• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

C5xj9aTWYAA-rt0.png

Stony Silence with new art/flavour text.

Dude is just basking in the sun.

Also I don't know why people don't believe Rosewater about fetches never being in Amonkhet, if they had been and he didn't want people to know he'd just not answer questions about it.

Also I don't know why people don't believe Rosewater about fetches never being in Amonkhet, if they had been and he didn't want people to know he'd just not answer questions about it.

Yeah. In the many years I've be reading/hearing things from him I can never recall MaRo outright lying about anything. Not answering? Being intentionally vague? Misdirecting? Confused? Sure. Straight up lying? No.

Yeah. In the many years I've be reading/hearing things from him I can never recall MaRo outright lying about anything. Not answering? Being intentionally vague? Misdirecting? Confused? Sure. Straight up lying? No.

Yeah, he's kind of aggressively scrupulous, which makes sense for a person with as much long-term career investment in his public brand as he has.

Dual lands are entirely dictated by Development.

While true, they also told us that with Khans the fetchlands were actually the very first things in the design file, so I would guess if they wanted to do enemy fetches in Standard for big-picture reasons again it'd be a similar situation.

I thought you meant the Flayers not Baubles. Baubles were run before that, not sure how commonly. Enough that I'd be aware of them just starting out in modern at least.
Allied pairs are up next:

Battle Lands - Friendly
Creature Lands - Enemy
Fast Lands - Enemy
Uncommon Duals - Full Cycle
If they had the enemy fetches in Amonkhet, they'd not replace it with an opposite cycle.

Tunoku

I thought you meant the Flayers not Baubles. Baubles were run before that, not sure how commonly. Enough that I'd be aware of them just starting out in modern at least.

If they had the enemy fetches in Amonkhet, they'd not replace it with an opposite cycle.

Yeah, my point is that there was never a plan for fetches in that set

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, he's kind of aggressively scrupulous, which makes sense for a person with as much long-term career investment in his public brand as he has.

While true, they also told us that with Khans the fetchlands were actually the very first things in the design file, so I would guess if they wanted to do enemy fetches in Standard for big-picture reasons again it'd be a similar situation.

Fetchlands were fine in KTK Standard since the pushed colors only really dictated playing 4. So maybe they'd be okay in a shard set.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Allied pairs are up next:

Battle Lands - Friendly
Creature Lands - Enemy
Fast Lands - Enemy
Uncommon Duals - Full Cycle
Technically it should be both since BFZ rotating should have meant both Allied and Enemy duals would rotate which would have just left Shadowlands and Enemy Fastlands.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled them and there's no duals at all.

Angry Grimace

Bring back Shocks or Filters. Shocks are just such an easy design I'm a little surprised they don't use them more.

Angry Grimace

I feel like Noble Hierarch is going to hit $80 if they don't reprint it here.

Card Boy

Banned
Thank fuck for the Ranger of Eos reprint. He is a 10-15 dollar card. Perfect for my tribal Commander deck.

C5wct1aWcAAR0jQ.png

Hey guys, we reprinted an Invitational card with new art! Hope this is the one you wanted!

yes please! Now reprint Field Marshal, Auriok Champion and Darien, King of Kjeldor.

Angry Grimace

I feel like every block I think "Man, this would be a great time to release Filterlands" and they never do it.

Well, it has to be a set with Hybrid mana in it. We haven't had one in a while. Technically Fate Reforged, but that doesn't really count.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled them and there's no duals at all.

There's no way.

Bring back Shocks or Filters. Shocks are just such an easy design I'm a little surprised they don't use them more.

Shocks are like full-art lands or some of these other plane-specific things where the equity is enough that they don't want to start spreading it out until they've burned through enough of it. Shocks were enough to sell packs of RTR/GTC on their own so they probably want to get one more big rush out of them before starting to use them more regularly. (Also they present issues with fetch lands, obviously.)

Filterlands they really should bring back again. I'm guessing they feel like the hybrid aspect is too weird on its own if the set doesn't otherwise use it? Or maybe they don't want to split up one of the cycles that was printed as 10 in one place. Either way, though, I think it's an error.

Angry Grimace

There's no way.

Shocks are like full-art lands or some of these other plane-specific things where the equity is enough that they don't want to start spreading it out until they've burned through enough of it. Shocks were enough to sell packs of RTR/GTC on their own so they probably want to get one more big rush out of them before starting to use them more regularly. (Also they present issues with fetch lands, obviously.)

Filterlands they really should bring back again. I'm guessing they feel like the hybrid aspect is too weird on its own if the set doesn't otherwise use it? Or maybe they don't want to split up one of the cycles that was printed as 10 in one place. Either way, though, I think it's an error.

I don't think its terribly likely either, but having a third set of duals would be weird unless they're strictly taplands like Temples were and obviously the straight up taplands are basically evergreen at this point.

I don't think its terribly likely either, but having a third set of duals would be weird unless they're strictly taplands like Temples were.

They'll still need this set to be providing dual lands after the next rotation. I would probably bet on a Temple-esque always ETBT plus weird mechanic type design though.

Jhriad

yes please! Now reprint Field Marshal, Auriok Champion and Darien, King of Kjeldor.

Auriok Champion really does needs a reprint. Hopefully with better art this time around. It could probably wait for a Commander product though since it's really not seeing a ton of play and is only expensive because of the single, low supply print run.

traveler

Not Wario
I buy that they weren't in Amonkhet. I mean, development hasn't done the best job lately, but putting them in the same environment with Tireless Tracker, Fatal Push, and Rallyer seems like a bad idea.

Wulfric

So, is this a good starting point for someone that wants to get into Modern? All my friends had been begging me to join them but I wasn't about to spend 400+ Euro for a basic deck

If you want to get into modern, it's more economical to buy singles. Luckily this reprint set will drop the prices on many expensive staple cards. Mono red burn is pretty cheap to begin with and is pretty good.

Also, I second OnPoint; get the Khans fetchlands and Ravnica shocklands in the colors you end up choosing. They're pretty much at their low point historically.

EDIT: aw yiss, Grafdigger's Cage reprint. Cheap sideboard cards for everyone!

Wichu

I don't think its terribly likely either, but having a third set of duals would be weird unless they're strictly taplands like Temples were and obviously the straight up taplands are basically evergreen at this point.

I would actually like Temple reprints in Amonkhet. They're on-theme, fairly solid in Standard, and I'd love some Bolas-themed art to replace the Temples in my Bolas deck :)

traveler

Not Wario
I actually like the Megaman version best, stupid arm cannon and all. Baga's artwork is just more appealing to me in general.

Angry Grimace

Auriok Champion really does needs a reprint. Hopefully with better art this time around. It could probably wait for a Commander product though since it's really not seeing a ton of play and is only expensive because of the single, low supply print run.

Auriok Champion has hilarious art, what are you saying

it's a cranky lady in a bikini for no apparent reason who has a random ponytail coming out of her chest.

I believe they prefer not to gendershift reprints now because many non-English translations define a gender in the name.

MeddlingMage.jpg
Image.ashx

Meddling Mage was gendershifted, but it is problematic with other languages.
I believe they prefer not to gendershift reprints now because many non-English translations define a gender in the name.
that's a poor reason and doesn't appear to apply all that firmly
that's the male form on the original printing even for instance.

A_Dang

Regardless of translation issues I really want to see a gender-shifted Auriok Champion with essentially the same art, but just a dude instead.

red13th

With the value bonanza they spoiled today and yesterday I'm expecting no more than two value cards, probably Lily and either Hierarch or Cavern of Souls (but not both). Since Hierarch was in MM2 I'd say Cavern is more likely. After that, bulk rares galore.
Prove me wrong WotC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom