• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I don't see it going up at rotation. When Khans rotates out it gets a lot harder to play more than two colors so he'll see less play, barring some new broken Ux deck. Then when Origins rotates he'll probably dip as well. Unless we see a new, non-Merfolk Blue variant start to really show well in Modern he's not going to see enough play to sustain $70+ and Legacy doesn't really apply enough pressure to the price of non-foils to maintain at that level.
Maybe. But I feel like good Jaces have strong price memory. And all it takes is one breakout modern performance to catapult it back up and past. Especially since it's so hard to reprint.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
- It's a DFC, meaning substantially less reprintability.
- It's blue.
- It's a 2CMC Planeswalker than enables all degenerate strategies.
- It's splashable.
- It became immediately playable in all formats.
- It's mythic.

If they drop to 35, I may dip into speculation because there is no way the card won't become a 4 of when the right combo of UX is found in Modern. And when that day comes, expect a massive spike in price. Sort of like how I got a playset of them for what a single card is worth now.

But, just handing out free advice. I already gots mine.

FeD.nL

Got myself a box, not the best I guess but did pull an expedition which felt great.

bMBWx0J.jpg

red13th

My OGW preorders arrived this week and I noticed I forgot to order a Hissing Quagmire. :/
It's the only card I'm missing for my cube now, so annoying.

y2dvd

^^Sweet pulls.

Went 2-1 last night in drafts. The more I play against Support, the more I am impressed with it. Lost to RG aggro that had plenty of Zada's Commando backed with Support cards like Saddleback Lagac and such. 1 counter is pretty dirty on Zada. 2 counters is overload. 4/3 first strike was a bit much to overcome.

What's the first pick? Vile Redeemer or Flying Tendrils?

OnPoint

So jealous of everyone with Expeditions.

Is anyone in here looking to unload one? I'd be interested just to own one lol

y2dvd

So jealous of everyone with Expeditions.

Is anyone in here looking to unload one? I'd be interested just to own one lol

I have a Misty Rainforest, Flooded Strand, and Mana Confluence. My problem is not knowing what I want for them unfortunately lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maybe if Kiki-Chord gets popular enough WOTC can pat themselves on the back for having a reprintable red mythic people sort of want.

JulianImp

So we'll finally be getting the OGW "prerelease" tournaments this weekend, but it looks like no one will be attending to the LGS I used to play at.

Oh well, there's always the next block... maybe.

Yeef

I don't see it going up at rotation. When Khans rotates out it gets a lot harder to play more than two colors so he'll see less play, barring some new broken Ux deck.
The next block is Innistrad, which has a heavy graveyard theme. I'd be surprised if it were any harder to flip Jace. It'll probably be even easier.

OnPoint

Pulled zero Eldrazi Displacers and none at the local store. I had to buy one off eBay. I just want to build my damn Rasputin EDH deck already lol

Out of curiosity, can anyone think of cards in blue, white and colorless that get you cards from exile, or back from exile?

I have a Misty Rainforest, Flooded Strand, and Mana Confluence. My problem is not knowing what I want for them unfortunately lol.

Well make a decision and let's talk!

Pulled zero Eldrazi Displacers and none at the local store. I had to buy one off eBay. I just want to build my damn Rasputin EDH deck already lol

Out of curiosity, can anyone think of cards in blue, white and colorless that get you cards from exile, or back from exile?

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

And cards that get themselves
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

This is something that MaRo is strongly against, since it turns the exile zone into just another graveyard, but some have slipped by.

OnPoint

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

And cards that get themselves
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

This is something that MaRo is strongly against, since it turns the exile zone into just another graveyard, but some have slipped by.

Mirror seems to be what I need. I gotta figure out a way to get back Displacer if it gets removed.

Wulfric

So let's entertain the idea of Eternal Masters being an actual thing they'll announce this weeked at the Pro Tour. Does the announcement:

a.) Raise the price of non-Reserved list staples
b.) Lower the price of non-Reserved list staples
c.) Spikes the price of Reserved list cards
d.) Other (please explain)

I still think this rumor is completely unfounded, but gosh darn it I want this to be true. Though I would be happy with Conspiracy 2016 as well.

So we'll finally be getting the OGW "prerelease" tournaments this weekend, but it looks like no one will be attending to the LGS I used to play at.

Oh well, there's always the next block... maybe.

Let us know what happens. Sorry customs screwed you guys over. Have you received any sealed product at all? :/

Pretty sure that's not Modern. But yeah, great interaction.

Oh. Durr. I just found the suggestion so amusing.

So let's entertain the idea of Eternal Masters being an actual thing they'll announce this weeked at the Pro Tour. Does the announcement:

If it were real, on announcement it would slightly lower the price of staples in the short term as people tried to get out of stock on cards that could crash, then when it actually came out it would skyrocket any and all staples that weren't included.

I still think this rumor is completely unfounded, but gosh darn it I want this to be true.

The source was bad, I think, their cred was from predicting the bannings but they actually called Amulet rather than Summer Bloom.

Lucario

Okay this is a hilarious suggestion for deck tech for modern Eldrazi:

Image.ashx

Thanks for this; I forgot about this card entirely and needed another black card in my Commander Cube. Ordering one now.

I still think this rumor is completely unfounded, but gosh darn it I want this to be true. Though I would be happy with Conspiracy 2016 as well.

Let us know what happens. Sorry customs screwed you guys over. Have you received any sealed product at all? :/

It kind of depends. Would the release of the set come with increased support for Legacy in the future, or would it just be an excuse to reprint more modern and cube staples? If it's the former, I could see revised duals and other reserve list cards spiking to ridiculous prices. Basically the months before GP New Jersey all over again. The latter, and I think they'll stay stagnant. Maybe a 10%~ spike.

Nascent idea for a deck. Anything you guys this could be an improvement?

4x Eldrazi Displacer
4x Wall of Resurgence
4x Reflector Mage
3x Halimar Tidecaller
2x Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper
2x Planar Outburst
3x Scatter to the Winds
3x Ojutai's Command
4x Anticipate
4x Dig Through Time
2x Narset, Transcendant

4x Yavimaya Coast
3x Lumbering Falls
3x Crumbling Vestige
3x Prairie Stream
4x Flooded Strand
1x Canopy Vista
2x Mirrorpool
2x Island
3x Plains

Main idea is keep up Eldrazi Displacer/counter mana as often as possible. Repeated use of it to flicker Wall to make one land big. Halimar Tidecaller keeps Planar Outburst or Scatter to the Winds in your hand; Reflector Mage bounces threats. Noyan Dar helps get a land bigger faster. Everything else is either counters or filtering.

The Lumbering Falls is a free manland to use in off-color, because you need to use at least 4 copies of one of the painlands anyway to get effective numbers of colorless mana. You could as easily go with Shambling Vent and Caves of Koilos. Just readjust your plains and islands count to compensate.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hans-run-its-a-land-creature/

It's a neat combo but will you live long enough for it to he effective?

In this standard, I believe you could. But that's a valid criticism.

Your main way to win in just awakening a single land multiple times and either giving it flying or clearing the way with Reflector Mage.

Hell, I had a couple versions of this deck with Collected Company but I just didn't want that many creatures in here.

JulianImp

I don't know about the grand scheme of things since I've long drifted away from being an active Magic player, but from what I've heard the product isn't widely available anywhere yet. I've heard some drafts and small events have been held, but I guess that could've done by ordering a couple packs/boxes online.

Haines

Banned
I understand this a verry vague question.

In limited. How do you sideboard vs a lategame fliers deck.

This deck had 2 roiling warers, step glider, the one that gives ones flying for 2 mana the one that can give creatures with counters viligance and flying, wave wing etc.

Do you sideboard completely balls nuts aggressive, like drop late game drops and throw in 2 shriekers or do you throw in your plummet and vines of recluse and another 0/4 flier.

I know its a vague question. I just wondered if you guys who know the magic fundamentals might have an idea. My deck was more midrange but the moment the board clogged up i would get roiling and knocked around from air,

Either or both except the 0/4 flier.

I had a game like that today I still lost because he drew more creatures than me. I had a 3/1 and a 2/1 haste in hand. A plummet, tears of valakut and 3 lands.
Drew the 3 damage spell and got him all the way to 5 but I didn't drew enough gas to keep going and his creatures outclassed mine.

1 more low drop instead of land 7 would probably have been enough sadly that was in general the problem for my deck stacked at 3 but somehow all the 2 drops got cut.

Got a Kozileks Return in the prize pack from going 2-1

I have a spare Karakas that I could use some help with value estimating.

It has no scratches, but the edges are worn here and there.

http://imgur.com/wJR2sa6

Do any of you have a price that you would value the card at, for trading purposes? I'm wanting a bunch of cheaper cards for EDH, basically.

JulianImp

I understand this a verry vague question.

In limited. How do you sideboard vs a lategame fliers deck.

This deck had 2 roiling warers, step glider, the one that gives ones flying for 2 mana the one that can give creatures with counters viligance and flying, wave wing etc.

Do you sideboard completely balls nuts aggressive, like drop late game drops and throw in 2 shriekers or do you throw in your plummet and vines of recluse and another 0/4 flier.

I know its a vague question. I just wondered if you guys who know the magic fundamentals might have an idea. My deck was more midrange but the moment the board clogged up i would get roiling and knocked around from air,

I think you've got to identify who's the aggro and who has to play a more reactive game, and plan accordingly. Fliers tend to have lower stats than non-fliers for the same CMC, so if you notice you are the aggro player then you could try to mount an all-out offensive that forces them to trade your weenies for their relatively more expensive fliers. Reactive cards such as plummet or walls are good, but only if you notice you're the "control" (read: the one whose chances of winning get better the longer the game drags on; it doesn't actually matter whether your deck qould actually qualify as a control deck); after all, there's nothing to be gained from a plummet unless your opponent casts a creature worth killing, but that reactive line of play makes sense if your reactive plays lead into powerful creatures and spells your opponent's going to have trouble dealing with come the late-game.

Lucario

I have a spare Karakas that I could use some help with value estimating.

It has no scratches, but the edges are worn here and there.

http://imgur.com/wJR2sa6

Do any of you have a price that you would value the card at, for trading purposes? I'm wanting a bunch of cheaper cards for EDH, basically.

What EDH cards do you need?

edit: MP Karakas is 115-120 TCGPlayer and 160 SCG, but you shouldn't take 120 tcgplayer or 160 SCG worth of EDH jank for it, especially if you're trading for a lot of sub $10 cards. You should try to get at least a 15% bonus in value for trading down.

If I have what you need, I'd definitely trade you for it.

http://jobs.hasbro.com/search?q=&filter=true&locale=en_US&location=renton

So they're looking for a new Art Director.

Praise Yawgmoth.

YES.

Ashodin

God's Beard!";194263980][URL="http://deckstats.net/deck-9056364-99b2a110184f8b5ab3e2f6bf30f1b2c0.html?builder=1 said:
Decided to see how much it would cost to have a fully fleshed-out Kozilek, the Great Distortion EDH deck.
[/URL]

:|

That's almost double the price of my modern deck lol

vEpOJL3.gif

Surprisingly, I had most of all the singles necessary.

Haines

Banned
I think you've got to identify who's the aggro and who has to play a more reactive game, and plan accordingly. Fliers tend to have lower stats than non-fliers for the same CMC, so if you notice you are the aggro player then you could try to mount an all-out offensive that forces them to trade your weenies for their relatively more expensive fliers. Reactive cards such as plummet or walls are good, but only if you notice you're the "control" (read: the one whose chances of winning get better the longer the game drags on; it doesn't actually matter whether your deck qould actually qualify as a control deck); after all, there's nothing to be gained from a plummet unless your opponent casts a creature worth killing, but that reactive line of play makes sense if your reactive plays lead into powerful creatures and spells your opponent's going to have trouble dealing with come the late-game.

Ok.

So i was green black and him white blue. I think he turned out to be more controlling and just trying to make everything flieing to ever hit me.

So i think he would win more in the late game, because my few fliers would never stack up ypto him being able to make anything flying.

So i should have cut my 6 drops for shriekers and just pushed early game. The only problem was some of my colorless was coming from those 5 drop 3/5 that trade life for 1 c, but i suppose i could still keep them in.

He also just a much higher quality of a deck because mine was from a 6 man draft, and his a 2 man 2 draft with 8 packs. But that was beside the point. I also lost to another late game flier deck that i got down to 9 hp before he stablised and it prob would have made sense to sideboard agro instead of anti flying against him too i think. Or both. Whatever the cards look like in a deck.

Ok.

So i was green black and him white blue. I think he turned out to be more controlling and just trying to make everything flieing to ever hit me.

So i think he would win more in the late game, because my few fliers would never stack up ypto him being able to make anything flying.

So i should have cut my 6 drops for shriekers and just pushed early game. The only problem was some of my colorless was coming from those 5 drop 3/5 that trade life for 1 c, but i suppose i could still keep them in.

He also just a much higher quality of a deck because mine was from a 6 man draft, and his a 2 man 2 draft with 8 packs. But that was beside the point. I also lost to another late game flier deck that i got down to 9 hp before he stablised and it prob would have made sense to sideboard agro instead of anti flying against him too i think. Or both. Whatever the cards look like in a deck.

That's not supposed to happen you should only play within your own draft pod.

Anyway Kozilek's Return sell now or hold?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You pretty much missed the boat on the sell for Kozilek's Return.

That said, I expect it to be a solid hold because nothing rotates out of Ramp, whereas Rally, 4 Color Goodstuff and several key pieces of Atarka Red are rotating completely out of the format.

You pretty much missed the boat on the sell for Kozilek's Return.

That said, I expect it to be a solid hold because nothing rotates out of Ramp, whereas Rally, 4 Color Goodstuff and several key pieces of Atarka Red are rotating completely out of the format.

Yeah I just got it today from a draft and was disappointed seeing the downward trend, hence I don't really wanna sell it right now.

Firemind

mox diamond/opal can't produce colourless mana so they basically do nothing in the deck?

also playing urborg is definitely cheating. if that's how you colourless edh players want to win smh

Things I made a good evaluation of in this set: Reflector Mage, Kalitas

Things I completely missed in my evaluations in this set: Sylvan Advocate

Things I think will shine in the future from this set: Ayli, Reality Smasher, Void Grafter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom