• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It is. It is elegant, powerful, useful, flavorful. Really one of the top designed cards in the past years. But I never would have expected to creep it up so high. Always thought it would stay at the $5-6 range, but guessed wrong.
My LGS patrons all have a theory Fatal Push is secretly rarer than the other uncommons.

Tagyhag

So I got into the Shandalar game again, hardcore fans have been updating the game and adding new cards which is awesome.

I realize that the game is pretty old but I'm sure some basics still apply and I'd like to play at harder difficulties so I doubt simple Red burning decks won't work anymore.

A few questions:

1. How many lands should I have in relation to my deck size?

2. Should my deck be 60 cards min?

3. Is a single color stronger than 2 or 3 color decks? Is a 5 color deck just insane?

4. What are the best color combinations? Blue/Black seems really powerful.

4. Are artifact-only decks viable at all?

Again, I know the game is of its time (I have no idea what expansion the new cards are from, maybe 2015) but it'd be interesting to get people's opinions. Thanks!

DrArchon

Someone remind me why they designed Marvel so that you cast the creatures for free instead of just put them onto the battlefield? Was it not good enough when you just cheated Ulamog into play and didn't exile two cards?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No shit. How did no one look at that card and think "Wait a minute, didn't we just have a bunch of sets with a bunch of disgustingly powerful creatures that are normally incredibly expensive?"
They haven't been testing anything for Constructed properly as far as I can tell.

There's a reason why Stoddard keeps showing designer files with full on substantive changes where it's obvious other developers don't even know what the original cost of the spell is or was or you see have random requests to lower costs on cards without explanation.

Basically development needs to be redistributed.

My LGS patrons all have a theory Fatal Push is secretly rarer than the other uncommons.

There's an uncommon in every set that is less common than other uncommons because of the printing process, this is a thing that Maro has discussed at length. It's not implausible that fatal push was put in that slot for the set.

Wichu

There's an uncommon in every set that is less common than other uncommons because of the printing process, this is a thing that Maro has discussed at length. It's not implausible that fatal push was put in that slot for the set.

It's a common that gets printed less, not an uncommon. And I'm pretty sure it's always a colourless card to keep colour balance in the packs. IIRC there are two common sheets - most commons are printed 3 times on one of the sheets, but there's one that's printed once on both sheets. That's also the only card it should be possible to open twice in one pack (ignoring foils).

In ROE, they did the opposite - Hand of Emrakul is slightly more common than the other commons, and the set is one card smaller than normal.

kirblar

It's a common that gets printed less, not an uncommon. And I'm pretty sure it's always a colourless card to keep colour balance in the packs.

In ROE, they did the opposite - Hand of Emrakul is slightly more common than the other commons, and the set is one card smaller than normal.
IIRC both Eldrazis are because there's two different sheets involved w/ them being printed 2x on one and 1x on the other and the "lesser common" is still present, but yeah, it's something like that.

Wichu

IIRC both Eldrazis are because there's two different sheets involved w/ them being printed 2x on one and 1x on the other and the "lesser common" is still present, but yeah, it's something like that.

Yeah, I think you're right. I forgot there were two common Eldrazi.

Ashodin

So far the format is looking diverse

8LCpMpg.jpg

Mardu is only on top because the meta is still shaking out

Tunoku

Did we finally play each other? I was on Grixis Control and went 4-2.

We totally did, we even talked about the hapatra deck lol.

Oh sweet, finally! Gonna make sure to cast my Ulamogs next time.

---

Kentaro Yamamoto's luck makes me jealous. I also totally played that Gearhulk version of the deck last week and it went pretty well. Maybe I'll go back to it for Sunday.

Violet_0

Banned
these decks don't look all that exciting tbh

looks like another round of Mardu against Marvel v2 with a sprinkle of zombie decks and R/U snoozefest as a sideshow

Daedardus

This is why you just buy a 4x C/U set for $32-$40 bux every time.

Not bad advice actually, thanks!

It was their plan all along.

They haven't been testing anything for Constructed properly as far as I can tell.

There's a reason why Stoddard keeps showing designer files with full on substantive changes where it's obvious other developers don't even know what the original cost of the spell is or was or you see have random requests to lower costs on cards without explanation.

Basically development needs to be redistributed.

I mean, they even said that Mangehorn was only to counter Aetherworks Marvel, shows how oblivious they were to the copycat combo.

He's just talking about the changing of commons to make the set as-fan smoother.

Man the CGI game is really top notch from WoTC this time around with Amonkhet

That music playing in between matches is making my ears bleed though, wish they could stop playing it over and over again.

Was that TWoo in an advert? His time as an outcast seems to be ending.
Oh sweet, finally! Gonna make sure to cast my Ulamogs next time.

Yeah got pretty lucky, might have to go back to summary dismissal. Counters that annoying sphinx as well.

I've pondered this a couple times already but why was 6 mana Chandra forgotten, she's still supremely powerful and w/o copycat you can tap out again. I've been playing a solid amount of sorceries.

Tunoku

Chandra just seems terrible against Heart of Kiran and Gideon if you don't have ways to protect her. She's probably great against Zombies though.

---

That shot of BDM holding up the phone good God

I'm looking at her as a versatile finisher. When you turn the corner as control you want to be ending the game right away lest they draw into something you can't control and Chandra hits for 6 the turn she comes down. She also murders PWs as a + compared to Sorin's -X, who does see play.

Still can't believe we didn't get an FNM promo of blessed alliance.

We talked about this a little bit before but their current testing strategy involves playing a lot of games and looking at every card at some point, but almost no holistic examinations of a static set -- there's no point where they can play for two weeks with all cards locked, for example, so especially things like CopyCat are easy to miss when cards in the combo are changing at the same time. I suspect this is one of the single biggest factors contributing to the issues they have right now.

Pretty nasty land flood for a deck that runs as fast and light as hoomuns. Life isn't great when you've got to roll out the Needle Spires to have something to do with your mana.

Not sure what these puny Gods are supposed to be doing to begin with, though. Is there a point when this deck turns on, or is it built around hoping your opponent draws 90% lands and still struggling to win?

I dunno, just looks like a "creatures good stuff" pile of jank to me. I'm sure it's decent just on the basis of the good stuff being, well, good stuff, but it feels a bit like a no-hoper deck.

Maybe it sides into something more interesting when it's not playing not-entirely white weenies.

People expected a ton of control. UR, the most popular variant so far, in particular has 0 answers to resolved gods but super²bouncing them with commit.

I've played against RG Gods today with Grixis Control, it was not easy as I essentially had to race with Gearhulks to win.

Tunoku

I don't see a problem with playing a creature good stuff deck if the threats line up well in the meta his team expected. If it can keep up with Mardu you get a slight edge because you're not a known quantity either.

El Topo

People expected a ton of control. UR, the most popular variant so far, in particular has 0 answers to resolved gods but super²bouncing them with commit.

I prefer UW Control in that regard, if only because you have cards like Fumigate as sweepers and Declaration in Stone to remove threats. Arguably not good enough though, as we can see from the meta I guess.
Probably struggles way too much with Vehicles. Not playing Standard, so I can't really say.

Where's BG delirium?
I prefer UW Control in that regard, if only because you have cards like Fumigate as sweepers and Declaration in Stone to remove threats. Arguably not good enough though, as we can see from the meta I guess.
Probably struggles way too much with Vehicles. Not playing Standard, so I can't really say.
What does fumigate kill that sweltering suns misses? Dec in Stone is slow and clunky for a control deck, I'd love to have access to it for Gods and Ulamog but you can not play a sorcery on turn 2, or 3 for that matter, as a control deck.

Unless it's transgress the mind on turn 3, they show you 2 Gideons and you start crying.

El Topo

What does fumigate kill that sweltering suns misses? Dec in Stone is slow and clunky for a control deck, I'd love to have access to it for Gods and Ulamog but you can not play a sorcery on turn 2 as a control deck.

I was more thinking about the lifegain. But yeah, I know, way too slow to deal with the aggressive decks. As for DiS, yeah, if you have to play it on T2 it sucks. There's a reason no one is playing the deck.
I like Blessed Alliance, but obviously not good enough if your opponent has choices.

What the fuck does Bant have that makes it good enough for Aetherworks?

Seriously, I'm blanking on what's the pull to White, especially since all lists I've seen don't run Approach/Bruna.

Santiako

I'm going to watch now today's Pro Tour games. Being able to fast forward through the usual endless ads and dead air should be great.

What the fuck does Bant have that makes it good enough for Aetherworks?

Seriously, I'm blanking on what's the pull to White, especially since all lists I've seen don't run Approach/Bruna.

I'm guessing Cast Out and Fumigate are the big draws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom