• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why no planeswalkers? :(

Yeah, this could have actually been a non-ban answer to Copycat in that case.

Still, this does work against vehicles. And yeah, I'm surprised how quickly red jumped on the super-bear bandwagon after getting its first plain old bear Eldritch Moon.

Tunoku

You know what? I think I'll cut my Skullcracks for this dude. Only problem is that I give Collective Brutality even more targets, but I'm never winning against that shit anyway.

EDIT: Improves A Command as well, so maybe this shines more in a creature build like those RG Bushwhacker decks?

NsUKnkP.png

Now that's a good ass card.

Lantern Control has another card to worry about, I guess.

Tunoku

Yeah card would be ridiculous against Planeswalkers, basically trading 1-for-1 whenever your opponent dared to minus their card.

Tunoku

Yeah, but Chandra uses Flames Slash dies. Ob Nixilis uses Murder and dies. And also, that scenario puts your opponent in a situation where they can only plus Gideon, which makes it go to one. Without removing the bear first, you basically don't want to use your Planeswalkers anymore.

Yeef

You say like it's a bad thing. :p
2 damage a turn, the player with PWs can fight through it.
No, they can't really. Most planeswalkers have +1 or +0 abilities. Redirecting the damage to the planeswalker, effectively makes all loyalty abilities cost -2 more. It gets even worse when you have multiples of these in play.

I think this will almost certainly see play in standard; if it were a 1/3 so that it could survive shock, it might be one of the top cards to be.

Tunoku

I definitely think that the card is more interesting for eternal formats than Standard, but you would still run this in any mono red aggro deck in Type 2 I guess.

ironmang

Affinity already has a million hate cards to deal with. This would only be bad if it replaced something in the maindeck which I don't think it does.

Firemind

Yeah, but Chandra uses Flames Slash dies. Ob Nixilis uses Murder and dies. And also, that scenario puts your opponent in a situation where they can only plus Gideon, which makes it go to one. Without removing the bear first, you basically don't want to use your Planeswalkers anymore.
I think it's a fair trade since historically killing a planeswalker with a spell is a 2-for-1.

Tunoku

this is good as heck. shock you or your PW every time you crew a vehicle, every time you equip something, every time you sac a guy to ravager, every time you fetch a land. can definitely see it getting some real use.

Every time you use Scavenging Ooze. Every time you activate a creature land. The list is endless.

Santiako

Weird that they had what it's most likely to be the best card of the set and they just threw it in their email newsletter. You'd think they want to reveal this one nicely with an article and stuff.

This Entertainment Weekly article has more information about the set beyond the cards it revealed.
* Beyond the shifting sands of the desert are the Broken Lands, containing the ruins of ancient civilizations. No one has gone there and returned to tell of them.
* Unrevealed cards (with just art) are Sandwurn Convergence, Heart-Piercer Manticore (oddly with no wings), Grasping Dunes, Painted Bluffs, Soulstinger (oh hey, we do have a CGI Rock card!), Ornery Kudu, and Defiant Greatmaw,
sandwurn-convergence-slawomir-maniak.jpg
heart-piercer-manticore-scott-murphy.jpg
grasping-dunes-daarken.jpg
painted-bluffs-mark-poole.jpg
soulstinger-mike-burns.jpg
ornery-kudu-deruchenko-alexander.jpg
defiant-greatmaw-deruchenko-alexander.jpg

Violet_0

Banned
btw the set has some pretty sweet art, flavor-wise it's already way ahead of Kaladesh

Mardu has crazy answers for it (Unlicensed Disintegration is a hell of a card) and Copycat just combos off on it.

it's sort of funny that the answer to the deck is a basic 3 mana removal (okay, with a lightning bolt attached to it)

I'm practically the only one you will find in this thread okay with pushed artifacts

It's only because Artifact is my favorite type of card.

I was a lover of Artifact Creature - Golems back in the day (my boy Karn being the best).

Not only that, but when they introduced Equipment (something I saw as a no brainer) It thrust the game from "I really like this game" into "holy shit I love magic".

So Vehicles are my second favorite type of Artifact, of course.

I love the goddamn silver card frame too.

Okay I'm going overboard haha
Karn wasn't a golem back in the day.

Wulfric

*leaves Magic for a day*

Holy smokes, who gave ET the Amonkhet spoilers? And unveiling a Desert land too?

/faints

And I love how Mark Poole is getting all these land commissions. Painted Bluffs looks amazing.

I have a friend who loves artifacts, and even vehicles, and the whole of Kaladesh.

He's interning in design at Wizards in a month or so. Weep for the future.

Wulfric

FYI, a lot of Amonkhet pieces are already moving if anyone wants to grab one. Insult to Injury just sold for $7300. I think the way Graciano made a singular painting for both effects was pretty clever.

None of these is innately a problem... as long as he's going into design, anyway. :p

What's his name?

Corey. He's a solid gentleman and loves Magic like no other designer I know, so I have relative confidence in his overall abilities, even if I give him the side-eye every time the matter of vehicles/Kaladesh Standard comes up.

Vehicles would 100% be a non issue if Pithing Needle was in Standard

In fact, name Me a standard that wouldn't be better with Pithing Needle in the format.

In fact, name Me a standard that wouldn't be better with Pithing Needle in the format.

Crap, double posted this. That Red Rare could be the missing link in Red White Hatebears, honestly.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This Entertainment Weekly article has more information about the set beyond the cards it revealed.
* Beyond the shifting sands of the desert are the Broken Lands, containing the ruins of ancient civilizations. No one has gone there and returned to tell of them.

So Bolas rolled in, devastated the plane, built his little city in a bottle to breed warriors, than got de-deified in the mending and its been running along on its own ever since?

This is my favorite setting in quite a while

As tempting as it is to bring in snakes to eat the frogs, and mongooses to eat the snakes, I think sometimes the better solution is not to have a plague of frogs to begin with.

I don't think Vehicles actually contribute anything of value, and they fail some basic design questions that should have been asked before they committed to them, so it's hard for me to want to design around their problems rather than not having the problems to begin with.

Ashodin

So Bolas rolled in, devastated the plane, built his little city in a bottle to breed warriors, than got de-deified in the mending and its been running along on its own ever since?

This is my favorite setting in quite a while

the fact that he didn't make the plane should tell you that he boasted about it dragon style

kirblar

The rationale for Vehicles being "this is something players have asked for for a long time" should have raised a lot of alarm bells.

Violet_0

Banned
the problem vehicles are essentially just a continuation of Mantis Rider - except that they are cheaper, colorless, immune to sorcery speed creature removal and board wipes, and come with the slightly inconvenient downside of requiring crewing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom