• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
I'll have to do better in vegas. :p

I do want to test Geist in the build. Harlan has the same initial skepticism I had regarding spell queller, but it is, somehow, much better in practice. Even in game 1, you can frequently capture a critical spell and keep the queller alive against main deck removal for a few turns to get in some points. Also, it incidentally makes your colonnade better, as any pushes that it eats are no longer around for them. Not sure if Firer tested 4x queller mb or is just skeptical.

traveler

Not Wario
Grave yard hate is going to be out in force in Vegas.

Wondering how feasible it would be to consider a trinket mage centric sb for jeskai control. Could run relic for gy decks, pithing needle for random threats, and meekstone for eldrazi tron.

Edit: oh whoops meekstone isn't modern legal. Fooled by masterpiece frames.

Grave yard hate is going to be out in force in Vegas.

Wondering how feasible it would be to consider a trinket mage centric sb for jeskai control. Could run relic for gy decks, pithing needle for random threats, and meekstone for eldrazi tron.

Edit: oh whoops meekstone isn't modern legal. Fooled by masterpiece frames.
I could see Trophy Mage maybe: Bridge, OStone, Crucible, etc.

Santiako

I tune in to SCG after the MS conference and I see the finals are Eldrazi Tron vs Living End. 4 Grixis Death Shadow and none in the final, I love it.

EDIT: Todd Stevens FINALLY wins an Open, he puts in so much time that it was deserved.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I love Patrick Chapin, definitely the most handsome Hall of Famer.

ironmang

Good weekend for affinity players. Only 3 copies in day 2, eldrazi tron wins. Just need these results to keep going for another couple months.

Repgnar

Didn't get to play this weekend but checked out some of the event coverage. What happened to that Elk/Grieselbrand deck that was spotlighted early on at 3-0?

Also, any last minute predictions on tomorrow's announcement? Lots of people are predicting a core-ish set that goes with the 2 others each year from what I'm reading.

Didn't get to play this weekend but checked out some of the event coverage. What happened to that Elk/Grieselbrand deck that was spotlighted early on at 3-0?

Also, any last minute predictions on tomorrow's announcement? Lots of people are predicting a core-ish set that goes with the 2 others each year from what I'm reading.

It's too slow, decks like Dredge and Company can already have won the game by that point, and most other decks pack some form of disruption for it. Needs to be doing more with its first two turns.

traveler

Not Wario
Top 32 from Charlotte posted: Decklists

The more burn heavy tempoish Jeskai control builds I've been advocating this past week made a very strong showing in this deaths shadow and coco dominated world. No consensus on the list yet though, with some using quellers, others geists, and still other's using resto angels and torrential gearhulks(!). If people shift to eldrazi tron or dredge in high numbers for upcoming events, the deck will have a hard time, but if coco 5c humans deaths shadow and affinity make up the bulk of the meta, it's very well positioned.

Time to lay down your cards. What's going to happen tomorrow in Metamorphosis 2.0?

My guess is:
* Core sets return, but they are not part of the block schedule. They will be supplemental sets that are meant to teach new players how to draft and such, and won't particularly try to appeal to experienced players like Magic 2010+, since that just muddled its purpose. They will be used to ensure baseline cards like Lightning Strike and counters to certain strategies are in Standard, not to introduce exciting cards like the Titans.
* The Standard rotation schedule will be altered, though I don't know how.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maybe they'll finally let pikula into the HOF instead of being dumb.

I'm expecting nothing and still bracing for disappointment. The week's probably going to be jam-packed with announcement of things that are already known quantities in the community (MMORPG, Hour of Devastation, Iconic Masters, Commander 2017, etc.).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with Core Sets is that the idea of being beginner sets is a waste of time. They're fine as reprint sets.

I'm expecting nothing and still bracing for disappointment. The week's probably going to be jam-packed with announcement of things that are already known quantities in the community (MMORPG, Hour of Devastation, Iconic Masters, Commander 2017, etc.).

I mean, don't be hyped because you think the stuff they'll make will be bad for whatever reason, fine, but this is a really weird tack to take when there's specifically so much stuff to announce (they're going well into 2018 since they're covering the whole Anniversary) and we know just by volume that a bunch of it will be stuff we don't know about.

* The Standard rotation schedule will be altered, though I don't know how.

Honestly I don't think they want to switch from the 2 years thing now that they've established everyone can understand it.

kirblar

The only way it would change again is if they want to keep sets in standard for longer (so changing to a system where a 2-set block only pushes out a different 2-set block.)

If they think a reason Spring sets don't sell as well is because they're only in standard for 18/15 months, this is a reason to make the change.

(This is not me predicting or advocating, just going through the argument for it.)

I mean, don't be hyped because you think the stuff they'll make will be bad for whatever reason, fine, but this is a really weird tack to take when there's specifically so much stuff to announce (they're going well into 2018 since they're covering the whole Anniversary) and we know just by volume that a bunch of it will be stuff we don't know about.

I didn't say anything about the expected quality of anything they're announcing (aside from the MMORPG, anyway). I actually expect I'm going to be pretty interested in Iconic Masters, at the very least, and at least mildly interested in Hour of Devastation and Ixalan.

Rather, what I said is that I don't expect many actual "hype" surprises, because in my experience when someone makes an announcement about how they're going to make a lot of announcements, there's never enough actual surprises to justify doing so. It's like someone loudly declaring they have the most amazing hand ever in a game of poker; they may not be bluffing as such, but at best they're probably got three of a kind.

People don't tell you to prepare to be amazed when they're going to amaze you. They just knock your socks off and drop the mic.

Ashodin

Yeah I really think an always-live Core Set should be a good thing.

I mean the sets announcement on Wednesday will likely include

Whatever the Core Set is if they're doing that (they should do more origins style, I like flipwalkers + sample dives of planes)

Ixalan
Rivals of Ixalan
Commander 2017 pre-cons
Spring Set
Summer Small Set
Core Set?
Un-set!
Anniversary supplemental stuff?
DOMINARIA

Yeah I really think an always-live Core Set should be a good thing.

I mean the sets announcement on Wednesday will likely include

Whatever the Core Set is if they're doing that (they should do more origins style, I like flipwalkers + sample dives of planes)

Ixalan
Rivals of Ixalan
Commander 2017 pre-cons
Spring Set
Summer Small Set
Core Set?
Un-set!
Anniversary supplemental stuff?
DOMINARIA

I'm really surprised they didn't make Samut 2.0 a flipwalker.

So there's a banned list update on Wednesday?

@AetherworksMarvel

get

Santiako

Do we know around what time we should expect the announcement, or is it just a it will happen when it happens basis?

Articles get posted in about an hour and a half usually.

@AetherworksMarvel

get

On Tuesday actually, they moved it up one day so people got time to discuss it before the big announcement day (Wednesday), which means there's definitely going to be some bans/unbans.

Justin

@AetherworksMarvel

get

The B&R updated was moved to Tuesday because Wednesday is their new product announcement day and they didn't want everyone to spend time complaining about the B&R update while they are trying to talk about new product.

Daedardus

There's already enough complaints about Modern's price of entry without adding an essential $150 card to it.

Modern is at its cheapest it's ever been and I somehow doubt Jace would jump up to $150 if he gets unbanned, I'm guessing more like $90 similar to LotV. That said, it would be a very cool card to play with in Control, but he's never getting unbanned lol.

ironmang

Makes me wonder what kind of legacy/modern bans we can see a few days before the biggest GP of the year. Outside of Marvel which I doubt will eat a ban given it's dominance being downplayed. I just hope they leave the non rotating formats alone for now with a potential deathrite ban in like a year.

Angry Grimace

Modern is at its cheapest it's ever been and I somehow doubt Jace would jump up to $150 if he gets unbanned, I'm guessing more like $90 similar to LotV. That said, it would be a very cool card to play with in Control, but he's never getting unbanned lol.

Jace is a $150 card if he's legal in Modern.

I think Jace, the Mind Sculptor is literally the only card left on the ban list that's even arguable to unban, actually. I think he should be legal. I don't think he's that bad in a format like Modern.

An-Det

Jace is perfectly fine to unban, it just won't happen without a corresponding reprint to counter the inevitable spike that would happen.

Tunoku

I don't think they'll ban Aetherworks Marvel or Ulamog this week. And this is not because I own the deck, but there are just no major Magic events before Hour of Devastation comes out. It might happen at the next ban announcement, but not this week.

I don't think they'll ban Aetherworks Marvel or Ulamog this week. And this is not because I own the deck, but there are just no major Magic events before Hour of Devastation comes out. It might happen at the next ban announcement, but not this week.

Your logic makes some sense, but do you honestly think that hour of devastation is going to have cards to deal with marvel? If anything, the cards we've seen (Nicol Bolas) ENHANCE marvel.

DrArchon

right significant bans would be real awkward and make for a very volatile market right now.

Marvel and Street Wraith are the bans I wanna see.

Street Wraith seems like such an obvious ban. I mean, it's basically a slightly worse Gitaxian Probe for all intents and purposes, and that card's banned in Modern, so why not Street Wraith?

I have a question in regards to release the gremlins. Can I choose how much mana I assign to each 'x' value. Ie pay 1 red, 1 generic, and say 6 other mana to destroy 1 artifact and create 6 gremlins? Or do the x values have to match?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom