• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
GB put it well. It's basically Tron without Tron. I like it because it's different. I selfishly hope it blows up because I own all the pieces, but if it doesn't, I won't be particularly surprised. Being able to do degenerate shit like cast an All is Dust on turn 4 on the regular is just so sweet.

In the version I'm working on, I'm trying out swapping Sowers for Reality Smasher. It's a bit more aggressive, but I like it.

I don't actually care for the Oblivion Sower version. I played a guy just playing Thought-Knots and Reality Smashers and it was goddamn hard to beat. I won a single game, by casting Bust as Armageddon.

Yeah, it kills itself and the board is empty; Dezani had a Relief captain in hand (with enough mana to play it the same turn) plus enough of a life buffer that he was favored in terms of rebuilding his board and getting in the last 3 damage.

Yeah still don't get why he went after Jori En instead. Sure it can draw his opponent into cards that can kill him but there's literally a card on the board that's killing him and that he can get rid of.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
you're telling me that tournament was still being played what in the actual fuck

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't actually care for the Oblivion Sower version. I played a guy just playing Thought-Knots and Reality Smashers and it was goddamn hard to beat. I won a single game, by casting Bust as Armageddon.

I definitely noticed that I was never particularly excited to cast a Sower. Sure, it feeds their exile pile, and yeah, it does rob them of top decks, but the thing it's supposed to do is actually a benefit to the opponent. I found that by time it was Sower time, my opponent either had enough lands in play/in hand, or that they were screwed and going to lose anyway. So you'd mill-ile (?) a couple of lands that they didn't want to top deck.

In some cases, that did help to cast an Ulamog, which is more or less game, but the chance for it to help them is pretty high. Reality Smasher doesn't have that issue.

Also, 4 Claws and 4 Relics seems to be too much. Thinking of going 4 Relics and 2 Claws.

Angry Grimace

I don't have a solution but I think the entire Relic package is just a bit janky.

Yeef

Yeah still don't get why he went after Jori En instead. Sure it can draw his opponent into cards that can kill him but there's literally a card on the board that's killing him and that he can get rid of.
Once the Jori was there it didn't matter; even if he targeted the Invoker, it'd just be chump blocked with Jori. He needed to play it the turn he drew it, when the Invoker was the only creature on the board.

Angry Grimace

To continue my endless quest to annoy everyone with my brew lists.

We're still on the Hedron Crawler plan (I don't love it, but I killed a guy with a Hedron Crawler with a counter on it from Ruins of Oran-Rief so there's that). My previous lists had Eldrazi Mimic, which I did not like at all. The best it does is a bad Tarmogoyf impression where it's a 4/4 or a 5/5 in rare situations. An 0/1 that gives me a Wingding is pretty much better in every real way. Went to 4 Reality Smashers and put in 1-ofs of Ob Nix and Drana. Not sure what to do about that. I like that Drana is a three drop that just wins the game if she doesn't get answered, but its a slow topdeck, which means its a pretty bad choice for a 1-of. I just haven't been all that impressed by Matter Reshaper I guess - Drana doesn't synergize particularly well with the deck but a card that wins the game by itself at 3 mana seems good.

I have a pretty good record with it so far, but its hard to say how that would translate to the 'real world' because there are so many players online who constantly misplay against Blighted Fen and Mirrorpool and occasionally to Kalitas third ability, which everyone forgets exists.

Deck: "Mono" Black Eldrazi - Take 2
b.gif

//Lands
2 Blighted Fen
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Mirrorpool
2 Ruins of Oran-Rief
3 Sea Gate Wreckage
7 Swamp

//Spells
2 Complete Disregard
3 Grasp of Darkness
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 Spatial Contortion
3 Transgress the Mind

//Creatures
3 Bearer of Silence
1 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
4 Hedron Crawler
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Wasteland Strangler

//Sideboard
2 Flaying Tendrils
4 Duress
2 Languish
2 Infinite Obliteration
3 Self-Inflicted Wound
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Bearer of Silence

Display deck statistics

More MTGO woes.

Had an oblivion strike and a mirror pool, play oblivion strike, it resolves w/o going on the stack. Ended up not removing the creature I really wanted to because I targeted the other first.

2nd game I got flooded and never drew any removal or any of my outs.

Don't know if I should ask for a refund again but that probably means I'm making a loss on this draft

Angry Grimace

More MTGO woes.

Had an oblivion strike and a mirror pool, play oblivion strike, it resolves w/o going on the stack. Ended up not removing the creature I really wanted to because I targeted the other first.

2nd game I got flooded and never drew any removal or any of my outs.

Don't know if I should ask for a refund again but that probably means I'm making a loss on this draft

In both paper and real life if you don't explicitly state you are holding priority (in MTGO this is done by holding CTRL during a spell-cast), it is assumed you are passing priority. If the other player has set it to pass-automatically it won't even appear to go on the stack.

Hold CTRL when you cast the spell to retain priority to use Mirrorpool's ability

Ok thanks, hard to do on a touchscreen

You'd think a hand with 4 expedition raptors couldn't lose (not at the start), not when you're stuck on 4 lands while your opponent curves out.

Edit: Oh man that last round I'm so on tilt, play against Naya allies and the opponent just had all the answers to my stuff while drawing gas. I have the 2/4 flier he deals 5 damage to a flier, he attacks with a flier I dazzling reflection it to give my 4/5 vamp flying and block, he plummets it. I line up a for my opponent already favourable trait he dazzling reflections my creature. When I asled him to stop drawing so good he apologized and played the double strike ally.

The game was already over before that but man it was a real beating.

how could I lose with this hand said:

Now down 7 tickets, gonna take a break for a while and enjoy some paper magic again.

Did a draft this week end with 3 friends, went RB eldrazi kinda agro ?
Stomped one game, then lost two games, once with only 3 mana for like 9 turns, the second time I drew only mana for like 5 turns straight
I feel like blue is always good to pick, so many good cards
Black comes second, a lot of good removal and annoying creatures

I'm not a huge expedition raptor fan. I always play it in GW but I tend to cut it pretty early in BW. Not even close in RW and UW means something went wrong anyway.

Lucario

Eldrazi Tier 2 confirmed: http://sales.starcitygames.com//dec...event_ID=36&city=columbus&state=OH&country=US

At least, so far. I still believe there is a deck somewhere in there, but it's not quite ready for the big time.

I agree that the current lists are pretty firmly tier 2.

The W/B version has a lot more mana trouble with the colorless eldrazi than I thought it would, making mono-black seem like the best option. Issue is, Mono-Black's matchup against the format's various aggro decks is abysmal, and all of the incidental tron hate they're running is making things even worse. I mean, fuck, I ran into a fish list running maindeck Sea's Claim on MTGO the other day.

In a format where the three biggest decks are Burn, Affinity, and Tron, it just seems wrong to play a deck with poor matchups against all three. There are builds of W/B I've tested that are more than 50% against Burn, but Tron gets closer and closer to 0% the more interaction you add.

edit: didn't notice how large the event was, damn!

Haines

Banned
Dezani had the opportunity to win, but waited a turn too long to fire off the press into service. I was surprised he didn't windmill slam it as soon as he drew it.

Yeah i couldnt believe he didnt kill it. It was very clear invoker was going to win him the game unless he dealt with it, and the board state was going to force it to commit suicide.

He played too risky when it was down to the wire and got punished, so i cant feel bad about him getting second,

Haines

Banned
Did a draft this week end with 3 friends, went RB eldrazi kinda agro ?
Stomped one game, then lost two games, once with only 3 mana for like 9 turns, the second time I drew only mana for like 5 turns straight
I feel like blue is always good to pick, so many good cards
Black comes second, a lot of good removal and annoying creatures

Blue feels wierd. Good cards but what deck do they fit into and what does that deck do to win

I still see white blue fliers as being good but theres a few good ways to shut down air in oath

blackflag

After playing against and with rally the last few days. I've come to the conclusion that Reflector Mage makes the deck really oppressive and pretty much broken.

Santiako

After playing against and with rally the last few days. I've come to the conclusion that Reflector Mage makes the deck really oppressive and pretty much broken.

Yeah, Reflector Mage pretty much breaks Rally and CoCo. Rally's only weaknesses are Anafenza and Kalitas, and both are extremely weak to Reflector.

ultron87

Played some Pauper for the first time last night. Running a Kuldotha Jeskai list, which is based on playing a bunch of do-nothing Artifacts that cantrip (Ichor Wellspring and Prophetic Prism), and bouncing them with Kor Skyfishers and Glint Hawks or sacing them with Kuldotha Rebirth. With the added Mulldrifters you basically always have a full grip of cards. It is wonderful and durdly. Eventually you peck them down enough with the flyers that you can burn them out with the deck's 4 Bolts, 4 Galvanic Blasts, and 2 Firebolts.

My list was pretty close to this one: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/367865#paper

It was quite interesting to play a format where "play a 2 mana draw a card artifact, bounce it with a 1-mana card, play it again" is a reasonable form of card advantage.

If I wanted to spend more on two cards than the entirety of the remainder of the deck I'd get some Chain Lightnings, but that'd be pretty stupid.

y2dvd

Rally have had a bounty on its head and it still won. I kinda like Cranial Archive in the sb for GR ramp deck, especially if you're not splashing white for Hallowed Moonlight. You usually have the mana to both cast and activate in the same turn if necessary. Definitely gonna dedicate more hate cards in the sb for rally.

Haines

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";193924178]I like blue green. Gravity Negator is really good with Tajuru Pathwarden.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind trying blue green. Maybe I'll look at the cards once I'm done fixing some plumbing and see if there any good synergies I like

Okay my 4 colour something deck lost round 2, 1-2 to a myriad of combat tricks, my opponent at one point played 2 or 3 unnatural endurance a grip of darkness and something else. Considering I went up with a mostly auto drafted 4 colour deck against a streamlined 2 Colour colourless deck I'm almost impressed. If my deck would have gone 3-0 I'd have a good case at least that draft can be just completely random.

Also not once was I colour screwed. Still wondering if I should ask for a refund. There was an expedition in the pool and I don't even know if I opened it.

Haines

Banned
My buddy that opened an deposition at prerelease bought a orchards off another guy that same day

And than opened one in his box

Lol.

He wants to go to the 11 man pool draft place. I'm deciding whether I want to put any more time into nonsense drafts

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So played 2 headed giant yesterday with a buddy and we went 3-1. We got 8 packs to split. He handed them to me and i shuffled them up, then threw them in the air. The ones that landed closest to me were mine and vice versa.

I pulled a Nissa, a Chandra, a Kozilek, and a thought knot seer. He got 3 oaths.

FeD.nL

So played 2 headed giant yesterday with a buddy and we went 3-1. We got 8 packs to split. He handed them to me and i shuffled them up, then threw them in the air. The ones that landed closest to me were mine and vice versa.

I pulled a Nissa, a Chandra, a Kozilek, and a thought knot seer. He got 3 oaths.

Holy shit. Gravity doesn't like him.

noquarter

Was at least one of the Oaths an Oath of Nissa? Otherwise that is just really really sad.

Thinking about really getting into Modern. Not a huge fan of the format, but really hard to find Legacy a lot of the time. Really close to quite a few decks, mainly anything but an optimized R/G Tron list. It has been awhile since played a lot of constructed and last time it was mainly standard. Any ideas on what would be a good entry deck? Like combo and have infect, just really doesn't feel that interesting. Thought about going Junk/Abzan as I think it looks fun, especially going a Loam/Pox way, but seems really complex if new to the format.

Hopefully I'll be able to find the time to play as much as I'm hoping.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";193924178]I like blue green. Gravity Negator is really good with Tajuru Pathwarden.[/QUOTE]

The only reason I ever win OOB draft with green is that I get a billion Pathwardens and there's a surprising level of synergy with blue in the Oath packs since there's a ton of fliers and tempo-based removal like Sweep Away in those colors. I played a durdly Sultai thing with no actual bomb cards to a respectable 2-1 just because I had a ton of Pathwardens and just splashed the other colors for Oblivion Strikes, Sweep Aways and I got all the Wave-Wings and Sphinx guys that fly.

Yeef

My buddy that opened an deposition at prerelease bought a orchards off another guy that same day
I'm sure you meant expedition, but this is an amusing mental image.

"I got a Kozilek's Return! What'd you get?"

"...Sorin's Deposition...?"

"Wait, what?"

"It looks like it's notarized by Ugin."

I don't know if it's been discussed here yet, but there's an interesting rumor floating around MTGS that WotC will be applying the "Expedition" strategy to a larger spread of cards in our return to Innistrad:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/.../baseless-speculation/665867-innistrad-echoes

I created a new account to post this, believe it or not, but I have it from a very good source.

WOTC is planning Innistrad Echoes (that was the tentative name according to my source) for the SOI release (no word if it will also be included in the second set of the block). Similar to Zendikar Expeditions, except Innistrad Echoes will include a smaller card pool but will highlight some of the most powerful cards in the original Innistrad block. Including Liliana of the Veil, Gesit of Saint Traft, Avacyn and of course Snapcaster. This should be officially announced at PT OGW.

Angry Grimace

There aren't enough cards in Innistrad block for that to be a thing and at least some of them being random flip cards like Delver of Secrets or Huntmaster of the Fells would make that seemingly prohibitive.

I actually really like the foil treatment they use on Expeditions though.

ultron87

If this became a thing they do every set I'd just get worried that they'd think that this was a good replacement for a proper reprint strategy.

ultron87

That said, I'd probably pay someone a lot to get an alt-art super fancy promo Restoration Angel. Because that's the best Magic card. (And yeah, I have the launch promo one already.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom