• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";228681642]Lots of questions I think you have to ask yourself here. The white splash might not be worth not being able to cast Grasp on turn 2-3. You're playing a pretty low land count for a control deck and your cheap card draw is pretty weak, you're going to spend a lot of early turns playing artifacts that don't affect the board in hopes of drawing your 4th-5th land. You're also playing a lot of cards that lose you life in a somewhat clunky deck that could prove to be a liability.

Furthermore, you have some tension between your artifact synergies, torrential gearhulk and your planeswalkers. The more artifacts and tap out cards you play over instants, the worse gearhulk gets.

Furthermore, there's not a lot of point in playing Rebuke if you don't have any artifacts you can drop on turn one, and it's the sort of card that loses a lot of value in the late game out of a control deck.

Personally I'd cut white altogether and decide if you want to be a tap out control deck or play at instant speed.[/QUOTE]

thank you for the feed back, ill revise my list for sure.

I wanna an artifact tezz control. so I guess I can stay in UB.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'll stop playing it when it stops working
wtzgU.gif

Wulfric

Baseless speculation time: Modern Masters 2017 Edition!

The set is only 8 weeks away, but why wait to guess which bulk mythic you're going to open? Each Modern Masters so far has 15 mythic slots, and I don't see why that wouldn't be the case this time.

1. Liliana of the Veil
  2. Tarmogoyf
  3. Linvala, Keeper of Silence
  4. Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
  5. Through the Breach
  6. Azusa, Lost But Seeking
  7. Damnation
  8. Voice of Resurgence
  9. Olivia Voldaren
  10. Goblin Guide
  11. Ancestral Vision
  12. Karn Liberated
  13. Ajani Vengeant
  14. Engineered Explosives
  15. Chalice of the Void

... On second thought, I probably shouldn't be developing sets. Dat EV... also the color's aren't balance at all. >.<

edit: Put in Koth of the Hammer instead of Goblin Guide. Oops.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My guesses:

1. Liliana of the Veil
2. Griselbrand
3. Tarmogoyf
4. Scapeshift
5. Past in Flames
6. Through the Breach
7. Ancestral Vision
8. Vendilion Clique
9. Linvala, Keeper of Silence
10. Archangel of Thune
11. Karn Liberated
12. Voice of Resurgence
13. Geist of St. Traft
14. Mox Opal
15. Wurmcoil Engine

OnPoint

My guesses:

1. Liliana of the Veil
2. Griselbrand
3. Tarmogoyf
4. Scapeshift
5. Past in Flames
6. Through the Breach
7. Ancestral Vision
8. Vendilion Clique
10. Archangel of Thune
11. Karn Liberated
12. Voice of Resurgence
13. Geist of St. Traft
14. Mox Opal
15. Wurmcoil Engine

I won't nitpick this... except I don't think they'll do 'Goyf this year, and Geist is feel-bad considering they just Duel Deck'd it. I could see Craterhoof in the 'Goyf slot and maybe another 'walker in the Geist slot.

I also fear they'll bump Snapcaster up to mythic, but really hope they don't. Also wish they'd get more Blood Moons and Goblin Guides out there, but at rare please.

Wulfric

My guesses:

1. Liliana of the Veil
2. Griselbrand
3. Tarmogoyf
4. Scapeshift
5. Past in Flames
6. Through the Breach
7. Ancestral Vision
8. Vendilion Clique
10. Archangel of Thune
11. Karn Liberated
12. Voice of Resurgence
13. Geist of St. Traft
14. Mox Opal
15. Wurmcoil Engine

That list makes more sense knowing WotC likes to print some "dud" cards in mythic slots. Personally I'd like to see Goblin Guide and Snapcaster Mage at rare. Double faced cards like Huntmaster are probably a no-go, due to the printing process and the mechanic being Innistrad exclusive.

I'm also being cynical and assuming Noble Hierarch isn't getting another reprint. I kinda regret selling them tbqh.

Angry Grimace

I won't nitpick this... except I don't think they'll do 'Goyf this year, and Geist is feel-bad considering they just Duel Deck'd it. I could see Craterhoof in the 'Goyf slot and maybe another 'walker in the Geist slot.

I also fear they'll bump Snapcaster up to mythic, but really hope they don't. Also wish they'd get more Blood Moons and Goblin Guides out there, but at rare please.

I wouldn't be surprised by Olivia Voldaren, either.

My guesses:

1. Liliana of the Veil
2. Griselbrand
3. Tarmogoyf
4. Scapeshift
5. Past in Flames
6. Through the Breach
7. Ancestral Vision
8. Vendilion Clique
10. Archangel of Thune
11. Karn Liberated
12. Voice of Resurgence
13. Geist of St. Traft
14. Mox Opal
15. Wurmcoil Engine

I could see this being the list,all things considered. Not entirely sold on Past in Flames/Griselbrand/Scapeshift, but it works.

Snapcaster is probably rare, but flip cards might throw a wrench in everything. I'm kind of hoping for a Thalia Got Reprint, because her foil is stupid high.

If they continue their trend of trying to "push" a budget deck like they did in Eternal Masters(where they pushed Legacy D&T as the cheap option) I have to wonder what they'd do for MM2017

Also, I don't care if the rest of the set is shit, just give me a reprint of Cavern of Souls, Horizon Canopy, Aether Vial, and path. None of these should be as expensive as what they are.

Angry Grimace

Bold prediction: Cat Combo will be completely out of control oppressive and will crater Standard to the point events will stop firing even for FNM.

Trust me, whether the deck is meaningfully the best deck in the format or not doesn't matter. The play pattern to get around it requires more skill than the average FNM player is willing to deal with and it massively punishes even slight errors in judgment.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Bold prediction: Cat Combo will be completely out of control oppressive and will crater Standard to the point events will stop firing even for FNM.

Trust me, whether the deck is meaningfully the best deck in the format or not doesn't matter. The play pattern to get around it requires more skill than the average FNM player is willing to deal with and it massively punishes even slight errors in judgment.

My LGS canceled Standard FNM a couple of weeks ago for the foreseeable future.

So what are the absolute must-have, can't possibly skip in any remotely reasonable setlist cards for MM3? Snapcaster and Lili, certainly. Cavern of Souls? What else is that much of a slam dunk?

okay sure, but if this is as true as you say i don't understand why you keep saying it instead of letting reality speak for itself and then linking back to your posts from right after the spoiler.

I don't see how this is that bold of an idea, all things considered. As Aidan said above, Yellow jacket's had issue even getting it to fire, and from Nelson's comments on Tap-Tap-Concede they're not alone in having issues. He mentioned that everyone has seen declined attendance since Origins.

While Victoria is an exception (Canadian Highlander/Limited are huge here), I'd still be concerned to see it completely die off if it's anywhere close to as bad as you suggest.

Angry Grimace

So what are the absolute must-have, can't possibly skip in any remotely reasonable setlist cards for MM3? Snapcaster and Lili, certainly. Cavern of Souls? What else is that much of a slam dunk?

okay sure, but if this is as true as you say i don't understand why you keep saying it instead of letting reality speak for itself and then linking back to your posts from right after the spoiler.

It's the difference between it being the best deck in the format to an oppressive degree (which it might be, but that's just my guess based on subjective play with untuned decks) and it being bannable even if its not oppressively good at high levels of play.

There's a large difference in play skill between Pro Tour or GP Top 8 people and random schmo's at FNM. When your opponent plays a Turn 3 Planeswalker and the correct pattern of play is to not play your 4 drop because you might lose the next turn, that's basically a Fun Police deck. That's a prescription for people to leave and go play another game that isn't unfair.

Ashodin

I have a sneaking suspicion that highlander is huge there in Victoria because it's cheap and easy to get into. That it's a duel format makes it faster too.

Down here in the US southeast, commander is big because it's cheap to get into, and we love our social experiences.

Firemind

I force mono red, someone else is taking all the red cards

I force reanimator, someone else is taking all the reanimate cards

How is this even possible

aidan

I have a sneaking suspicion that highlander is huge there in Victoria because it's cheap and easy to get into. That it's a duel format makes it faster too.

Down here in the US southeast, commander is big because it's cheap to get into, and we love our social experiences.

It's because Canadian Highlander was created in Victoria.

I'd bet money on Aether Vial and/Horizon Canopy. There's no need for Horizon Canopy to cost the same as Cavern, and Vial is $40 is for a card that sees play in one tier 2 deck and a bunch of lower decks

Angry Grimace

I'd bet money on Aether Vial and/Horizon Canopy. There's no need for Horizon Canopy to cost the same as Cavern, and Vial is $40 is for a card that sees play in one tier 2 deck and a bunch of lower decks

I'm skeptical they want to print much in the way of mana fixing lands in reprint sets. The only time they ever have is Vintage Masters, which was a MTGO only set that had approximately a million cards in it.

Eh, I think it's just because it was a local thing (you know, Canadian Highlander) and had traction there before Commander really blew up huge.

The format isn't anything amazingly different, or anything. The points list is kind of an interesting idea that's not particularly well-executed, but probably doesn't even matter to the vast majority of players.

red13th

I don't think they will reprint cards that were rare in post-mythic sets as mythics. It's something they haven't done yet and it would be really shitty. So I think Snappy/Chalice/EE/Cavern would be rares. Noble Hierarch was pretty expensive and was a rare.
At least I hope so, even though I don't need anything important from MM17 outside of maybe Horizon Canopy so idgaf if they did upgrade those to mythic.

aidan

I don't think they will reprint cards that were rare in post-mythic sets as mythics. It's something they haven't done yet and it would be really shitty. So I think Snappy/Chalice/EE/Cavern would be rares. Noble Hierarch was pretty expensive and was a rare.
At least I hope so, even though I don't need anything important from MM17 outside of maybe Horizon Canopy so idgaf if they did upgrade those to mythic.

Force of Will went from Uncommon -> Mythic.

Ashodin

It's because Canadian Highlander was created in Victoria.

Eh, I think it's just because it was a local thing (you know, Canadian Highlander) and had traction there before Commander really blew up huge.

The format isn't anything amazingly different, or anything. The points list is kind of an interesting idea that's not particularly well-executed, but probably doesn't even matter to the vast majority of players.

I already know this. I'm referring to the reason why it's STILL popular. I think it's also because of how cheap it is to get into, instead of say Standard.

It's funny because if you go up there and ask around for "Standard? Modern? Games? Guys?" everyone will look at you funny and slap you around with a 100 card deck.

charlequinny said:
modern mastorz

On MM2017, I honestly couldn't tell you (or rather care). The cards in it only excite me if they're stuff I don't have yet, which granted is a majority of cards that could appear, I just don't have a real "list" of what I want beyond say, Cavern of Souls for my EDH tribal decks.

I already know this. I'm referring to the reason why it's STILL popular. I think it's also because of how cheap it is to get into, instead of say Standard.

It's funny because if you go up there and ask around for "Standard? Modern? Games? Guys?" everyone will look at you funny and slap you around with a 100 card deck.

Well, I mean, I guess. The competition for it isn't really Standard/Modern, though, it's Commander. They're very nearly identical formats for the average player, and I think Commander probably comes out to be cheaper even when you consider the Point List shenanigans (as color identity in Commander probably drives down the cost of your average decklist more than telling people they can't run a Black Lotus and Time Walk in the same deck).

Like, people in Victoria are probably playing Standard and Modern at the same rate that people elsewhere do, they're just playing more Canadian Highlander in place of Commander.

Angry Grimace

Feels greedy bro.

I played UB for a while. Concoction was great...against emrakul.

I bet that UR emerge deck that top8'd denver is still good.

It feels about as good as that one, except you have a few more options and sometimes get fucked by the mana.

Anybody know how TCGPlayer Direct works? All of the Aether Revolt cards aren't qualified for Direct, enough from Direct qualified vendors, but I'm wondering if that will change once the cards no longer need to be marked as "pre-sale".

Also how on earth has the Atraxa Commander 2016 deck managed to stay so pricey? I thought Wizards was willing to print individual decks to keep them close to MSRP...

red13th

Also, I lied, I need two cards that could be in MM17 but won't, Bribery and Plow Under for modern-frame BB.
Rebecca Guay Path to Exile would be nice too :p

Ashodin

Anybody know how TCGPlayer Direct works? All of the Aether Revolt cards aren't qualified for Direct, enough from Direct qualified vendors, but I'm wondering if that will change once the cards no longer need to be marked as "pre-sale".

Also how on earth has the Atraxa Commander 2016 deck managed to stay so pricey? I thought Wizards was willing to print individual decks to keep them close to MSRP...

It's the clear winner from EDH. It's an Angel, It's Phyrexian, it enables super friends and other strategies... It's the favorite.

I still love Saskia :(

Angry Grimace

Also, I lied, I need two cards that could be in MM17 but won't, Bribery and Plow Under for modern-frame BB.
Rebecca Guay Path to Exile would be nice too :p

I bought a playset of those on Amazon while I was drunk once

They're nice though!

ajf009

So I posted my decklist in the last thread. I was running BW Eldrazi Tron. The deck wasn't consistent enough, and over & over again I heard "add ancient stirrings" so fuck it, I added ancient stirrings. BGW Eldrazi Tron is a thing now.

Creature (16)
4x Eldrazi Displacer
2x Reality Smasher
4x Thought-Knot Seer
2x Wasteland Strangler
2x World Breaker
2x Wurmcoil Engine

Artifact (14)
4x Chromatic Sphere
4x Chromatic Star
4x Expedition Map
2x Relic of Progenitus

Land (19)
3x Cavern of Souls
3x Gemstone Mine
1x Plains
4x Urza's Mine
4x Urza's Power Plant
4x Urza's Tower

Planeswalker (3)
1x Karn Liberated
2x Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Sorcery (4)
4x Ancient Stirrings

Instant (4)
4x Path to Exile

Sideboard (12)
3x Bearer of Silence
2x Dismember
1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1x Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
2x Warping Wail
2x Wasteland Strangler
1x Wurmcoil Engine

Any thoughts? I'm taking it to the next modern night at my lgs, I'm hoping it works

I'm skeptical they want to print much in the way of mana fixing lands in reprint sets.

I don't think there's any inherent principle at work here. They're not gonna print, say, Zendikar fetchlands because they're an entire cycle that can sell a future set on their own, but Horizon Canopy is a weird one-off and is unprintable in most Standard sets due to the weird concept and specific card design.

Angry Grimace

It's preorder season. You will be able to pick your playset up for less than $10 by Spring Break (cause the card probably won't see much Standard play)

It will see lots of play by people buying into hype without realizing it's not modern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom