• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
I assume blue control just gets eaten alive by the aggressive decks enough for Marvel to not worry about it?
low to the ground aggressive creatures post board.
Cheap beats(including thopter tokens), Negates for Glimmer, resolved Planeswalkers/Bounty of the Luxa, big and hard to deal with threats like Sphinx of the Final Word or World Breaker. World Breaker's recursive ability make it quite resilient against control.
You beat them with Virtuosos, Refiners and Servants (and trackers post board) while they're too busy countering and dealing with your Marvels and Planeswalkers.
thanks. World Breaker seems pretty great for this matchup indeed

zombies just keep folding to sweltering suns and flamecaller. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out but I told you the deck is weak to sweepers weeks ago :p

Violet_0

Banned
Marvel is annoying but I'm not sure it's ban worthy.

they can't really afford to announce yet another ban anyway unless Marvel is getting really bad for some reason. I think control still has the tools to go against Marvel, if not anything else

I think I might jump into standard when Zendikar and Innistrad rotate out. Marvel will still be around, but oh well

Daedardus

They could ban Marvel but then there would be another dominant deck and they would have to ban that, and so forth. Then we would be left off with decks that are hardly better than draft chaff. Marvel is beatable I think, the problem is more how the format has started to revolve around a few big threats and is increasingly narrowing as a whole. We just have to sit out until the rotation.

DrArchon

I hope Grixis or 4-color Marvel becomes a thing with HoD and people at PTs are cheating out new-Bolas on turn 4.

I mean, how else are we gonna see a potentially 8 mana planeswalker at a legit tournament?

just a novice opinion, but I'm not very optimistic about the prospect of zombies decks in the long run (until we see what Hours got to offer, anyway).

It's possible it'll disappear completely, but it's the kind of deck that will tend to be overrepresented in FNMs and such unless it's really thoroughly wrecked.

So another ban in Marvel?

Even if they weren't gonna be gunshy due to two rounds of bans already there's nothing about Marvel that's bannable. It's big and dumb but it doesn't fundamentally warp the environment the way something like copycat did.

to be fair, they didn't know about the rotation change at the time

I think at this point the evidence is pretty solidly in the camp that the sudden emergency format change was a terrible idea.

DrArchon

I wonder if that Dark Intimations card is gonna play a role at all.

I mean, it's an alright card, but I dunno, it seems expensive for what it does, and playing it with Bolas only gets you an extra loyalty counter. Might as well play Oath of Gideon at that point.

Unless you can reliably have multiple Dark Intimations in your yard and it's somehow enough to ult on the turn you cast him, I don't see it seeing much play.

duxstar

I dont even know how the pros missed on fighting the zombie decks, casting descend upon the sinful is crazy good against them and also incidentally hits Ulamog as well. Card is criminally underplayed and slots into marvel decks perfectly.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I hope Grixis or 4-color Marvel becomes a thing with HoD and people at PTs are cheating out new-Bolas on turn 4.

I mean, how else are we gonna see a potentially 8 mana planeswalker at a legit tournament?
See I'm worried that this is the same thought process that got us into this mess with emrakul and Gideon and copter

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I dont even know how the pros missed on fighting the zombie decks, casting descend upon the sinful is crazy good against them and also incidentally hits Ulamog as well. Card is criminally underplayed and slots into marvel decks perfectly.
4-color marvel... it's like Saheeli never left.

4-color marvel... it's like Saheeli never left.
There's been some Bant lists. The UG part of the deck is core but red can be substituted, white also gives you access to cast out which is a decent hit off Marvel as well. Red really is mostly for Harnessed Lightning and the Thopter guy.
Now that you mention it, Flamecaller is a better hit off of Marvel, yeah.
Precisely. She comes down clears the board, hits for 6 or draws and loots a bunch of cards.

DrArchon

There's been some Bant lists. The UG part of the deck is core but red can be substituted, white also gives you access to cast out which is a decent hit off Marvel as well. Red really is mostly for Harnessed Lightning and the Thopter guy.

Yeah, that's the thing about Marvel decks, the third color seems to be completely interchangeable. You've got Temur decks, Bant decks, and Sultai decks.

Even if the core of the decks are all "Marvel into Ulamog", I can appreciate that there are multiple variations on that core idea. It's not like Copy-Cat where pretty much every deck was the exact same, or Mardu Vehicles where you get minor variations but for the most part they're all the same.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, that's the thing about Marvel decks, the third color seems to be completely interchangeable. You've got Temur decks, Bant decks, and Sultai decks.

Even if the core of the decks are all "Marvel into Ulamog", I can appreciate that there are multiple variations on that core idea. It's not like Copy-Cat where pretty much every deck was the exact same, or Mardu Vehicles where you get minor variations but for the most part they're all the same.
Was copycat all the same because it only had one deck and the mirror to worry about?

duxstar

This mirror is exactly why marvel is just a shitty deck to play for and against. Each player has gotten 2 or 3 spins, and both missed on it. Basically your playing roulette hoping you get lucky and hit. Some games you just spin your wheels and hit nothing.

So its ... whose luckier me or you ?

Was copycat all the same because it only had one deck and the mirror to worry about?
You're priced into Jeskai and that was better off w/o the combo and playing control and Gearhulk beats.
This mirror is exactly why marvel is just a shitty deck to play for and against. Each player has gotten 2 or 3 spins, and both missed on it. Basically your playing roulette hoping you get lucky and hit. Some games you just spin your wheels and hit nothing.

So its ... whose luckier me or you ?
That's just inherent to magic anyway, Marvel just takes it up a notch and not even that much.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As I have mentioned to Maro, lucksacking being a tournament viable mechanic is stupid. Hence why I knew Marvel was dumb as soon as it was spoiled.

Spin to Win.

If new Bolas is ridiculously powerful I'm going to run a Marvel + Deploy the Gatewatch overpriced PWs deck just to drive people crazy.

Why didn't Yuuya cast harnessed lightning on the Virtuoso, if Martin spends the energy don't use any energy for lightning to preserve the red mana, then untap and cast radiant flames?

Muller's lineup looked better against aggro.

duxstar

Why didn't Yuuya cast harnessed lightning on the Virtuoso, if Martin spends the energy don't use any energy for lightning to preserve the red mana, then untap and cast radiant flames?

Muller's lineup looked better against aggro.

Mullers deck wouldve destroyed gerry thompson and probably the gb energy deck, wantanabees deck is built for the mirror.

So basically the non marvel decks i think got helped alot by this matchup going the way it did.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
this is likely quite problematic for WotC. They probably want to sell those Amonkhet boosters
I went to the LGS and they didn't have any left so I'm guessing they're making enough money.

Violet_0

Banned
I can totally understand misplaying fatal push, but grasp?
I went to the LGS and they didn't have any left so I'm guessing they're making enough money.
eh, I wasn't comepletely serious with that post. I guess that what's played in standard isn't super important for their sales

Mullers deck wouldve destroyed gerry thompson and probably the gb energy deck, wantanabees deck is built for the mirror.

So basically the non marvel decks i think got helped alot by this matchup going the way it did.

Yeah, watanabe still has game with censors and gearhulks though but Muller wouod have destroyed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom