• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194072282]Help me with this deck:

Creatures
4 monastery swiftspear
3 Zurgo Helmsmasher
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Reckless Bushwacker
4 Monastery Mentor

Spells
4 Silkwrap
4 Wild Slash
4 Titan's Strength
4 Expedite

Lands
1 Sea Gate Wreckage
4 Needle Spires
4 Crumbling Vestige
4 Battlefield Forge
3 Plains
9 Mountain

Sideboard
4 Hallowed Moonlight
4 Arashin Cleric
3 Roast
4 Thought-Knot Seer[/QUOTE]You're running 9 sources of Colorless. I don't see why you would run Zurgo over Reality Smasher. Edit: I think you probably meant Zurgo Bellstriker.

I don't really understand some of the choices, like - you have a few choices I don't understand, like 4 Monastery Mentors in an aggro deck.

All my descendants' path came in!

I have my copies too, but I'm wondering if this might have been a bust :/ I haven't heard any chatter about it, and Eldrazi hype seems to be leveling off.

Unless Path suddenly makes Eldrazi more viable, I don't see it going anywhere.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have my copies too, but I'm wondering if this might have been a bust :/ I haven't heard any chatter about it, and Eldrazi hype seems to be leveling off.

Unless Path suddenly makes Eldrazi more viable, I don't see it going anywhere.

I played a version of the deck that was basically just my regular Standard Eldrazi deck but with Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple and it was fucking brutal. I think that version is going to be way better than the durdly Relic of Progenitus stuff.

Ashodin

Hallowed Moonlight is a must in the 15 because of Rally taking over now.

I'm working on a Boros Equip deck with Weapons Trainer/SHO and various other stuff.

Sick combos include:

Bone Saw enabling surge from Bushwacker into a crazy turn 2 Monastery Swiftspear + Bushwacker 5 damage slam.

2 Ally Encampment
4 Battlefield Forge
7 Mountain
4 Needle Spires
6 Plains
4 Bone Saw
2 Captain's Claws
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Magmatic Insight
3 Monastery Swiftspear
3 Oath of Gideon
2 Reckless Bushwhacker
2 Relic Seeker
2 Ride Down
4 Stone Haven Outfitter
2 Stoneforge Masterwork
4 Weapons Trainer
4 Wild Slash

Sideboard:

3 Hallowed Moonlight
2 Relic Seeker
2 Ride Down
2 Secure the Wastes

Still working on the SB, but here's the basis of the deck.

If you don't have one, make sure you grab a set of Spreading Seas.

Already got a double playset, nice

red13th

I didn't expect that of all the OGW cards I preordered, Kalitas would be the one that would rise, bought for $9 and he seems to be $15 right now.

Ashodin

I didn't expect that of all the OGW cards I preordered, Kalitas would be the one that would rise, bought for $9 and he seems to be $15 right now.

dude is a house. 3/4 lifelink on a 4 mana body is pretty good, plus he comes with exile and make tokens. then to top it off, he can eat your zombies to avoid huge burn.

red13th

dude is a house. 3/4 lifelink on a 4 mana body is pretty good, plus he comes with exile and make tokens. then to top it off, he can eat your zombies to avoid huge burn.

I love him too, I even added Curse of Shallow Graves to the cube so he has more zombies to eat (also because black is kind of crummy in general tbh). He loves eating Gravecrawler and Bloodghast too!

Angry Grimace

lol @ avoiding copyright with "Ms. Lage"

wfHr6RD.jpg

Wulfric

Can be done at instant speed and is uncounterable by normal counter magic.

The main utilities beyond the obvious mana savings are that creatures you play with it:

A) Can't be countered
B) Come into play at Instant speed (helpful with stuff like Flickerwisp)
C) Can be played ignoring taxing effects or additional costs (see Silvergill Adept)

Alright, I had the right idea. Just trying to make sure I have the main advantages down. So would this work in the case of D&T?

* Lightning Bolt targeting Thalia
* Tap Aether Vial
* Put Flickerwisp on field, bouncing Thalia
* Lightning Bolt fizzles

Also, does anyone know where this art is from? Tineye isn't helping.

dGtvqTu.png

Santiako

Alright, I had the right idea. Just trying to make sure I have the main advantages down. So would this work in the case of D&T?

* Tap Aether Vial
* Lightning Bolt fizzles

Also, does anyone know where this art is from? Tineye isn't helping.

dGtvqTu.png

Fanart by a guy named Godfrey Escota

Edit: Stop using Tinyeye and start using Google Image Search, it took like 2 seconds :p

ultron87

* Tap Aether Vial
* Lightning Bolt fizzles

Yep that totally works!

Crocodile

Back in the community ghetto we are it seems :p

I'm not sure having a downside card like that at common is a good idea. It happens infrequently, but just making it a spirit power booster seems like it could be fine at common.

It doesn't give your Spirits defender, it pumps the ones you have that already have defender. So its not a downside card. It is super narrow and seems like a card that just stalls games unless there is some kind of "Defender deck" in this format and cards are able to leverage their power to end the game even if they can't attack

Not quite sure what got into me there but people just kept passing me lands that produce different mana and green cards searching for lands

Of course my first opponent would BR hyperaggressive and I'd be stuck on 2 lands with a fetch spell in hand for 3, the match took a complete 5 minutes. First game I was actually about to stabilize when he played a haste creature to kill me. So far I only got mana not colorscrewed. Even had a play turn 2 and 3 each.

Haines

Banned
Not quite sure what got into me there but people just kept passing me lands that produce different mana and green cards searching for lands

Of course my first opponent would BR hyperaggressive, the match took a complete 5 minutes

Maybe if you took creatures instead of those lands, youd have a deck lol.

Good luck is all i will say.

Yeef

LOL
Casts a 3 man spell that sees play (Hoarding Outburst), and then 3 copies of a 2 Mana spell that sees play (anticipate) every turn

Not remotely printable
It's actually even better than that. You get 3 Anticipates from the tokens, plus more if you play any creatures in addition. Hell, if you have more than one of these out you basically get to stack your deck with all the card selection you get.

Also, I just realized it says when a creature enters the battlefield. It doesn't even have to be one you control!

Maybe if you took creatures instead of those lands, youd have a deck lol.

Good luck is all i will say.

I'm playing 13 creatures, 2 of which making 2 tokens and a creature regrowing 2 creatures. Oath of Nissa can also get me a creature. It wasn't the lack of creatures that killed me but that my opponent played a 2/1 onedrop and shot my 2 drop both games, proceeds to play 2 4/2 first strike game 1 and just when I got my 5/5 down and was about to bounce 2 of his creatures next turn he played a haster, game 2 he subsequently played a 3/2 haste and 5/3 haste while I was still stuck on 2 lands.

It was the wort matchup imaginable for my crazy deck that worked much better than I anticipated.

MbVk4cq.jpg

Seems playable.

Seems hyperbusted, but I do want a return to Alara to have Ascendancies. They are one of my favorite card cycles from Khans, as all of them have fun uses IMO. Maybe Bant Ascendancy(if we ever get one) could be Anti-Exalted? The way Alara's lore is now is that Bant/Naya are almost completely gone, Grixis is spreading like the black plague, Esper is busy trying to stay isolated, and Jund is.. I have no idea what Jund is doing.

I just realized that Temur Ascendancy is super jank with Frost Walker.. Do I try and force it in Standard for one last hurrah.

Angry Grimace

LOL
Casts a 3 man spell that sees play (Hoarding Outburst), and then 3 copies of a 2 Mana spell that sees play (anticipate) every turn

Not remotely printable
That fake card is better than Black Lotus

Haines

Banned
I'm playing 13 creatures, 2 of which making 2 tokens and a creature regrowing 2 creatures. Oath of Nissa can also get me a creature. It wasn't the lack of creatures that killed me but that my opponent played a 2/1 onedrop and shot my 2 drop both games, proceeds to play 2 4/2 first strike game 2 and just when I got my 5/5 down and was about to bounce 2 of his creatures next turn he played a haster, game 2 he subsequently played a 3/2 haste and 5/3 haste while I was still stuck on 2 lands.

It was the wort matchup imaginable for my crazy deck that worked much better than I anticipated.

All the power to you and i hope you have fun trying to pilot it. Thats all that matters.

And yes that card should cost like 10 mana

That Bant Ascendancy is laughably munchkin (OP).

That said, I want us to hold off on an Alara visit because I want WotC to take what they've learned from Khans of Tarkir and reapply it. That means we'll need to wait before we can really appreciate it again and before it'll have true impact. I'd love nothing more than the Return to Alara block being about five shard factions banding together to recover the "purity" of their home shard. It'd basically be shard Tarkir, with ascendancies, charms, good cycles and a return of the shardlands (but no fetchlands or expeditions driving the market skyhigh).

What do people find is the best way to sort cards as they rotate out of standard? I currently have just a Modern box with cards from all sorts of sets mixed together as I only have a few cards from each set. But I have a lot of KTK and Fate, so should I mix them into the Modern box or start having a separate box for each set?

Angry Grimace

lol some guy on MTGO just sent me a bunch of salty tells for boarding in the wrong card against his mono white deck

same player lost to an inability to perform basic math on a block

then in the next game committed all of his hand to the board against a mono black deck and promptly got blown the living fuck out by a Languish

lol some guy on MTGO just sent me a bunch of salty tells for boarding in the wrong card against his mono white deck

same player lost to an inability to perform basic math on a block

then in the next game committed all of his hand to the board against a mono black deck and promptly got blown the living fuck out by a Languish
I heard a guy boarded in 4 feed the clan against Esper Dragons at GP Oakland.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194096687]I heard a guy boarded in 4 feed the clan against Esper Dragons at GP Oakland.[/QUOTE]

I boarded in duress against a white deck but I didn't really know what he was playing and I got hit with Valourous Stance game 1. I don't know why he was mad. If I boarded badly that's good for him, I think.

Also, for reasons I don't even know Drana is overperforming in my Eldrazi deck even though she doesn't really have any synergy with anything other than Reality Smasher. And I guess Bearer of Silence...

I never know how to feel when an opponent makes you time out seconds away from ending the game.

Also my deck actually delivered, very resilient just took too long to seal the deal and 1-2 though. No mana issues whatsoever.

Angry Grimace

Tron is a deck that got better with Twin gone and some new cards but the entire meta is openly hostile towards it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom