• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah as a birthday present I bought a friend of mine an alliance booster. He's forever been planning a chaos draft and I thought it'd make a nice addition.

Would an Urza's have been better?

Man I have to jump out every time something insane is happening. I need to go back and watch some of these matches on replay later.

Helicopter Parents are everywhere. Just like you'd expect.

I don't know how I never heard this nickname before but I love how perfect it is, lol.

I think playing the deck with a target on its back that can or could be hated out with a few well placed sideboard cards is bad. Affinity has this problem as well, but it also just wins through it by your opponent never drawing it and you being dead. Tron isn't that fast, so it gives decks more time to draw into hate.

Yeah I think this is pretty much right. Everyone knew going in both how strong Tron was in a vacuum and how brittle it was to hate. That's not gonna get through testing gauntlets.

Ah, they must be talking about the "Thugs & Bugs" black/green infect deck. I was surprised that they allowed that.

Yeah I saw that and went "uhhhhhh...."

Crocodile

This Eldrazi deck just looks like a super good draft deck LOL

Also SMH at that deck name. I didn't see it live but my twitter feed was more than willing to inform me. Good on WOTC for pulling back on that but SMH on who-ever named that deck and whoever let that get all the way to on air.

EDIT: What deck is "Helicopter Parents"?

Drafted an amazing RW Equipment deck(4 Trainers).. That folded to itself in every game. 17 land and I mulled to 6 every fucking time and I still either for flooded or screwed.

Had some people in my LGS react to the skyspawner on stream, it was glorious.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If they're so concerned about Modern PTs not showing off the card you'd think they'd do limited at the end of the day.

Wow the end of that match was insane. 8-0 with Trash Draft Eldrazis. Good lord.

It isn't a particular deck, it's the card Pia and Kiran Nalaar. It's been seeing a lot of play.

Funny to me to look back at the Origins impressions where people were being like "man too bad they printed Whirler Rogue and guaranteed Pia and Kiran will never see any play...."

If they're so concerned about Modern PTs not showing off the card you'd think they'd do limited at the end of the day.

I think it makes it a lot easier for them to play up the narratives if they do constructed second though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wow the end of that match was insane. 8-0 with Trash Draft Eldrazis. Good lord.

Funny to me to look back at the Origins impressions where people were being like "man too bad they printed Whirler Rogue and guaranteed Pia and Kiran will never see any play...."

I think it makes it a lot easier for them to play up the narratives if they do constructed second though.

I mean, I suspect they know the players don't care about draft, but what can they do.

I didn't see the end of the UR Eldrazi match, what happened? It seems like a goofy deck, but yeah, I'm not surprised that a deck that's powered by 2 different types of Mishra's Workshop is good regardless of the quality of creatures being played.

Crocodile

It refers to Pia and Kiran Nalaar. I assume.

It isn't a particular deck, it's the card Pia and Kiran Nalaar. It's been seeing a lot of play.

Ah ok that makes sense. I know the card has seen Modern play in the past and its a good card in most Cubes too. I'm not surprised.

Those people don't play Cube most likely. Answering the question "which of these new cards are good Cube cards?" is usually a good way to catch under-appreciated cards before they spike or just end up in constructed formats.

Lucario

I mean, I suspect they know the players don't care about draft, but what can they do.

I didn't see the end of the UR Eldrazi match, what happened? It seems like a goofy deck, but yeah, I'm not surprised that a deck that's powered by 2 different types of Mishra's Workshop is good regardless of the quality of creatures being played.

First he drew Relic, which killed his opponent's hopes of comboing off.

Next he drew his fourth Drowner of hope, making his Vile Aggregate insanely huge.

Finally, he drew his second copy of dismember (unless he'd been sandbagging both of 'em for a while but I doubt that.) This allowed him to get Aggregate through without it dying, and kill Wall of Roots while the Pontiff Haunt trigger was still on the stack.

Santiako

The two 5-0 decks in modern are Red Blue. (I don't know if there's more, but UR Eldrazi Aggro and Bluemoon are the two top decks)

Bury it in the morning, apparently.

From being way behind in everything, Tao flooded the board with Drowners of Hope (including one he pulled off actually activating the Eye of Ugin), put down a giant Vile Aggregate off of all his Scions, carefully played around a ton of hinky haunt and persist interactions, and over a couple turns knocked Lewandowski from 28 down to 0.

And yeah, I think the Workshop comparisons are the best way to think about the deck, I'm just surprised that even something as wonky as blue-red can still be powerful with that base.

Those people don't play Cube most likely.

Yeah it seemed like a fundamental error to me even to start.

Angry Grimace

I still don't see how anyone can really argue that having 2 flavors of Mishra's Workshop isn't an obvious ban target even if it hasn't won the tournament yet. That's pretty gross, especially when you add in blatantly pushed on-curve creatures. If you go back, I've been saying that I thought Eldrazi was a lock to be a good deck and be a target because lands that produce multiple mana have always been busted and now the beatdowns they produce are Modern viable cards on their own.

I wonder if All Is Dust is in any of these decks.

I still don't see how you can argue that having 2 flavors of Mishra's Workshop isn't an obvious ban target even if it hasn't won the tournament yet.

It seems like an obvious watchlist possibility, anyway. I think they'd want to see it crowding out other aggro options and settling into one obvious best build before they act, but I wouldn't bet a ton of money on it being a going concern for Pro Tour Chicken Stock next year.

Doesn't look like it's in either the Pantheon black shell or Trash Draft Eldrazis so maybe not? I feel out of touch on the metagame a bit because it would seem like a 5-ish mana one-sided wrath would be good, but people don't seem to think it's necessary?

Santiako

I still don't see how anyone can really argue that having 2 flavors of Mishra's Workshop isn't an obvious ban target even if it hasn't won the tournament yet. That's pretty gross, especially when you add in blatantly pushed on-curve creatures. If you go back, I've been saying that I thought Eldrazi was a lock to be a good deck and be a target because lands that produce multiple mana have always been busted and now the beatdowns they produce are Modern viable cards on their own.

They'll do something about it when they stop trying to sell BFZ block sealed products :p

Lucario

Doesn't look like it's in either the Pantheon black shell or Trash Draft Eldrazis so maybe not? I feel out of touch on the metagame a bit because it would seem like a 5-ish mana one-sided wrath would be good, but people don't seem to think it's necessary?

Maybe a 1-2 of in sideboards? I cut it a while ago from mono black, it doesn't do anything against affinity or tron and it's too slow for burn. Pretty much the only bad matchup it helped with was Fish, which wasn't common enough to justify keeping it.

Angry Grimace

It seems like an obvious watchlist possibility, anyway. I think they'd want to see it crowding out other aggro options and settling into one obvious best build before they act, but I wouldn't bet a ton of money on it being a going concern for Pro Tour Chicken Stock next year.

The issue to me is that there's nothing else that's allowed to have free land-based mana accelerators. Hell, the ones that do exist are banned in Legacy.

noquarter

Damn Chalice. Had a couple in my eBay watch list and they are up over what BINs were the other day. Should have just bought the last one I need for my play set. Oh well.

Really hope they don't ban Eldrazi. Really seems like a fun deck that has lots of flavors. Guess it probably has until next year at best.

Played 2HG. Went B/W/c flyers with lots of counters and three Exploration Raptors. Splashed C for contortion, thought-knot and reality smasher. Wife played a R/G ally big stuff deck. Probably should have splashed B, but thought that would be difficult for her (I help her play but still want her to understand and get better, playing 2 colors is easier for her to evaluate good hands and such).

Took game one barely, stole a creature had it right another of the bounced another and attacked with all we had.

Game 2 we drew. Looked like we could pull out of and they dropped a Sphinx. Ended up saving them. Got to show my wife she lives of play though since they were chill and they ended up learning too.

Game 3 was bad. They just went faster than us. Really feel my misplay with them playing quickly did me in. Had a Seering Light in hand and they dropped the U/R mage and attacked. Went slow on my response and just let it go. Wife got mana screwed and I just wasn't playing consistent. Plus they had pretty good removal.

Not a huge fan of 2HG, but it is nice to show my wife lots of lines of play. Hope she is picking up on it.

Ashodin

Won the FNM modern,

BOOM/BUST B O Y S

Went up against Tron first round. Was a suboptimal Tron, but that's okay I was running kind of suboptimal myself.

First game I blow up a tron piece with boom, and he never recovers.

Second game I don't really draw any blow up, but I get in enough damage to seal the deal.

RECORD: W/L/D, 1-0-0, 2/0/0

Round 2, Affinity. Kinda scared here.

First game, I lose to Ensoul Artifact lolz. OK, Sideboard time~! Smash to Smithereens.

Second game, smash smash, boom boom. He never recovers after losing his lands.

Third game - Ensoul comes, Smash it. Follow that with two booms on his only two lands, and he has just two Mox opal out to cast anything. Not a quick win, but feels good.

RECORD: W/L/D, 2-0-0, 4/1/0

Round 3 (FINAL)

Tron deck #2. A little better put together.

First game, boom a tron piece. Never recovers, but all my shit exploded from removal. Still won.

Second game, boom a tron piece, he still blows shit up, then I get five mana online and GDD into Bust. DEFINITELY never recovers.

RECORD: W/L/D 3-0-0, 6/1/0

I win three packs yay and a promo! Feels good to finally win one of these things.

kirblar

I don't know why it would happen that fast. We established this year that they basically save up Modern bans to do right before the annual Modern Pro Tour.
This is likely to require swifter action if things can't self-correct (and I don't think they can.)

Haines

Banned
Enjoyd draft at the shop tonight.

But im pretty sure im done playing, finally. Game is great. Absolutely love it. But with only playing limited, it just doesnt suit my lifestyle.

Not that any of you care. I will probably just watch limited and maybe even hit the odd draft or prerelease for fun in the future. Dink around on freebie magic online, but with free hearthstone standard very soon, that looks extremely promising, it just fits my 30 year old, dad of 2, with a million good video games in my back log self. And i want to go back to the gym again. Love me some gym.

This set is cool in limited, but everything just devolves into allies and support cohort.

I played an amazing black blue colorless deck. Very fun, tough for a newbie like me to pilot, but def shows off the fun stuff in the game.

Ashodin

What's your decklist?
Lands:

1 Arid Mesa
4 Darksteel Citadel
3 Evolving Wilds
4 Mountain
3 Plains
2 Sacred Foundry
1 Scalding Tarn
3 Terramorphic Expanse

4 Boom // Bust
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
1 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
1 Legion Loyalist
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
2 Magmatic Insight
4 Monastery Swiftspear
1 Oust
2 Pyromancer Ascension
3 Roast
2 Zurgo Bellstriker

Sideboard:

2 Arc Lightning
3 Hallowed Moonlight
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Ride Down
2 Secure the Wastes
4 Smash to Smithereens

As you can see, it's not optimal, but all the essential pieces are there. Oust is in there because of Angry Grimace. lol

noquarter

This is likely to require swifter action if things can't self-correct (and I don't think they can.)
What is so bad right now? Is the PT really thing to end up with a bunch of Ekdrazi decks in the finals? Even then one tournament isn't enough for them to take action. We really haven't had time to see a meta evolve with this yet and it hasn't won any tournaments.

Honestly if they ban it before next year or half of the decks in most tournaments for three months are all Eldrazi I'll be pretty upset.

I know out isn't standard, but when CawBlade dominated they at least tried to correct through cards first then banned. Yes, they did make it more powerful at the same time they tried to bring in answers, but still they let me lose for like six months before getting rid of Jace.
Enjoyd draft at the shop tonight.

But im pretty sure im done playing, finally. Game is great. Absolutely love it. But with only playing limited, it just doesnt suit my lifestyle.
Hope you come back. Might be worth it to look for a play group and build a cheap cube. If you go unpowered you could build one fairly cheap and have limited any time. Probably be cheaper in the long run, allow you to define the play styles and still get some games in every once in awhile.

Is the sac ability that good on Pia and Kiran to make them better?

Chucking unnecessary guys to clear out opposing creatures or go to the dome is just more relevant long-term than tapping some stuff.

I want to see what the metagame does to react and whether anyone finds a good sideboard strategy before I buy that the format's broken. The shell is clearly good but it doesn't look oppressive (yet, anyway) to me in the matches we saw today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom