• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually, let's reprint Astral Slide in Standard
I got something better:

Immediate Destruction of Modern/Legacy, replacement with Iconic. That's why we've got the day of B&R: Wizards has realized that right now, they can't feed 2 Non-Standard formats the way they want, so they decided to go whole hog.

This, combined with Marvel getting a new non-legendary rider, means Standard will die.

traveler

Not Wario
Well, Grixis Death's Shadow may be the best deck in modern, but, for whatever reason- be it the mtgo meta, my piloting of shadow vs my piloting of Jeskai, the straightforwardness of the Jeskai deck- Tamada's Jeskai list is just performing way better for me each alternating league between the two. So I'm off GDS for Vegas and onto Jeskai for sure.

Draft of the Hour of Devastation OT.

EHj7qHx.png

Official page
Hour of Devastation set information
Previous topic: Amonkhet (OT11)
Next set: Ixalan

INTRO
Welcome to the Multiverse! Multiple worlds exist side by side in different dimensions, known as planes, and they are as different as night and day. All of them, however, have a form of magical energy known as mana. Most residents of these planes are unaware of other worlds, but there are some special beings with the ability to safely travel between them, known as Planeswalkers.

Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. The game quickly became a hit, and it is currently bigger than it has ever been. You and your opponent play the role of dueling Planeswalkers, using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other Planeswalkers you can call in to help out. Whoever can get every opponent down to 0 life wins.

This thread is coming a bit earlier because there is a big reveal bash on Friday, which will be livestreamed from Grand Prix Las Vegas at this Twitch channel.

Last set, we arrived at an Egyptian mythology world, Amonkhet, but now Nicol Bolas has returned and the end times are here!

5004047-9007540205-30495.gif

Banned and Restricted List - For the first time in years, cards have been banned in Standard:
* Emrakul, the Promised End
* Smuggler's Copter
* Reflector Mage
* Felidar Guardian
* Aetherworks Marvel

GETTING STARTED
If you're a beginner, feel free to come in. Us regulars can get a bit technical with card evaluations and use a lot of jargon, and many of us will loudly proclaim that a cool-looking card is junk, or say that a lame-looking card is really powerful, so ask us if you want an explanation.

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series (now discontinued), where Day[9] battled various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

To get started, check out the official page. Basically:
* It's recommended that new players play Magic Duels (thread). It's a great way to learn the game on your own, and it's free! That said, there will no longer be new updates, but a new digital product is expected to be announced in time.
* After that point, the act of deck building can be intimidating, so it's recommended that you try out a preconstructed deck and customize it with other cards you get, before you start making your own from scratch. Planeswalker Decks are preconstructed decks that come with four unique new cards, including a new Planeswalker card. If you have a friend to play with, there are also Duel Decks that provide two decks for a game right out of the box, but are a bit more complicated.
* To get your physical collection started, buy a Deck Builder's Toolkit, which includes not just a starting collection of cards (including a lot of lands), but also some booster packs and a good box to store cards in. The Holiday Gift Box provides an even larger starting collection and better storage.
* The different play formats can be found here. The most popular formats where you bring a 60-card deck ahead of time (Constructed) are Standard, Modern, and Legacy. The most popular formats where you start out with no deck and have to make them from scratch (Limited) are Draft and Sealed. Casual play has no restrictions other than what your friends decide. Once your skill advances, another popular way to play Magic casually is Commander.
* While game stores will often hold Magic events at other times, every store that has Magic events will have Friday Night Magic. There, you will be able to find other players in your area to both have matches with and trade with. Find game stores here. And to get started participating in your local game store (LGS) scene, attend an open house or prerelease event!

OPEN HOUSE AND PRERELEASE
While the set won't officially be sold until the release date, that isn't the first time you can get your hands on the new cards. Game stores will hold Magic Open House events specifically meant for new players, with people there to give you simple Welcome Decks and teach you how to play.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the prerelease event held for every set. You play in the Sealed format, where every player is given a box with six booster packs and a random additional rare card. From this pool of cards, all of which you keep, each player builds a deck of 40 cards and participates in a Swiss-system tournament. This is a fun and casual event, where everyone is still trying to figure out the set, so don't worry about messing up. In addition to normal duels, there are also Two-Headed Giant events, where you pair up with another player and face off against another team.

The Magic Open House is not scheduled yet. Prerelease events will be held on July 8-9, 2017. Call your local game store a few days ahead of time to register for the prerelease, or they might just run out of room. Find local game stores here.

rQ4WibA.png

STORY
Lore introduction
Amonkhet story

Amonkhet is a harsh desert world where everything that dies is cursed to rise again. People gather in oases, magically protected from the sand and horrors, raising warriors to go through the Trials of the Five Gods and thus gain their favor.

God-Pharaoh Nicol Bolas has returned to his kingdom, and he brings destruction. Can the Gatewatch stand up to him and the horrors of the desert he unleashed onto the city?

Story archive
Planeswalker biographies

CARD THEMES
Card image gallery
Mechanics

Returning mechanics

Invocations
Battle for Zendikar, Kaladesh, and every block after all have a special set of reprints known as masterpiece cards. They are printed at a rarity higher than mythic rare, but have no unique cards and don't affect what's in Standard. Each set's masterpiece collection is foiled with a special themed frame. Amonkhet Invocations continue from the previous set, showcasing cards that thematically tie into the world.
(CARDS)

You know what they remind me of?

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Recommended columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors; and Latest Developments, written by various Magic developers. The other articles generally discuss deck building. For older articles before the site changed, go here.
Card image gallery - Best way to see all of the spoiled cards together, but only updates once a day.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Reddit - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Mythic Spoiler - A good way to see what cards have been spoiled, updates throughout the day.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards. Has autocomplete.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards, but it doesn't have autocomplete.
Game store locator

PREVIOUS THREADS
Amonkhet (OT11)
Aether Revolt (OT10)
Kaladesh (OT9)
Eldritch Moon (OT8)
Shadows over Innistrad (OT7)
Oath of the Gatewatch OT (OT6)
Battle for Zendikar OT (OT5)
OT4
OT3
OT2
OT1

(SECOND POST)
SCHEDULE
Hour of Devastation
Announcement Week spoilers - June 16, 2017
Start of spoilers - June 19, 2017
Full reveal - June 30, 2017
Prerelease - July 8-9, 2017
Magic Online Launch - July 10, 2017
On Sale in Magic Online - July 14, 2017
Release Date - July 14, 2017

Grand Prix Cleveland (Team Limited) - June 23-25, 2017
Grand Prix Sydney (Team Limited) - June 23-25, 2017
SCG Tour Season One Invitational Weekend - June 30 - July 2, 2017
Grand Prix Toronto (Limited) - July 21-23, 2017
Grand Prix Kyoto (Limited) - July 21-23, 2017
Pro Tour Hour of Devastation - July 28-30, 2017
Grand Prix Minneapolis (Standard) - August 4-6, 2017
Grand Prix Birmingham (Modern) - August 11-13, 2017
Grand Prix Sao Paulo (Modern) - August 11-13, 2017
Grand Prix Denver (Standard) - August 18-20, 2017
Grand Prix Indianapolis (Limited) - August 25-27, 2017
Grand Prix Metz (Limited) - August 25-27, 2017
Grand Prix Washington, D.C. (Standard) - September 1-3, 2017
Grand Prix Turin (Standard) - September 1-3, 2017
Grand Prix Shizuoka (Team Limited) - September 29 - October 1, 2017
Grand Prix Providence (Team Limited) - September 29 - October 1, 2017
2017 World Championship - October 5-8, 2017
Eternal Weekend NA (Legacy and Vintage) - October 19-22, 2017
Grand Prix Phoenix (Limited) - October 27-29, 2017
Grand Prix Liverpool (Limited) - October 27-29, 2017
Grand Prix Hong Kong (Limited) - October 27-29, 2017

Iconic Masters
2017 World Championship Draft - October 5-8, 2017
Release Date - November 17, 2017

HIGHLIGHTS
Previous thread
Bontu's Last Reckoning; Samut, the Tested; Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh
Ramunap Excavator, Wildfire Eternal, Abrade, Adorned Pouncer
Planeswalker Deck - Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver

c4rd4r7_ENNqZGTUlD.jpg

tumblr_inline_mt1uliQAJD1qz4rgp.gif

Ashodin

yo so like

one of the schemes shows what's beyond the gate to the afterlife

and it's a bunch of horrors within

also WHEN has MTG Salv's Rumor Mill been any information recently? Everything gets on reddit first.

I honestly doubt there's anything they're announcing that's half as significant as, for example, Magic Online, so I'm going to preemptively lower my expectations all the way down to "we're going to announce a new format that will be unsupported inside of two years and three product lines you're already aware of".

Lucario

MaRo's latest statement makes me feel like we're getting a replacement for core sets with a new distribution model, or a set of "Magic Essentials" that's either permanently in Standard or has an extremely long rotation. Kind of like Hearthstone's base set.

I'd be pretty psyched if it ended up using the LCG model - $50 or so to buy into the core set for the next few years - but I feel like if Wizards did this, they'd just include one of every mythic in the box to make you buy 4.

Ashodin

"Magic Essentials" that's either permanently in Standard or has an extremely long rotation. Kind of like Hearthstone's base set.

ooh I like this.

basically a set that has a lot of "toolbox" cards that can deal with decks in the format.

what i would find exciting (most to least):

1) patch cards

2) make mtgo draft great again (allow in-pod play)

3) scan a card and add it to mtgo collection

4) some sort of extended standard format

5) include a mtgo pack in each real-life booster

i have no hopes for 1 and 3

i expect 4 and 5 will eventually happen

2 is easy to do, but they won't do it because they suck

Lucario

ooh I like this.

basically a set that has a lot of "toolbox" cards that can deal with decks in the format.
I feel like we'd get sick of having the same suite of answers around forever, and I genuinely don't trust WoTC's ability to balance a set of non-rotating cards.

Maybe if they made it rotate every year or so, but kept most of the evergreen stuff identical, and released a second product with only the new cards?

I fully expect Maro to come back and be like 'woah guys, don't read too much into my comments here be reasonable'. If he doesn't, I'm taking it as confirmation that batshit crazy ideas are in play.

Lucario

I fully expect Maro to come back and be like 'woah guys, don't read too much into my comments here be reasonable'. If he doesn't, I'm taking it as confirmation that batshit crazy ideas are in play.
Introducing: digital cards made of e-ink! They eratta themselves when proven problematic!

bigkrev

what i would find exciting (most to least):

1) patch cards

2) make mtgo draft great again (allow in-pod play)

3) scan a card and add it to mtgo collection

4) some sort of extended standard format

5) include a mtgo pack in each real-life booster

i have no hopes for 1 and 3

i expect 4 and 5 will eventually happen

2 is easy to do, but they won't do it because they suck

Aren't there still draft queues if you want pod play? Just no one uses the, because of the convienence of leagues

ironmang

I just hope the announcements aren't drastic. Like trying to combine formats or something that would tank my collection as well as make a bunch of cards seeing little play spike.

Yeef

I just hope the announcements aren't drastic. Like trying to combine formats or something that would tank my collection as well as make a bunch of cards seeing little play spike.
They're getting rid of formats. Instead, Magic decks will use a points system. The point value of a card is equal to its collector number. Decks have a point limit, so be sure to chase those rare promo versions of cards to reduce their point costs!

Mono-white decks rule the day.

Lucario

They're getting rid of formats. Instead, Magic decks will use a points system. The point value of a card is equal to its collector number. Decks have a point limit, so be sure to chase those rare promo versions of cards to reduce their point costs!

Mono-white decks rule the day.
Canadian Highlander is a pretty awesome format tho

I mean, a version of Canadian Highlander with actual substantial curation could be amazing. The only real problem with the format is it's basically "Here's what Jimmy thought the relative power levels of the twenty cards he could name were back in 2006, the format!"

also WHEN has MTG Salv's Rumor Mill been any information recently? Everything gets on reddit first.

I would guess the last time MTGS was still the place to look for this shit was... I dunno, like 2010?

Rosewater

So, like, I am confident that he's not overhyping this in the sense that... there will be a ton of announcements, and some of them will be things people have really really wanted, and some will be brand-new things we've never seen before, and some will just be really cool... but it's still hard to think of what it could possibly actually be.

I honestly doubt there's anything they're announcing that's half as significant as, for example, Magic Online

Magic Online was garbage when they actually announced it though, and the reaction was relentlessly negative. It took years for it to be seriously influential and relevant to Magic as a whole.

MaRo's latest statement makes me feel like we're getting a replacement for core sets with a new distribution model, or a set of "Magic Essentials" that's either permanently in Standard or has an extremely long rotation. Kind of like Hearthstone's base set.

I've been proposing a lot of variants of the "Core Set" concept that don't involve just bringing back a reprint set and I think some of them are worth thinking about:

• An insert subset, kind of like Masterpieces but way more common, which show up in regular set packs. You get "Magic Essentials 2018," it appears in all four sets released that (Magic) year, and it includes Core-Set-style cards that are Standard legal for that entire year and rotate with those two blocks.
  • A boxed set which includes a set of relevant cards for tournaments, which are Standard legal and also rotate out with the sets from their year.
  • A set that's all reprints with new or "classic" art, maybe even with a special frame treatment or something, where the full set list for a year is revealed alongside the first large expansion of the year but the actual cards are released as a series of special prize/bonus packs throughout the year. (Then you could include regular versions of these in a boxed set or in Planeswalker decks or something.)

Really the fundamental problem to solve with Core Sets is that they're boring and lame so people don't like to buy them or get hyped when they fill an expansion slot. Whatever the actual solution is should avoid being "let's go back to making a boring and lame set people don't like."

Just to cut off people pre-emptively panicking about this, Blake's post was very clear that the only Organized Play announcement is a new event or series of events that will take place next year. They're not changing any formats.

I honestly doubt there's anything they're announcing that's half as significant as, for example, Magic Online, so I'm going to preemptively lower my expectations all the way down to "we're going to announce a new format that will be unsupported inside of two years and three product lines you're already aware of".

Well, I mean, they're probably going to announce the thing that's replacing Magic Online so that's pretty big.

And alright already, I'll swap MTG Salvation for Reddit. It never came to mind when I first included it (in the Battle for Zendikar OT) since I don't go to Reddit. Keeping the comment the same, though. It probably still applies.

ironmang

Probably unlikely but it'd be nice if they announced some updated prize support for the premier events. Hearing about people going 11-4 and not cashing at these $90-$100 GPs is kind of ridiculous. I don't know the specifics of who pays for what between WOTC and the TOs but it's still shitty and should be addressed.

I mean, a version of Canadian Highlander with actual substantial curation could be amazing. The only real problem with the format is it's basically "Here's what Jimmy thought the relative power levels of the twenty cards he could name were back in 2006, the format!"
Except Canadian Highlander's Banlist is infinitely better then any other one. Like, they reason it out, vs the EDH Committee just banning what they don't like. They explain literally everything, and the points aren't as locked as you think.

Ashodin

So wife and I had chunk commander and we played anthology, lol lol opp lol we beat each other1_1 lol

Lol a
Shit drunk
Th

Edit end of line

Lkaalia the cart is too brown tip play even wheelie drunk ok

Hahaha I love how they keep on giving Eli Kasis attention. He's probably one of the worst brewers in the SCG Circuit. Dude tried to jam the Nahiri Package into Bant Knightfall.

He also just contradicted himself "Double White is hard to get so no Kor Firewalker/Fiend Hunter, but Dusk to Dawn is totally fine"

Hahaha I love how they keep on giving Eli Kasis attention. He's probably one of the worst brewers in the SCG Circuit. Dude tried to jam the Nahiri Package into Bant Knightfall.

He also just contradicted himself "Double White is hard to get so no Kor Firewalker/Fiend Hunter, but Dusk to Dawn is totally fine"
Dusk to dawn is usually a much later play so getting the WW is a bit easier. Fairgrounds Warden seems better than Fiend Hunter in that situation though.

Dusk to dawn is usually a much later play so getting the WW is a bit easier. Fairgrounds Warden seems better than Fiend Hunter in that situation though.
Eh, I'm still hesitant of saying that Dusk to Dawn is worth it in the sideboard. I can get behind Fiend Hunter, but he deliberately said "Double White is too hard" for Kor Firewalker, which
There is a difference between two and three mana and five. Shocking, I know
Dusk is 4 Mana. He has 6 Dorks (some combination of Birds and Hierarchs), all of which can make White Mana. It's literally him being a greedy deckmaker, because he also spent the time talking about "Going off with Infinite Mana on Turn 3".

It's not like he said Double White is hard to get in the early game, he said it's hard to get in general.

Ashodin

Pretty sure chunk commander comes after drunk commander....
You bet it does. We did Kaalia vs. Meren, that was nuts, Kaalia's deck is OP as fuck.

Then we had Freyalise vs Derevi. She was playing Freyalise, just ramped out and hammered me with Tornado Elemental.

Every time we took damage we took a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom