• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

LOL, they upshifted Snapcaster to Mythic
C5w6WKFWYAEJu8w.jpg

Are you fucking kidding me, WOTC?

Santiako

You guys expecting Snapcaster Mage at rare, are you for real?

I don't care for that art at all.

This is literally the first time they've made a rare from the mythic era into a mythic in booster products. So naturally we were all expecting them to keep it at rare.

Tunoku

Really bummed out about that one. How is this gonna affect the price? No Delver deck for me I guess. Should start picking up cards for Dredge.

OnPoint

Snapcasters are only 40 bucks already? I guess I just had that in my head as an 80 buck card, in which case Mythic made sense.
Slow tick down over the last year or so. Probably due to the inevitability of this printing. It'll probably be up to 50-60 in a year or so.

red13th

greedy shitheads, they also change the stupid Tiago Chan artwork so I HAVE to get a new one to boot. I hate WotC right now.

Jhriad

Pretty much everyone was. This is the first time they've upshifted a Mythic-era Rare in a set like this. Snapcaster isn't exactly busted in Limited so shifting it to Mythic on that reasoning doesn't stand either. It sets an ugly precedent moving forward.

Snapcasters are only 40 bucks already? I guess I just had that in my head as an 80 buck card, in which case Mythic made sense.

They're $40 because blue isn't seeing a ton of play in Modern and the certainty of a Rare reprint was being baked into the price. Unless this print run is massive, we might see Snapcaster back in that $60+ range in the next year. This also opens up the possibility of upshifting pretty much any rare of real constructed value to Mythic to preserve reprint equity which is pretty gross. Imagine where Noble Hierarch would be if they'd upshifted that.

I called Bonfire. It's less of a feels bad to open then Comet Storm, so that's a plus. Still will make for some swingy ass games in Limited though

Also, fuck that Snapcaster shift, because that's not going to help the price at all. Granted, the theory (that each color gets a high priced Mythic see Goyf/Clique/Norn) makes sense there, but it's still kind of shitty.

bigkrev

I don't care for that art at all.

I'm pretty sure there is an article somewhere on DailyMTG where they explained why Snapcaster was a Rare and not a Mythic back when it was release

This also opens up the possibility of upshifting pretty much any rare of real constructed value to Mythic to preserve reprint equity which is pretty gross.

I mostly think it's a little silly that people thought this was off the table. The Masters sets already had rarity as a proxy for new aftermarket supply (like, there's no world where Tarmogoyf is a mythic just purely on its standalone merits) and there was no good reason for them to hamstring themselves on that forever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I get really angry when cards printed in the Mythic Era get upshifted to Mythic from Rare
The first time it's happened to a card printed at Rare in the Mythic era.

I mostly think it's a little silly that people thought this was off the table. The Masters sets already had rarity as a proxy for new aftermarket supply (like, there's no world where Tarmogoyf is a mythic just purely on its standalone merits) and there was no good reason for them to hamstring themselves on that forever.

Well I mean, its an asshole move, for lack of a better word. The only other card I'd expect them to do it on is Stoneforge Mystic but for whatever reason it wasn't in EMA.

I called Bonfire. It's less of a feels bad to open then Comet Storm, so that's a plus. Still will make for some swingy ass games in Limited though

Also, fuck that Snapcaster shift, because that's not going to help the price at all. Granted, the theory (that each color gets a high priced Mythic see Goyf/Clique/Norn) makes sense there, but it's still kind of shitty.

I mean, Comet Storm was ridiculously swingy too, but Bonfire is even worse.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
greedy shitheads, they also change the stupid Tiago Chan artwork so I HAVE to get a new one to boot. I hate WotC right now.

The RPTQ one has better art than this too, even if its just a random Brazilian soccer player

Hero

I mean, it would've been nice if Snapcaster Mage were rare but it was screaming mythic. Tarmo was a rare back in the day too, as well as Dark Confidant. Yeah, it's before mythic existed, but come on now. Wizards isn't a charity here.

red13th

Well to take the disappointment off Snappy I could use a Path to Exile reprint with Rebecca Guay art. Make it mythic idgaf now

red13th

number crunch is pretty sparse right now but yes. only two black cards were spoiled.

there's exactly one slot for Noble Hierarch. between Might of Old Krosa and Primal Command.

Rafy

So, is this a good starting point for someone that wants to get into Modern? All my friends had been begging me to join them but I wasn't about to spend 400+ Euro for a basic deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom