• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't follow this format at all, but this thing is fun:

captureeajaa.png

Ashodin

Hey GAF, I mocked up a BW Lifegain deck designed to abuse Crested Sunmare. I might end up making it, or something similar to it for FNM.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/life-on-the-range/

I might not end up making this exact deck, because I love to procrastinate and could end up just waiting for rotation, in which case I'd remove the rotating cards and see what Ixalan has for lifegain. The biggest thing I'm worried about are the number of double color mana costs in there. Gifted Aetherborn is BB, Aerial Responder has WW, etc, and there are almost no decent BW dual lands (though Shambling Vent is perfect and it's gonna bite when it leaves standard).

Thought? Helpful criticism? Should I give up on Lifegain Ponies altogether?

Link doesn't work? Also Concealed Courtyard + Shambling Vent + Aether Hub not good enough?

SCG
Invitational standard 7-1 or better decks

I really didn't expect decks based around Oketra's Monument to be the breakout decks of the standard portion of the tournament, and they look awesome to boot!

They're actually sneakily-named Militia Captain decks.

A bit disappointed no one's running a W/R version with the Garrison and Thalia's Lieutenants, but I get that it really jams up the 2/3 drop slots with too much that's vulnerable to disruption.

A_Dang

ISD packs are like half of ZEN or RAV and should go together pretty nicely with SOI.
I had been thinking about Innistrad. Both blocks have really good connecting mechanics and could probably make a fun deck. The two down sides to me are that I really don't like the aesthetic for the plane and that ISD is the only set with one really sweet chase card...

If I wanted to be more competitive I think I'd build Kaladesh/Aether Revolt or keep it on Amonket...but it really is more about cracking some spicy packs for me...I still am probably on the Mirrodin train.

Wow not even Vintage Cube makes Frank Lepore's videos watchable.
Sometimes I sit through his videos because I have nothing else to watch. They are really boring.

Santiako

I had been thinking about Innistrad. Both blocks have really good connecting mechanics and could probably make a fun deck. The two down sides to me are that I really don't like the aesthetic for the plane and that ISD is the only set with one really sweet chase card...

If I wanted to be more competitive I think I'd build Kaladesh/Aether Revolt or keep it on Amonket...but it really is more about cracking some spicy packs for me...I still am probably on the Mirrodin train.

Sometimes I sit through his videos because I have nothing else to watch. They are really boring.

If you are doing ten booster battle of the planes I'd get ravnica block (two of each), rtrx2, gatecrashx2.

Murder

They're actually sneakily-named Militia Captain decks.

A bit disappointed no one's running a W/R version with the Garrison and Thalia's Lieutenants, but I get that it really jams up the 2/3 drop slots with too much that's vulnerable to disruption.

Yeah. I wouldn't kick a R/W Monument Exert deck outta bed, ya dig?

Also, no colossus deck in the 7-1 lists :(. Been trying to decide on what to build after I get bored of Zombies but it's so hard to invest in any cards with rotation coming so soon.

Yeah. I wouldn't kick a R/W Monument Exert deck outta bed, ya dig?

Also, no colossus deck in the 7-1 lists :(. Been trying to decide on what to build after I get bored of Zombies but it's so hard to invest in any cards with rotation coming so soon.
Colossus has always been a bad combo deck.

Congrats you build a crappy deck to get some vanilla beaters out on the cheap.

DrArchon

Link doesn't work? Also Concealed Courtyard + Shambling Vent + Aether Hub not good enough?

Sorry, had it set to private. Anyway, I'm scrapping that deck. Don't bother looking over it.

I'm thinking about a slower BW Lifegain deck. I'm very interested in the combo of Anointed Procession + Crested Sunmare, because getting two indestructible 5/5 tokens every turn seems really good. Throw in some Anointer Priests, some token making spells, some Sacred Cats and I should have a decent brew going.

Tunoku

PPTQ went terribly, I'm just not a midrange player. Probably gonna take a break from Standard for a while to play more Modern and Limited this summer. I do wanna try out UR control again with the new tools it gained. BTW, only one player at the PPTQ showed up with UR control today. And he beat me.

Crocodile

*Tunes into LRR Pre-Release stream*

*Hears them amking jokes about Neptunia, waifus and "top nep"*

Huh....not what I expected LOL

Ashodin

Sorry, had it set to private. Anyway, I'm scrapping that deck. Don't bother looking over it.

I'm thinking about a slower BW Lifegain deck. I'm very interested in the combo of Anointed Procession + Crested Sunmare, because getting two indestructible 5/5 tokens every turn seems really good. Throw in some Anointer Priests, some token making spells, some Sacred Cats and I should have a decent brew going.

Why not the Mirror to make a copy of the Sunmare? Then you get both indestructible and make 2 tokens as well that way.

Violet_0

Banned

I'd say use the Abzan token deck as the base and then find a spot for the mare. There's already token synergy prebuilt into the deck

---
for anyone new to drafting or sealed or magic in general, check out draftsim

I'm going to miss pre-release again, but I'm not terribly in love with the set anyway

Matt Tabak on the LRR Preprerelease was a gas. Guy is non-stop. I know a bunch of people at the LGS would absolutely despise playing with him, but he's the kind of guy who is exactly why I like playing EDH.

Eet's only game, why you hav to be mad?

A_Dang

If you are doing ten booster battle of the planes I'd get ravnica block (two of each), rtrx2, gatecrashx2.
I am super nostalgic for the original Ravnica block (it was the first block I got into MTG with), so it's second on my list after Mirrodin and New Phrexia.

So, aside from Ravnica and Innistrad it doesn't seem like anyone is pushing for any other plane. I have no idea how I'd manage Dominaria, but that could be sweet. I even think doing something like Tarkir could be cool (4x Khans, 3x Fate and Dragons is what I've considered), even Theros could produce a fun and quick sealed deck across all 3 sets in the block.

Anyway, thanks for the input! I'll be sure to update with what ever I end up with and how poorly I end up doing with pulls and winning games!

Violet_0

Banned
I am super nostalgic for the original Ravnica block (it was the first block I got into MTG with), so it's second on my list after Mirrodin and New Phrexia.

So, aside from Ravnica and Innistrad it doesn't seem like anyone is pushing for any other plane. I have no idea how I'd manage Dominaria, but that could be sweet. I even think doing something like Tarkir could be cool (4x Khans, 3x Fate and Dragons is what I've considered), even Theros could produce a fun and quick sealed deck across all 3 sets in the block.

Anyway, thanks for the input! I'll be sure to update with what ever I end up with and how poorly I end up doing with pulls and winning games!
be a cool kid and play Kamigawa block

A_Dang

be a cool kid and play Kamigawa block
Unfortunately one of my goals is to keep it under $100...which means Kamigowa is out. If I had unlimited funds it would be on my shortlist. Again, since I started playing when Ravnica came out I used to see Kamigowa packs floating around and would feel like they were the rare packs that hadn't been picked up yet. I was always looking for and buying them when I found any.

DrArchon

Why not the Mirror to make a copy of the Sunmare? Then you get both indestructible and make 2 tokens as well that way.

Not a fan of having to pay two mana every turn to keep it as a copy of Sunmare. Still, I'll keep that in mind.

I'd say use the Abzan token deck as the base and then find a spot for the mare. There's already token synergy prebuilt into the deck

I looked into the Abzan decks, but the one thing that worries me there is the amount of cards that will rotate out in the Fall.

----

Here's what I have so far:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pony-procession-v2/

One card I'm keen to keep is Fumigate. It may seem counter-intuitive for a token deck to wipe the board, but the Horse tokens will survive (albeit without indestructible afterwards) and they have zero evasion, meaning that I can safely wipe the board and leave 10 or 15 power there unblocked and close the game out.

The other option I have is waiting for rotation and seeing what Ixalan brings to the table. Without spoiling any of the cards revealed, is BW lifegain a thing in Ixalan?

Violet_0

Banned
The other option I have is waiting for rotation and seeing what Ixalan brings to the table. Without spoiling any of the cards revealed, is BW lifegain a thing in Ixalan?

white vampires with lifelink and iirc life gain synergy, yeah

deck probably needs more ways to trigger Sunmare the turn you play it. Bontu should also be quite good

Wulfric

Open House story time: I couldn't make it this weekend, but my brother could. They got the usual freebie decks and it was a fun time apparently. At some point an old timer walked in and donated a couple boxes to the people who were playing. My brother asked multiple times if this guy was sure and he ended up leaving with:

1x Legion foil Seedborn Muse
2x Azusa
1x Through the Breach
1x Brushland
1x Phyrexian Altar
1x Idyllic Tutor
1x Chris Rush foil Mana Leak
4x Guildpact Leyline of the Void

plus other Morningtide-Shadowmoor era cards. Hopefully he comes back around because this was ridiculously generous of him.

sOnrvuR.png

i don't know why he's upset

i'm playing upheaval

lol the salt at "good job you drew it".

On another note, I am trying to make a Standard Consulate Dreadnought deck and I think I am on the wrong path, missing something. I think 3-power creatures are key and Blossoming Defense seems like a solid defense choice. I feel like White is an obvious colour and Peacewalker Colossus is probably good. Is Black the better pair than Green, though? The 1-mana elephant can tap before it returns to hand, so that seems sweet.

EDIT: My current thinking:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/consulate-dreaddy/

EDIT2: Hmm, I guess you can't partially Crew so the elephant is a little less sweet. Still like the 1-mana cost though.

The Dread can be crewed on Turn 2, but that's a stretch, I think.

I can't shake the feeling that Black is better with Scrapheap Scrounger and better removal to pave the way for Dread-Dad.

Shite example:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wb-consulate-dreaddy/

Murderous Compulsion for the Key to the City thing?

DrArchon

On another note, I am trying to make a Standard Consulate Dreadnought deck and I think I am on the wrong path, missing something. I think 3-power creatures are key and Blossoming Defense seems like a solid defense choice. I feel like White is an obvious colour and Peacewalker Colossus is probably good. Is Black the better pair than Green, though? The 1-mana elephant can tap before it returns to hand, so that seems sweet.

EDIT: My current thinking:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/consulate-dreaddy/

EDIT2: Hmm, I guess you can't partially Crew so the elephant is a little less sweet. Still like the 1-mana cost though.

The Dread can be crewed on Turn 2, but that's a stretch, I think.

I can't shake the feeling that Black is better with Scrapheap Scrounger and better removal to pave the way for Dread-Dad.

Shite example:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wb-consulate-dreaddy/

Murderous Compulsion for the Key to the City thing?

Why not Abzan? You aren't looking at a bunch of cards with double colored mana costs. Pretty much everything is colorless or colorless + single color, except for maybe Grasp of Darkness if you want it. I'd mock up an Abzan build and see if it fits your taste, because you're right you do need that better removal to make sure your dreadnoughts get in for damage.

Santiako

I'm watching the finals of the SCG invitational right now and I love that Monowhite Death and Taxes has rised to the prime anti-Death's Shadow deck. If it lands a turn 1 Vial it basically can't lose.

Ashodin

Abzan is the faction that does it, and yes.

On the mirror, was more treating it as sunmare 5-6.

I'm watching the finals of the SCG invitational right now and I love that Monowhite Death and Taxes has rised to the prime anti-Death's Shadow deck. If it lands a turn 1 Vial it basically can't lose.
game 3 was glorious thoughseize a quadruple blade splicer hand.

Followed by salt scoop after a mirran crusader is dropped. All on a single colourless land.

DrArchon

Abzan is the faction that does it, and yes.

On the mirror, was more treating it as sunmare 5-6.

Ok, if it's Abzan that's about lifegain in Ixalan, I might bite the bullet and get some Blooming Marshes. Going Abzan would also give me Blossoming Defense, which would help with any attempts to remove my precious horses.

I'm still iffy on Mirage Mirror. Giving the original Sunmare indestructible sounds nice, but I fear for the moment when I topdeck it following something like a Descend upon the Sinful. Still, I'll look into it and if I come up wanting for more cards, I'll think about it.

I mean, it's hilarious that MonoWhite(and even GW) D&T are doing well in a Death Shadow World because it turns out turning off Fetches/ProBlack/the removal of Bolt as the default answer, because the deck hates Bolt.

Now, Wizards, can we just please get a Vial Reprint? Pretty please? That's like the only thing preventing me from switching to MonoWhite from GW(well, that and the "Screw your Discard" that is the 4 Smiter 3 Land hand)

Ozigizo

I mean, it's hilarious that MonoWhite(and even GW) D&T are doing well in a Death Shadow World because it turns out turning off Fetches/ProBlack/the removal of Bolt as the default answer, because the deck hates Bolt.

Now, Wizards, can we just please get a Vial Reprint? Pretty please? That's like the only thing preventing me from switching to MonoWhite from GW(well, that and the "Screw your Discard" that is the 4 Smiter 3 Land hand)

Vial and Chalice both need reprints. Hopefully in something that isn't a specialty set

traveler

Not Wario
Would love it if tomorrow's modern ptq was a bunch of dnt, deaths shadow, and affinity fighting it out- jeskai is favored against all of those fairly heavily.

Geez, just noticed that Chalices are up to $80. That's too damn high.

I would definitely expect A25 to include several targeted cards just to address the short but important "expensive non-reserved cards" list. Chalice is a pretty good option as a rare for that set, I think.

So Death and Taxes is Death's Shadow's biggest enemy?

Can anyone explain a bit? Out of the modern loop.
Okay, so Grixis Death's Shadow runs 18-19 Lands, but of these, only about 6-8 are Mana producing. It's possible for Death and Taxes to lock Grixis out of their Mana producing lands+activating Fetches with the Leonin Arbiter/Ghost Quarter Interaction(which basically is a 2 card strip mine)
Haha that would be awesome. And as a Jund player, also scary.
Wilted Abzan was my first love, and I long for the days when it shall return.
Vial and Chalice both need reprints. Hopefully in something that isn't a specialty set
Yeah, both are reaching that critical point of "Too Pricey" for what they are. Imo, unless the card is on the reserved list, there's no reason for the card to be above $100 on the secondary market(unless that card is blowing up in every format like Baby Jace back during 2015, and even then I'm skeptical)
Horizon Canopy is a card that should NOT cost $90. This is wrong and I hate WotC for not reprinting it.
They reprinted it, so I don't see what the problem is.

As an expedition

Seriously though, Grove and Canopy, not to mention any of the other $20+ lands in modern are way too expensive relative to their use 90% of the time

kirblar

I hadn't really looked too hard at the decklists before but this:
Grixis Death's Shadow runs 18-19 Lands, but of these, only about 6-8 are Mana producing
Is actually a strong argument for a Street Wraith ban if you're going to hit the deck. (This is an abnormally low number of lands)

I hadn't really looked too hard at the decklists before but this:

Is actually a strong argument for a Street Wraith ban if you're going to hit the deck. (This is an abnormally low number of lands)
There's a recent variant of the deck that goes even lower in land count to play a couple sleight of hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom