• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

But if the pump spell is in response to the fight trigger, there's not much you can about it though, or am I wrong? You select the trigger when it ETB, it goes on the stack and from thereon it will try to resolve no matter what.

No, you choose to fight or not on resolution.

Crowbear

But if the pump spell is in response to the fight trigger, there's not much you can about it though, or am I wrong? You select the trigger when it ETB, it goes on the stack and from thereon it will try to resolve no matter what.

You choose the target for the fight ability as it goes on the stack, but the "may fight" choice happens as part of the fight ability resolving, so the choice would happen after the opposing pump spell.

There's no way for an opponent to interact once you confirm the fight is happening, they either have to pump before you decide or not at all. It's part of why the cartouche is so good, there's a lot fewer ways it can backfire compared to a normal fight spell.

Tunoku

I'm gonna miss the Standard portion because I'm indulging in my guilty pleasure called Eurovision today. The top seeds seem to be pointing towards a stacked top 8 tho!

Ashodin

Can I ask what deck you were running? I am currently looking for a good glorybringer deck to put my copies to good use.

fwfLgKn.gif

with Giddeon, Glorybringer and Unlicensed Disintegration, I'd say it's very likely Mardu vehicles. Glorybringer isn't really a fixed staple of the deck though

It's Ashodin. It's some kind of R/W Aggro.

The UD is the promo for FNM this month.

I mean, you're not wrong

oh, yeah. Which equipment cards can you even play in standard these days?

Honed Kopesh
if you're insane.

Bone Saw and Cathar's Shield
+ Aetherflux Reservoir lol

Maybe equipment will be better in Ixalan...

I'm actually off the Equipment train because the amount of artifact hate in the environment has increased exponentially to combat Mardu Vehicles. This deck gets in hard with Glorybringers through Always Watching.

Always Watching I loved back when it came out but Dromoka's Command was still in the environment and I fucking hate that card so much. Its value was just insane.

Ashodin

Aetherworks Marvel is now the highest % in Day 2. Fancy that. A Broken ass artifact being abused, who could've seen that coming?

(I may be salty I lost to Marvel at today's Showdown.)

DrArchon

I wonder how the lineup of decks would look if standard had rotated when it was originally supposed to. I don't think Aetherworks Marvel decks would be putting in nearly the work they've been doing if they couldn't get Ulamog. Decimator of the Provinces doesn't have nearly the same flair.

And hey, maybe Gideon of the Trials would've seen some play without Gideon AoZ hogging the spotlight.

Went 2-1-1 in the showdown Lost to Mardi on the first round and drew against a UR control mirror.

I'm liking this Grixos list more and more every day. I hope some pros refine a version of the deck eventually.

Kefnet is a beast in the mirror

Ashodin

I wonder how the lineup of decks would look if standard had rotated when it was originally supposed to. I don't think Aetherworks Marvel decks would be putting in nearly the work they've been doing if they couldn't get Ulamog. Decimator of the Provinces doesn't have nearly the same flair.

And hey, maybe Gideon of the Trials would've seen some play without Gideon AoZ hogging the spotlight.

Gideon of the Trials is STUPID good. Locking down a permanent is extremely handy.

How stupid good is Rogue Refiner right now? It's a 3/2 that replaces itself and gets you two energy. That card is way over rate.

Tunoku

Rogue Refiner is better than Thraben Inspector right now, and therefore the best card in the format.

Btw, did anyone catch how many Flamecallers Majors has in his deck? I'm hyped to sleeve it up for the PPTQ tomorrow.

DrArchon

How stupid good is Rogue Refiner right now? It's a 3/2 that replaces itself and gets you two energy. That card is way over rate.

I mean, it's basically an auto-include for any real energy deck, be it Marvel or Tower or whatever. It's insane value and I have no idea why it's so pushed. Fucking Elvish Visionary is too good to print anymore, but for one extra U you get another card, another 2 power, and two energy.

Aetherworks Marvel is now the highest % in Day 2. Fancy that. A Broken ass artifact being abused, who could've seen that coming?

(I may be salty I lost to Marvel at today's Showdown.)

I think I said it earlier in this thread, but I'll repeat it: there was surely more broken artifact garbage in Kaladesh than just the vehicles, it just wasn't worth digging any deeper when they were ruling the roost.

Ban Marvel and someone will probably break Inspiring Statuary or Paradox Engine or some other dumb thing. Magic needs to stop doing Artifact Blocks.

Zocano

Why did they go back on that decision? It was one of the few things I was moderately interested about when they were announcing all the overhauls around Magic Origins. Did they even let sets cycle out at all or did they back pedal the second it was supposed to happen?

Nuke Mirrodin from orbit.

Well Mirrodin doesn't exist anymore, really.

I hope you like more Phyrexian mana.

Why did they go back on that decision? It was one of the few things I was moderately interested about when they were announcing all the overhauls around Magic Origins. Did they even let sets cycle out at all or did they back pedal the second it was supposed to happen?

They claim they were seeing huge drops in Standard buy-ins and interest reported by retailers, and anecdotally, many here have said they've seen the same thing precisely because Standard rotations happened too frequently.

And anecdotally, despite the Standard format problems, it seems like interest has returned since they announced the return to only one rotation a year.

Santiako

I love that Zombies is a real thing. Mono-black Zombies was my brother's deck during Onslaught era and was a blast.

All I need is a viable goblins deck again and I'll play standard.

Zocano

I feel like the only one interested in more Phyrexians. But I get the feeling they'd try a (re?)invasion of Dominaria and that's how we'd see them again.

I love that Zombies is a real thing. Mono-black Zombies was my brother's deck during Onslaught era and was a blast.

All I need is a viable goblins deck again and I'll play standard.

I'm just glad it's an actual zombies deck and not a Burn deck masquerading as zombies like the old Geralf's Messanger decks.

DrArchon

I feel like the only one interested in more Phyrexians. But I get the feeling they'd try a (re?)invasion of Dominaria and that's how we'd see them again.

Phyrexians are cool, but I'd hate for a new set with them to be a complete retread of New Phyrexia. Infect sucks to play against, Phyrexian Mana was a huge mistake, and everyone's spoken at length about how dangerous artifact blocks can be.

So basically I'd be OK with bringing them back if the cards were completely different from the last time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It makes me laugh 63 players showed up with Mono Black zombies for some reason

DrArchon

Calcano locking up top 8 with mono black zombies. Nice. I hope zombies take it all.

Nice. I was a little worried about how Zombies would perform because none of the 1-drops it has really excite me like Gravecrawler did back in the day. Glad to see my fears were unfounded.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah I don't understand Mono-B when the W splash is almost free.
It's not actually free is why. There's also the issue that white doesn't add enough to make the deck better.

wtf is that skype clip? BDM standing awkwardly in the back, lol.

I really dislike that draft and constructed aren't tracked separately. Only a single UW flash list made top 8 during Kaladesh but they had the best record across the field by far in constructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom