• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

If the Hall of Fame was strictly a measure of competitive success, they should just take the voting away from all the pros and define a clear level of success/pro points to get in. The mere fact that you get to vote at all should clue you in that it's not strictly about results.
I don't think HOF consideration should solely be based on tournament results though. LSV has the resume to back it up, but he also adds to the community by streaming and commentating. He's an ambassador which is important to consider too, just like how Bram Snepvangers helps out as a judge and as a tournament organizer. He's part of the reason I could grow as a competitive player in my youth.

It's certainly not the most disappointing small set of all time (fuck you Dragon's Maze), but it's fitting that the last small set ever is a big wet fart.

At least that gave us Voice of Resurgence. I don't think HoD is handing over any staples. It's like, not redeeming at all, it seems. Maybe for Commander. Maybe.

At least that gave us Voice of Resurgence. I don't think HoD is handing over any staples. It's like, not redeeming at all, it seems. Maybe for Commander. Maybe.
I wouldn't be surprised if Nimble Obstructionist or Crucible on a stick became staples.

Hour of Revelation looks like an instant EDH staple.

kirblar

Stephen Menendian: "This set is nuts. Why are people complaining about it? Look at all the cards we just spoke about"
3 really strong Modern/eternal cards (Obstructionist, Crucible on a Stick, Solemnity) + a bunch of sweepers

What on earth is he so hyped about?

I wouldn't be surprised if Nimble Obstructionist or Crucible on a stick became staples.

Hour of Revelation looks like an instant EDH staple.

Nimble Obstructionist and Ramunap Excavator aren't too shabby. I'd like to see how they affect anything in Modern.

Not being Mythic rarity and an overall low EV of the set will keep them very affordable compared to VoR.

bigkrev

3 really strong Modern/eternal cards (Obstructionist, Crucible on a Stick, Solemnity) + a bunch of sweepers

What on earth is he so hyped about?

At the point in the pod where he says that, they had deemed the following as "will see at least 1 T8"

Leave/Chance
Hollow One
Solemnity
Abrade
Tragic Lesson
Ramunap Excavator

and that's about 1/2 of the show so far. They were really sour on Amonkhet, basically only thinking the XR destroy artifact spell was playable

Tunoku

I managed to cast a 4/4 Flier with a mini Fact or Fiction attached to it for 1UU today. It felt great.

I bombed the draft. Breaking: aggro decks are still good

Let's play a game called which to cut/keep from Tiaigam

Expensive spell wincon: Keep Rise from the Grave because you can rebound it.

Spot Removal: I'd cut Reality Shift

Control Magic: I'd cut Evangelize. Most decks at most points will have a badish creature to give you, and while it can take over the game long term, you likely have more important things to be doing.

Draw: Keep Fact or Fiction, and probably cut the other two.

Wrath: Keep Austere Command and Hour of Revelation, unless you have a way of casting Restore Balance on a moment's notice.

Counters: Cut Warping Wail. Not sure after that.

Tutors: No idea.

Utility: Might want to consider Miraculous Recovery over Resurrection for that sweet sweet instant speed. Rest in Peace and Capsize seem like definite keeps.

traveler

Not Wario
While most of the HoD rares do a good job of watering down the Prince format that was AMK limited, man, these new gods are just insane. They are a huge step up from the mono color gods and take over games nearly immediately. Glorybringer has company now.

I think Ranumap Excavator has a pretty strong chance at shifting the dominant modern hatebears deck into gw rather than straight white. The land destruction potential is just so powerful, especially against ds.

While most of the HoD rares do a good job of watering down the Prince format that was AMK limited, man, these new gods are just insane. They are a huge step up from the mono color gods and take over games nearly immediately. Glorybringer has company now.

I think Ranumap Excavator has a pretty strong chance at shifting the dominant modern hatebears deck into gw rather than straight white. The land destruction potential is just so powerful, especially against ds.

Hatebears has been GW for the longest time. Basically, a distinction between Hatebears and D&T in Modern is this:

Hatebears is Aggro First, Disrupt Second vs Death and Taxes being Disrupt First, Aggro second. Wizards has a very, very bad habit of misnaming the decks/assuming they are one and the same.

Secondly, I'm still not sold on Excavator being great in Modern. I think it's worth an attempt (and I'll be getting 2 this weekend hopefully) with Azusa+GQ, but I'm not sure I can get behind it (barring, of course, a drastic shift in the deck to focus on the 3 Drop Slot/becoming Todd Steven's GW Company Deck in Disguise)

Ashodin

I also guarantee you will see the Scorpion God in standard. Almost all the gods are fucking insane if left to untap with them.

Violet_0

Banned
I also guarantee you will see the Scorpion God in standard. Almost all the gods are fucking insane if left to untap with them.

he just happens to be in the wrong colors. Aside from Soul-Scar Mage, I don't think red really supports a -1/-1 theme, so to get the most out of him you need to add green

Ashodin

he just happens to be in the wrong colors. Aside from Soul-Scar Mage, I don't think red really supports a -1/-1 theme, so to get the most out of him you need to add green

Which is totally fine. Jund is not that hard to build a mana base for, and you can run Snek for -2/-2 counters (gross)

traveler

Not Wario
Hatebears has been GW for the longest time. Basically, a distinction between Hatebears and D&T in Modern is this:

Hatebears is Aggro First, Disrupt Second vs Death and Taxes being Disrupt First, Aggro second. Wizards has a very, very bad habit of misnaming the decks/assuming they are one and the same.

Secondly, I'm still not sold on Excavator being great in Modern. I think it's worth an attempt (and I'll be getting 2 this weekend hopefully) with Azusa+GQ, but I'm not sure I can get behind it (barring, of course, a drastic shift in the deck to focus on the 3 Drop Slot/becoming Todd Steven's GW Company Deck in Disguise)

Oh yeah, good point. I haven't played the archetype in modern, so I wasn't as familiar with the distinctions between the two.

I need to check out Todd Stevens' stream to see if he updates the list for it and how it does. I have to imagine its a great include.

Justin

I have Marshall's sealed HOU video he posted yesterday playing and am cracking up at one of the matches

Turn 2 play Hapatra
Turn 3 play Ammit Eternal
Opponent scoops.

Ringo

So, is it already known how Hour of Devastation ends story wise? Gatewatch loses and Bolas is off with his army?

Or am I missing something?

Supast4r

Scorpion god doesn't need a -1/-1 theme. He is very good on his own as a control finisher. He's similar to Olivia voldaren

DrArchon

So, is it already known how Hour of Devastation ends story wise? Gatewatch loses and Bolas is off with his army?

Or am I missing something?

I think it was leaked a while ago. If I recall it was...

Bolas fucks the Gatewatch up and they each panic-planeswalk away, presumably somewhere different. No one dies as far as I remember. Bolas can't be off with his army because he doesn't have a planear portal yet.

I think it was leaked a while ago. If I recall it was...

Bolas fucks the Gatewatch up and they each panic-planeswalk away, presumably somewhere different. No one dies as far as I remember. Bolas can't be off with his army because he doesn't have a planear portal yet.
That's from the art book, which is apparently pretty unreliable as it gets finalized way before the story does.

DrArchon

That's from the art book, which is apparently pretty unreliable as it gets finalized way before the story does.

Ah, my bad. I'm still going to assume that's what happens because it honestly seems the most likely to me
I figure if any of them were going to die for reals they'd show it on a card definitively

Daedardus

Ah, my bad. I'm still going to assume that's what happens because it honestly seems the most likely to me
I figure if any of them were going to die for reals they'd show it on a card definitively

Jace certainly isn't since he's getting a new card in Ixalan.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Magic Story: Hour of Eternity

I'll let Sigma summarise this and I'll read that :p

This was my favourite part:

"This is not the end, Nicol Bolas" said Jace, the Living Guildpact, member of the Gatewatch™.

Nicol Bolas, God-Pharoah turned his baleful gaze on the withering members of the Gatewatch. It was like all the fires of burning Amonkhet were contained within their fury. "This. Is. The. End." He roared with a voice so huge it shook the foundations of the pyramid so hard that the floating pointy bit on top fell to the ground with a huge crash.

Beside Jace, the Living Guildpact, two other members of the Gatewatch™, Nissa and Chandra, sought each other's comfort. So much destruction was causing more than just Chandra's hair to burn. She reached out and took Nissa's hand, drew it close to her lips. Nissa shuddered, and she nearly forgot about the elvish supremacy that lived in the darkest parts of her soul.

Nicol Bolas, God-Pharoah turned back to his art project. It was a towering mural of hieroglyphics, larger than a building on Ravnica. Using the delicate tip of his enormous claw, he returned to carving Chandra's chain boob armour with startling detail. He became so absored in his work that the Gatewatch were able to Planeswalk away.

The end.

Poppy

this draft format is just turn your cards sideways: the gathering

i know its complainy but i had such a sweet fraying sanity combo deck that i hoped could snag more than one win, but theres literally no way to block the opponents creatures right now and blue has garbo removal

unless you have a ridiculous amount of removal i think you are just supposed to kill them before they kill you

Neoweee

this draft format is just turn your cards sideways: the gathering

i know its complainy but i had such a sweet fraying sanity combo deck that i hoped could snag more than one win, but theres literally no way to block the opponents creatures right now and blue has garbo removal

unless you have a ridiculous amount of removal i think you are just supposed to kill them before they kill you

lots of removal, and two common walls (the artifact that dings the opponent and the W guy that gains life), combined with the fairly good removal, are probably the main things slowing the format down. There's few good two drops now, relative to 3x Amonkhet, I think?

Poppy

then im saying blue sucks for defense and blue/green seems bad unless you are crushing them with giant monsters, which seems too slow to accomplish anyway. you cant block shit with afflict, toughness is totally worthless and the aggressive colors have plenty of ways to destroy your defenses

good removal seems to be in jund colors and those colors are the ones that smashed through all my creatures and killed me in five turns.

maybe theres good defensive options in white but i havent played it. i won some sketchy control games on my first draft because i played red and got the wrath and a ton of other removal, but it still didnt seem great

DrArchon

There's some good removal in white as well. You've got that Arrest variant that gains 3 life if you have a desert, and you've got Sandblast and Farm. Red/Black obviously still kings of removal, but you can make it work.

Blue doesn't have a lot to work with here, though the enchantment that prevents them from untapping and taps them if you have a desert put in a lot of work for me at pre-release.

Poppy

yeah blue was super open and i was even drafting a dumb desert deck but i didnt get any of those. would have certainly helped.

illusory wrappings remains garbo

edit: i know mill is bad, duh. but chumping is garbage against afflict, the creatures are cheap and unsummon is terrible unless you are applying pressure, flash bird is too weak to matter. i just think theres no valid gameplan other than tempo attack your opponent to death as soon as possible, so any slow blue card actually seems just bad to draft. flyers are probably still fine. river hoopoe seems sweet but again i think its too slow to matter

thats why i think its about turning things sideways

Justin

Its also possible that drafting around milling is just... bad

Defensively blue has the 2 flash birds, thirst, unsummon, and a few 1/3s and a 2/4. also some small creatures you can chump and bring back as 4/4s.

Yeef

From my experience so far, this format seems like it's about a turn slower than Amonkhet. Red is still the best color, but because the format's a little slower, green seems to edge out white a bit for #2. Blue is actually more aggressive that it was in AKH, so I think, overall it's gotten better. I think black has lost the most speed, but has a better mid-to-late game than it did in triple Amonkhet.

The removal in this set, overall, feels a lot stronger than Amonkhet and there's fewer bomb rares, so I'm hopeful that it allows more controlling decks to slow things down. Blockers without power are fairly useless in this format though. In Amonkhet, cards like Dune Beetle were mediocre, but a good outlet for dumping counters on, at the very least. In Hour, the only card that puts counters on your own guys is Lethal Sting, so they don't even have that going for them anymore.

Magic Story - Hour of Eternity
* This shows the arrival of the Eternals from the perspective of a variety of characters, none of whom have appeared before. All of them die.
* In the first, angels announce the arrival of the Eternals, led by the Scarab God.
* Nylah never saw the point in having faith when the gods walked among them, but now she understands. She feels religious ecstasy as Eternals kill her.
* Asenue fights off two Eternals at once. Her fighting style is specialized against multiple foes, but her opponents aren't tiring. She just tries to live from one breath to the next, protecting the people fleeing out of the city. She feels love for them all as she finally falls.
* Genub is looking for his beloved Makare. Romantic relationships are prohibited, but they declared their love for each other anyway. They were fleeing together, but were separated by a blast of fire from an Eternal. He is able to find her again, but she's been enchanted by Threads of Disloyalty. He thinks their love will break the spell, but it doesn't, and she kills him.
* Kawit is a follower of Oketra. While mummies embalm Oketra (didn't know they could do that), she takes one of Oketra's arrows to use as a spear. She easily kills an Eternal with it, and rushes toward Bolas, all combat damage to her being prevented as she exerts herself. She hurls the arrow, but Bolas easily deflects it. He tells her she could have been useful at another time, and walks away. The Eternals kill her after her turn ends.
* Amenakthe is bleeding, having protected a child with his body as Eternals stabbed him. He reflects on how he once saw his biological son. Though it goes against social norms to acknowledge that, he was proud. The child he is protecting isn't his son, but he still felt the need to protect him. A woman comes up to him, and he begs her to save the child. She knows the child is already dead, but she agrees, and he dies in peace.

y2dvd

What's the higher pick, Torment of Venom or Lethal Sting?

Torment of Venom is 4cmc but is at instant, making combat tricky. Plus it gives minus counters in a set where it matters.

Lethal Sting is 3cmc but more of a setback with the -1/-1 counter on your creature, but at least you kill a creature flat out.

Santiako

What's the higher pick, Torment of Venom or Lethal Sting?

Torment of Venom is 4cmc but is at instant, making combat tricky. Plus it gives minus counters in a set where it matters.

Lethal Sting is 3cmc but more of a setback with the -1/-1 counter on your creature, but at least you kill a creature flat out.

Torment of Venom would be my pick almost all the time. You can't even cast Lethal Sting if you don't control a creature.

DrArchon

Torment of Venom would be my pick almost all the time. You can't even cast Lethal Sting if you don't control a creature.

My thoughts exactly. I'd only pick Lethal Sting over Torment if I had a ton of creatures already and was just barely splashing black.

9/10 times though, Torment of Venom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom