• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Can someone photoshop "But Temur Tower" on that flooded "But Her Emails" meme?

Quick n dirty

oCsIOnz.png

Ashodin

Absolutely NO doubt they saw the data on MTGO trending toward a one deck format like I did.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/article...banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-26

Why are we making this call now and why didn't we make it in our regular B&R announcement on Monday? The answer is data. We knew going into Monday that the Saheeli-Felidar combo was a significant issue for Standard and were watching it closely. Our rationale for waiting was to make sure we only needed to take one and only one action to correct the Standard environment. Our plan was to monitor early play behavior and pro competition and make a call following Pro Tour Amonkhet.

Since the initial announcement, for the first time ever, we pre-released a new card set on Magic Online before the formal release date. This happened on Monday. What we expected to take a few weeks to understand has ended up taking two days to form a clear picture of a metagame unbalanced by the Copy Cat combo, as even its natural predator, Mardu Vehicles, fell behind. Couple this with consensus among a wide sampling of pros and feedback (and pizza) from our community and we decided to take action.

Saheeli-Felidar's win-loss ratio and metagame share has actually increased since the release of Amonkhet. In Magic Online Standard Leagues since Monday, Saheeli combo has made up approximately 40% of 5-0 and 4-1 decklists—up from prior to Amonkhet's release. While we never take decisions like this lightly and recognize this is a change from the norm, when a plurality of the data points in a clear direction, we will take action.

We also understand we shouldn't let combos like Saheeli-Felidar get out the door in the first place. For that we take ownership and are making changes to try to prevent this from happening again. But our highest priority is keeping Magic fun and enjoyable for our players. We believe this banning coupled with a number of internal testing process improvements will be significant steps toward making Standard the fun, dynamic format we all want it to be in perpetuity.

boom motherfucker, I knew it

bigkrev

So is this an emergency banning?

What changed in the last 48 hours? The card was clearly safe for the format on Monday but now they changed their minds?

It's the right decision, but holy shit why does everything Wizards does seem like they are flailing around with no head?

kirblar

What changed in the last 48 hours? The card was clearly safe for the format on Monday but now they changed their minds?

It's the right decision, but holy shit why does everything Wizards does seem like they are flailing around with no head?
The deck blew up on MTGO while Mardu got decimated.

Turns out printing like 50000 good counterspells did a number to it.

They saw that it was utterly dominating everything on MODO and realized they had made a horrible mistake and that, yes, Copy Cat was going to kill Standard.

Ashodin

The deck blew up on MTGO while Mardu got decimated.

Turns out printing like 50000 good counterspells did a number to it.

Magma Spray + Censor + Manglehorn beat the fuck out of the deck.

Which means two things:

Mardu Vehicles is back with a vengeance but hopefully with safety valves now (UR Control becoming a thing). Other decks can now emerge to take Tier 1 status and a lot of Tier 2 decks will be able to sneak in wins and take down tournaments.

HOORAY

Lucario

This... looks even dumber than not banning it. People bought in after the announcement.

I mean, I know it's correct to ban. Everyone has known that was the right move for months now. Nothing changed in the last few days; Wizards didn't magically get new information about the meta.

I have no idea how you justify an emergency ban two days after an announcement other than incompetence.

kirblar

This... looks even dumber than not banning it. People bought in after the announcement.

I mean, I know it's correct to ban. Everyone has known that was the right move for months now. Nothing changed in the last few days; Wizards didn't magically get new information about the meta.

I have no idea how you justify an emergency ban two days after an announcement other than incompetence.
Charlequin's talked about this before, but they're dangerously out of the loop on some things because of their social media policies.

Magma Spray + Censor + Manglehorn beat the fuck out of the deck.

Which means two things:

Mardu Vehicles is back with a vengeance but hopefully with safety valves now (UR Control becoming a thing). Other decks can now emerge to take Tier 1 status and a lot of Tier 2 decks will be able to sneak in wins and take down tournaments.

HOORAY

Nah. Vehicles has gotten worse and it was largely as dominant as it was because Copy Cat drove all the stuff that could beat it out of the meta.

Repgnar

So does this help negate the people earlier in the week saying standard is in a pretty shitty spot? Out of all the formats standard was the one that appealed to me the most and commander the least before everyone saying the meta was super stale/bad.

DrArchon

Jeeze, I go downstairs to make my dinner and the whole world gets flipped upside down.

I want to applaud WotC for doing what needed to be done, but no. This should've never been allowed to happen, and at the very least, should've never been allowed to exist in standard for as long as it did.

red13th

They should have banned it when they FIRST announced the list. The way they did it, even if the end result is positive for the meta, is disastrous.

bigkrev

It's a good thing the CEO is apparently a gamer, because holy hell an outsider who gets a letter from someone explaining how they bought cards yesterday because they were safe, and then had the company flip-flop and now he was out his money and quitting the game would pull a Bish and make the Magic team a graveyard.

Why should I have any confidence in this team? What haven't they flip-flopped on these last few years?

Ashodin

They should have banned it when they FIRST announced the list. The way they did it, even if the end result is positive for the meta, is disastrous.

They sneakily did something new: release AKH on MTGO first to gather data in rapid time instead of wait it out at tournaments. It's obvious that people follow MTGO lists as the best netdeck targets.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What a shitshow

At least the format can start to rebuild now. A lot of the tech holding down Mardu vehicles is still valid, we should get some new decks

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Charlequin's talked about this before, but they're dangerously out of the loop on some things because of their social media policies.
I am guessing Aaron Forsythe literally started getting concerned about his job.

So does this help negate the people earlier in the week saying standard is in a pretty shitty spot? Out of all the formats standard was the one that appealed to me the most and commander the least before everyone saying the meta was super stale/bad.

This means Standard at least has a chance to be good. With Copy Cat it was going to be terrible for sure.

bigkrev

Felidar Guardian is being banned effective Friday, April 28.

Why are we making this call now and why didn't we make it in our regular B&R announcement on Monday? The answer is data. We knew going into Monday that the Saheeli-Felidar combo was a significant issue for Standard and were watching it closely. Our rationale for waiting was to make sure we only needed to take one and only one action to correct the Standard environment. Our plan was to monitor early play behavior and pro competition and make a call following Pro Tour Amonkhet.

Since the initial announcement, for the first time ever, we pre-released a new card set on Magic Online before the formal release date. This happened on Monday. What we expected to take a few weeks to understand has ended up taking two days to form a clear picture of a metagame unbalanced by the Copy Cat combo, as even its natural predator, Mardu Vehicles, fell behind. Couple this with consensus among a wide sampling of pros and feedback (and pizza) from our community and we decided to take action.

Saheeli-Felidar's win-loss ratio and metagame share has actually increased since the release of Amonkhet. In Magic Online Standard Leagues since Monday, Saheeli combo has made up approximately 40% of 5-0 and 4-1 decklists—up from prior to Amonkhet's release. While we never take decisions like this lightly and recognize this is a change from the norm, when a plurality of the data points in a clear direction, we will take action.

We also understand we shouldn't let combos like Saheeli-Felidar get out the door in the first place. For that we take ownership and are making changes to try to prevent this from happening again. But our highest priority is keeping Magic fun and enjoyable for our players. We believe this banning coupled with a number of internal testing process improvements will be significant steps toward making Standard the fun, dynamic format we all want it to be in perpetuity.

As always, we are looking for feedback. You can tweet @Wizards_Magic or me personally @mtgaaron, contact us on Tumblr, or contact customer support.

Ashodin

Nah. Vehicles has gotten worse and it was largely as dominant as it was because Copy Cat drove all the stuff that could beat it out of the meta.

That's actually good for my Equipment deck. It means I can fly under the radar assuming people think Mardu Vehicles is gone

This makes it so that standard can rebuild itself and lots of wild decks will get played the first week Amonkhet is legal in paper.

Lucario

To think this all could've been avoided if they took testing data from the MTGO beta. Or had even remotely competent players in the FFL.

Like, is it not obvious that a defensive planeswalker and a Rec Sage effect would swing the aggro matchup in its favor? Or that a 4 color deck with great mana would benefit from a set with amazing midrange creatures and lands that help fix consistency issues?

This makes the extra "just to be sure!" ban window after the pro tour look extra embarassing for Wizards. They had three chances to ban this thing and somehow fucked all of them up.

Felidar Guardian should have been banned alongside the release of Aether Revolt.

It should have been banned in the subsequent update.

It should have been banned with the release of Amonkhet.

Getting an emergency ban 48 hours after the third time they declined to ban a card that every fucking person knew needed to be banned immediately reeks of stubbornness.

sgjackson

i have zero qualms with using mtgo data to make banning decisions but having the dog and pony show of a banned list announcement before you collect data and realize your initial decision was woefully wrong is incredibly stupid

Ashodin

i have zero qualms with using mtgo data to make banning decisions but having the dog and pony show of a banned list announcement before you collect data and realize your initial decision was woefully wrong is incredibly stupid

there needed to be more data collection

MORE DATAZ

Aaron Forsythe @mtgaaron
6m
Any time banning cards comes up as a consideration, it means people are unhappy. Change makes different people unhappy. We have to min/max.

Jim Davis @JimDavisMTG
Seriously, #SCGATL just got so fucking exciting. Two days to prepare? It's going to be the god damn wild wild west.

yessssssss

Santiako

Even if they look incompetent and stupid, I'm glad they took swift action and banned this now instead of sticking with it until mid-June.

Tunoku

Well gotta unsleeve my deck for Friday then. The way they handled this was absolutely terrible. Really curious about how the meta develops now though. I have basically all the cards I need for UR control, UR Emerge, Marvel, and BR Zombies. Actually Zombies might be pretty decent now, but it probably has a rough time handling the Constrictor decks. Insolate Neonate into Bonepicker seems really neat though.

Kyuur

Have been thinking about getting back into FNM booster drafts since the semester has ended. I played a lot of drafts in MTGO back in the day and also played Hex drafts. In both I would sell my cards to help offset draft costs. I'm thinking about going physical so I can interact with the local community more (and also to play way less, no binging drafts when you can only go in once a week :lol:), is this viable IRL too? I'm not really too familiar with the ins-and-outs of physical second-hand-MTG. Can I just sell all my cards (incl. commons for pennies or just give away I guess) to the local shop or will they only be looking for specific stuff? Is there e-commerce set up for this kind of stuff away from generic sites like eBay? Any tips would be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom