• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0rk

I find it hard to believe they couldn't find something better than Endless One. I guess it always fits the curve

bigkrev

Hey, there are Oath of the Gatewatch cards being played on camera! I was told Modern was bad b cause it didn't showcase the new set!

bigkrev

This mono colorless version of Eldrazi seems really soft to Blood Moon
...which is probably in lower numbers with the lack of Twin

Well, normally they aren't showcasing one of the strongest overall constructed sets of all time.

^
Oath, despite it being a small set, is the set that once Khans rotates out will likely be the defining power level of Standard. Sure, Gideon/Jace are going to stay in as big players, but Oath is stronger then BFZ, Origins, and Dragons IMO, and unless Shadows is insane powerlevel wise, Oath's going to dominate Standard.

Oath gave us a reason to legitimately play Allies(I know it's weakish, but Oath of Gideon on a Turn 6 GW Allies deck is nuts with all the new toys Allies have), Oath of Nissa is nuts in general, The Colourless Eldrazi are nuts, Reckless Bushwhacker is nuts, etc.

Nothing in FRF/Born had this impact minus perhaps Ugin.

Wulfric

Endless One is doing work, lmao. I'm impressed to see so many OGW cards at a PT, in Modern no less. I feel like PT BFZ was Gideon and that was it. It's neat to see Warping Wail and Thought-Knot Seer at the feature tables.

bigkrev

Any hope for buying Chalice for less than like $30+ is probably gone already. Being in LSV's deck means spiiiiiiiiike

It spiked hard in that short period where Treasure Cruise was legal and the only deck worth playing was Delver. I don't think it's recovered from that

Also, I can't look at Darwin Kastle's hair

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This mono colorless version of Eldrazi seems really soft to Blood Moon
...which is probably in lower numbers with the lack of Twin

That's why it runs Wastes, I think. The idea is to dump something big and busted before Blood Moon can feasibly come down. LSV's deck appears to be very aggressive.

Ashodin

Chalice was on screen at the PT?

aaaand-its-gone-smt2lw.jpg

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Tuned in like 5 minutes too late to scoop up any Chalices. Had been sleeping on that card for far too long anyway, but now it'll be out of reach for the foreseeable future.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194353808]Why run wastes over basic swamp if you have Dismember?[/QUOTE]

You have 0 sources of Colorless into Blood Moon

ultron87

They presumably don't want to film deck techs before the first round of Modern (since everything is secret), so the Day 1 techs are probably from people that are available during the Constructed rounds with time left in the round. So, Burn and Affinity.

ultron87

Yeah, with Tron and Eldrazi decks running around Champion is way too often a 3 mana 2/2 that still gets blocked and killed by a lot of stuff.

Lucario

Tuned in like 5 minutes too late to scoop up any Chalices. Had been sleeping on that card for far too long anyway, but now it'll be out of reach for the foreseeable future.

amazon has a few at 20, toywiz has 'em at 25, and random foreign sites have them for ~15

move fast, though

ironmang

I have a hard time going into something like a GP without any etched main. I can see it being more effective at a pro tour where people are going to just play whatever deck they believe has the best chance of winning unlike a GP where the jund player might not have a second deck ready to go.

Angry Grimace

"I like 1-ofs"

-A man who once played a Highlander deck at a Modern pro tour

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
amazon has a few at 20, toywiz has 'em at 25, and random foreign sites have them for ~15

move fast, though

well, the Amazon ones were already sold out by the time you posted this and almost all the toywiz ones were as well seemingly. However, I did manage to check out with two Modern Masters ones, so hopefully that works out. Thanks for the head-up.

Haines

Banned
I missed the pt draft portion, but i got in LR before limited tonight.

Can anybody give me any good take aways? Will skim through most of it when i can, im just curious if anything i could have learned for my games tonight.

bigkrev

I missed the pt draft portion, but i got in LR before limited tonight.

Can anybody give me any good take aways? Will skim through most of it when i can, im just curious if anything i could have learned for my games tonight.

Fighting for the W/B allies deck might not be a good idea because everyone knows it's the best deck and are taking Zulaport Chainmage very high.

Haines

Banned
Fighting for the W/B allies deck might not be a good idea because everyone knows it's the best deck and are taking Zulaport Chainmage very high.

Yeah, so ive heard drafting self corrects its own meta. So if everyone knows that, what happens that makes it correct itself?

Im afraid of white black bc people will get pulled in by its great commons and golds.

Santiako

Haven't been too impressed by CFB"s full colorless eldrazi decks so far, it seems to rely entirely on the turn 1/2 chalice draw to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom