• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randy getting all sorts of cards wrong is ridiculous.

What'd he screw up today?

Bolt severely limits what kind of cards can see play especially in the 3 toughness range.

I think a lot of people don't remember just how defining Lightning Bolt was. When it's legal in Standard it changes the evaluation of every single creature (and pretty much makes 3-toughness guys unplayable.)

Hey, there are Oath of the Gatewatch cards being played on camera! I was told Modern was bad b cause it didn't showcase the new set!

They definitely mised into the Modern Pro Tour after a super strong Modern set.

So what day are product announcements? I was hoping we'd learn a bit more about SOI sometime this weekend.

Either late in the constructed portion tomorrow or during the quarterfinals on Sunday.

Sea Gate Wreckage in the Affinity SB is not something I was expecting.

I mean, they've got the colorless mana and they like to dump their hand...

kirblar

Randy: Thoughtseize instead of Thoughtcast. Naturalize instead of the new one ( that one was on the hand-caller people as well.)

Randy: Thoughtseize instead of Thoughtcast. Naturalize instead of the new one ( that one was on the hand-caller people as well.)

Thoughtseize and Thoughtcast are not the same card. :3

How terrible is it that as soon as they asked about lands that tap for four mana I basically shouted "Scorched Ruins and Lake of the Dead!" at the screen? So much valuable brain space....

Also it's funny to me how, since we first saw this Eldrazi deck turn up a few months ago, the pros have decided to replace 100% of the guts and just keep the mana base shell intact. OGW is just so much better than BFZ. (Sad Kozilek doesn't seem to be a thing though.)

Lucario

Assuming he is at least 18 years old, Ondrej Strasky has passed Patrick Diekmann on my list of cutest Pro Tour players

lmao he's 20

Also it's funny to me how, since we first saw this Eldrazi deck turn up a few months ago, the pros have decided to replace 100% of the guts and just keep the mana base shell intact. OGW is just so much better than BFZ. (Sad Kozilek doesn't seem to be a thing though.)

Yeah, it's pretty silly how different the list is; prepare for marsh flats to tank to where it was before BW became a thing. Wish I saw the manland-heavy manabase when brewing up colorless versions.

He looks like he's 12 years old!

Not what you want to be saying right after calling him the cutest one. :p

Yeah, it's pretty silly how different the list is; prepare for marsh flats to tank to where it was before BW became a thing. Wish I saw the manland-heavy manabase when brewing up colorless versions.

It really shows just how much better the ✧ stuff is compared to the processing stuff; instead of having to jump through all these hoops you just drop stuff and beat with it.

I do really like how with OGW the Eldrazi deck feels more appropriate; it's really obviously a tribal deck that does weird and unusual tribal stuff, and makes a lot of odd plays you wouldn't see elsewhere (I love the "Ghost Quarter your own land to get a Wastes" move.)

f0rk

Did this Infect player keep 7 cards with no creature?

lol he must have known what he was playing and thought it out

Bandini

I got owned pretty hard by that Death's Shadow deck last night.
Dude had 2x Death's Shadow and 2x Apostle's Blessing by turn 3 in both games, geez. Especially gross since Apostle's also can give protection from artifacts to stop my AEther Spellbombs from bouncing their creature.

Daedardus

Damn, that was fast.

What I like about Eldrazi is that it seems really varied. Even within Eldrazi there are plenty of totally different strategies.

bigkrev

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/...atewatch-modern-metagame-breakdown-2016-02-05

ptogw_breakdown_deckbreakdown.png

So any deck not listed here (ie, Tron) has 13 or fewer players in the room

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Helicopter Parents are everywhere. Just like you'd expect.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/...atewatch-modern-metagame-breakdown-2016-02-05

I think playing the deck with a target on its back that can or could be hated out with a few well placed sideboard cards is bad. Affinity has this problem as well, but it also just wins through it by your opponent never drawing it and you being dead. Tron isn't that fast, so it gives decks more time to draw into hate.

Daedardus

Might rebuild my Twin deck as Blue Moon, seems the deck is still viable and fun to play too.

"Twin was taking up too much of the metagame with its 13% play percentage."

Helicopter Parents are everywhere. Just like you'd expect.

Haha, now I finally get why Chandra has always been so lackluster.

Went 1-2 at fnm today and I can hardly be saltier. Won round 1, lost round 2 to Drana game 1 on turn 3 and game 2 on turn 4 or 5.

Last round win game 1, get screwed 2 games in a row. Tomorrow gonna go to another draft. Just needed to vent. Got an oath of Nissa though.

Bandini

You'll all be thrilled to know I removed my two main board Negates for a Kitchen Finks and a Mana Leak.

Still waiting on that silver bullet sideboard card in UW to combat Eldrazi decks, you guys.

bigkrev

You'll all be thrilled to know I removed my two main board Negates for a Kitchen Finks and a Mana Leak.

Still waiting on that silver bullet sideboard card in UW to combat Eldrazi decks, you guys.

Engineered Explosives for Zero kills Endless Ones and Chalices and Tokens

Daedardus

"Thug's" a racial code word w/ Black males, yeah.

I thought it was just a reference to the Looney Tunes cartoon with thugs referring to black creatures who are usually depicted as shadowy, criminally creatures. Was not familiar with the use of the word to describe black males in a racist context, but I can understand why it can be inappropriate.

Daedardus

Rules question. If you can gain an arbitrary amount of life, but your opponents has an option in the future to deal an arbitrary amount of damage (say, Twin), how do you go about tracking your life total? Do you have to pick and write down a number and keep deducting points from it or is that unneeded since it's mostly useless?

An-Det

Rules question. If you can gain an arbitrary amount of life, but your opponents has an option in the future to deal an arbitrary amount of damage (say, Twin), how do you go about tracking your life total? Do you have to pick and write down a number and keep deducting points from it or is that unneeded since it's mostly useless?

Legally you have to pick a number and track from there, but yeah it's basically useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom