• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

At this point they need to ban Gideon, Cat AND Heart. The Gods + Heart. Just nuke everything.
Wait, just realized.

en_zU0ywdXVb1.png

We've already seen that they've shifted back to "<creature type> you control" rather than "<creature type> creatures you control", but Lord of the Accursed also grants menace to all zombies. Even if it being an activated ability and an ability that only matter while declaring blockers means it's rarely relevant that it affects your opponents' zombies too, it's still looser with restrictions than we usually see.
It's relevant in Multiplayer.

Hackworth

Wait, just realized.

en_zU0ywdXVb1.png

We've already seen that they've shifted back to "<creature type> you control" rather than "<creature type> creatures you control", but Lord of the Accursed also grants menace to all zombies. Even if it being an activated ability and an ability that only matter while declaring blockers means it's rarely relevant that it affects your opponents' zombies too, it's still looser with restrictions than we usually see.
Zombie Politics incoming.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wait, just realized.

en_zU0ywdXVb1.png

It needs to work with Tribal Enchantments that can gain menace in the next block. Trust me this is happening muahahahha

traveler

Not Wario
Wonder what the odds are that the black god ties into having less life and if so, if he's undercosted enough for deaths shadow to want.

Violet_0

Banned
someone on reddit said this, but if you think about it, the green god is basically a crew 4 vehicle that doesn't tap your creature &#129300;

Ashodin

This is exactly why Heart needs to be axed lol.

Funny how a "fixed" Smuggler's Copter in Heart at Legendary Artifact still turns out to be too good.

I love getting in the ground floor on when artifacts get broken af lol.

(Was there during Affinity in standard, shit was obnoxious, I destroyed an FNM in Canada when I was in college)

Wife bought 67 packs of random stuff last night from a LGS (came out to something like $220)

We opened everything from Magic 2012 forward that was cheap: I pulled foil Windswept Heath (SCORE) and foil Aether Hub, among other stuff, including the BG Shockland (I forget it's name). I was on a roll last night.

We also pulled Collective Brutality (that card's rate is going up with Amonkhet, you watch) when we already ordered a full playset lmao.

If Gideon is banned and heart is not, green god and heart are going to be a beating in standard
Turn 1 Land Something
Turn 2 Land Heart
Turn 3 Land, Rhonas
Turn 4 Land, Gideon, Crew Heart, swing for 9 with an emblem that effectively reads "Come at the King, you better not miss"

They have to axe Heart, not because it's too strong(it's honestly not when it's crew 3) but it only works on Defense WHEN YOU HAVE TO WEIGH THE IDEA OF LOSING A LOYALTY COUNTER VS DEFENDING YOURSELF/YOUR WALKER. Heart does not fucking work when there's "free" loyalty removal cards like either Gideon.

It's reaching the point where I really think Wizards Needs a big sign of every dumb mistake they've made that could have been avoided with an outsider looking in.

duxstar

The hyperbole here is funny considering that it's universally agreed by the pros that Copycat is worse than mardu vehicles. We don't even know all the cards in the format yet "everything is unplayable but two decks." Also Temur tower is a fair deck last I checked that didn't get pushed out. Then again I'm more optimistic about standard than most in this thread.

Except your missing the ENTIRE point, Temur Tower even amongs your pro's is considered Tier 2; Everything but copycat and Mardu Vehicles is tier 2 and its not close ... its 75% of the metagame.

The reason is

CopyCat - Stops EVERY OTHER FAIR deck, period, it pushes entire decks out of the format, decks that could stop Mardu Vehicles, Decks that can do insanely fun things like put Metalwork Colossus out, it stops Every single deck except for 1 and that is Mardu.

Mardu - The reason this deck can't be hated out is because copycat exists, Mardu is the only deck that can A) Apply enough pressure to not even worry about the combo at all, or B) has enough instant speed answers to answer it.

Thats ALL standard is right now ..... Copycat pushes out every other deck thats not Mardu; Mardu has enough "hate" cards printed for it at the moment, that sure some deck "Might" replace it, but then it will still be a 2 deck format, Copycat vs the New deck.

kirblar

Except your missing the ENTIRE point, Temur Tower even amongs your pro's is considered Tier 2; Everything but copycat and Mardu Vehicles is tier 2 and its not close ... its 75% of the metagame.

The reason is

CopyCat - Stops EVERY OTHER FAIR deck, period, it pushes entire decks out of the format, decks that could stop Mardu Vehicles, Decks that can do insanely fun things like put Metalwork Colossus out, it stops Every single deck except for 1 and that is Mardu.

Mardu - The reason this deck can't be hated out is because copycat exists, Mardu is the only deck that can A) Apply enough pressure to not even worry about the combo at all, or B) has enough instant speed answers to answer it.

Thats ALL standard is right now ..... Copycat pushes out every other deck thats not Mardu; Mardu has enough "hate" cards printed for it at the moment, that sure some deck "Might" replace it, but then it will still be a 2 deck format, Copycat vs the New deck.
/|\

This is how metagames work.

Ashodin

The only reason my deck can hang in the metagame is because it's essentially a variant of the Tier 1 deck, meaning that it's running basically the best cards it can without BEING Mardu Vehicles.

It's satisfying to beat Copycat. The Mardu Vehicles mirror I beat on Saturday with Release the Gremlins so it's a great sideboard tool against it. I also had Incendiary for Scrapheap shenanigans.

Blowing up someone's Heart of Kiran for a gremlin is a great feeling.

But yeah if Copycat wasn't there Mardu would get picked apart like a fucking gremlin horde on a Fleetwheel Cruiser.

Temur Tower is only there because it's the only archetype different enough (but still Tier 2) that shows up on Top 8 lists because it's trying to get in the door but it can't.

Santiako

They should really have banned some stuff in the last date. Now we have to look at all the spoilers through the copycat/Mardu cars lens, only to have to reevaluate them after April 24th.

They should really have banned some stuff in the last date. Now we have to look at all the spoilers through the copycat/Mardu cars lens, only to have to reevaluate them after April 24th.
Actually, wasn't the ban moved to the Monday after full Spoilers, not the Monday after the Pre-release?

Ashodin

Actually, wasn't the ban moved to the Monday after full Spoilers, not the Monday after the Pre-release?

Announcement Date: March 13, 2017

No changes to any format.

The list of all banned and restricted cards, by format, is here.

Next B&R Announcement: April 24, 2017

They want to wait until Amonkhet Pro Tour. What a disaster.

With that kind of movement in the format, we thought it best to gather more data&#8212;including more Grand Prix and the inclusion of Amonkhet at the Pro Tour&#8212;while watching the format continue to shift before making any changes.

My response:
wthayta.gif

My response:
wthayta.gif
Hahahaha, I bet that's going to change

I'm fully expecting Standard to get hit with 3 Bans this time. I think, just maybe, if you ban the the offenders you might have a chance to actually get Standard Healthy again.

Maledict

My response:
wthayta.gif

They were hoping for Temur Tower to become a tier 1 deck. No joke, that's honestly what they wrote as a reason for leaving the cards there.

Gods knows what went wrong at Wizards during the development of Khaladesh. The design seems cool enough, although I still think vehicles are fundamentally dull. But this time it feels like development just dropped the ball - things aren't costed right at all and interactions between cards that we spotted instantly weren't picked up.

Ashodin

IDGAF what some pros think (some probably motivated by owning "the best cards, all the cards worth the most money, just the greatest, just great cards") about bannings in Standard, shit needs to happen to make it healthier for EVERYONE overall.

Whine about your favorite cards getting banned, who cares. Just adjust accordingly and move on.

Also my interpretation of WotC and "Standard shifting":

ZCaPeYM.png

Firemind

They were hoping for Temur Tower to become a tier 1 deck. No joke, that's honestly what they wrote as a reason for leaving the cards there.

Gods knows what went wrong at Wizards during the development of Khaladesh. The design seems cool enough, although I still think vehicles are fundamentally dull. But this time it feels like development just dropped the ball - things aren't costed right at all and interactions between cards that we spotted instantly weren't picked up.
Even during the days of Mirrodin they printed artifact hate in the same set. There was a mono red deck that just played artifact removal and a few big creatures. Affinity was still busted with the artifact lands, but at least Development picked up on needing answers to your busted cards.

A_Dang

I haven't been keeping up with all the green god + heart deck talk, someone please confirm the deck will be called "Snakes on a plane"

Maledict

Putting my grumpy old man hat on for a minute. I actually really dislike how far they have pushed artifacts over the years. They've increased the power level on artifact creatures to the point where they don't seem to have a downside, theyve encroached on enchantment design space to a ridiculous level, and you even get coloured artifacts which seems to defeat the point. It feels like they've been pushed hard at the expense of other bits of the game, and artifact blcks definitely exacerbate that problem. They have to push artifacts so hard to make an artifact block viable, they always break stuff.

Like I said, grumpy old man!

Ashodin

I'm practically the only one you will find in this thread okay with pushed artifacts

It's only because Artifact is my favorite type of card.

I was a lover of Artifact Creature - Golems back in the day (my boy Karn being the best).

Not only that, but when they introduced Equipment (something I saw as a no brainer) It thrust the game from "I really like this game" into "holy shit I love magic".

So Vehicles are my second favorite type of Artifact, of course.

I love the goddamn silver card frame too.

Okay I'm going overboard haha

NsUKnkP.png

Now that's a good ass card.

This guy, Soul-Scar, fling, and what seems to be playable land freezing are looking really good. They seem to be actually trying to re-evaluate Red's identity in the color pie here, and this is the most interesting potentially eternally playable red cards I've seen printed in a Standard set in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom