• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
I haven't checked the stream, but do I assume correctly that nearly none of the embalm creatures, aside from maybe a few angels here and there or possibly a hydra in some delirium sideboard or a lonely sphinx in a control deck, see any play?

I haven't checked the stream, but do I assume correctly that nearly none of the embalm creatures, aside from maybe a few angels here and there or possibly a hydra in some delirium sideboard or a lonely sphinx in a control deck, see any play?

Pretty much. There's more people who got super into mediocre Aether Revolt energy theme cards than embalmers. (Though a lot of that is surely because of Marvel.)

Lucario

Update to the MTGO bug awkwardness from earlier:

Lost the replay match, ended 5-4. Appealed the decision, and they said they "didn't consider boardstate".

Previous reimbursement policy was so generous that it just stings to lose 110 play points to a completely unavoidable bug. That's gonna be the end of me sinking money into MTGO.

Violet_0

Banned
Pretty much. There's more people who got super into mediocre Aether Revolt energy theme cards than embalmers. (Though a lot of that is surely because of Marvel.)

hm, with Mardu and Marvel still being the most dominant decks, it sort of looks like Amonkhet doesn't really get enough room to breath yet. The gods, embalm, exert, cycling cards all seem rather underplayed right now

Yeah, he spun the marvel and saw the Worldbreaker that he was clearly going to play or he was dead and yet he shuffled, looked at his hand, shuffled, looked again. Took like a minute to cast the eldrazi. Infuriating.

Based on the fact that he kept a three Ulamog opening hand--full stop, honestly, but particularly in a Marvel deck rather than ramp--I'm going to guess the slow play might not be entirely intentional.

This is kinda cute
67.jpg
90.jpg
33.jpg
258.jpg
69.jpg
46.jpg
oh wait that's even better.

red13th

flash hulk getting pili pala combo and a 1 drop to protect them, next turn make infinite mana play thrasios and win with lab maniac.

I'm sorry I tried making janky Thrasios but I have to accept that I'm a spike and a dick.

you have Mausoleum Wanderer linked not Lab Maniac, with Lab Maniac it makes sense lol

Ashodin

ZkkpjXkh.jpg

4-0 FNM. Gideon and the crew got there. Glorybringer is sick af.

Matchups:

R1: vs. RW Exert (mirror), 2-0
R2: vs. Mono-red Thermo-Alchemist, 2-1
R3: vs. WB Zombies, 2-1
R4: vs. GB Delirium, 2-1

you have Mausoleum Wanderer linked not Lab Maniac, with Lab Maniac it makes sense lol

I mean even without Lab Maniac putting as many untapped lands as you want into play while drawing as many cards as you want and having unlimited blue mana is pretty okay.

You can probably do something with those resources instead of just shitting out your deck to Lab Maniac.

That's deliberate. Untapping is affected by summoning sickness so I have to wait a turn, or at least a couple priorities at the end of someone's turn, to go off. Mausoleum Wanderer or added in an edit later Sylvan Safekeeper + getting a Dryad Arbor I can get with the remaining CMC left over from Hulk. Cursecatcher would also work.

Should have put Lab Maniac at the end anyways even though infinite mana + thrasios illustrates the point.

Ashodin

SB Changeup

-3 Aven Mindcensor (did shit all for me)
+1 Magma Spray (so I can run the 4x)
+2 Sweltering Suns (on the control backfoot I need to use this to wipe the board of x/3s if they're zombies)

ironmang

Anybody here know what, if any, penalty exists for playing in a pptq after you've won one for that season? I'm like 300 points short of 2 byes for next year and most of the events with multipliers are pptqs. There is an Open last weekend of the month that I'll be attending and playing out all rounds including all rounds of the classic if I don't make the cut but that will only get me about halfway there.

Ashodin

Anybody here know what, if any, penalty exists for playing in a pptq after you've won one for that season? I'm like 300 points short of 2 byes for next year and most of the events with multipliers are pptqs. There is an Open last weekend of the month that I'll be attending and playing out all rounds including all rounds of the classic if I don't make the cut but that will only get me about halfway there.

from everything I see you just can't participate.

Players who are already qualified for the RPTQ or the Pro Tour the PPTQ is tied to may not participate.

ironmang

from everything I see you just can't participate.

Ya I'm having trouble seeing what that means. Like if I walk up, hand them money, and give them my DCI number won't it still put me in the event reporter? If I made it to the finals I'd just concede to my opponent so it's not like I'm there to rob an invite lol.

Ashodin

Ya I'm having trouble seeing what that means. Like if I walk up, hand them money, and give them my DCI number won't it still put me in the event reporter? If I made it to the finals I'd just concede to my opponent so it's not like I'm there to rob an invite lol.
I think you'd just be barred or removed after the judges figure out you're there and not supposed to be.

They never showed Lee Shi Tian's drafted deck play out? Wtf, that's amateur hour production. I don't care a bit for limited decks I've not seen the draft of and his UW aggro looked awesome and weird.

Rafy

ZkkpjXkh.jpg

4-0 FNM. Gideon and the crew got there. Glorybringer is sick af.

Matchups:

R1: vs. RW Exert (mirror), 2-0
R2: vs. Mono-red Thermo-Alchemist, 2-1
R3: vs. WB Zombies, 2-1
R4: vs. GB Delirium, 2-1

Can I ask what deck you were running? I am currently looking for a good glorybringer deck to put my copies to good use.

Violet_0

Banned
Can I ask what deck you were running? I am currently looking for a good glorybringer deck to put my copies to good use.

with Giddeon, Glorybringer and Unlicensed Disintegration, I'd say it's very likely Mardu vehicles. Glorybringer isn't really a fixed staple of the deck though

DrArchon

Second draft in a row last night where I was forced to go blue because no one else was taking it and all of the other colors were drying up fast. Went 0-2 though, so maybe I should take the memo and avoid blue as well.

Did manage to do 16 damage in a turn with a Combat Celebrant + Limits of Solidarity, so that was cool. Would've been nice if I hadn't died two turns later, but whatever.

I've played one sealed event and 4 drafts now for Amonkhet. And I really like the format. I think it's so much better than Khaladesh and Aether were. Maybe that's because I haven't played a game of limited without Glorybringer in my deck. Side note; Glorybringer and Rhonas is a pretty sweet Wombo Combo

lol at Fabiano played by 5 colors. What a weird table that must have been to draft at

Tunoku

I've played one sealed event and 4 drafts now for Amonkhet. And I really like the format. I think it's so much better than Khaladesh and Aether were. Maybe that's because I haven't played a game of limited without Glorybringer in my deck. Side note; Glorybringer and Rhonas is a pretty sweet Wombo Combo

lol at Fabiano played by 5 colors. What a weird table that must have been to draft at

Wait, so you managed to have Glorybringer 5 times in a row? You don't deserve to ever get lucky at Magic again lol

Also, Fabiano's deck is extremely sweet. Hope it goes all the way.

EDIT: He just put a Gift of Paradise on Evolving Wilds. God bless him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
with Giddeon, Glorybringer and Unlicensed Disintegration, I'd say it's very likely Mardu vehicles. Glorybringer isn't really a fixed staple of the deck though

It's Ashodin. It's some kind of R/W Aggro.

The UD is the promo for FNM this month.

Seeing pros fuck up Cartouche of Strength makes me cringe every time.

Why do they keep showing the judge calls and arguments on camera.

I think it's good to normalize that interaction. We need to encourage players to call judges more often, and cutting away from it like it's somehow a shameful thing isn't the right way to treat it.

Santiako

Seeing pros fuck up Cartouche of Strength makes me cringe every time.

I think it's good to normalize that interaction. We need to encourage players to call judges more often, and cutting away from it like it's somehow a shameful thing isn't the right way to treat it.

It's just not good content, cut away to another match to show us some more magic.

Santiako

What's there to fuck up? You put it on a dude, that dude fights someone, and if it lives you've got a dude with +1/+1 and trample? I don't see how anyone can fuck it up.

The fight is a may ability. Efro played a pump spell in response to the fight trigger and the other guy made them fight anyway and let only his creature die.

DrArchon

The fight is a may ability. Efro played a pump spell in response to the fight trigger and the other guy made them fight anyway and let only his creature die.

Oh, wow. That's why you gotta pay attention to the cards. You'd think people would really make sure to read the fine print on Cartouche of Strength seeing as it's one of the best commons in the set.

Daedardus

But if the pump spell is in response to the fight trigger, there's not much you can about it though, or am I wrong? You select the trigger when it ETB, it goes on the stack and from thereon it will try to resolve no matter what.

Repgnar

But if the pump spell is in response to the fight trigger, there's not much you can about it though, or am I wrong? You select the trigger when it ETB, it goes on the stack and from thereon it will try to resolve no matter what.

Is that how it works? Reddit was saying after they pump you can just not have them fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom