• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

So, is this a good starting point for someone that wants to get into Modern? All my friends had been begging me to join them but I wasn't about to spend 400+ Euro for a basic deck

If anything buy your Khans fetches and shocklands asap.

Santiako

So, is this a good starting point for someone that wants to get into Modern? All my friends had been begging me to join them but I wasn't about to spend 400+ Euro for a basic deck

Buying boosters is not a good way, but if you know what deck you want to build prices will be lower for the next couple of months thanks to the new inlfux of cards. Still, you'll need 400-500 euros at least if you are building from zero.

Well I mean, its an asshole move, for lack of a better word.

I mean, sure, I guess, but someone really is sitting there doing math on reprint equity when they finalize one of these sets. Bumping this drops its EV contribution a bunch and maybe lets them squeeze something else people want into the set somewhere as well. I could believe maybe this particular case was the wrong call but it's not necessarily worse for the set as a whole the way the same kind of move is in a non-reprint set.

Rafy

If anything buy your Khans fetches and shocklands asap.

Buying boosters is not a good way, but if you know what deck you want to build prices will be lower for the next couple of months thanks to the new inlfux of cards. Still, you'll need 400-500 euros at least if you are building from zero.

I'd never dream of buying boosters but I am willing to buy the fetches (both the Zendikar and the Khans) along with some other staples to start building a collection at least and then proceed by adding slowly what I need.

Jhriad

I mostly think it's a little silly that people thought this was off the table. The Masters sets already had rarity as a proxy for new aftermarket supply (like, there's no world where Tarmogoyf is a mythic just purely on its standalone merits) and there was no good reason for them to hamstring themselves on that forever.

With valuable reprints coming almost exclusively in Supplemental sets designed for draft, they don't have enough slots to reprint all the cards that go from relatively affordable to moderately or fairly expensive every year. If price becomes the largest factor for Mythics in these sets, unless supply is significantly larger than it has been (which we may not have a good idea about until some time late this year or early next year), the commensurate time it takes for these highly played Mythics to return to pre-reprint pricing could easily outpace the established reprint frequency and/or volume.

From a business perspective it makes sense for WOTC to be more flexible with the rarity of highly sought after cards. It's a conservative method of protecting future set equity, insulating vendors from price volatility introduced by these sets, and in the future if Magic growth slows even further, or worse yet Magic enters a period of negative growth, these shifts will protect the price of the cards to some degree. The thing is, the cards that see the most play and are the most desirable already perform all those functions to some degree from sheer demand. If Magic wants to continue to grow they need to address the problems of accessibility and for constructed formats one of the primary impediments is the price of entry. They're addressing these issues with Standard head-on. Hopefully, this set and other supplemental products begin actually addressing accessibility with a similar fervor.

I'll take the optimistic line and assume that the inclusion of Fetchlands at Rare means that the print run won't just be slightly larger than previous Masters sets but significantly larger. If that's the case, a few cards upshifted to preserve equity makes a considerable amount of sense for WOTC and the broader community. We'll just have to wait and see.

Santiako

xftuni1.png

IoK at uncommon! Hell yeah!

RcQyuUi.png

And Path! Hell yeah x2!

noquarter

I'm sort of surprised by the upshift to Mythic for Snapcaster, at the same time kind of thought they would. Curious what the will say the reasoning is (of course they will say for the draft environment, but maybe they will be honest)

red13th

I'm surprised how tame they were with mythics this time around. MM15 was Mythic lottery, either you opened a mythic and therefore had a useful card or you opened bulk rare with very little in between.
So far they spoiled a lot of great rares plus fetches, and great uncommons too.

I'm surprised how tame they were with mythics this time around. MM15 was Mythic lottery, either you opened a mythic and therefore had a useful card or you opened bulk rare with very little in between.
So far they spoiled a lot of great rares plus fetches, and great uncommons too.

I hope this is an indication that they've learned some lessons from that. I mean, who knows how much chaff will end up in the full list but right now the fears from Domri and Stoic Angel being on a packaging have certainly been largely eased.

I'll take the optimistic line and assume that the inclusion of Fetchlands at Rare means that the print run won't just be slightly larger than previous Masters sets but significantly larger. If that's the case, a few cards upshifted to preserve equity makes a considerable amount of sense for WOTC and the broader community. We'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, this is basically where I'm at, but like you say we'll have to wait and see to a certain degree.

I mean, when you get down to it, an uncommon in a Masters set is about equivalent to a rare in a regular set. :p

I like that they're showcasing some desirable uncommons already, it definitely seems like they got the message about how badly they fumbled that aspect of MM 2015.

If this IS the final MM set, they are going out with a bang.

Oh my God. Seriously this is such a dumb theory I wish people would stop even talking about it.

EDIT: Zur the Enchanter.

C5xWCArUoAAJKDL.jpg

Liliana is 100% in, they can't do this set based on INN/RTR and not reprint Liliana.

Lili is the one card everyone is 100% certain will be in. If she's not the people will lose their shit because it would be one of the most inexplicable moves WotC would have ever made and they've made quite a few.
Wizards has done stranger things, you guys. Like, while she's 99%likely in, there's that 1% of Wizards goofing up.

ultron87

Wizards has done stranger things, you guys. Like, while she's 99%likely in, there's that 1% of Wizards goofing up.

There's always the chance they were all "oh, maybe we can put her in X set" and then didn't, like happened with Damnation, but that seems less likely given their stance of not reprinting super powerful stuff in Standard anymore.

You know what? I'm fine with Snapcaster at Mythic now that Path/Inquisition are confirmed for uncommon. Last thing anyone wants is for Snap+either of those to be running rampant through a limited environment.

I am not fine with the lack of Canopy/Grove, though a reprint of Cavern will earn back all that illwill imo.

Yeah, those are big ones. Kinda can't believe those aren't in.

This one really was probably a direct tradeoff with the ZEN fetches, they really couldn't squeeze in more expensive duals past those. I wouldn't be surprised to see these get blown up in something with a higher print run, honestly.

WotC has actually not ever done anything stranger than skipping LotV in this set would be.

red13th

for lands, there's one slot between Selesnya Guildgate and Simic Guildgate, and maybe before Arcane Sanctum.

EDIT: probably Shimmering Grotto since there's a lot of gold cards.

WotC has actually not ever done anything stranger than skipping LotV in this set would be.
I'd put "Putting Aetherworks Marvel into a standard with Emrakul, The Promised Mindslaver" up there. If we're talking reprintwise, see them missing Inquisition of Kozilek in the one standard set where it makes sense, only to jam it into two draft environments. It's not even like the devoid excuse works, because Ayli literally got a card in that set.

red13th

Love to see prices already dropping, Might of Old Krosa is preordering for $3 on SCG, it was around $10.

Noble Hierarch will soar if not reprinted though, and it's fighting for the same slot as Oracle of Mul Daya, discounting commons-uncommons.

I'd put "Putting Aetherworks Marvel into a standard with Emrakul, The Promised Mindslaver" up there. If we're talking reprintwise, see them missing Inquisition of Kozilek in the one standard set where it makes sense, only to jam it into two draft environments.

One of these is them missing a balance issue which is a completely different thing in every way, and the other one is them choosing not to reprint IoK for Standard balance reasons which tons and tons and tons of people noted as a possibility beforehand.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd put "Putting Aetherworks Marvel into a standard with Emrakul, The Promised Mindslaver" up there. If we're talking reprintwise, see them missing Inquisition of Kozilek in the one standard set where it makes sense, only to jam it into two draft environments. It's not even like the devoid excuse works, because Ayli literally got a card in that set.
It wasn't a Devoid excuse. It was in the Design file. Development took it out because it's basically Thoughtseize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom