepable. If you can't get close to killing your opponent with the cards in your opening hand, then you probably won't win. Drawing two lands in a row can be devastating. There were several games were I needed to top-deck a burn spell to win and hit a land (and one where I needed to top-deck a burn to win and did).

traveler

Not Wario
Whats the expected trajectory for expedition prices? Got a Horizon Canopy and wondering if I should offload it now as we saw the previous expeditions drop over the course of bfz drafting and I don't play modern OR if I should play the long game as horizon canopy is a fairly safe, eternal playable card and these things will never show up again once bfz/oath is gone.

kirblar

Whats the expected trajectory for expedition prices? Got a Horizon Canopy and wondering if I should offload it now as we saw the previous expeditions drop over the course of bfz drafting and I don't play modern OR if I should play the long game as horizon canopy is a fairly safe, eternal playable card and these things will never show up again once bfz/oath is gone.
HOLD.

If you can comfortably sit on any expedition, the smart move is hold. The dumb move is to hold it. Pretty much the only move is to hold them.

That said, I sold all of mine cause they were all opened on the respective release days and I got trades something like $250 for my Arid Mesa, $75 for Sunken Hollow, and a box for Sunken Ruins. I'm having problems getting any money to spend on magic in the last year, so it was the move I needed to make if I wanted to keep playing standard.

Anyone see the Kent Ketter punt? Grabbed the wrong land and missed having double white for the win. Then while he was trying to recover and try not to lose to give himself another shot, he further punted. I felt super sorry for him. We've all been there.

what is clear is that expedition prices, in theory, should only go up unless they are somehow reprinted. even then, the chances of getting a particular expedition are really small. very difficult to argue with those that say holding is the best option.

traveler

Not Wario
Thanks guys!

Out of curiosity, would you offer the same advice for lands that have less eternal appeal? (i.e. the BfZ lands) Or is eventual scarcity such an overriding concern here that long term playability doesn't really matter?

Thanks guys!

Out of curiosity, would you offer the same advice for lands that have less eternal appeal? (i.e. the BfZ lands) Or is eventual scarcity such an overriding concern here that long term playability doesn't really matter?

Do not underestimate Commander players. I have seen guys drop $10 on an otherwise useless Foil because it makes their Commander Deck work.

i still need enemy tangolands. wizards pls

I'm kinda happy that Battlelands is now a nonsense name for these land types when we see the other half of the cycle. Never liked that name. It's like someone with no sense of humor who tells a joke they made up, just entirely uninspired and undescriptive.

ElyrionX

You can say the same for basically any top tier Modern deck.

traveler

Not Wario
8 copies of Collected Company, Jace, and Reflector Mage in the top two of the SCG open this week. Guess I should take the offer I have to get some CCs on the cheap, as the card is both a standard powerhouse and will continue to see modern play after it leaves circulation.

Angry Grimace

First version was okay, but it was pretty soft to Abzan strategies. Kalitas mainboard is a bit questionable, but I really wanted more 4 drops.

The Blight Herders are also kinda questionable, but I don't really know what else to slot in. Hangarback didn't really work well. But I kinda like the Hedron guys.

Deck: "Mono" Black Eldrazi - Take 2
b.gif

//Lands
2 Blighted Fen
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Mirrorpool
2 Ruins of Oran-Rief
3 Sea Gate Wreckage
7 Swamp

//Spells
2 Complete Disregard
3 Grasp of Darkness
1 Spatial Contortion
3 Transgress the Mind

//Creatures
3 Bearer of Silence
2 Blight Herder
4 Hedron Crawler
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Wasteland Strangler

//Sideboard
2 Flaying Tendrils
3 Duress
2 Languish
2 Infinite Obliteration
3 Self-Inflicted Wound
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Bearer of Silence
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited

Display deck statistics

OnPoint

I'm kinda happy that Battlelands is now a nonsense name for these land types when we see the other half of the cycle. Never liked that name. It's like someone with no sense of humor who tells a joke they made up, just entirely uninspired and undescriptive.

Haven't really been paying attention to this lately. Did one or the other finally "win"?

I think I win worst OG fatpack award. Pictures coming tomorrow.

4x Wooded Foothill
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Arid Mesa

Basically as long as you have 12 fetches that can get a mountain, you're good. So Scalding Tarns are fine too, but I'm not using them for obvious (read: monetary) reasons. The shocklands are 3x each of Sacred Foundry and Stomping Ground.

I'm still learning the deck myself, but I guess the major thing you have to work out is what hands are unkeepable. If you can't get close to killing your opponent with the cards in your opening hand, then you probably won't win. Drawing two lands in a row can be devastating. There were several games were I needed to top-deck a burn spell to win and hit a land (and one where I needed to top-deck a burn to win and did).

Cheers! I've actually got most of the cheap spells from RDW, which I'm hoping to morph into a burn deck over time. Well, a long time given the cost of fetches and goblin guides!

You can say the same for basically any top tier Modern deck.

Well of course, but I think because it utilises a lot of cards used by modern RDW, it's therefore seen by new players as a deck with no intricate features or flair to make note of. Whereas in fact compared to RDW (which I've always seen as a modern intro deck), it does take more knowledge of the format, what opening hand to look for, etc in order to pilot successfully?

bigkrev

The "trick" to Burn is that you aren't an aggro deck- your are a combo deck. You need to resolve any 7 spells in your deck in order to win.

bigkrev

This GP really should kill off the 6-3 rule.

As a viewer, I think it's great! I like throwing on a Magic twitch stream to fall asleep to- I'm a big fan of Marshall Sutcliffe, who usually starts his stream at around 2AM EST. Late Night Magic is great.

If I was paying 75$ to play in the event though.... fuck.

How about it just auto drops you after your 5th loss?

Angry Grimace

Man, leagues are great for tuning decks up, I've been tinkering with this deck all day, mercifully for free since I just go 3-2 every single time
KuGsj.gif

As a viewer, I think it's great! I like throwing on a Magic twitch stream to fall asleep to- I'm a big fan of Marshall Sutcliffe, who usually starts his stream at around 2AM EST. Late Night Magic is great.

If I was paying 75$ to play in the event though.... fuck.

How about it just auto drops you after your 5th loss?

The GP was $60 CAD, so it's not that bad.

But yeah, being there yesterday was nuts. Rounds were finishing 30 minutes late, sealed Reg took 2 hours, etc. Gamekeeper got a little too ambitious if you ask me.

Haines

Banned
Well that on stream draft was a train wreck, i think he was trying to go for a really high cieling/concept but when it didnt make it he just ended up in a burning mess of poop.

Support is really good though, just played against someone who played 3 expedition raptors. I bounced and removed and tapped down as much as I could but all for nothing.

2nd game he finished me off with Kalastria healer when I just turned the corner from a mulligan to 5

I'm rocking Abzan Allies for now [MTGO]. So far it's fun, if still amateur.

Expedition Envoy x4
Kalastria Healer x4
Beastcaller Savant x3
Sylvan Advocate x3
Drana, Liberator of Malakir x1
Drana's Emissary x4
Cliffhaven Vampire x2
Siege Rhino x4

Abzan Charm x3
Dromoka's Command x1
Ruinous Path x1
Silkwrap x1
Stasis Snare x2
End Hostilities x1
Become Immense x1

Ally Encampment x3
Sandsteppe Citadel x3
Cave of Koilos x3
Shambling Mound x2
Llanowar Wastes x4
Forest x4
Plains x3
Swamp x3

Pretty fun budget deck. Probably gonna bump up to a second Drana, swap out End Hostilities, and see about a fourth Advocate.

Angry Grimace

It's mostly that there's no agreement on a legit list. If it even sniffs being a competitive deck I don't know how WOTC feels about a deck that's running 8 Ancient Tombs in modern.

Yeef

Dezani had the opportunity to win, but waited a turn too long to fire off the press into service. I was surprised he didn't windmill slam it as soon as he drew it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's mostly that there's no agreement on a legit list. If it even sniffs being a competitive deck I don't know how WOTC feels about a deck that's running 8 Ancient Tombs in modern.

GB put it well. It's basically Tron without Tron. I like it because it's different. I selfishly hope it blows up because I own all the pieces, but if it doesn't, I won't be particularly surprised. Being able to do degenerate shit like cast an All is Dust on turn 4 on the regular is just so sweet.

In the version I'm working on, I'm trying out swapping Sowers for Reality Smasher. It's a bit more aggressive, but I like it.

Yeef

invoker can shoot itself in response. Would still have done it to get rid of it though.
Yeah, it kills itself and the board is empty; Dezani had a Relief captain in hand (with enough mana to play it the same turn) plus enough of a life buffer that he was favored in terms of rebuilding his board and getting in the last 3 damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom