• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murder

It didn't. Crypt Breaker and dread wanderer made it happen.

Deck is gonna hit final death after fall rotation so wonder when those lucky people that stocked relentless deads should move them.

We still have another piece of the puzzle coming in Hour of Devastation so I wouldn't be too worried. Maybe that's just me being hopeful since I bought into the deck the minute Amonkhet was released hoping this archetype would be good. Also me being hopeful since I just got into MTG during Kaladesh and this is my first standard deck :D

Edit:

Anyone else potentially eye-balling Throne of the God Pharaoh? If aggro decks are going to thrive for the foreseeable future, I see this card being a hidden-all star from the set.

Throne%2Bof%2Bthe%2BGod-Pharaoh%2B%255BAKH%255D.jpg

traveler

Not Wario
So, uh, what are the odds that after you draw your opening hand containing 3 lands, you draw zero lands in the next 25 cards in a deck that contains 26 lands total? That felt way worse than usual, just because I fought back so hard to win from 1 health in game 1 of a UR control mirror that lasted like 35 - 40 minutes. Usually not bothered by rng as it's the name of the game, but this was just brutal. Probably the worst drought I've ever had on mtgo.

So, uh, what are the odds that after you draw your opening hand containing 3 lands, you draw zero lands in the next 25 cards in a deck that contains 26 lands total? That felt way worse than usual, just because I fought back so hard to win from 1 health in game 1 of a UR control mirror that lasted like 35 - 40 minutes. Usually not bothered by rng as it's the name of the game, but this was just brutal. Probably the worst drought I've ever had on mtgo.
Assuming it's a 7 card opener and it's just a land you want (not, mountain or Island or the fast land, just a land), you'd have a drawn at least one land in the next 25 in 99.9999999842349 % of games.

As in, that was literally RNG hugging an extreme.

Assuming true randomness, anyway. If you're just amazingly bad at shuffling, your deck won't really reflect true random draws, and the math goes out the window.

Unless you're playing on Magic online in which case that's some real bad luck, bro.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";236854932]Travis Woo is the current Draft Master. That's awesome. Dude is a monster player.[/QUOTE]

What'd Wu do?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
But I mean was he featured during draft recently or something or did he just make a sick deck

Travis Woo is a cautionary tale about vetting your ideas with people smarter than you as opposed to just spouting them off on a stream for the world to hear.

As in, I don't think he's a Nazi - he just was incapable of stepping outside his own head and listening to what he was saying. He needed a friend to say "dude, I think your thinking might be twisted by literal propaganda right now."

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
You're disparaging the savant genius who wrote this article about how Honoured Hierarch is the next Delver of Secrets of modern?

kirblar

The very uncomfortable problem is that when you're a male in your 20s who is susceptible to conspiracy theories "dumb stoner" looks the same as "onset of mental illness" and it's not really possible to tell the difference as an outside onlooker.

Tunoku

Pro Tour Amonkhet: By the Numbers

SaffronOlive's analysis of the PT. With matchup analysis and stuff.

with the main difference being that Flamecaller Temur Marvel is far better in the mirror, while spell-heavy Temur Marvel has a better matchup against Mardu Vehicles, and both decks have an equally good matchup against Zombies.

Disagree. Glimmer of Genius pushes the spell heavy version over the top in the mirror, while it's weaker in the mirror due to the lack of more sweepers in the 75. I wonder if there's a good balance between the two.

Censor and maindeck negate are what heavily favours the spell build while flamecaller should make for a much better Zombies matchup.

There's 2 scenarios how a match could play out reasonably against zombies. Marvel gets to spin at least once, in this scenario Flamecaller build provides 4 additional game deciding hits. Marvel doesn't draw Marvel but cards to stall the game, in this scenario you can expect to hit 6 mana which allows you to resolve a Chandra if drawn.
You're disparaging the savant genius who wrote this article about how Honoured Hierarch is the next Delver of Secrets of modern?
oh right that happened

Looked at Amonkhet prices on MKM and nothing spiked, also the EV looks quite bad.

DrArchon

It's interesting how some Marvel decks will go with Radiant Flames in the sideboard and some will go with Sweltering Suns; with one being easier to cast and the other actually doing something when ripped off the top 6 with Marvel. I wonder if we're going to reach a point where one simply turns out to be better than the other?

Tunoku

It's interesting how some Marvel decks will go with Radiant Flames in the sideboard and some will go with Sweltering Suns; with one being easier to cast and the other actually doing something when ripped off the top 6 with Marvel. I wonder if we're going to reach a point where one simply turns out to be better than the other?

Yeah, I'm still not sure which one's better. The benefit of Radiant Flames is that basically no matter what you'll probably have three different colors by turn 3, whereas that's not a guarantee with Sweltering Suns double-red requirement. On the other hand, my early game plan is always to stall with small creatures if I don't have a fast line to the Marvel spin, so a Radiant Flames on turn 3 is not really necessary. Later on, dealing 3 to everything might not be enough though. I think I'll try Sweltering Suns for the time being, because it can get you out of some tough spots because you can hit it with Aetherworks Marvel.

y2dvd

Radiant will be better. You are ideally not having to spin for it. I sometimes struggle to get a single red early. Asking for RR is a lot on T3.

DrArchon

Radiant will be better. You are ideally not having to spin for it. I sometimes struggle to get a single red early. Asking for RR is a lot on T3.

True, though I remember a couple of Hail Mary spins during the PT where a nice 3 damage across the board would've been a big help.

But yes, if you're only really planning on casting your sweeper from your hand on turn 3 or so, Radiant Flames is 100% better. I suppose if you plan on hitting your sweepers off of Marvel you should just switch to Bant and run Fumigate and Descend Upon the Sinful.

Funny that there's no reason to even consider the fact you can cycle Sweltering Suns. WotC really made sure not to push it too much but making it 3 instead of 2.

Tunoku

Could be an issue with the mana base though. The popular mtgo mana base leans heavily into a ton of blue sources and like 10 red sources, which is not a lot. I think Muller's mana base is pretty different from the norm and might be better going forward.

y2dvd

Could be an issue with the mana base though. The popular mtgo mana base leans heavily into a ton of blue sources and like 10 red sources, which is not a lot. I think Muller's mana base is pretty different from the norm and might be better going forward.

That's true. His mana base accommodates Sweltering Sun better. I guess it's a matter of preference, but I would still think Radiant will be casted more consistently.

I've been running the stocked build. Haven't tried the spell heavy one. I think I have a set of Flamecallers so I may give that a spin, but all versions will probably put up similar results anyways.

I noticed none of the top 8 had Nissa's Renewal. I've liked my one copy mb that way I can get to hard casting my Ulamog in hand. I've tried Bounty of the Luxa, but I havent' been that impressed with it. Also, I haven't been impressed with Torch Defiance in the build either. Those are gonna get switched out to look closer to the PT build.

Tunoku

Yeah it's too much work to use Vessels in the Temur builds for Ishkanah and Traverse since you don't have the Emrakul payoff. It's good in Sultai since you can just get your binned Eldrazi titans back with Liliana.

the most difficult type has always been artefacts and marvel is the only deck running a playable egg. They'll always have sorcery, artifact and creature. Meaning they only need to reliably hit instant or land.

Tunoku

I don't wanna run more than two Evolving Wilds though. It's just not nearly as fast as it used to be. With Kaladesh Marvel I could sometimes get an Ishkanah with Delirum on the battlefield by turn 4.

Violet_0

Banned
sweltering suns runs better in the main deck since you can cycle it, and activating it with marvel will save your ass occasionally. The downside is that you sometimes can't cast it on turn 3 from hand. I'd say suns is the clear winner

I mean, if you spin marvel and hit neither ulamog nor chandra, having a third card in the deck that deals with the board is probably not such a bad idea

Yeah I'm running 1 Suns main in Grixis Control and might go up to 2. 1 Kozilek's Return in the Sideboard.
I don't wanna run more than two Evolving Wilds though. It's just not nearly as fast as it used to be. With Kaladesh Marvel I could sometimes get an Ishkanah with Delirum on the battlefield by turn 4.
Fröhlich and Müller didn't run any evolving wilds they had 1 or 2 cycling lands though.

I considered mentioning this last week.

So today I was playing 6 player commander and started of with Neheb which ran great until I caused the Meren player to discard Void Winnower with a Lazav on the battlefield. Turns out that's quite difficult to beat.
Next game I switch to K&T and after giving the other players a warning that I have tons of non basic hate I drop Back to Basics on curve. One player, playing Niv Mizzet group hug, gets quite agitated and I offered for me to concede (considering I had not interacted with any player to that point it'd have been as if I never was part of the game) but people said it's okay. 2 turns later back to basics is gone and I toned my lvl of play way down. The Niv Mizzet player then proceeded to counter K&T with his only free mana and stuck on lands for some reason which lets the Lazav player get out of hand again. I offered the table to attack his mana, obviously hurting everyone else in the process, so he couldn't do much, which was declined mostly by the Niv Mizzet player. What gets me is that the Niv Mizzet player still had beef with me in the end when the worst I did since losing the Back to Basics was to play a mana breach (bounce a land for each spell)

Some people really don't like stax, which I understand if they didn't try their hardest to build the greediest decks and to go infinite at the same time.

Honestly? You need to just tell them to deal with it. If they refuse to build to deal with any hate then it's on them. As you sorta imply, "I get to play ultra greedy and combo but how dare you do anything to disrupt me?!?" is being a whiny baby. These are the people you play Contamination lock + Stony Silence against and ask "What now, asshole?"

Santiako

Honestly? You need to just tell them to deal with it. If they refuse to build to deal with any hate then it's on them. As you sorta imply, "I get to play ultra greed and combo but how draw you do anything to disrupt me?!?" is being a whiny baby. These are the people you play Contamination lock + Stony Silence against and ask "What now, asshole?"

Yes, people generally revert to a whiny and childish state when playing EDH. These are the same people that cry when you attack them when they have no boardstate but been sculpting their hand for several turns. Last time that someone played a Blood Moon I laughed (I got completely screwed by it) and added more basics to my deck instead of fringe non basics with barely noticeable upsides.

Poppy

This isn't rocket science we're talking about. This really isn't stuff that should be hard to avoid.

i would really hope if i had a twitch audience i wouldnt be susceptible to saying dumb shit in a bad way without censoring myself, but then i probably also get high way less than travis so maybe we just are on different wavelengths

Firemind

Honestly? You need to just tell them to deal with it. If they refuse to build to deal with any hate then it's on them. As you sorta imply, "I get to play ultra greed and combo but how draw you do anything to disrupt me?!?" is being a whiny baby. These are the people you play Contamination lock + Stony Silence against and ask "What now, asshole?"
He shouldn't be salty he's been targeted either by getting his spells countered. I target specific commanders all the time. Nothing personal. "Why don't you just roll a dice?" Piss off.

This isn't rocket science we're talking about. This really isn't stuff that should be hard to avoid.

I generally don't believe that we should wholesale avoid dangerous literature, but there's a right way and a wrong way to inspect it. Reading Mein Kampf by yourself and relying on internet research to give you context, then spewing your half-formed thoughts on a Twitch stream is basically a case study in the wrong way to do it.

Regardless, I hope he does make a comeback. The world needs more crazy brewers.

He shouldn't be salty he's been targeted either by getting his spells countered. I target specific commanders all the time. Nothing personal. "Why don't you just roll a dice?" Piss off.
It just made no sense for him to do so. I cast K&T only because I had open mana and nothing else to do with it. Maybe that's being salty but it was a play only to hurt himself, I cast Nissa that turn and was able to flip her and make a 4/4 and he just let that resolve.
Honestly? You need to just tell them to deal with it. If they refuse to build to deal with any hate then it's on them. As you sorta imply, "I get to play ultra greedy and combo but how dare you do anything to disrupt me?!?" is being a whiny baby. These are the people you play Contamination lock + Stony Silence against and ask "What now, asshole?"
I'm more confrontational than in the past but not that much. If they don't want to deal with it then I respect that, hence I offered to concede but if they decline that offer I expect people to shut up about it going forward.

This very clearly was just being spiteful instead of any sort of logical play. And, more to the point, you don't complain about someone playing a valid card that hurts you and then spite counter their commander when it makes no sense to do so. That's my issue.

I'm more confrontational than in the past but not that much. If they don't want to deal with it then I respect that, hence I offered to concede but if they decline that offer I expect people to shut up about it going forward.

I mean, I'm sharing a bit of a visceral reaction that I wouldn't actually do (I mean, I might Contamination lock + Stony Silence but that would be due to trying to win and not because someone complained and I wouldn't actually make that kind of comment). That said, what did the rest of the group think? If the group in general doesn't want people playing stuff like B2B or Blood Moon then, even though I disagree with it, so bit it. But if it's just this one guy making enough of a scene that you'd consider dropping from the game? No, that's silly. And, like you say, they shouldn't continue on about it later, especially if they decline your far too generous offer.

Firemind

It just made no sense for him to do so. I cast K&T only because I had open mana and nothing else to do with it. Maybe that's being salty but it was a play only to hurt himself, I cast Nissa that turn and was able to flip her and make a 4/4 and he just let that resolve.
People don't know how to play MTG.
That includes me.

This very clearly was just being spiteful instead of any sort of logical play. And, more to the point, you don't complain about someone playing a valid card that hurts you and then spite counter their commander when it makes no sense to do so. That's my issue.
I think that's fair. Not every play has to be logical. Just target him next game. Make enemies lol

El Topo

i would really hope if i had a twitch audience i wouldnt be susceptible to saying dumb shit in a bad way without censoring myself, but then i probably also get high way less than travis so maybe we just are on different wavelengths

Saying dumb shit is okay. It happens to all of us. Just look at my post history. I have no problem with that.
What he said was very different from dumb shit. That doesn't mean there is no way of rehabilitation, but the incident certainly raised questions.
Frankly I find certain vocal fans of his (not here) and the excuses they make a lot more annoying than Travis, who seems to have apologized thoroughly and has not done anything shitty since.

Travis Woo is definitely a weird stoner, but I still get annoyed when people think he was buying into some sort of nazi stuff. The whole video was him trying to explain what the mindset of nazi germany was to his stream, and he prefaced and interrupted the stream multiple times to explain that none of these things were what he personally believed and that the nazis were monsters.

CFB banned him instantly without watching the video and that gave credibility to the people saying he's a nazi, so now that's what everybody believes. If anything the weird messed up stuff he WAS saying was the exact opposite of anything to do with Nazism.

That's why the only content on CFB these days is mediocre draft videos, top 10 who cares and PV complaining about stuff.

It's been a long time but he didn't just explain it IIRC but tried to make sense of insane ramblings of a mad man to a degree that made me uncomfortable watching it. He really just wasn't qualified, or in the state of mind, to make that kind of content.
I mean, I'm sharing a bit of a visceral reaction that I wouldn't actually do (I mean, I might Contamination lock + Stony Silence but that would be due to trying to win and not because someone complained and I wouldn't actually make that kind of comment). That said, what did the rest of the group think? If the group in general doesn't want people playing stuff like B2B or Blood Moon then, even though I disagree with it, so bit it. But if it's just this one guy making enough of a scene that you'd consider dropping from the game? No, that's silly. And, like you say, they shouldn't continue on about it later, especially if they decline your far too generous offer.

Rest of the table wasn't happy about it being present but they must have felt they had reasonable game against it.
I offered to concede since I really hadn't impacted the game at all and a 6 pod isn't that desirable of a game to fight over. On a 4 player table I would have played and closed out the game in the next 2 turns or so then switched to a Boros deck that has no avenue at winning ever on any table.

Rest of the table wasn't happy about it being present but they must have felt they had reasonable game against it.
I offered to concede since I really hadn't impacted the game at all and a 6 pod isn't that desirable of a game to fight over. On a 4 player table I would have played it out and closed out the game in the next 2 turns or so then switched to a Boros deck that has no avenue at winning ever on any table.

Oh. It was 6 person pod. Those are a mess to start with, yeah.

Making Magic - Eight Hundred and Counting - MaRo goes over his past 100 articles.

In his summary of the Conspiracy 2 articles, he brings up that they tie into Ixalan, particularly with the monarch mechanic being originally from there. We also know it originally had a mechanic similar to crew.

Given that, and other things that have been hinted at, here are my guesses for Ixalan.
* The story involves factions fighting to rule over the others. This is where monarch came in.
* Not!crew was a faction mechanic.
* It will be a tribal set, and the tribes won't be species, but rather classes. So warrior, cleric, shaman, etc.
* That said, the four characteristic species and humans will make up the majority of creatures. The tribal support cards just won't care about that aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom