• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, the - 3 isn't just a temp Pitching needle, it's also a Temporary Nevermore. You could block a boardwipe with it, or something.

Gideon would insist on waiting for marriage to even touch her. He probably would also want to turn the lights off.
Chandra would get bored of Gideon being a stiff and would eventually seduce Nissa.

I mean, why have fake wood when you could have wood wood?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
To be fair, the - 3 isn't just a temp Pitching needle, it's also a Temporary Nevermore. You could block a boardwipe with it, or something.

Chandra would get bored of Gideon being a stiff and would eventually seduce Nissa.

I mean, why have fake wood when you could have wood wood?

Like I said, Meddling Mage text probably isn't enough to warrant a minus. Planeswalkers can be attacked, so its not as powerful as it looks.

Yeef

Dovin's biggest problem is that his + only targets creatures. If it could also hit artifacts, he'd be so much better.

Ashodin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVz6fT_sOus

MwLblJM.png

Also Dovin Baan in a Clue Production shell

ceQoyRu.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
rekt

Testing out the deck, it's really really annoying and probably way better than my previous decklist lol
You know what would make it it better?

4 less copies of Dovin Baan.

Wulfric

Damn, they ain't playing around with MTGO anymore. Any software devs care to explain what they can do with this many personnel? I don't see Magic Online sticking around in it's current form with all these new hands on deck. I find the visual effects job quite interesting. It's not like MTGO has any! Well, perhaps it for the Duels series.

First thing listed?

rekt

Testing out the deck, it's really really annoying and probably way better than my previous decklist lol
LOL, so it is. I missed that somehow.

I do agree that Baan doesn't help though.

Honestly, if you could justify it, I'd look into going Bant. If not, maybe Whir of Invention to tutor out the Journal? Idk, I'm in the process of brewing Bank Clues and Whir is so dumb with clues

Guys. The Gatewatch Has Your Back.

8FOaovO.jpg

:)

I found the "story" missions this time around a little easier than some of the sets in Duels. Was decent, though - glad that it's out.

More like the Gateship.

Haha, fair.

In other Magic Duels news, the Deck Builder interface has more functionality. Only just looked at it, but you can sort by Set, Mechanic, Creature Type, and Keyword in addition to Color and Card Type. There is also some And / Or functionality, too. I'm glad they put a little more work into this.

Will report back after using it a bit.

Two annoying Duels post-update things:
1. Can no longer right-click on cards to use their abilities. You must zoom in on the card. Feels like a bug.
2. STILL haven't fixed joining a game and being able cancel / abort it consistently. This is honestly a mysterious system. Sometimes, you can cancel it, but you can definitely get stuck searching for a long time and must Alt-Tab + Kill the Process. Feels like after a set duration, you should be able to cancel the process.

Why does Tezzeret reveal his plan to Liliana?
Beyond giving the Gatewatch a reason to even know it exists, of course.

Presumably Nicholas needs the Gatewatch to come to him for some convoluted scheme or another, and Tezz is just there to bait them in.

That, or Nicki and Tezzi have both just gotten really bad at their jobs.

duxstar

I need the pro tour to happen so people can stop telling me copy cat is beatable. Yes if you play x bad cards and they draw poorly you can win. Yes if you sideboard 10 cards you can beat the combo. If your in black you do have MORE answers.

The problem is the playstyle it promotes and the hands that you need to keep in order to beat it.

If you have no creatures turn 3 and the opponent isnt in black then turn 3 you play saheeli, if not you sit back and play the control game.

I've played decks with the combo. The answer is you just sit on saheeli if you aren't pressured you uptick her sculpting your hand until they Tap out and then go for the combo. Yes the pieces don't always come together but it's consistent enough to be a problem. If you take the combo pieces, you just ping them down and let torrential gearhulks finish the job.

I don't know I'm on a super Aggro deck now , with Greenbelt rampages, since the r/u/w decks have a hard time dealing with 4 toughness creatures

I need the pro tour to happen so people can stop telling me copy cat is beatable.

I agree. I have no dog in this race but I do have a weird desire to see the Copy Cat deck dominate. Like, really badly. I hope it crushes the Pro Tour and the conversation around it. Not because I want to see Wizards or Magic with egg on their face... My worry is the Pro Tour teams will have meta'd themselves out of the deck being "that" good, right?

What gives me hope is how difficult the sideboard seems to be against the deck... I am looking forward to the first SCG Open (I hope with Sully and Cedric) to see how it does in a field of weirdos and on camera :)

Ashodin

I agree. I have no dog in this race but I do have a weird desire to see the Copy Cat deck dominate. Like, really badly. I hope it crushes the Pro Tour and the conversation around it. Not because I want to see Wizards or Magic with egg on their face... My worry is the Pro Tour teams will have meta'd themselves out of the deck being "that" good, right?

What gives me hope is how difficult the sideboard seems to be against the deck... I am looking forward to the first SCG Open (I hope with Sully and Cedric) to see how it does in a field of weirdos and on camera :)

This is the problem with WotC looking at the PT for results - FNMs and PPTQs are going to be all over this deck because of its "I win" combo. So even if you don't see it on camera at the PT (which you will, but a sliver of a percentage because lol marketing) it will be ubiquitous after AER goes legal this Friday.

This is the problem with WotC looking at the PT for results - FNMs and PPTQs are going to be all over this deck because of its "I win" combo. So even if you don't see it on camera at the PT (which you will, but a sliver of a percentage because lol marketing) it will be ubiquitous after AER goes legal this Friday.

When that happens, I have to think Wizards will still ban it. The new Banned List article specifically stated they'd look at MTGO results in the weeks after the Pro Tour and that the PT is a bad reference due to self-metaing.

Magic Story - Breaking Points
* Skysovereign has fallen, but it will still take some time to break through the siege around the Spire.
* Gideon merely wants to take out the Planar Bridge, but Liliana insists on taking this opportunity to kill Tezzeret.
* Saheeli, Pia, and Rashmi unveil the Hope of Ghirapur, which will unload an electric burst near the Planar Bridge, destroying it. However, they need to take out a turret guarding the Spire, and find a way to distract Tezzeret.
* Liliana volunteers for both, but Gideon turns her down. He suggests that Jace could do something to Tezzeret's mind instead, but Liliana insists that's a bad idea. Eventually, Gideon relents and lets Liliana confront him alone, but asks her to explore every option before killing him.

* Pia's group touches ground and receives a payload from Oviya Pashiri.
* Chandra's group is on the Heart of Kiran. She and Saheeli deflect attacks on the ship. Chandra suggests she joins the Gatewatch, but she's more focused on helping Kaladesh now.
* They hear odd noises, and Chandra goes to investigate. She finds Dovin Baan messing around with the Hope of Ghirapur, destroying its bomb. She attacks him, but he planeswalks away.
* Pia's group unleashes gremlins on the turret, destroying it.
* With no other option, Chandra and Gideon decide to ride the Hope of Ghirapur to the Bridge and do something there themselves.

One thing I do like about the Kaladesh stories is the frequent use of actual creatures and spells from the cards, such as Release the Gremlins here. MaRo said we could expect more of this in the future.

Santiako

As bad as Dovin might be, the finalist deck of PT Kaladesh had 2 in the mainboard. That's accomplishing most that most planeswalkers :p

One thing I do like about the Kaladesh stories is the frequent use of actual creatures and spells from the cards, such as Release the Gremlins here. MaRo said we could expect more of this in the future.
It does make the story spotlight cards a bit weird though.
Dovin can't hold a candle to Tibalt. I can't want for the inevitable Tibalt the Mindsculptor we're going to get to make things right.
Tibalt was utterly pointless, he was a footnote of Innistrad. I love his design, I owned half a dozen at some point for the art alone but his personality is non existent. The most he has is a short back story.
Tamiyo was similar but her card was good so that rectified it a bit, also she's from Kamigawa which already makes her better than a majority of the cast.
As bad as Dovin might be, the finalist deck of PT Kaladesh had 2 in the mainboard. That's accomplishing most that most planeswalkers :p
He might also be the first Planeswalker who got to ult and lost on camera.

OnPoint

Tibalt was utterly pointless, he was a footnote of Innistrad. I love his design, I owned half a dozen at some point for the art alone but his personality is non existent. The most he has is a short back story.
Tamiyo was similar but her card was good so that rectified it a bit, also she's from Kamigawa which already makes her better than a majority of the cast.

You take that back!

You take that back!
Take what back? Here is Tibalt's whole story.

Mad scientist. Experiments on kidnapped people. Experiment goes bad -> half devil. People come knocking with a nice pitchfork and torches witch hunt. He runsPWs away.

What is it with Innistrad and inconsequential PWs? Tibalt, Tamiyo v1 and now Arlinn Kord all were footnotes to the plane's story.

That was funny. His ultimate was completely pointless lol

Imagine he had a real card in its place. Maybe he wouldn't have been run out of win conditions in his deck.
Playing against all the jeskai control decks post PT there was no better feeling, than when they tapped a bunch of mana just to play Dovin Baan. Usually meant you could resolve at least one spell that far outvalued Baan.

OnPoint

Take what back? Here is Tibalt's whole story.

Mad scientist. Experiments on kidnapped people. Experiment goes bad -> half devil. People come knocking with a nice pitchfork and torches witch hunt. He runsPWs away.

What is it with Innistrad and inconsequential PWs? Tibalt, Tamiyo v1 and now Arlinn Kord all were footnotes to the plane's story.

Oh yeah? Then how did he get a Duel Deck with Sorin? Hmmm?

I am honestly SUPER curious to find out what they have planned for him

Oh yeah? Then how did he get a Duel Deck with Sorin? Hmmm?

I am honestly SUPER curious to find out what they have planned for him
Oh apparently he returned every now and then and confronted Sorin once. That's it, not even a mention how the fight ended.
I didn't see that match, but his ultimate seems pretty good to me. That player must have been really behind by that point, at which point a lot of Planeswalker ults might not do enough.
It was 2 control decks answering threats 1 for 1 for 2 hours, his ultiamte doesn't do much when both players have 10+ lands and basically no board. Looking at the decklists Shoota must have played very well and have better answers considering he had much fewer win conditions in his 75.

I didn't see that match, but his ultimate seems pretty good to me. That player must have been really behind by that point, at which point a lot of Planeswalker ults might not do enough.

Go watch the match. It was in consequential. And largely because as dovin is building to his kit, he's gaining you no advantage, just stalling. If his plus and minus were switched, he'd be playable, and his ult would be oppression after several turns of card advantage, i.e. good. If I needed a walker in blue and white to fill dovin's job, I'd just pick jace.

Here is my esper control list. Sideboard is still super iffy.

Lots of questions I think you have to ask yourself here. The white splash might not be worth not being able to cast Grasp on turn 2-3. You're playing a pretty low land count for a control deck and your cheap card draw is pretty weak, you're going to spend a lot of early turns playing artifacts that don't affect the board in hopes of drawing your 4th-5th land. You're also playing a lot of cards that lose you life in a somewhat clunky deck that could prove to be a liability.

Furthermore, you have some tension between your artifact synergies, torrential gearhulk and your planeswalkers. The more artifacts and tap out cards you play over instants, the worse gearhulk gets.

Furthermore, there's not a lot of point in playing Rebuke if you don't have any artifacts you can drop on turn one, and it's the sort of card that loses a lot of value in the late game out of a control deck.

Personally I'd cut white altogether and decide if you want to be a tap out control deck or play at instant speed.

Supast4r

Anyone else think Thoughtseize sitting at about $11 a piece seems low?

No. It was mass printed in standard, it doesn't see as much play in modern due to the aggressive strats, the people who have it in legacy have it already, etc. It will steadily go up but the price isn't super low imho.

Damn, they ain't playing around with MTGO anymore. Any software devs care to explain what they can do with this many personnel?

Make a decent game? They hired actual videogame industry veterans to run the Magic Digital Next team and now seem willing to actually hire for it the way you hire for an actual videogame development team. This still isn't actually that many positions, though we know they've also been staffing MDN up for a year or so.

And yes, while the content is likely to veer closer to MTGO (in that it'll aim to be actual digital Magic, not a weird subset) the visual presentation is probably going to pull a lot from Duels (and, cough, Hearthstone), which means people to actually work on creating cool visual effects.

Bandini

I mean yeah, I see he's in a few decks, but $50? Man. It's such a huge jump in just a few weeks. I hate this market sometimes.

He's great in Commander as well. I expect him to drop a bit but not too much. Conspiracy 2 wasn't exactly a high volume set so there's very few of him in the wild.

Hopefully they reprint him at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom