• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There are cards I'm holding for now:

1) Thought-Knot Seer
2) Reality Smasher
3) Bearer of Silence
4) Matter Reshaper
5) Drana, Liberator of Malakir
6) Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
7) Kozilek's Return
8) World Breaker
9) Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

I'm trying to basically unload everything else (obviously just to fund boxes of Shadows Over Innistrad because lol)

Oh, so that's why Inverter of Truth exiles the library face down, specifically.

Well, it's more so you can just move your entire library to exile by pushing it to the side. If the cards had to be exiled normally (face-up), then you would have to give your opponent the opportunity to look through all of them.

Firemind

You can produce colours outside yours now.
Im gonna have to ask lsv for a second opinion

I mean it literally says: "mana of any color to your mana pool"

If you cloned a creature and used the mox to pay its abilities that would be different. But it shouldn't be able to produce colorless.

Santiako

Im gonna have to ask lsv for a second opinion

I mean it literally says: "mana of any color to your mana pool"

If you cloned a creature and used the mox to pay its abilities that would be different. But it shouldn't be able to produce colorless.

Which is funny because that's why it can't produce colourless mana anymore, french commander mox opal would produce colourless with a colourless commander.

I didnt read the original post right. I thought he said it can't produce any mana.

They are still useful to pay for 99% of the deck though.

I didnt read the original post right. I thought he said it can't produce any mana.

Originally in commander if a source would produce colour outside your commanders colour identity it'd produce colourless mana instead.
So Mox Opal could produce any colour of the colour identity of your commander or colourless. With the change it can produce any colour now but no longer colourless

Santiako

Originally in commander if a source would produce colour outside your commanders colour identity it'd produce colourless mana instead.
So Mox Opal could produce any colour of the colour identity of your commander or colourless. With the change it can produce any colour now but no longer colourless

I know, I misread the original post.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, in a colorless deck Mox Opal doesn't actually need to produce wingdings very often

Superior Canadian Highlander > Commander

(because you can run Black Lotus if you're rich, drunk and high in Canadian Highlander)

Angry Grimace

Inverter of Truth exiles face-down because face-down exile is something closer to the REAL gone from the game forever zone I guess. Also, because its spooky and Kozilek is the spooky guy I guess

Haines

Banned
That's not supposed to happen you should only play within your own draft pod.

Anyway Kozilek's Return sell now or hold?

Just kitchen table magic with a friend. He drafts with his wife, and since we only play limited we play our last decks built. But his is usually far better because of like i said.

Watching a vod of kenji drafting and playing ur surge. Its....interesting

Just kitchen table magic with a friend. He drafts with his wife, and since we only play limited we play our last decks built. But his is usually far better because of like i said.

Watching a vod of kenji drafting and playing ur surge. Its....interesting

My issue with UR surge is either you got the nut draw or your deck is just a bad aggro deck.

Genryu

Banned
Inverter of Truth exiles face-down because face-down exile is something closer to the REAL gone from the game forever zone I guess. Also, because its spooky and Kozilek is the spooky guy I guess

Is face-down exile any different from normal exile? I assume it works the same way other than the ability to see them.

Is face-down exile any different from normal exile? I assume it works the same way other than the ability to see them.

If you choose to "target" a face-down exiled card, it gets complicated because you're not supposed to know which one is which. You choose from a group of face-down cards that were exiled in a certain way, and then choose a card at random from that group. Even the owner of those cards is not supposed to know which one is which.

Plus, like I mentioned earlier, if you had to exile all cards in your library normally, you'd have to give your opponent the opportunity to look at all of those cards. Exiling them face-down saves time.

Angry Grimace

I wish Inverter of Truth was Desecration Demon :-(

I wish Mindbreaker Demon was Desecration Demon too. I don't even know why Mindbreaker Demon has an unplayable drawback. A 4/5 flier isn't that super awesome. I mean I guess I haven't seen SOI but I'm struggling to think of how a mechanic could exist which would make losing 4 life every turn even vaguely acceptable.

So, any predictions for the PT? I was thinking about what nominally powerful cards had been suppressed by Twin that might break out, and it occurred to me that Knight of the Reliquary could be poised for a big weekend. Relic-based decks might be some trouble, but I kinda don't think the PT crowd is going to be super hot on Eldrazi this weekend. Retreat to Coralhem might actually get a chance to shine. Any thoughts? Or am I way out in left field here?

Yeef

I wish Inverter of Truth was Desecration Demon :-(

I wish Mindbreaker Demon was Desecration Demon too. I don't even know why Mindbreaker Demon has an unplayable drawback. A 4/5 flier isn't that super awesome. I mean I guess I haven't seen SOI but I'm struggling to think of how a mechanic could exist which would make losing 4 life every turn even vaguely acceptable.
If Morbid (or something similar) is a thing, it basically just always turns it on if you have, say, From Beyond. It seems like less of a drawback and more of a build-around.

Genryu

Banned
If you choose to "target" a face-down exiled card, it gets complicated because you're not supposed to know which one is which. You choose from a group of face-down cards that were exiled in a certain way, and then choose a card at random from that group. Even the owner of those cards is not supposed to know which one is which.

Plus, like I mentioned earlier, if you had to exile all cards in your library normally, you'd have to give your opponent the opportunity to look at all of those cards. Exiling them face-down saves time.

Ah, I was just wondering if you could process things out of their face-down exile into their graveyard, so I wasn't really concerned about targeting specific things in the exile pile.

Ah, I was just wondering if you could process things out of their face-down exile into their graveyard, so I wasn't really concerned about targeting specific things in the exile pile.

You can but you choose from one pile of exiled cards by a specific effect/card at random if they are face down. Say you use memory jar and then play inverter of truth you now have to piles of face down cards in exile and if you want to process a card you have to choose one of the piles and then return one of them at random.

Santiako

Matter Reshaper's art is positioned differently in English, so weird:

L8Bwc5y.gif

(taken from reddit)

Jhriad

The next block is Innistrad, which has a heavy graveyard theme. I'd be surprised if it were any harder to flip Jace. It'll probably be even easier.

It'll be easier to flip but he's not going to be in as many decks as he has been, because the mana won't be as conducive to 3-4 color decks. That's the point I was trying to make. I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been. He'll still be great but it'll be a bit more difficult to splash blue into everything for Jace post-rotation.

So let's entertain the idea of Eternal Masters being an actual thing they'll announce this weeked at the Pro Tour. Does the announcement:

a.) Raise the price of non-Reserved list staples
b.) Lower the price of non-Reserved list staples
c.) Spikes the price of Reserved list cards
d.) Other (please explain)

IF it's a thing, any cards not reprinted in EM will probably start to see upward movement as new people try to get into the format. Unless it's a limited print run, the prices of high value cards that are reprinted will probably take an absolute beating. That's a pretty big guess without seeing the EV composition of the set though. Post-announcement I imagine we might see some folks moving non-Reserved list cards asap. All that said I think something like Archenemy is more likely than EM. The fact that the original rumor came from someone saying that Amulet of Vigor was going to be banned puts a damper on my buy-in.

http://jobs.hasbro.com/search?q=&filter=true&locale=en_US&location=renton

So they're looking for a new Art Director.

Praise Yawgmoth.

Praise be.

What EDH cards do you need?

edit: MP Karakas is 115-120 TCGPlayer and 160 SCG, but you shouldn't take 120 tcgplayer or 160 SCG worth of EDH jank for it, especially if you're trading for a lot of sub $10 cards. You should try to get at least a 15% bonus in value for trading down.

If I have what you need, I'd definitely trade you for it.

YES.

Maybe half a dozen on this list I have recently acquired. Some of this is for EDH but a very few are for Modern.

1 Academy Ruins
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Badlands
1 Bayou
1 Cavern of Souls
1 City of Brass
1 Darkwater Catacombs
1 Fetid Heath
1 Fire-Lit Thicket
1 Forbidden Orchard
1 Glacial Chasm
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Kor Haven
1 Leechridden Swamp
1 Mana Confluence
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Mystic Gate
1 Nimbus Maze
1 River of Tears
1 Scrubland
1 Serra's Sanctum
1 Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
1 Strip Mine
1 Sunken Ruins
1 Taiga
1 Tundra
1 Underground River
1 Underground Sea
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower
1 Wasteland
1 Alhammarret's Archive
2 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Ancestral Vision
1 Apocalypse
1 Arena of the Ancients
1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
1 Aura of Silence
1 Austere Command
1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Banishing Light
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Black Market
1 Blind Obedience
2 Burrenton Forge-Tender
1 Caged Sun
1 Castigate
3 Chord of Calling
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Clever Impersonator
1 Clock of Omens
1 Codex Shredder
4 Collected Company
1 Collective Restraint
1 Contagion Engine
1 Copy Enchantment
3 Courser of Kruphix
1 Crack the Earth
1 Creeping Corrosion
1 Crucible of Worlds *Judge Promo*
1 Crumble to Dust
1 Curse of Exhaustion
1 Damnation *Judge Promo*
1 Darksteel Forge
1 Decree of Annihilation
1 Defense Grid
1 Descent into Madness
1 Destructive Force
1 Detention Sphere
1 Devastation
1 Dromoka's Command
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Emblem: Narset
1 Emblem: Tamiyo, The Moon Sage
1 Energy Flux
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Forcefield
1 Fulminator Mage
1 Gamble
1 Ghostly Prison
1 Grasp of Fate
2 Greater Auramancy
1 Grim Monolith
1 Hallowed Burial
1 Hellkite Igniter
1 Humility
1 Idyllic Tutor
1 Impending Disaster
1 Jokulhaups
1 Karmic Justice
1 Karn Liberated
1 Karn, Silver Golem
1 Kismet
1 Kor Firewalker
2 Kozilek's Return
1 Kuldotha Forgemaster
1 Land Equilibrium
1 Leyline of Anticipation
1 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Leyline of the Void
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Lodestone Golem
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest
1 Meddling Mage
1 Memnarch
1 Memory Jar
1 Mesmeric Orb
1 Metalworker
1 Mind's Eye
1 Mortify
1 Mox Diamond
1 Mox Opal
1 Muddle the Mixture
1 Mycosynth Lattice
1 Mystic Remora
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Narset Transcendent
1 Necropotence
1 Nether Void
1 Nevermore
1 No Mercy
1 Norn's Annex
1 Null Brooch
1 Nullstone Gargoyle
1 Obliterate
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Overburden
1 Palace Siege
1 Paradox Haze
1 Pendrell Mists
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
1 Possessed Portal
1 Propaganda
2 Qasali Pridemage
1 Rain of Tears
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Reforge the Soul
1 Replenish
1 Reverence
1 Rhystic Study
1 Righteous Aura
1 Rout
1 Sculpting Steel
1 Sorin Markov
1 Soul Snare
1 Spellskite
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Spreading Plague
1 Stuffy Doll
1 Subversion
1 Tainted Aether
1 Tainted Remedy
1 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
1 Tangle Wire
1 Tectonic Break
1 Telepathy
1 Test of Endurance
1 Thassa, God of the Sea
1 The Abyss
1 The Chain Veil
1 Thoughts of Ruin
1 Thran Dynamo
1 Trinisphere
1 Turnabout
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
1 Underworld Dreams
1 Unwinding Clock
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Vile Consumption
1 Vindicate
2 Wall of Roots
1 Ward of Bones
1 Web of Inertia
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Wildfire
1 Winter Orb
1 Wrath of God
1 Zur's Weirding

Okay, so, I'm trying to build the most jank Land Destruction deck in modern. It hurts that Bloom is gone because this would have been hillarious to see, but oh well. Current deck so far is 3 colours, which Is..alright, I guess, though I'd prefer to keep it less divided.

Current deck so far:
4x Life From the Loam
4x Ghost Quarters
4x Eternal Witness
4x Leonin Arbiter
4x Flickerwisp
4x Azuza, Lost but Seeking
4x Birds of Paradise

I really should be running Boom//Bust(And Dark Dwellers)in this, but I have no idea if it's worth it to go to 3 colors for 2 cards.

Blow up their land with Arbiter in play, return Ghost Quarters with Loam, rinse and repeat.

Wow in my entire history of playing magic I don't think I've ever been screwed so much in a game.

Opening - 1 Land

Mulligan 1 - 0 Lands

Mulligan 2 - 1 Land

Mulligan 3 - 2 Lands keep

Continue to draw 4 or 5 lands, which isn't bad since it let me resolve my 3 drop and Noyan Dar. I was quite hopeful at that point.
Continue to draw not a single instant or sorcery except Warping Wail all game for which I was playing 3 lands that produce colourless and 4 other sources. Continue drawing lands till I have 9 in play.
Opponent Smite's my Noyan Dar, I draw Hedron Crawler. It's like MTGO wants me to quit magic.

Angry Grimace

I just don't get it. I just went like 2-8, and like 5 or 6 of those losses were land problems. I don't really know what to do, but I'm getting frustrated with the game in general because I want to play Magic, not sit around discarding until the "game" ends.

Yup, just happened again, Game 2 slipped away due to not getting more than 3 lands. It was an easy win with 4 due to the Languish and Thought-Knots at 4. Oh hey I curved out game 3 and pulled it out.

Only went 2-1 with it but this might be my favourite deck I drafted so far.

Dazzling reflection has risen in my evaluation time and again if I weren't getting one as a late pick anyway I'd draft 1 early on.

Round 2 game 1 was funny, my opponent was playing nothing but lands and ramp and my deck isn't one to pressure to early on so I was just developing a board. Then I think to myself he's in white, hasn't played anything but lands and a hedron archive, despite having 5 cards in hand and ask, "Planar Outburst inc?". Lo and behold I got blown out. Yeah then game was just horrendous.

kirblar

I just don't get it. I just went like 2-8, and like 5 or 6 of those losses were land problems. I don't really know what to do, but I'm getting frustrated with the game in general because I want to play Magic, not sit around discarding until the "game" ends.

Yup, just happened again, Game 2 slipped away due to not getting more than 3 lands. It was an easy win with 4 due to the Languish and Thought-Knots at 4. Oh hey I curved out game 3 and pulled it out.
What deck are you playing?

Angry Grimace

What deck are you playing?
I'm just playing and tweaking my Black/Colorless decks but I can't actually do anything because I keep getting 2 lands and then never drawing any more.

Angry Grimace

I'm on my phone now, can't. Its not the number of lands or color screw I'm just not getting any for whatever reason. It's a pretty standard Eldrazi list along the lines of the ones I was posting earlier that only has 4 Reality Smashers at 5 to top out the curve...

I won a lot with it at 24 started getting screwed by land, went to 25 still kept getting screwed.

MTGO taketh and MTGO giveth.

Going fuck it and sell all the foils I got, enter a single elim draft, draft a Kalitas (money drafted), Oath of Nissa, Kiora , Reckless Bushwacker.
Deck is a decent RG midrange deck. Get knocked out round 1 against a GB lowdrops + removal deck. No cohesion, no synergy just play creatures and swing, remove anything on the opponent's board.

Sell the stuff from the draft for 19 tickets. Made a little profit.

Haines

Banned
Im going to draft tonight. I considered giving online a try but i dont want to stay home ( i have 2 kids)

So hopefully i finally get put in an 8 man pod.

Sylvan Advocate is super good, he's in Dragonmaster Outcast tier I think. Except you can actually swing with him.
Advocate is awesome, get a play set while it's still <$5. I splashed Green in an allies deck just for that guy (and Abzan Charm).

Trying W/B life gain with Ayli. Pretty fun even if I miss Green splash.

Joe Molotov

Drafted U/W Control last night. 2x Blinding Drones, an Eldrazi Displacer, and a Guardian of Tazeem = Your shit's getting tapped as fuck.

Matriox

Also, big ups to Matriox for the whole eBay-cancellation situation. Got me the cards at a discounted rate and had great communication the whole way. That was a real stand-up way to handle that situation.
*Thumbsup* glad I could help. I felt terrible about the situation. May you smash realities in your near future!

y2dvd

LSV on the 4 Saddlback, 4 Zadi Commando deck in Limited

Haha I mentioned losing pretty hard to that the other day. It's real!

*edit: ^^well there you have it. Snap casters, Liliana, and the remaining fetches most likely won't see a standard reprint in a long time, the first 2 if ever. Modern Master 17' it is hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom