• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think there's any inherent principle at work here. They're not gonna print, say, Zendikar fetchlands because they're an entire cycle that can sell a future set on their own, but Horizon Canopy is a weird one-off and is unprintable in most Standard sets due to the weird concept and specific card design.

I mean, I get what you're saying but haven't printed Grove or Canopy (both of which see heavy play) in any of the 4 Masters sets yet. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they think they're somehow required to print a full cycle and not just one random land.

A problem with earlier Magic lore is that it isn't very cohesive, and contradicts itself a lot. Plus, over the years, there's been a lot of it. There's a very good site I can link that goes over everything in order, but that will have to be after work.

For most of Magic's history, lore was spread through novels, random articles, and assumptions from cards, but now you can see all of it through online articles, like the one just linked. There's a story archive link in the OP.

Whoops, forgot I made this post. Here's the site I mentioned.

OnPoint

I mean, I get what you're saying but haven't printed Grove or Canopy (both of which see heavy play) in any of the 4 Masters sets yet. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they think they're somehow required to print a full cycle and not just one random land.

Grove did see a printing in From The Vault though. I wouldn't be floored to see them break up that cycle in particular.

Yeef

Now that colorless mana actually matters, I hope they get around to making Nimbus Maze a full cycle. I've always liked the design of it, even though the checklands were generally better in most realistic cases.

178.jpg
225.jpg

I mean, I get what you're saying but haven't printed Grove or Canopy (both of which see heavy play) in any of the 4 Masters sets yet.

I mean, this is true but Horizon Canopy was a $12 card when MMA came out, a $35 card when MM2 came out, and a $65 card now. Grove's spiked a bit less in that time but still crossed a line from "a bit pricey" to "problem card."

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they think they're somehow required to print a full cycle and not just one random land.

They didn't think they had to do this in the Commander decks where it actually made sense, lol, I don't think it's gonna stop them on a Modern Masters set.

Seems very narrow for 4 player EDH. It's probably never going to be a dead card though, so it should be at least ok.

the thing is I never have to worry about card advantage, I have necro sitting in my command zone so if something is too narrow I just discard it. I imagine I'm not going to have the room for it once I include disruptive shoal and force of will but I could see myself cutting forbid from the deck. While card disadvantage is not really a thing either, with how I shape my hand I'll discard counterspells to it anyway.

The other card I'm considering right now is
the caveat being it clashes on paying life with necro.
I'm looking for an option to kill more quickly with Zur. I don't want to go Doomsday Lab Maniac so I'm only left with Empyrial Armor. Which can be pretty slow if I don't have my reliquary tower and I first have to search out a bunch of other enchantments to get my lock going. Given that I might go back to ethereal armor and battle mastery, I should probably cut the animate dead by now, it's value but Zur doesn't really care for value either.

After getting my butt kicked a wealth of testing I've come to the conclusion that metallurgic summonings just does not work in the same standard as Felidar Guardian. Where people maindeck Nahiri. Lastly fuck those who still plays it on the modo beta, which is every single one because CopyCat is dumb and people like making other players miserable.
I've never seen that run in Zur, but I don't really know what's on your deck.
Once I put Greater Auramancy into the deck, the card doesn't make the cut anyway so it's not even really worth a consideration right now.

Jhriad

As Aidan said above, Yellow jacket's had issue even getting it to fire, and from Nelson's comments on Tap-Tap-Concede they're not alone in having issues. He mentioned that everyone has seen declined attendance since Origins.

Yeah, Standard has been on the decline for quite a while now. Unfortunately, it's a confluence factors; the popularity of Modern and it's broader adoption as an FNM format, poor Standard formats, adopting a faster Standard rotation, extremely high Standard prices, and increasing competition from other CCGs & LCGs. It's pretty obvious that WOTC has been trying pretty much everything they can think of to draw in folks with limited success. Maybe going back to the slower rotation will help what ails the format. I'm doubtful but I guess we'll see.

Arthos

Does anyone have any experience selling Magic cards online? I'm looking into selling a Verdant Catacombs but I'm not exactly sure what sites I should be using to do so. If anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it!

OnPoint

Does anyone have any experience selling Magic cards online? I'm looking into selling a Verdant Catacombs but I'm not exactly sure what sites I should be using to do so. If anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it!

I'm not sure about other sites, but I've successfully bought and traded on here with other members several times. If you have interest in doing it here, what version of Verdant Catacombs is it and how much are you looking for it?

Santiako

Just watched the last mini masters episode in SCG and at the end Ross Merriam says that he's well on the way of testing with his team for the Pro Tour and said "hopefully we find a sweet deck or else we'll just throw cats at people" lol.

PT Aether Revolt has all the cards to be like PT Oath of the Gatewatch, where a new deck dominates completely and bannings come shortly after (thankfully this time it'll be a shorter wait).

bigkrev

The easiest option is to Buylist it- most stores are reputable (I've heard bad things about Strike Zone Online but that's it), and after a quick check on MTGPrice, CardKingdom is the best price at $42. Just a note on Cardkingdom- they are strict graders! Make sure your card is actually NM if you don't want to get a reduced price!

You can always sell on Ebay, but just remember you will be paying fees, and Ebay will NEVER side with you over the buyer if their is a dispute

Arthos

I'm not sure about other sites, but I've successfully bought and traded on here with other members several times. If you have interest in doing it here, what version of Verdant Catacombs is it and how much are you looking for it?

Never thought about selling it here. It's from the Zendikar set and it's a foil. Not sure how much I'd really try to sell it for.

The easiest option is to Buylist it- most stores are reputable (I've heard bad things about Strike Zone Online but that's it), and after a quick check on MTGPrice, CardKingdom is the best price at $42. Just a note on Cardkingdom- they are strict graders! Make sure your card is actually NM if you don't want to get a reduced price!

You can always sell on Ebay, but just remember you will be paying fees, and Ebay will NEVER side with you over the buyer if their is a dispute

I'll look into Cardkingdom then! Hadn't heard about that one. Are there any sites that allow you to sell the card yourself vs. selling it to an online store?

I've thought about selling on eBay but those very concerns have stopped me from doing so. I know a local card shop buys cards but a friend of mine told me that they only give out store credit.

Wulfric

What would be a good deck to take to a standard PPTQ tomorrow? You know, now that B/W flash and Aetherworks have taken hit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Never thought about selling it here. It's from the Zendikar set and it's a foil. Not sure how much I'd really try to sell it for.

I'll look into Cardkingdom then! Hadn't heard about that one. Are there any sites that allow you to sell the card yourself vs. selling it to an online store?

I've thought about selling on eBay but those very concerns have stopped me from doing so. I know a local card shop buys cards but a friend of mine told me that they only give out store credit.

TCG mid is like $150 on a foil Catacombs, but I'd expect to get about 2/3 of that in a private sale. The "mid" prices aren't usually what a private seller can get.

What would be a good deck to take to a standard PPTQ tomorrow? You know, now that B/W flash and Aetherworks have taken hit.

Aetherworks Cats or Mardu Vehicles.

Angry Grimace

This Grixis Emerge deck is the most fun I've had in Standard in a while, but goddamn does the mana suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

I just don't see how you run the deck without Kozilek's Return, but the red just hampers your ability to do as much as you'd like.

It's a sitewide rule. You have to post 9 non-promotional pieces of content (links, comments, etc) for every 1 promotional piece. He posted too many of his own videos and got banned.

Ashodin

It's a sitewide rule. You have to post 9 non-promotional pieces of content (links, comments, etc) for every 1 promotional piece. He posted too many of his own videos and got banned.

yep I thought I had posted enough comments to get away with onnnnnnnnnnne more video link but nope.

It's hard to get noticed :/

Alright, shower and heading to the LGS to get boxes of AER. Wish me luck on pulls! (I will be pulling some on my own, then a whole fuckton with my wife later tonight)

Wulfric

Yeah, you should be able to get at least $100 out of it in N/M condition. I've had good experiences with Card Kingdom; good buylist pricing but super strict grading. The high end MTG facebook group is pretty good as well.

Bandini

I'm watching Kenji stream and... how is there not a Magic stream where you can see drunk people play Magic?

I've been thinking about streaming, I just take exponentially longer amounts of time to make decisions depending on how buzzed I am. Don't know how much fun that would be for the viewer

That's why you don't play too many creatures in mono red, Kenji. Too little outs.

Yep, becomes very susceptible to sweepers too. I'm starting to value bigger body creatures the more I play. Ashenmoor Gouger is a beast. Sarkhan, Dragonspeaker has impressed me quite a bit lately as well. There aren't a ton of flying creatures in the cube and the indestructible makes it dodge a lot of removal.

Firemind

I've been thinking about streaming, I just take exponentially longer amounts of time to make decisions depending on how buzzed I am. Don't know how much fun that would be for the viewer
I actually make faster decisions when drunk, but then I'm like I've made a huge mistake. Oh god so many F4s without playing a land.

Yep, becomes very susceptible to sweepers too. I'm starting to value bigger body creatures the more I play. Ashenmoor Gouger is a beast. Sarkhan, Dragonspeaker has impressed me quite a bit lately as well. There aren't a ton of flying creatures in the cube and the indestructible makes it dodge a lot of removal.
Yeah Stormbreath Dragon is ace because it dodges the white removal and flyers.

Angry Grimace

I'm surprised it took this long for Tezzeret to eclipse Ajani in price given that Tezzeret is a lot better than Ajani is. (well I suppose I haven't been looking at prices, but last I looked Tezz was cheaper) That isn't even saying that Tezzeret is great, but the deck that wants Tezzeret REALLY wants Tezzeret, whereas the deck that wants Ajani is apparently looking for a win-more card.

Also, the Pro Tour/competitive team-based stuff is fucking gross and WOTC needs to stop encouraging it.

Ashodin

So uh

This thing happened

engineered-explosives-foil-p246521-226558_medium.jpg

I had a strange feeling I would regret not opening the rest of the box my wife wanted just eight packs out of... And sure enough

Angry Grimace

My sideboard is garbage. Halp

Edit: I changed it around a little since it was just random cards before. It's still a little random. Oh, and now I'm gonna try the Boxmover because IDK seems better than Scrap Trawler doing basically nothing but blocking.

Deck: UB Tezzeret
u.gif
b.gif

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
4 Concealed Courtyard
1 Inventors' Fair
4 Island
1 Plains
4 Spire of Industry
4 Swamp

//Spells
1 Battle at the Bridge
4 Cogworker's Puzzleknot
4 Fatal Push
3 Metallic Rebuke
4 Renegade Map
4 Servo Schematic
4 Tezzeret the Schemer

//Creatures
4 Contraband Kingpin
4 Herald of Anguish
4 Merchant's Dockhand
2 Scrap Trawler

//Sideboard
1 Metallic Rebuke
3 Reverse Engineer
1 Battle at the Bridge
2 Noxious Gearhulk
3 Bastion Inventor
1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
2 Negate
2 Yahenni's Expertise

Display deck statistics

Goblin Test Pilot is now a Pilot

Latest Developments - Aiming at Modern
* Aether Revolt intentionally included a lot of Modern cards.
* They don't build Modern decks to test, but they check to make sure there aren't any hard to disrupt two card combos (lololololololol) and such.
* Revolt cards were favored for pushing, because they were much easier to trigger with fetchlands than anything in Standard. So yes, they know Renegade Rallier can bring back a fetchland.
* Fatal Push was made to give black stronger removal in Modern, to combat Path to Exile.
* They feel the Expertise cards will be fine with the no mana suspend cards, since you still need them in your hand.

I always felt sort of weird about the "non-land cards" (now "spells") specifier on Omniscience/Tamiyo ult.

Like, what, are you worried they're going to go infinite due to playing multiple lands in the turn? It's Omniscience. If they're playing it you can safely assume the game's about to go full nuts anyway, how much value was there even in making sure they weren't doing it with land drops?

At least the new standardized language isn't wasting card space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom