• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Red Aggro jumps out as the best option, though I think a convincing argument could be made for some Ally/Support deck. You've got 2 big bomb allies in Munda/the Twins, you've got the raptors for a top end, etc. Granted, there's not any of the major payoffs in Allies(I see no Bomb Uncommons in Allies) and the base could be a bit jank, so Black Red is the best choice.

It's usually like 10-15 pages back, depending on how active a week it's been. And if you're already there reading it and are going to take the time time to make a summary post for it (I like your summary better than the actual story, for the record), a copy/paste is convenient for the other members of the thread and it's always appreciated.

A link is always nice. I dread searching that site manually. When I've tried before, I give up and come back to the thread. I'd rather sift a forum than navigate their page.

Anyway, story was probably the worst I've read since I've been following along (around when Lilliana and Jace had their dinner date?). If not the worst, then definitely the least necessary.

I didn't have a problem with the writing in and of itself, but there really should have been something to the story other than, "We should team up!"

Ashodin

jjxbzOn.png

What is Black Desert Online?
Black Desert Online is an MMORPG created by Pearl Abyss, a Korean developer. Pearl Abyss is striving for a revival of the sandbox sub-genre of MMOs, where the “endgame” is all around you. Whatever you choose to do in this world, be it crafting, fighting, or trading, is part of “living” in the world created by the developers. There are no raids or instanced dungeons; everything is end-game. What you do in this world and who you choose to be is entirely up to your imagination. Want to be primarily a fisherman and have a huge fishing boat and make money? You can do that. Want to grow the best crops and best cooking food to sell at the auction house and traders? You can do that. Want to gank players and fight in PVP arenas outside of major cities for glory? You can do that.

But dungeons and raids are how I only know MMORPGs are good!
Stop right there. Black Desert Online is a sandbox MMO, which means the focus of the game is not what traditional theme parks are after. Theme park MMOs are all about the race to the top; get the best gear, fight extremely tight and nuanced fights, and do it again and again until you have the best gear, then do more when developers release more content. Black Desert Online is all about letting YOU craft the experience you want in the world, be it fighting extremely tough enemies including summoned bosses, or setting up your own housing and trading system with NPCs, and much more. Thus, if you come into this came expecting something out of traditional theme park MMOs, you will be disappointed.

Uh, okay, but what makes this game GOOD?
Pearl Abyss have gone on record stating they want to enhance all the areas of the game as needed, including the Life (crafting/fishing/trading) categories, the PVE (adding open-world dungeons!), and the PVP (new cities that cater to negative karma and positive karma players, setting up a bounty hunting system, and more). All facets of what you enjoy about MMORPGs are taken to a new level in this game, with in-depth cooking and crafting, housing system reminiscent of The Sims, and combat similar to that of Devil May Cry.

Plus, it doesn’t hurt that the game’s visuals are gorgeous and on a entirely proprietary engine that the developers themselves came up with.

That’s all well and good, but what about the downsides to the game?
Currently, there’s a bit of contention with the cash shop in terms of pricing on costumes and stats (which are negligible), but those issues are expected to get resolved or at least listened to as time goes on. At launch, the publisher DAUM (supposedly) will be reducing cash shop outfit prices by 10% of what was seen in the last closed beta; further feedback will be taken into account, of course.

Other than that, besides having no raids or dungeons to speak of, the game can be overwhelming for first-time players of sandboxes. The game drops you into all the systems without very much in the way of tutorials, so it’s entirely up to the player to learn as they go, which may not be for everyone. This is essentially dropping players into the mix and saying “OK here’s the tools, now it’s up to you to figure out how to use them.” It’s not for everyone. Expect lots of YouTube videos from content creators to explain every system.

Alright, I’m psyched. I want to live in this world. How much do I pay?
On Black Desert Online’s website, blackdesertonline.com, you can purchase a copy for either $30 or $50. $50 gets you a horse, a pet, and a whistle to call the horse should you leave it behind. Think like Link and Epona.

MAJOR FEATURES OF BLACK DESERT ONLINE

LIFE
(CRAFTING/TRADING/FISHING, ETC)

In Black Desert Online, they’ve elevated what you normally call professions in other MMOs into a real part of the game. Almost everything in the world can be harvested and gathered; in the starting area alone, you can harvest crops, trees, metals, stone, and much more. All you need is some gathering tools, and off you go. Being a sandbox, you don’t know exactly what you’re digging up, and knowledge of the item increases as you gather it. See a bush? It’s just a normal bush upon gathering, but as you gain more knowledge, it becomes a berry bush, then a blueberry bush. This is just an example. In a regular theme park MMO, it would immediately be a blueberry bush, and you’d gain a standard amount from them. In Black Desert, the more you gain knowledge of an item, the more you gather, and more interesting new items you could gather from the same node.

To facilitate this, they’ve added systems to the Map that allow you to see temperature, humidity, as well as fishing and trading routes.

PVE
(QUESTING/KNOWLEDGE/BOSSES)

The PVE of Black Desert Online is primarily based on killing mobs for gaining levels (otherwise known as grinding, however it does NOT take much grinding to hit the soft cap of Level 50, the hard cap is currently 55, and will take a while to reach.) That said, the difference between a Level 50 and Level 55 is not that much different, and is mainly there to give you something to continue working toward while you do other things in the game. Questing also pertains to several different things, including helping NPCs find their lost items or cats, carrying items back to a town that have been left out in the wild, eradicating camps of enemies, and much more. Some include mini-games like jumping on a bellows to heat a pot of water, and so forth. Summonable bosses are in the game that use scrolls to create huge enemies that take effort to beat solo and recommend you get friends to help in the slaughter. Each player in the group can get loot from the boss, and it is recommended to take these on in groups of five.

One of the biggest areas of the game is the mini-game involved with the NPCs, called the Knowledge system. It not only extends to knowing your enemies as well by killing them (you won’t see their HP bar until you get knowledge!), but NPCs require you to chat them up and get on their good side before they unlock useful features such as renting their gear or new quests and other various goodies. It’s probably one of the most robust systems ever added to an MMORPG concerning the usual NPCs you just usually take quests from and not read anything.

PVP
(GUILD NODE SIEGES/CASTLE SIEGE/WORLD PVP)

The PVP of Black Desert Online is an unusual one - instead of your usual themepark MMO trope of world pvp anytime, anywhere (which this is still in this game, but with a caveat), the game emphasizes taking towns, nodes, and using that to their advantage of selling goods and items better than before. Guilds can war over these areas and nodes every so often. In solo PVP, you can go to arenas outside of towns to duel with no respawn removal, or you can gank players after level 50. Doing so however will incur the game’s unique feature: karma. All players have some form of karma, be it positive or negative. Positive karma occurs from killing mobs all the time. Negative karma occurs when you kill a player who hasn’t flagged up for PVP. Doing so will drop your karma into negatives, which have disadvantages upon death: losing your equipment, your gems break, even get teleported randomly when you die to make ganking harder and harder. It’s one of the friendliest PVP systems to PVE players I’ve ever seen in a sandbox MMO. Make no mistake; the majority of PVP is done Guild vs. Guild, and you can declare war on another guild if you so choose.

MANY MORE FEATURES TO COME; PLEASE KEEP CHECKING BACK!

GAF GUILD (NA)
ORWEN - CALPHEON #1
DISCORD LINK

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You don't have a lot of bombs, but I probably would try for G/R splashing black for Complete Disregard, Brood Butcher and Flayer Drone, but I play risky decks a lot.

I didn't have a problem with the writing in and of itself, but there really should have been something to the story other than, "We should team up!"
Exactly. Even just having them reach Tazri proper would be nice. Instead we get them spending 15 minutes talking while the Eldrazi continue to curbstomp Zendikar.

I'm really, really tempted to try and make a snarky summary of this block's plot because there's been the good (Every Legendary character's sidestory, really, and of course Roberto Nixxilis), the bad(Ashaya!! Where are you!!), and the mediocre(" I will battle for Zendikar").

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Exactly. Even just having them reach Tazri proper would be nice. Instead we get them spending 15 minutes talking while the Eldrazi continue to curbstomp Zendikar.

I'm really, really tempted to try and make a snarky summary of this block's plot because there's been the good (Every Legendary character's sidestory, really, and of course Roberto Nixxilis), the bad(Ashaya!! Where are you!!), and the mediocre(" I will battle for Zendikar").

I'm assuming that it was originally longer but WOTC had to edit out the hardcore sex stuff.

Angry Grimace

If you don't read Uncharted Realms it basically reads like this:

The setting sun glinted redly off a shirtless Gideon Jura’s hairless chest. Red, too, was the glow in Chandra Nalaar’s eyes, though it seemed a little brighter than one would expect from a sunset alone, even on Zendikar, the magical plane with a special kind of mana where the newly-formed Gatewatch, a super-cool team of four planeswalkers, had just defeated the unimaginably fearsome Eldrazi.

“Way to go, Gideon,” said the fire mage (Chandra), resting her staff on a blackened tree stump. "Way to go everyone. At last the multiverse is free of the Eldrazi and I can get back to what I do best – makin’ peppy wisecracks and settin’ stuff on fire!”

Jace Beleren smiled enigmatically. “It is so,” intoned his enigmatic voice. “I realised that there was one thing those plane-devouring beings from the blind eternities hadn’t reckoned on, and that was a team made up of a master telepath, a powerful pyromancer, a mighty soldier, and an elf.” The enigmatic mage smiled again, giving his face a somewhat enigmatic air.

“Iffaith,” agreed Gideon, his muscles rippling where his shirt (or jacket etc) would have been if he was wearing one. “The bards of Zendikar will sing of our deeds for many moons. In time, mayhap, it will be we who are mistaken for gods.”

“And goddesses,” he added ruminatively, his granite brow furrowing and his burly chest muscles moving as one would expect. “I do confess, ’tis passing strange that there should have been two women on our team. One is the usual number, in sooth.”

Chandra Nalaar rolled her reddish-glowing eyes. “Zip it, Giddy. Those rules don’t apply here. The only tokens this multiverse needs are 3/1 elementals.”

Nissa coughed slightly. Jace gave her an enigmatic look. Ever restless, Chandra stood and stretched herself, as if to planeswalk away in search of her next adventure and a new permutation of direct damage, looting and casting spells for free. She smiled and turned for a parting remark. “You know what’s funny, though? When I cast that final spell to flambé those Eldrazi guys for good?”

Gideon smiled shirtlessly at the memory. Jace’s enigmatic visage took on an aspect of enigmatic curiosity as Chandra winked a fiery eye at each companion in turn.

“I never had time to learn that spell properly, so I just sharpied FALL OF THE TITANS on a Magmatic Chasm. And those world-eating goombas will never know!”

As she laughed her carefree, convention defying laugh, she didn’t notice that Nissa’s face, always somewhat ghostly, had turned a shade paler. Veins bulged visibly in Gideon’s neck, abdomen and left biceps, while Jace, ever the enigma, merely looked into the enigmatic distance.
Quietly at first, a very low rumble began. A rumble that seemed to stir the bowels of the very plane of Zendikar.

The rumble grew louder.

Nissa turned colorless.

The Gatewatch’s second challenge was approaching sooner than anyone had expected. And this time, even the combined awesome powers of the four happening and diverse mages would not be enough. They needed to recruit… a sexy necromancer.

Haines

Banned
The news prompted me to boot up Hearthstone again to give it another shot

Nope, still don't like Hearthstone

I can see liking magic more or whatever but i cant possibly imagine loving card games yet not liking hearthstone. And considering its free.

Watched that caleb guys draft on cf. suprise, more allies. Didnt like a lot of picks but to be fiar he did say he was still very new to format.

Also second time i seen someone pass angel of renewel pick one pack 3 when in white, and i still dont understand it. I guess they dont like 4/4 fliers.

I can see liking magic more or whatever but i cant possibly imagine loving card games yet not liking hearthstone. And considering its free.

Watched that caleb guys draft on cf. suprise, more allies. Didnt like a lot of picks but to be fiar he did say he was still very new to format.

Also second time i seen someone pass angel of renewel pick one pack 3 when in white, and i still dont understand it. I guess they dont like 4/4 fliers.

I'm playing it but the RNG is killing me.

Magic has the randomness in draws but not in tokens, amount of damage, targets in the first place... Like in Hearthstone I'm mostly working towards reducing the randomness, killing my opponents is just a byproduct.

Haines

Banned
I'm playing it but the RNG is killing me.

Magic has the randomness in draws but not in tokens, amount of damage, targets in the first place... Like in Hearthstone I'm mostly working towards reducing the randomness, killing my opponents is just a byproduct.

Rng is a very real complaint in hearthstone. It has a few positives like making games a lil more unique or potentially exciting but it can also have some very real downsides.

The devs realized this and the last expansion tackled rng in a very good way with the discover mechanic. With the oldest two sets getting the axe in standard it will eliminate a lot of the strong and maybe even broken rng cards.

Hopefully the game continues to go the way of good rng and leaves the bad behind.

The randomness in mana screw potentially annoys me even more than some of hearthstones token rng because its something I have zero control over.

Haines

Banned
It's like Magic if it were unstrategic and awkwardly balanced, but fast.

The balance issues are real. All they needed to do was admit to it and start tweaking, which they have announced yesterday.

I can't really comment on unstrategic BC I'm not sure what you mean. If you are referencing magic having the option of doing things on your opponents turn than I agree.

And yeah. Hearstone is fast in ramping up BC of the auto mana but games can still go to fatigue if you play those style of decks.

Again. I'm not saying magic isn't the better game. I never said that.

Maybe it's just me but I almost feel like I would like the bfz pack first in this format. In my experience and watching some drafts online once that third pack is hit the deck is kind of already done and your doing the old set and I feel my interest level drop significantly. But maybe there are really strong opinions ad to why this way is better.

red13th

I really wanted to like Hearthstone but it was so mind numbingly boring (and swingy, god so swingy). Maybe it got better with the expansions but I really don't feel like playing it ever again.

Wulfric

The only reason I play Hearthstone is because it's free and the client is pretty. Magic Duels can learn a thing or two from it's UI; it's awfully dull in comparison. And no synchronized collection between desktop and mobile is laughable. The one/two copy limit for mythics and rares is bizarre. It almost feels like Magic Lite™

I will legitimately pay $60 for a Yu-Gi-Oh! Tag Force-esque game where you can get all the cards though in-game boosters. Bonus points if they include a story mode.

Haines

Banned
The only reason I play Hearthstone is because it's free and the client is pretty. Magic Duels can learn a thing or two from it's UI; it's awfully dull in comparison. And no synchronized collection between desktop and mobile is laughable. The one/two copy limit for mythics and rares is bizarre. It almost feels like Magic Lite™

I will legitimately pay $60 for a Yu-Gi-Oh! Tag Force-esque game where you can get all the cards though in-game boosters. Bonus points if they include a story mode.

Yeah, duels cant hold my intererest at all. The problem with duels is it isnt allowed to be good because it would cut onlines income.

Hearthstone being free and pretty, is definaly helping its popularity. I hope the pressure puts wizards in a place that they make online better. Im literally afraid to draft on that thing, because its controls and mechanics are obnoxious and almost hidden at times.

Learned the difference between online and paper magic today. Much easier to accidently put +3/+1 and trample on the opponent's creature in a moment of lapsing concentration. Did not pan out well

Also MTGO crashed and also took my PC with it. Had to restart since the GUI got fucked up.

Yeah, I kinda want to reinstall MTGO after not using it for like a year to try and qualify for the Pro Tour since the online PPTQs are up, but I fucking hate MTGO.

If there were any sealed PPTQs locally I wouldn't even consider it but it's all Standard.

Yeef

My problem with Hearthstone is that I was playing magic for more than a decade by the time it came out. When I tried it, it just felt like a simplified version of Magic, like a lot of CCG's do. I feel like, if you're going to go the CCG/LCG route, you might as well do something unique mechanically, like Android Netrunner. Otherwise, what reason do i have to play your game instead of Magic?

Haines

Banned
My problem with Hearthstone is that I was playing magic for more than a decade by the time it came out. When I tried it, it just felt like a simplified version of Magic, like a lot of CCG's do. I feel like, if you're going to go the CCG/LCG route, you might as well do something unique mechanically, like Android Netrunner. Otherwise, what reason do i have to play your game instead of Magic?

I would imagine the answer would be free. But if you already have money invested in magic, you would want to get use out of that money spent instead of playing something else.

Me and my buddy do magic for limited, and hearthstone for standard.

You guys excited for the PT is weekend?

Lucario

I honestly loved Hearthstone when I first played it in Beta; everyone was playing with incomplete collections, and it felt like playing Magic with terrible casual decks again. The game itself being simplified Kaijudo didn't really matter; everyone online desperately grinding for legendaries was great.

Once everyone was up to speed, it got a lot worse. I know they wanted to make up for the decreased variance from streamlining the mana system, but pushing cards that rely on RNG was not the way to do it.

It's a great game, but when RNG is pushed to the point that the best card in the format deals random amounts of damage to random enemies, there's no way I'm touching it competitively.

I can't really comment on unstrategic BC I'm not sure what you mean.

It basically kind of comes down to this:

I really wanted to like Hearthstone but it was so mind numbingly boring (and swingy, god so swingy).

You just make a lot fewer interesting decisions over the course of a HS match compared to MTG, and you always have a pretty sizable chance of just randomly getting blown the fuck out. It can be fun but it's not really competitive in the same way Magic is.

The only reason I play Hearthstone is because it's free and the client is pretty. Magic Duels can learn a thing or two from it's UI; it's awfully dull in comparison. And no synchronized collection between desktop and mobile is laughable. The one/two copy limit for mythics and rares is bizarre.

Okay, it is a little weird to call out Duels for the rarity-based card limits when that's exactly what Hearthstone does. :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I honestly loved Hearthstone when I first played it in Beta; everyone was playing with incomplete collections, and it felt like playing Magic with terrible casual decks again. The game itself being simplified Kaijudo didn't really matter; everyone online desperately grinding for legendaries was great.

Once everyone was up to speed, it got a lot worse. I know they wanted to make up for the decreased variance from streamlining the mana system, but pushing cards that rely on RNG was not the way to do it.

It's a great game, but when RNG is pushed to the point that the best card in the format deals random amounts of damage to random enemies, there's no way I'm touching it competitively.

RNG doesn't bother me that much in something I play casually, but the lack of instant speed and the bluffing game that comes with it is just a hurdle I can't get over

Wulfric

Okay, it is a little weird to call out Duels for the rarity-based card limits when that's exactly what Hearthstone does. :p

Lol, Hearthstone has a rarity limit? That just goes to show how casually I play. I never get past rank 20 in any given month.

To be fair, the Duels restriction is a little awkward when it's physical counterpart has no such rule. If anything, it gives newbies an unpleasant surprise when they design a deck and show up to FNM with a deck full of singleton cards.

Oh, did I forget to mention Hearthstone "secrets"? It's no secret when I know the secret will probably go off the next time I swing. Perhaps it would be better if you could cast them from your hand during your opponents turn.

Ashodin

Holy shit he actually wins games too, looks fun as hell (and would make your opponent mad as fuck)

Pulling exodia shit on your opponent is always one-sided fun

Unfuckin believable.

Lose game one against G/B Aristocrats. I board in x3 Infinite Obliteration. I draw two on opening hand. He's got 2 taplands and nothing, I Obliterate Zulaport Cutthroat and Nantuko Husk in succession.

Fucker still wins off a run of two Catacomb Sifters and an awakened Ruinous Path. Meanwhiile I'm on a run of lands. Smh.

So I went and built a colorless ramp EDH deck with Kozilek the Great Distortion as my Commander, and I learned one important thing about my deck:

Soul of New Phyrexia with Nevinyrral's Disc is real fuckin' stupid.

Also, Sensei's Top with Kozilek is a lot like playing Miracles.

ironmang

jace still $70 ughhhhhhh

This UR prowess deck is so much fun and I want to play it before cruise rotates but I can't stand picking up a playset of a standard card for almost $300.

ironmang

If it helps he'll be 100 bucks after rotation.

Naw it'll crash hard. It's only so expensive due to being a 4 of in most standard decks. Modern barely wants it and legacy and vintage want it less and don't really matter anyways. Even with price memory I'd guess $30 or less.

Grixis control is really the only popular modern deck that plays jace and that deck got hit about the hardest these last couple months (bannings aside of course) since twin was a great matchup and eldrazi/tron are pretty poor.

Angry Grimace

Playing the silliest enchantment deck I've ever seen. I don't know how to interact with it but just swing a lot. Draw 2 lands, 5 great cards. Fine I'll keep. Turn 7, still on two lands.

ironmang

Jtms went to 55 after bannings. Use him for reference. So probably 35-40.

You think it'll still be everywhere after khans rotates? I'm wondering if it's worth picking up at all instead of just playing atarka red for a couple months then going from there.

Angry Grimace

Yeesh this league is not going well 0-3 so far :(

jesus 0-4 to fucking 4 color rally I just lost like 40 points off my rating =/

Haines

Banned
Lol, Hearthstone has a rarity limit? That just goes to show how casually I play. I never get past rank 20 in any given month.

To be fair, the Duels restriction is a little awkward when it's physical counterpart has no such rule. If anything, it gives newbies an unpleasant surprise when they design a deck and show up to FNM with a deck full of singleton cards.

Oh, did I forget to mention Hearthstone "secrets"? It's no secret when I know the secret will probably go off the next time I swing. Perhaps it would be better if you could cast them from your hand during your opponents turn.

Its legendary cards, are limited to one per deck.

Still deciding whether i want to draft this weekend.

OnPoint

Mini Jace may see something of a dip at rotation but not a huge one, I don't think. It might even stay level or go up.

I wish they'd figure out a way to print it in a supplemental set or deck release.

OnPoint

Also, big ups to Matriox for the whole eBay-cancellation situation. Got me the cards at a discounted rate and had great communication the whole way. That was a real stand-up way to handle that situation.

Jhriad

Mini Jace may see something of a dip at rotation but not a huge one, I don't think. It might even stay level or go up.

I don't see it going up at rotation. When Khans rotates out it gets a lot harder to play more than two colors so he'll see less play, barring some new broken Ux deck. Then when Origins rotates he'll probably dip as well. Unless we see a new, non-Merfolk Blue variant start to really show well in Modern he's not going to see enough play to sustain $70+ and Legacy doesn't really apply enough pressure to the price of non-foils to maintain at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom