• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Here's my take:

pOcKTZM.png
That's completely busted, lol.

Santiako

Something simpler (and printable):
Bant Ascendancy GWU
Enchantment

Exalted
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, draw a card.

noquarter

Is there a specific deck driving this or did people just notice that this is a strong sideboard card against a bunch of popular
Fish is the big deck. Plays four of them MB usually to help ensure Islandwalk is useful. Also helps hose decks that need certain lands (Tron)

Another one that is played for the same reason is Sea's Claim. This could really help keep Spreading Seas from getting to crazy, since it costs one less (doesn't cantrip) and had two printings. They do get played together though in some decks, so won't really keep Spreading Seas down.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If I had to estimate how much money I've lost dropping out of tournaments due conceding any game where I'm stuck on land for more than 3 turns, it's probably in the hundreds. I want to play Magic. If my opponent actually does something to lock me out that's one thing.

pigeon

Banned
If I had to estimate how much money I've lost dropping out of tournaments due conceding any game where I'm stuck on land for more than 3 turns, it's probably in the hundreds. I want to play Magic. If my opponent actually does something to lock me out that's one thing.

Play Charbelcher.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, I know Maro calls it a feature of the game but from a mechanical standpoint its probably the biggest reason new players quit - because 20% of games end up with one player unable to do anything.

I mean "this game is for rich people" is probably higher on the list overall, but that's not really mechanical.

Yeef

Bant Ascendancy GWU
Enchantment
Exalted
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone it gains trample and only one creature may block this combat.

Esper Ascendancy WUB
Enchantment Artifact
Artifact creatures you control have lifelink.
Tap two artifacts you control: Tap target nonland permanent.

Grixis Ascendancy UBR
Enchantment
At the beginning of your draw step, draw an additional card, then discard a card.
Spells you cast from your graveyard cost 2 less to cast.

Jund Ascendancy BRG
Enchantment
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
Whenever you sacrifice a creature, creatures you control get +1/+0 and gain haste until end of turn.

Naya Ascendancy RGW
Enchantment
Each creature you control can’t be blocked by creatures with power less than that creature.
Whenever a creature with power 5 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, you may have it fight target creature you don’t control.

If it's just gonna be Exalted then we already have Bant Ascendancy in Finest Hour and it won't have any of the synergy of that card with exalted stacking twice nor the ascendancies.

Bant Ascendancy

When Bant Ascendancy enters the battlefield add X mana in any combination of W, U and/or G to your mana pool, where X is the number of creatures you control.
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, you may put a copy of that creature into play tapped and attacking.

Yeef

If it's just gonna be Exalted then we already have Bant Ascendancy in Finest Hour and it won't have any of the synergy of that card with exalted stacking twice nor the ascendancies.
Ascendancies all cost 3 (ABC); Finest Hour costs 5. You could probably add a Curiosity effect to the Bant one without it being too powerful.
Bant Ascendancy

When Bant Ascendancy enters the battlefield add X mana in any combination of W, U and/or G to your mana pool, where X is the number of creatures you control.
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, you may put a copy of that creature into play tapped and attacking.
This card dissuades you from playing it on curve, which seems a bit strange. Also, flavor nitpick, the whole point of exalted is that on Bant, rather than having wars, countries will just send one person as a champion to fight in single combat. Having two creatures attacking plays against that flavor.

Try a single elim because queue fills faster, get screwed 3 out of 3 games in round 1. Yay, money well spent.

Sometimes you just gotta hate magic, going from drawing 4 lands total, and somehow the perfect wrong ones, per game to drawing 13 lands the next draft. Oh look stuck on 3 lands...

Angry Grimace

Bant Ascendancy GWU

Exalted, Cascade

(fun fact: this is strictly worse than Ardent Plea)

OGW draft so far has just been a flaming barrel of trash that I keep throwing my money into. I haven't come to any conclusions about the format itself but god damn am I not getting much of a return. Down nearly $100 so far and all I have to show for it is a bunch of junk and 1 Goblin Dark-Dwellers.

OnPoint

I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring on this jibber-jabber.

Bant Ascendancy GWU

Exalted

Whenever a creature you control
attacks alone, put a +1/+1 counter on
each other creature you control.​

The Exalted mechanic is already rewarding you for attacking with just one critter, so why not reward the player further for that?

I want to play.

Jund Ascendancy

Sacrifice a nongoblin creature: Put a red 1/1 goblin creature token onto the battlefield.

Whenever you sacrifice a creature, gain 1 life.

As long as you control a Dragon, creatures you control have flying.

Esper Ascendancy

Artifact Enchantment

Other artifacts you control have persist.

Tap [two or three, can't decide] artifacts you control: Tap target permanent.

Naya Ascendancy

Creatures you control have hexproof.

RGW, Sacrifice Naya Ascendancy: Put a green, white, or red creature card from your hand onto the battlefield. It gains haste until end of turn.

Grixis Ascendancy

Whenever a creature you control and own dies or is exiled, each opponent sacrifices a creature.

UBR: Put target creature card from any graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. It gains haste. If it would leave the battlefield, exile it instead. At end of turn, exile that creature. Activate this ability only at any time you could play a sorcery.

ultron87

Bant Ascendancy GWU
Enchantment

No more than one creature can attack each combat.
No more than one creature can block each combat.

Whenever a blocking creature an opponent controls dies, draw a card.

(Probably too impactful for 3 mana.)

Angry Grimace

Uncharted Realms: Magic Story

Gideon comes out of the cave and flexes his aching muscles. He looks at the devastation the titans have wrought upon Zendikar and the tteam gets all sad and shit. Jace says "well this sucks you guys wanna split?" And then Nissa's like "><" so then Gideon makes a speech about how they need to make the pledges seen on the individual Oath of _____ cards. They do so. Then, feeling empowered by the promises they've made, they decide to have graphic, passionate group sex. Or find out where General Tazri went, one of those.

Angry Grimace

what if you randomly get lantern ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

It's not just the top 8, its selected by R&D. I'm guessing that means Lantern isn't in no matter how well it does unless it actually wins the tournament (in which case they have to put it in)

ultron87

That's a super smart way to bring event coverage and MTGO together. Would be sweet if it was an ongoing format that rotated decks based on the previous weekends GP results or whatever. But if it was always available that'd probably make people less likely to actually buy cards for constructed. Or they'd at least be afraid of that.

OnPoint

Uncharted Realms: Magic Story

Gideon comes out of the cave and flexes his aching muscles. He looks at the devastation the titans have wrought upon Zendikar and the tteam gets all sad and shit. Jace says "well this sucks you guys wanna split?" And then Nissa's like "><" so then Gideon makes a speech about how they need to make the pledges seen on the individual Oath of _____ cards. They do so. Then, feeling empowered by the promises they've made, they decide to have graphic, passionate group sex. Or find out where General Tazri went, one of those.

As per usual in this thread: Here's a link for those interested. http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/oath-gatewatch-2016-02-03

What a shitty story.

OnPoint

There's only one site so I don't bother to link to it every time *shrug*

It's usually like 10-15 pages back, depending on how active a week it's been. And if you're already there reading it and are going to take the time time to make a summary post for it (I like your summary better than the actual story, for the record), a copy/paste is convenient for the other members of the thread and it's always appreciated.

Bant Ascendancy

Permanents you control gain Exalted.

Grixis Ascendancy

When Grixis Ascendancy enters the battlefield, gain control of target non-land permanent with CMC 3 or less until Grixis Ascendancy leaves the battlefield.

During your upkeep, each opponent loses X life and you gain X life, where X is the number of permanents you control that you don't own.

Bant Ascendancy

Exalted

Wherever a creature you control attacks alone, untap it at the end of combat. When this creature deals damage to a player, put 2 +1/+1 Counters on it and draw a card, then discard a card.

Firemind

Grixis Ascendancy

Skip your draw step.

Pay one life: Each player draws a card.

Whenever an opponent draws a card, Grixis Ascendancy deals one damage to that player.

Discard a land card: Grixis Ascendancy deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194145990]Bant Ascendancy

Permanents you control gain Exalted.

Grixis Ascendancy

When Grixis Ascendancy enters the battlefield, gain control of target non-land permanent with CMC 3 or less until Grixis Ascendancy leaves the battlefield.

During your upkeep, each opponent loses X life and you gain X life, where X is the number of permanents you control that you don't own.[/QUOTE]

The Bant Ascendancy you just made is absurdly overpowered because it gives Exalted to all of your lands.

pigeon

Banned
Four is actually an ugly number so I will redesign mine.

Bant Ascendancy GWU
Enchantment
Exalted, exalted, exalted

0: Bant Ascendancy becomes a 1/1 flying Angel until end of turn. Play this ability only if you control no creatures.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Grixis Ascendancy

Skip your draw step.

Pay one life: Each player draws a card.

Whenever an opponent draws a card, Grixis Ascendancy deals one damage to that player.

Discard a land card: Grixis Ascendancy deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

This is basically equivalent to Channel + Fireball, isn't it? As long as you have at least one more life than your opponent, you can just draw X number of cards where X=your opponent's health.

PSA: The Magic Origins clash pack is absurdly underpriced right now. It's going for around $30, and it comes with Collected Company (currently $15), Windswept Heath (about $10), foil Siege Rhino (right now $2 but I can't imagine it staying that low forever), Dromoka's Command (~$4), Dromoka the Eternal, Valorous Stance, and White Anafenza.

I just bought 11 of them on partial spec (going to sell a playset of each money card to cut my initial investment in half). Someone on mtgmarketwatch did the math and if you wanted to, you could actually sell the contents of this deck for a small profit right now.

Thought Harvester + any processor is pretty nice.

PSA: The Magic Origins clash pack is absurdly underpriced right now. It's going for around $30, and it comes with Collected Company (currently $15), Windswept Heath (about $10), foil Siege Rhino (right now $2 but I can't imagine it staying that low forever), Dromoka's Command (~$4), Dromoka the Eternal, Valorous Stance, and White Anafenza.

I just bought 11 of them on partial spec (going to sell a playset of each money card to cut my initial investment in half). Someone on mtgmarketwatch did the math and if you wanted to, you could actually sell the contents of this deck for a small profit right now.

damn gonna get myself 3 or 4 of those just for the playset

What is allowable as a card for the shard is not the same as what works for a card that's supposed to be fundamentally representative of it!

If we look at how the Ascendancies are designed in Khans, each one is designed to do two things: support the faction's keyword mechanic directly, and their stereotypical game plan more generally. Abzan boosts Outlast +1/+1 counter lords and supports a general grindy resilience strategy, etc. So designing an Ascendancy for shards should follow a similar principle. Rather than try to flesh out full cards I figured I'd take a crack at the starting point for each one.

With Bant, the keyword is Exalted and the strategy is midrange voltron, so you'd want something like "At the start of your upkeep, target creature you control gets +1/+1, first strike, and indestructible until end of turn." Anything that encourages you to go wide doesn't really play well with the shard as they chose to define it.

With Esper, the "keyword" is "is an artifact" and the strategy is pretty much grindy control, so something like "Whenever an artifact ETBs in your control, gain 1 life. 1, sac an artifact: draw a card." No matter what the ability would have to be about artifacts.

With Grixis, the keyword is Unearth and the strategy is midrange/controlly reanimator, so something like "Mill yourself by 2 each upkeep. When a creature ETB from the graveyard, it ETB with two +1/+1 counters." This would be an optimal one to balance with a life payment if necessary.

With Jund, the keyword is Devour and the strategy is value tokens, so something like "At the end of any turn where a creature you control died, put a 1/1 goblin into play."

With Naya, the keyword is ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯ and the strategy is pretty much ramp, so something like "When this ETB, Rampant Growth; when a non-token creature ETB for you, if its power is less than or equal to your cards in hand, draw a card."

Lucario

Thanks for the heads-up. Bought them out at my LGS for 25, but had no idea they were still so underpriced online.

People really don't pay attention to sealed product specs.

ended up going 2-1 with UB flyers control deck.

It lost against too much early aggression but once I had the mana going I could counter up to 3 things a turn, had favourable blocks and flaying tendrils (-2/-2 to everything) killed only 1 of my creatures. Pretty sure the format currently is in a state you'll get a lot of free wins if you just draft a bunch of 2 and 3 drops in 2 colours and the rest fill with removal and or combat tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom