• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

It's amazing how many people think the emrakul ban was just because of marvel and that marvel being banned would have solved that problem. It's like everyone already forgot the whole "no gy hate" problem.

at least Amonkhet has Scarab Feast now and the 2/2 that exiles all the stuff cept 2

Pundere

Went 2-1-1 at fnm with a Grixis control list I just put together and barely squeaked into top 8 for the promo. I could've won the draw, but I didn't see the line of letting big Chandra resolve, hope he pluses, then using two Unlicensed Disintegrations on the tokens to get the last 6 points of damage I needed. I'm pretty sure I need to change up the lands somehow, but I'm fucking terrible at making mana bases so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Also lord almighty Bristling Hydra is the bane of my existence.

traveler

Not Wario
Tamada's list seems weak against storm and dredge, but I've yet to lose a decent match outside those two across three leagues. Debating trying to shore up the sideboard a bit to account for them, but not sure what the ideal gy hate would be for a jeskai list that leans on both snapcaster and logic knot pretty hard. For storm, I'm actually thinking of including grapeshot as the sideboard card of choice, but it would be super narrow.

Santiako

Tamada's list seems weak against storm and dredge, but I've yet to lose a decent match outside those two across three leagues. Debating trying to shore up the sideboard a bit to account for them, but not sure what the ideal gy hate would be for a jeskai list that leans on both snapcaster and logic knot pretty hard. For storm, I'm actually thinking of including grapeshot as the sideboard card of choice, but it would be super narrow.

Nihil Spellbomb could work as gy hate. You don't get to draw, but you nuke their gy while keeping yours. Grapeshot wouldn't do much since it's a sorcery.

b6214ab5413fbe56e910947f741f502c.png

Well, it's definitely another change in the set release structure.

("Metamorphosis 2.0" definitely strengthens my conviction that it's not "hey we're going back exactly to how things worked before" though.)

("Metamorphosis 2.0" definitely strengthens my conviction that it's not "hey we're going back exactly to how things worked before" though.)
When the butterfly turns back into a caterpillar.
But yeah, this means it's a bigger deal than I actually expected.

How can you go through life with random embedded cards on every web page?

Ashodin

AutoCardAnywhere is the shit

it's hilarious when you read magic story and wonder if it was intentional to put card names in it

Santiako

b6214ab5413fbe56e910947f741f502c.png

shitjustgotreal.gif

When the butterfly turns back into a caterpillar.
But yeah, this means it's a bigger deal than I actually expected.

I tried it once and disabled it after a day or so. It's annoyingness far outweighed its usefulness.

Ashodin

Since it's 2.0 I expect the article to address the same things or have a similar structure

In the article, he starts with Third Set, then Core Set.

So it should be really damn interesting to read.

Because Emrakul is banned and thus Delirium is no longer a prominent strategy. If Emrakul was still around we'd be seeing Feast of Scarabs as 4-ofs in main decks.

Most of the Green/Black lists (which are about as prominent as anything that's not Marvel can be) actually do still run Delirium, it's just "soft" Delirium (Grim Flayer and Traverse the Uvenwald with sideboard Ishkannah) with reanimator elements (Lili) mixed in with varying amounts of Counters, rather than a blind push to stack the graveyard.

Not that Feast of Scarabs or the amazingly garbage Watchers of the Dead are in any sense playable against them, or even likely would be if they were balls-to-the-wall Delirium. They're both pretty shitty GY hate.

Santiako

Most of the Green/Black lists (which are about as prominent as anything that's not Marvel can be) actually do still run Delirium, it's just "soft" Delirium (Grim Flayer and Traverse the Uvenwald with sideboard Ishkannah) with reanimator elements (Lili) mixed in with varying amounts of Counters, rather than a blind push to stack the graveyard.

Not that Feast of Scarabs or the amazingly garbage Watchers of the Dead are in any sense playable against them, or even likely would be if they were balls-to-the-wall Delirium. They're both pretty shitty GY hate.

If (and I think most don't) they run delirium is a very small amount as a side thing and thus not worth of siding in hate for.

I just have it turned on on sites where I'm actually going to see card names (like Maro's blog.)

2.0 implies moving forward

Right, he's not gonna run it out with "this change -- that was literally the best-received announcement of a change we've ever made to Magic in its 25 year history -- we're just gonna pretend that didn't happen. Pretend all those super-real problems I talked about when we started this are all magically solved by nothing."

Since it's 2.0 I expect the article to address the same things or have a similar structure

In the article, he starts with Third Set, then Core Set.

So it should be really damn interesting to read.
I mean, I can see it being an inverse of Metamorphosis: IE Changes that not having both Core and a third set have had on the way Wizards Works.

I do find it utterly hillarious that the "perfect" 3-Set Block of 2 Large and One Small was the last 3 set block. Like, if you're doing a mechanical reboot, DTK was the perfect way to do so. It was, of course, followed up by the worst Block Wizards has designed in the Modern Era and something that very much made the two block format seem shitty.

I mean, the one big change that I've noticed is that the two new sets we've gotten haven't really felt like Planes, they've been Window Dressing for the Gatewatch Story despite the planar narratives being sweet(Rashmi coming to grips with the Multiverse after her Planar Portal, Amonkhet learning that their god is literally a monster). Like, some of the best Uncharted Realms Stories have had no Planeswalkers(or very, very few) and are only tangentially related to the plot(Kruphix's Insight, The Truth of Names, Memories of Blood, Saint Traft and the Flight of Nightmares, and A Time for Innovation are some of the best mainline stories we've gotten in the recent years, and none of them involve the Gatewatch). It sucks that Amonkhet has had none of these so far, and Likely won't.

I mean, I can see it being an inverse of Metamorphosis: IE Changes that not having both Core and a third set have had on the way Wizards Works.

I do find it utterly hillarious that the "perfect" 3-Set Block of 2 Large and One Small was the last 3 set block. Like, if you're doing a mechanical reboot, DTK was the perfect way to do so. It was, of course, followed up by the worst Block Wizards has designed in the Modern Era and something that very much made the two block format seem shitty.

I mean, the one big change that I've noticed is that the two new sets we've gotten haven't really felt like Planes, they've been Window Dressing for the Gatewatch Story despite the planar narratives being sweet(Rashmi coming to grips with the Multiverse after her Planar Portal, Amonkhet learning that their god is literally a monster). Like, some of the best Uncharted Realms Stories have had no Planeswalkers(or very, very few) and are only tangentially related to the plot(Kruphix's Insight, The Truth of Names, Memories of Blood, Saint Traft and the Flight of Nightmares, and A Time for Innovation are some of the best mainline stories we've gotten in the recent years, and none of them involve the Gatewatch). It sucks that Amonkhet has had none of these so far, and Likely won't.

The Samut flashback story didn't have the Gatewatch. The newest didn't either, besides Liliana being named.

But I see what you mean about how there aren't any stories that don't connect to the Gatewatch plot.

Tonight my LGS is starting a Beginners League and the limitation is that the decks only use commons and uncommons. So I've been messing around with this janky deck which mostly focuses on draining the opponents life rather than direct damage. I've found it rather fun to play with, but could use some suggestions on what to change:

Code:
22 Swamp
3 Aether Poisoner
2 Aetherborn Marauder
1 Bontu's Monument
1 Consulate Turret
1 Daring Demolition
1 Decoction Module
2 Die Young
1 Edifice of Authority
1 Fabrication Module
1 Fatal Push
1 Gifted Aetherborn
1 Gonti's Machinations
2 Ironclad Revolutionary
2 Lawless Broker
2 Lay Bare the Heart
1 Live Fast
1 Luxa River Shrine
1 Mind Rot
1 Night Market Aeronaut
3 Night Market Lookout
1 Resourceful Return
2 Rush of Vitality
1 Subtle Strike
1 Tidy Conclusion
2 Trespasser's Curse
1 Underhanded Designs
1 Untethered Express

uh? The Amonkhet story about Samut's childhood was really good. No planeswalkers in it.
For reference, I'm explicitly counting out Samut's stories, because her sparking was the most obvious thing since "Emrakul is in Eldritch Moon". While she's not directly tied to the Gatewatch(yet), her entire stories are set up for her sparking during Hour of Devastation.

For reference, here's how many stories per block didn't feature Planeswalkers(at the front and centre, because I'd consider "Shaping an Army" to be Noyan Dar Focused despite Gideon's roll in it) since the formation of the Gatewatch Idea(So BFZ onwards)
BFZ Block:
Memories of Blood(Drana)
Shaping an Army(Noyan Dar)
Reclaimation(The Elf Sisters)
The Blight We Were Born For(Tazri)
Beneath the Surface (Jori En)

SoI Block:
Under the Silver Moon(Hal and Elena)
A Gaze Blank and Pitiless(General Overview)
Sacrifice (All Hail Gitrog Toad)
Games(Gisa and Gerald)
The Lunarch Inquisition (Odric)
Saint Traft and the Flight of Nightmares (Thalia)

Both of the return blocks had about 5-6 stories where we spent time away from the Gatewatch/Planeswalkers, even if they were still relevant to the events of the narrative (Kiora is why Jori En went on her mission for instance). Compare this to Kaladesh/Amonkhet, which have the following ( I'm aware the Amonkhet one is a bit off because Hour isn't over, but we got one story roughly from the second block in SoI/Oath )

Kaladesh:
A Time For Innovation (Rashmi)
Born of Aether(Yaheeni)
In the Dead of the Night (Yaheeni)
The Skies over Ghirapur (Kari Zev)

Amonkhet:
Trespass
Judgement
Hour of Revelation

All three of these non-Gatewatch focused have involved Samut, who we know is sparking. Of the Kaladesh ones, two of them are about a character who is dead now, one is a one and done, and the other is about Rashmi, one of the few who know that other worlds exist on Kaladesh.

The story feels smaller to me because there's less background to the setting. No one will want to return to Kaladesh to see what Sram's up to like they did with Thalia(or even Odric).

Edit: it still really, really bugs me that they just left Innistrad the way they did, with no resolution to anything beyond the immediate Emrakul problem.

Repgnar

Will be watching that stream this weekend since I've only really been watching standard. Leaning towards during the green stompy deck so I appreciate all the suggestions. Gonna hold off until next week though just in case and so I can budget properly depending on what's coming up.

Santiako

Brad Nelson laughing his ass off as he ponders whether to counter his opponent's Dubious Challenge(!) or not. haha

And he lost to Giselbrand+Stag off the Dubious Challenge. Hilarious.

I didn't see it, but it sounds like Glimmerpoint Stag and Griselbrand let's you get Griselbrand no matter what off of Dubious Challenge?

That's genius.

Santiako

I didn't see it, but it sounds like Glimmerpoint Stag and Griselbrand let's you get Griselbrand no matter what off of Dubious Challenge?

That's genius.

Also uses Through the Breach, Emrakul and Flickerwisp for redundancy. Very dumb glass cannon kind of deck, but always fun to see on camera.

The thing about the Griselbrand switcheroo is they get a chance to rip seven cards off it, so if they have an answer they're probably going to find it.

The Emrakul skiddoo is just gravy, though.

Zocano

I'm looking over the glint-nest crane affinity list and I'm not sure how running 0 thoughtcasts/galvanic blasts turns out; Has anyone tried it or have any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom