• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My problem isn't that Elvish Mystic rotated out, it's that Sylvan Caryatid did. Straight up Elvish Mystic at 2 mana is pretty terrible because you're doubling the mana investment of something that does to Fiery Impulse.

Jhriad

Latest Developments on why cards are too powerful for Standard.

The Latest Developments in making excuses for their piss poor reprint methodology. The article reads like a long-winded excuse for why BFZ block didn't have any real reprints of note. With prices going crazy all over the place they are starting damage control early to get ahead of the blowback they'll see once Modern season actually revs up. If the Summer set, Eternal Masters/Conspiracy 2/Whatever, isn't chock full of Modern staples they are in for a pretty epic shitstorm.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Latest Developments in making excuses for their piss poor reprint methodology. The article reads like a long-winded excuse for why BFZ block didn't have any real reprints of note. With prices going crazy all over the place they are starting damage control early to get ahead of the blowback they'll see once Modern season actually revs up. If the Summer set, Eternal Masters/Conspiracy 2/Whatever, isn't chock full of Modern staples they are in for a pretty epic shitstorm.

Honestly, this just sounds like generalized whining about wanting expensive cards for cheap. He makes a very good argument for why Thoughtseize was miserable (Thoughtseize IS miserable in Standard and its also a brainless card to run), why Liliana is probably too powerful for a Standard reprint (it IS too powerful for a standard reprint) and why removing certain taken-for-granted staple cards lets them freshen up standard because the rest of the environment has to be balanced around those cards. I don't get what your counterpoint is other than "I want expensive cards for cheap." That really isn't what he's talking about at all.

OnPoint

Honestly, this just sounds like generalized whining about wanting expensive cards for cheap. He makes a very good argument for why Thoughtseize was miserable (Thoughtseize IS miserable in Standard and its also a brainless card to run), why Liliana is probably too powerful for a Standard reprint (it IS too powerful for a standard reprint) and why removing certain taken-for-granted staple cards lets them freshen up standard because the rest of the environment has to be balanced around those cards. I don't get what your counterpoint is other than "I want expensive cards for cheap." That really isn't what he's talking about at all.

I don't personally need these things in Standard. But a more regular situation needs to be figured out. If they're not going to reprint MM ever year, they need to do some sort of Modern Deck series or something in the off years.

Yeef

The pros seem to be favouring very aggressive decks in these drafts.
The format is definitely more aggressive than BFZ. Fewer Scions and smaller creatures overall in OGW make aggro strategies a lot more viable. Cohort also helps give the aggressive decks a bit of extra reach; in BFZ the landfall deck would often run out of gas and fall short on the last few points.

Angry Grimace

And it being timed to coincide with all the grumbling about BFZ block reprints, or lack thereof, and the modern price swings is entirely coincidental.

Uh huh, right.

Grumbling about prices and reprints have existed since Magic the Gathering invented formats. He's explaining in detail why you can't just print [Beloved Card X] into Standard and you saying "HMMMM TIMING SEEMS SUSPECT" isn't the same thing as having a coherent counter-argument to his point.

Matriox

5262qGs.jpg

Huh. Good call kirblar.

The Latest Developments in making excuses for their piss poor reprint methodology. The article reads like a long-winded excuse for why BFZ block didn't have any real reprints of note.

Everything he says is correct though. Thoughtseize and Mutavault were unpleasantly omnipresent, and Liliana and Inquisition would have been similar. If you're interested in seeing reprints to address price and availability of Modern cards, you should be happy to read this because it means they'll stop putting aside cool reprints to use in Standard (thereby excluding them from sets like MM) only to pull them for power level at the last minute, leaving them unreprinted. Once they accept that Standard isn't the venue for these reprints they can focus on doing them in places that actually make sense.

My problem isn't that Elvish Mystic rotated out, it's that Sylvan Caryatid did.

I wasn't thrilled about how Caryatid just completely gummed up the ground in the format of the time. I feel like there's gotta be a good option that's maybe at the midpoint of that card and the 2/1 1G Mystic guy.

Angry Grimace

Everything he says is correct though. Thoughtseize and Mutavault were unpleasantly omnipresent, and Liliana and Inquisition would have been similar. If you're interested in seeing reprints to address price and availability of Modern cards, you should be happy to read this because it means they'll stop putting aside cool reprints to use in Standard (thereby excluding them from sets like MM) only to pull them for power level at the last minute, leaving them unreprinted. Once they accept that Standard isn't the venue for these reprints they can focus on doing them in places that actually make sense.

I wasn't thrilled about how Caryatid just completely gummed up the ground in the format of the time. I feel like there's gotta be a good option that's maybe at the midpoint of that card and the 2/1 1G Mystic guy.

I would be okay with 1/1 Hexproof 1G T: Any color. I just did not like the fact that you can pay 2 for a guy and get Fiery Impulsed.

Hero

Hexproof on a creature with power that can tap for mans early game and equip up for later? Nah dog.

How else are you supposed to do anything against ramp if you can't kill their creatures?

Yeef

Part of me had expected a playable, scion-based mana dork early during BFZ spoilers. Something like:

Eldrazi Dork 1G
Creature
Devoid
T: Add <> to your mana pool.
When ~ dies, get a scion.
1/1

Angry Grimace

Death's Shadow suicide zoo on the top tables as well, that's so awesome.

This is the first round of Modern, there are no top tables lol

It's just people who did good at draft.

Randy getting all sorts of cards wrong is ridiculous.

Honestly, they need to fire half of Wizard's Coverage team. Maybe even make it into two/3 sub teams:

Marshall/Someone on limited

Ian Duke/Someone on Standard

And another pair on Modern.

Randy/Rashad are just awful at commentary.

Jhriad

He's explaining in detail why you can't just print [Beloved Card X] into Standard

Which has be explained through various channels by a number of WOTC representatives plenty of times with Thoughtseize being the most commonly used example. They dropped that article just prior to the the Modern Pro Tour so they can point to it after the post Pro Tour price bump hits and the ensuing wave of complaints roll in. This isn't new information to anyone and should have long since been integrated into their reprint strategy regarding supplemental product & promo cards.

bigkrev

Dech Tech for Burn with a guy who doesn't speak/understand English very well this early in the tournament seems like a bad idea.

Like, if it's a really cool/unique deck, or if it's an established pro who talks well it's one thing, but this is hard to watch.

Angry Grimace

Dech Tech for Burn with a guy who doesn't speak/understand English very well this early in the tournament seems like a bad idea.

Good on him for trying to do the interview in the language that the viewers can understand. He clearly understands more than he speaks.

PsionBolt

Latest Developments on why cards are too powerful for Standard.

I can't say I like the premise of this article. I like playing cards that are plain and powerful. They're my absolute favourite cards.

For me, cards like Lightning Bolt and Llanowar Elves do the opposite of "make Magic less fun" -- I love casting simple spells, and when I lose to a simple spell, it doesn't feel nearly as bad as when I lose to a rainbow-coloured creature with four-plus lines of text. Even Counterspell, Dark Ritual, and Swords to Plowshares are pretty damn fun, provided they're in an environment that isn't broken in half by them. That's part of why Cube is such a beloved format, right? You get to play awesome spells and feel awesome without facing a degenerate, over-centralized set of decks on the other side of the table.

Angry Grimace

I can't say I like the premise of this article. I like playing cards that are plain and powerful. They're my absolute favourite cards.

For me, cards like Lightning Bolt and Llanowar Elves do the opposite of "make Magic less fun" -- I love casting simple spells, and when I lose to a simple spell, it doesn't feel nearly as bad as when I lose to a rainbow-coloured creature with four-plus lines of text. Even Counterspell, Dark Ritual, ad Swords to Plowshares are pretty damn fun, provided they're in an environment that isn't broken in half by them.

It's more complicated than that though. Dark Ritual existing means every black spell costs about B more than it should otherwise, which isn't interesting gameplay.

Bolt severely limits what kind of cards can see play especially in the 3 toughness range.

Angry Grimace

Holy shit, Turn 1 Chalice of the Void on 1 against burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom