• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunoku

I put 3 copies of Flamecaller in my Marvel list for tomorrow. Get hype!

I should go to bed, the tournament starts in 9 hours

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Always Watching I loved back when it came out but Dromoka's Command was still in the environment and I fucking hate that card so much. Its value was just insane.

I used to really piss people off with Always Watching + Dragonlord Ojutai

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Always good advice.

3uvUvf6.jpg

Angry Grimace

wow, subtitling the Chinese players who aren't even hard to understand

ironmang

Standard just looks to be in a constant state of shittyness the past year. Good on SCG for trying to save us from this garbage for most of the rest of the year.

Angry Grimace

Standard just looks to be in a constant state of shittyness the past year. Good on SCG for trying to save us from this garbage for most of the rest of the year.

Looks fine to me tbh

I mean, there's a decent chance this Standard still hasn't really been "solved" yet. It's not like it was very long ago when everyone was thinking Mardu Vehicles/Mardu Gideons was still going to be The Thing. (In fact, a whole lot of people showed up to this event thinking that.)

That said, it probably will end up being shitty even once it's finally bolted down.

Santiako

It looks decently varied right now. Marvel will probably end up dominating the next few months, but it doesn't look too bad.

Angry Grimace

It looks decently varied right now. Marvel will probably end up dominating the next few months, but it doesn't look too bad.

You can Dispossess Marvel now, though. Granted, that's narrow and color locked, but its an option.

I think as long as they keep it to once a year rotations The Summer Standards are going to remain iffy. It's not like there's any incentive to run Gideon of the Trials when Ally is running around, same goes generally for decks that want a Nissa: They're not running VF/Steward unless they have some specific need when Nissa VoZ is stupid strong

Violet_0

Banned
Chandra Flamecaller is my most-hated 6 mana planeswalker in, uh ... Duels

any chance Bolas gets a planeswalker/permanent-killing minus ability? Then they could also kill off the least popular Gatewatch member in the story (until they bring them back, anyway) - who would that be, anyway?

Chandra Flamecaller is my most-hated 6 mana planeswalker in, uh ... Duels

any chance Bolas gets a planeswalker/permanent-killing minus ability? Then they could also kill off the least popular Gatewatch member in the story (until they bring them back, anyway) - who would that be, anyway?

I think Gideon's really put himself out there as the Guy Who Gets Killed.

Wulfric

http://sheppard-arts.blogspot.com/2017/05/what-does-magic-art-director-do.html

I know it's a bad time with the Pro Tour and all, but Cynthia Sheppard just posted a really cool behind-the-scenes look at Magic art direction. She's directing Ixalan this fall, and was responsible for the aether pipes and furry tiger dragon on Kaladesh.

Other things:
- 3 out of 4 of the current art directors formerly worked on cards (Sheppard, Yanner, Jarvis)
- The concept push is three weeks total
- 578 pieces commissioned in 2016
- Paintings are sometimes still mailed to WotC

http://sheppard-arts.blogspot.com/2017/05/what-does-magic-art-director-do.html

I know it's a bad time with the Pro Tour and all, but Cynthia Sheppard just posted a really cool behind-the-scenes look at Magic art direction. She's directing Ixalan this fall, and was responsible for the aether pipes and furry tiger dragon on Kaladesh.

Other things:
- 3 out of 4 of the current art directors formerly worked on cards (Sheppard, Yanner, Jarvis)
- The concept push is three weeks total
- 578 pieces commissioned in 2016
- Paintings are sometimes still mailed to WotC

I saw that earlier, it was pretty interesting.

Huh, Jason forgot to remove an Ulamog when he used Lost Legacy and the judges allowed Gerard to keep it. And he can potentially lose to it now.

Angry Grimace

Huh, Jason forgot to remove an Ulamog when he used Lost Legacy and the judges allowed Gerard to keep it. And he can potentially lose to it now.

I mean, he just lost to it. Neither of them were likely to Top 8 though.

It's also perfectly possible it was just a backfired play and not a punt because he didn't think Fabiano would ever be able to hardcast Ulamog.

Angry Grimace

That's got to be pretty high up there in terms of "gameplay errors that absolutely should cost you the game".

Not necessarily. He could have assumed he'd win by the time Fabiano got to Ulamog and Lost Legacy has relevant non-Surgical Extraction text (e.g. exiling that Ulamog could let Fabiano draw a card)

Angry Grimace

continuing to pretend this is a legit tournament while Hagon explains why a guy only refused to ID to mess with the team bullshit

this shit is not a team sport ffs

Not necessarily. He could have assumed he'd win by the time Fabiano got to Ulamog and Lost Legacy has relevant non-Surgical Extraction text (e.g. exiling that Ulamog could let Fabiano draw a card)

I mean more that it's not one of those gameplay errors where you didn't understand some bizarre interaction between effects on the stack that resulted in a completely unintuitive outcome. It was a guy just straight-up screwing himself, so I don't have the same sympathy.

Angry Grimace

I mean more that it's not one of those gameplay errors where you didn't understand some bizarre interaction between effects on the stack that resulted in a completely unintuitive outcome. It was a guy just straight-up screwing himself, so I don't have the same sympathy.

I'm just saying it could have been intentional.

If Fabiano's hand is land land land Ulamog and your board state is shaky, perhaps you leave Ulamog in because you don't want him to draw his way into answers for your zombies.

I'm just saying it could have been intentional.

If Fabiano's hand is land land land Ulamog and your board state is shaky, perhaps you leave Ulamog in because you don't want him to draw his way into answers for your zombies.

It's possible. The Marvel definitely creates some weird/dumb value judgments like that, as evidenced by all the Marvel players this weekend who didn't seem to understand that keeping a hand with multiple Ulamogs in it is actually worse than just mulling to fewer cards against everything but discard.

I forgot to bring it up when I saw it discussed a few days ago but are combo decks inherently uninteractive?

I mean, that's the goal of a combo deck, at the very least. The more potential interaction it has, the less likely someone is going to want to play it.

Zocano

I guess, but I like the idea of a combo deck that plays off of the opponent. I don't know how that would really look, though. Or whether it's possible and viable.

I guess, but I like the idea of a combo deck that plays off of the opponent. I don't know how that would really look, though. Or whether it's possible and viable.

A combo deck that's interactive would, I suppose, be a combo that's about building (non-infinite) board state. You could argue that's what Temur Marvel is: it's a deck built around a general combo that generates an oppressive (but possible to interact with) board state, but still ultimately has the win condition of establishing a superior board presence, not going infinite/triggering an alternate win-con/etc.

So, I guess an "interactive combo" deck is basically just Midrange?

TOP 8 DECKLISTS

I was wrong. It's 2 Mono B Zombies, 1 BW Zombies, 4 Marvel, 1 GB Energy.

There are more Chandra, Flamecaller than Gideons in the top 8 lolololol

I think this is a pretty decent result all-told. The boogieman deck left alone by the last banning wave turned out to be a bust in an open meta (as expected), the most dominant deck is one that could not have plausibly been banned before now and which we don't yet know if it can be hated out, there's some color diversity, and enough decks that are at least decent that people can have a little flexibility playing this season.

If there's a big disappointment, it's that the Izzet Control lists didn't go anywhere. I haven't gotten to watch the matches or really dig into matchups much, is this a problem of the meta makeup or is the deck just not good enough?

So, I guess an "interactive combo" deck is basically just Midrange?

An interactive combo is one that has to build board state but doesn't have to win through combat math, basically.

only if you're not playing blue

what happened to Mardu

Temur Marvel does what Mardon't.

Edit: Long version is that while Temur Marvel couldn't really go off fast enough to stop Cat from comboing out, it apparently can get up to speed fast enough to deal with Mardu, so now that Cat's out of the equation and there's some new artifact hate in circulation, it's simply the better-positioned deck. That's my take, anyway.

Zocano

An interactive combo is one that has to build board state but doesn't have to win through combat math, basically.

This is what I was picturing in my head and something I would like them to try and explore more.

I know it's just something fundamentally sewn into the game rules, but it's kinda weird to me that "interactivity" in the game is basically just blowing up each other's creatures (for the most part). Planeswalkers was a move into a different design space and I guess I would like to see more (though I understand that's not something you can really do constantly lest you completely upend the game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom