• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
true but he does care about reanimating them after getting use out of.

Why are you reanimating things in such a way that you care about their CMC while doing it? Are you doing some nutty drunk deck-building pauper shenanigans, and if so, where do I sign up?

Edit: Hey, 5-color decks can have a theme. Despite the name, my 5-color Godstuff is actually a tribal Gods/Enchantments deck, and running very little good stuff!

Why are you reanimating things in such a way that you care about their CMC while doing it? Are you doing some nutty drunk deck-building pauper shenanigans, and if so, where do I sign up?

Edit: Hey, 5-color decks can have a theme. Despite the name, my 5-color Godstuff is actually a tribal Gods/Enchantments deck, and running very little good stuff!
21.jpg

It also has an upkeep cost.
i don't have any 5cc edh decks. the first thing i do is target the 5cc decks because they didn't choose a theme and instead chose to just play the best cards

i'm just making a snarky comment on how white only does everything

green too. fuck green/white!
Play all the dragons, that's the theme.

I would much rather see a 5-color "play all the dragons" deck than a Prossh "just fuck their faces" deck, personally.

Besides, why would anyone play five color for good stuff? It's not like you need Red.

yeah i'm cool with scion i guess

not saying it's common but my group has 5c decks that never play their commanders which i think defeats the purpose of commander

Eh, I think for a fully-themed deck, you will sometimes see them not play the commander because the commander isn't (and can't be) in-theme, themselves.

Like, I have a four-color Eldrazi deck that runs Yidris because those are the colors I need to run an Eldrazi at every CMC all the way up to 13 (no, it isn't just a ramp to titans deck, it's an actual tribal deck), but obviously I'm not super interested in playing Yidris because he isn't actually an Eldrazi himself. I'm not interested in running an Eldrazi commander because that locks me out of playing 80% of the Eldrazi creatures.

Most of my good-stuff decks have honestly been 3/4 color (Kaalia, Atraxa, etc.). If I go up to 5 colors it's usually because I'm trying to squeeze in some dumb theme-appropriate cards at the cost of raw power. (Listen, I could play Angels in 3 or even 2 colors, and god knows running them with Kaalia is the smart way to go, but if I run them in 5 colors I can have all the named angels!)

Angel tribal is the only deck of mine that doesn't revolve around the commander. The commander is what makes EDH unique.

I'm now up to 6 Commander decks
  • Akiri, Lineslinger + Silas Renn - Voltron and Combo
  • Archangel Avacyn - Angel Tribal
  • Akiri, Lineslinger + Silas Renn - Voltron and Combo
  • Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis - Combostax
  • Narset, the Enlightened Master - Deploy Superfriends
  • Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Dragon Tribal
  • Zur the Enchanter - Voltron Control

currently working on a marchesa grixis aggro.

The commander is what makes the format unique, but being singleton at 40 Life is still the real crux of it. "Battlecruiser Magic", after all, is about the fact the game lasts long enough to play battlecruisers; if you're just fishing for easy win-cons off the guaranteed presence of your commanders, you aren't playing Battlecruiser Magic, and honestly are missing most of the fun of EDH.

Firemind

The commander is what makes the format unique, but being singleton at 40 Life is still the real crux of it. "Battlecruiser Magic", after all, is about the fact the game lasts long enough to play battlecruisers; if you're just fishing for easy win-cons off the guaranteed presence of your commanders, you aren't playing Battlecruiser Magic, and honestly are missing most of the fun of EDH.
i don't think the singleton rule really matters when you can play tutors

(they should ban some tutors)

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
If you're not playing the Ad Nauseum + Skirge Familiar combo, you're playing EDH wrong.

i don't think the singleton rule really matters when you can play tutors

(they should ban some tutors)

I'm pretty sure that's an interesting argument the people who maintain the format have had more than a dozen times.

I'm honestly not quite sure what the right approach is. At the very least I could get behind banning the super cheap (in terms of mana cost, and conversely super expensive in terms of real money cost) tutors for the same reason cards like Ancestral Recall and Time Walk are banned. Maybe just blanket-ban every tutor under a given CMC.

It's a somewhat complicated problem, though, because a lot of completely fair decks still want tutors badly, so removing them might winnow down the field of viable decks rather than expanding it.

jph139

Yeah, I personally never use tutors (with some exceptions for those with narrow conditions, like in my General Tazri Allies deck). The whole point of the format for me is high-variance games with weird, creative cards. Don't really see the point if you're playing the same game every time.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
if you want a skirge familiar combo there's Gitrog Monster and Darkslick Shores'
they would have to ban searching libraries then as tutors are a highly arbitrary denomination.

*Dakmor Salvage

But that is a pretty nice combo. I gotta pick one of those up

Can't agree with this at all, everyone runs manafixing and most run card draw and selection but it's the same principle. You want consistency in singleton formats just the same and there'd be little point in playing combos if you don't have reliable ways to find it.

There's also decks with a hidden commander thät rely upon finding it.

There's also decks with a hidden commander thät rely upon finding it.

More or less. I want Zur the Enchanter for 5-color gods, but he has to go in the 99 since he can't provide the colors. I once built a dumb Ooze Tribal deck that desperately wanted to tutor for Gutter Grime and Doubling Season; it was still a terrible deck even with tutors, but it would have been functionally unplayable without them.

As always, it's a more complicated issue than just "ban it and make everything better". Except Smuggler's Copter. Fuck you, Copter.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I personally never use tutors (with some exceptions for those with narrow conditions, like in my General Tazri Allies deck). The whole point of the format for me is high-variance games with weird, creative cards. Don't really see the point if you're playing the same game every time.

The only tutors I run are Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor, Mystic Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, Tainted Pact, Eladami's Call, Bring to Light, Green Sun's Zenith, Lim-Dul's Vault, Homing Sliver and Sliver Overlord.

DrArchon

Is it just me, or is Oketra stupid pushed compared to the other two gods we've seen? Stupid easy to turn on and hits harder than either of them, which I was 100% not expecting. I was onboard with her needing like 4 other creatures to turn on and having Vigilance, but Double Strike? On an Indestructible beatstick that makes tokens? Jesus.

Is it just me, or is Oketra stupid pushed compared to the other two gods we've seen? Stupid easy to turn on and hits harder than either of them, which I was 100% not expecting. I was onboard with her needing like 4 other creatures to turn on and having Vigilance, but Double Strike? On an Indestructible beatstick that makes tokens? Jesus.

She definitely feels way better to me, but I'm no master of Standard's meta, so I can't say how relevant that is in terms of how well she actually fits decks that might run her.

Again, assuming he isn't banned, are there any decks that run her over Gideon? I mean, Gisela was a pretty solid 4 CMC beater and she didn't seem to get any play. Oketra is admittedly better than Gisela, but is she better enough that people make the reach to build around if they weren't interested in mono-white beatsticks at 4 to begin with?

I guess it's ultimately going to depend on how the rest of the set shakes out. As someone who plays White/Red Human Aggro casually for Standard, my feeling is that of course no one else wants to leave the Mardu Vehicles bus to join me in glorious White Weenies.

She seems more generically good than the red and blue ones, because she requires the least support (making dudes). The other two ask for things that decks don't seem to do as often. Though the other two look like they can be pretty good if they have enough support cards.

Hero

Pair her up with new Odric and baby, you got a stew going!

DrArchon

Again, assuming he isn't banned, are there any decks that run her over Gideon?

Yeah, that's the biggest issue. Gideon is just totally better in almost every way. Makes better dudes, makes dudes better, no restrictions on attacking, yada yada.

But even if he isn't banned, he won't be in standard forever. And then it's Oketra's time to shine!

y2dvd

I play with nothing but tutors and fetches in my EDH deck. And Top. And reanimator spells. And I'm in BUG. I'm that guy. >=]

I play with nothing but tutors and fetches in my EDH deck. And Top. And reanimator spells. And I'm in BUG. I'm that guy. >=]

I know you're being slightly hyperbolic, but I actually want to see a deck where you run nothing but tutors, so you can only tutor for tutors.

You would need to have some really dumb and pointless card sitting at the end of the tutor chain, though. The sort of thing where just having it resolve--and preferably not win the game--is a sort of emergent win condition in and of itself.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

Image.ashx

It's like having a second Demonic Tutor. Also uncounterable.

Muddle the Mixture much better obvs.

Play both

cuc

Naga are weird because they went one way in Kamigawa (where "Naga" definitely wouldn't have been right) and then decided to switch it up in Khans.
FYI, in the real world, Japan knew of naga from Chinese translations of Buddhist texts, which equated them with the Chinese dragon. As in, they are translated using the same word (pronounced lóng in Mandarin, ryū in modern Japanese), and considered the same thing. Indian stories about naga then came to shape how the Chinese and Japanese view dragons via Buddhist writings.

An inevitable side effect of MtG's "theme park" approach to world cultures is at least in the current lore, the planes are isolated thrill rides that seldom communicate with each other except through a select few Planeswalkers, when in reality they had always been interconnected. Alexander's conquest brought Greek art to India, which in turn influenced Chinese and Japanese sculpture; Greek architecutre and sculpture itself can be described as an offshot of Egyptian culture.

red13th

I keep thinking why are those aftermath effects so overcosted, then I remember that Flashback costs are overcosted too so I don't know.

The hydra and one of the cats have Snake in their typelines and the snakemen don't. Seriously?

Edit: Also, Never To Return is once again kind of messing with their implicit "To", as it actively contradicts itself with the "To", given the second half is "returning".

Tunoku

My favorite Aftermath card so far is definitely the Cut to something one. Flame Slash with late game reach is really strong, even if it can't deal with Heart.

DrArchon

Man, I wish there were a bunch of Mulch-like cards were in standard to pair up with that hyrda. Milling it out and playing it on turn 4 seems like a dream (if the enemy doesn't have any kind of removal of course).

Never // Return looks fine. I like it better than Ruinous Path because at least you can play it for 3 and still get the creature later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom