• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

EjB3M7J.png

no

Zocano

I've been mulling over my desire to make that artifact focused deck and here's what I've come up with so far. Note: I'm having post rotation in mind right now.

LAND (24)

4x Darksteel Citadel
4x Shivan Reef
8x Island
8x Mountain

CREATURES (21)

4x Ornithopter
4x Chief Engineer
4x Juggernaut
4x Will-Forged Golem
3x Scuttling Doom Engine
2x Soul of New Phyrexia

NON-CREATURES (14)

4x Shrapnel Blast
4x Dissipate
3x Act on Impulse
2x Ensoul Artifact
2x Polymorphist's Jest

SIDEBOARD (15)

4x Negate
4x Aeronaut Tinkerer
2x Polymorphist's Jest
2x Phyrexian Revoker
2x Tormod's Crypt
1x Soul of New Phyrexia

The sideboard
everything
is kind of thrown together, but other than that I feel like the deck could be viable. Or at least have some sort of stable template. I don't think this is quite it, I could shave it down around some places. I haven't played standard recently so I don't know how the meta "feels" right now, but I'm gonna miss having green to deal with gods when they drop. This is definitely an aggro creature deck which I tend to not like to play but there are several neat synergies going on that seem to make it much more interesting to play. This is especially so with ChristmasLand Act on Impulse plays that could occur (potentially being able to drop all the cards I pull with convoke and such).

I think the hardest thing will be trying to keep my creatures protected but that's where Ensoul Artifact comes in. I can slap that onto Darksteel Citadel and go ham with it. Maybe I should use 4x of it, but I'm not sure. I want it to be fast but I'd need Chief Engineer to be there to let me get my fatter creatures down quick (Doom Engine and Soul).

Lucario

Alison is handling this significantly better than Worth is. I'm really sick of half-assed apologies that imply misunderstandings are the community's fault, especially when there's no promise to improve in the future.

I'm not even convinced that Worth thinks there's a problem here. The wording was so ambiguous that even the associate community manager was convinced that queues would run until Khans.

That isn't being a "little too cute with the wording". It's failing to communicate something that should be very clear.

You cannot use a counterspell-type effect on this, as you are not "casting" a spell, you are using an effect to put a card into play. You would need to use something like Stifle or Voidslime to counter this ability.

Awesome my friends blue deck has so many fucking cancels and manaleaks. I can handle the manaleaks but cancel is a bitch. Then he pulls out aetherling and I'm screwed.

hiryu

I haven't played magic in years besides the Duel games on steam and iPad but playing Hearthstone has me wanting to play it again. Is Magic Online fairly easy to get into? I see a new core set releases this weekend and if you sign up for a magic online account you can use your free points to join a sealed deck tournament. Would that be a good way to start? I also see that a new version of duel just came out on the ipad, should I get that too?

Awesome my friends blue deck has so many fucking cancels and manaleaks. I can handle the manaleaks but cancel is a bitch. Then he pulls out aetherling and I'm screwed.

From your previous post, you're making a deck based on Shadowborn Apostle and demons, am I correct? While it's important that you can consistently bring out six Apostles, if Aetherling is a big problem for you, you may want to put in Pithing Needle or Phyrexian Revoker, which will prevent it from activating abilities. Otherwise, what you want to do is just slow down the Aetherling. If you cast a kill spell while it's attacking, it will probably exile itself, but that means it won't be attacking anymore. Your friend probably only has one in his deck, so if you get a demon out and destroy it while it's attacking at least once, you can probably outrace it.

For counterspells, if they bother you a lot, black has cards that allow you to search your opponent's library for cards and exile them. The ones with low mana costs tend to be pretty expensive, but the upcoming Stain the Mind uses convoke, and I imagine that could be cast reasonably easily by your deck.

kirblar

Getting some mixed messages here...
They're not mixed at all? Boxes suck. Singles are incredibly cheap for this set.

4 of Magic: the Gathering - Soul of Innistrad (115/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Goblin Rabblemaster (145/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Necromancer's Stockpile (108/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Perilous Vault (224/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - AEtherspouts (044/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Return to the Ranks (029/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Crucible of Fire (139/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient (153/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Chief Engineer (047/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Aggressive Mining (127/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Yisan, the Wanderer Bard (209/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Genesis Hydra (176/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Hushwing Gryff (015/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Soul of Ravnica (078/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Life's Legacy (183/269) - Magic 2015

= $60

Take out the Vaults and the Gryffs, its half that...

Edit - also grabbed off TCGP

4x Soul of Zen at 1.50 each
4x Spirit Bonds at .73 each
4x Preeminent Captain at 1.12 each
4x Obelisk of Urd at .45
4x Polymorphist's Jest at .90

And then picked up Nissas at 17 and a set of sliver hives at $2.55 + 1 Dack to get the Billmelater promo. Hive probably not a good buy, but needed to fill a $10 gap.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
They're not mixed at all? Boxes suck. Singles are incredibly cheap for this set.

4 of Magic: the Gathering - Soul of Innistrad (115/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Goblin Rabblemaster (145/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Necromancer's Stockpile (108/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Perilous Vault (224/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - AEtherspouts (044/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Return to the Ranks (029/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Crucible of Fire (139/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient (153/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Chief Engineer (047/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Aggressive Mining (127/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Yisan, the Wanderer Bard (209/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Genesis Hydra (176/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Hushwing Gryff (015/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Soul of Ravnica (078/269) - Magic 2015
4 of Magic: the Gathering - Life's Legacy (183/269) - Magic 2015

= $60

Take out the Vaults and the Gryffs, its half that.

What store are you using?

ultron87

I got some 8 dollar Chords off Amazon. Since I know I'll play those at some point and that's a little to significantly less than SCG and the like.

bigkrev

Bought everything Kirblar listed except the Vault.

I should note that I pretty much exclusivly use Amazon if i'm buying Standard cards. The only bad experience was a store that did not ship my playset of Underworld Connections, refunded my money as soon as I inquired.

Zocano

I usually don't purchase cards I don't care much for but several of these seem like they'll be more than just the $1 rare. Feel like I can save myself some cash by not grabbing everything (and more) on that list.

kirblar

I usually don't purchase cards I don't care much for but several of these seem like they'll be more than just the $1 rare. Feel like I can save myself some cash by not grabbing everything (and more) on that list.
Yeah, they're either super cheap (sub $2 for a playset) or might go big because of how bad this set's value is in general.

Lucario

thanks for the heads-up kirblar, just made my preorders --

mythics:
4x Nissa, Worldwaker
4x Soul of Shandalar
3x Soul of Innistrad
4x Soul of Ravnica
4x Perilous Vault

rares:

4x Hushwing Gryff
8x Return to the Ranks
4x Crucible of Fire
4x Aetherspouts
4x Life's Legacy
4x Kurkesh
4x Obelisk of Urd
4x Necromancer's Stockpile
4x Goblin Rabblemaster

Total was around 127, over half of it was the playset of nissas. Very cheap set! It's kind of insane that all of the souls were preordering at a dollar with free shipping....

bigkrev

Grabbed every common and uncommon I wanted as well off of TCGplayer. I'm waiting on Nissa because if she's good she won't go too much higher, and if she's bad she should drop.

I never picked up Chandra's, how much lower can she go?

noquarter

Again, I read it wrong. They're pulling them down on the 25th. Alison said they were staying up until Khans, then corrected herself a week later. Worth is taking it sort of personal that the official word was mismanaged. Supposedly, internally it was always the plan to have the drafts stop on the 25th with packs still being sold until October, but as that makes no goddamn sense, I'm going to assume somebody is freaking out about cards being affordable to the dirty masses.
Well, announcing this did a good job of jacking up prices. Yesterday MTGO Traders had Lotus at $154 with 7 in stock. Today, $204 with none in stock. All of their P8 is sold out.

Zocano

uuuugh, I'm hesitant on preordering cause most of those cards I will probably never play. Seems silly to grab cards I don't care for.

I don't think I've been able to choose the color I wanted at the last three prereleases, everyone picks the best ones before they get around to me so I'm trying not to think about it too much. :lol

ultron87

Black seems to pretty obviously have the best promo. Have they actually said that you get to play with them as part of your pool anywhere? I thought at some point they'd said that they were rethinking that part of the prerelease after the Journey one had unbalanced promos as well.

kirblar

Black seems to pretty obviously have the best promo. Have they actually said that you get to play with them as part of your pool anywhere? I thought at some point they'd said that they were rethinking that part of the prerelease after the Journey one had unbalanced promos as well.
We're at least a year out from that change being made, but it definitely needs to happen.

Zocano

Alright.

The conservative spender in me won out.

4x Kurkesh
4x Crucible of Fire
4x Chief Engineer
4x Necromancer's Stockpile
4x Life's Legacy
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Aggressive Mining

2x Perilous Vault
1x Chord of Calling

$36 total

what else I would like to fill out: Basically everything for that artifact deck I'm tinkering with.

I only got one Chord cause they're still expensive and I just want one for cube. Scuttling Doom Engine I'll wait on. $4/ea just seems like pre-order hype so I'll wait to grab those.
I'd like at least one Soul of New Phyrexia. The other Souls seems just as EDH jank to me, but at least New Phyrexia I could play a one of or something.

edit: Also waiting on the Gryff cause it's not a card I see myself playing with (I'm not a huge control and/or white player) so I'll just pick them up as I play sealed or something. Not going to buy them to have them.

I'm undecided between green and red, since both colors have good commons and uncommons this time around. I guess I'll go with whatever is requested less at prerelease.

Lucario

VMA queues are firing very quickly. Not everyone knows the format, and they're just joining because they heard about the deadline. Definitely a good time to jump in.

ultron87

I'm so conflicted on DOTP after playing the iPad demo. It's the closest thing they've made to that Shandalar game since, in that you're running around gaining cards from duels and building whatever deck you want. It's what everyone has always asked for in these games. But then it is gross in terms of micro transaction only cards and the card pool doesn't have anything actually powerful so you're just playing a bunch of limited power level games, at the start at least.

Also it told me a Banisher Priest was the worst card in my deck with a Trained Caracal in it and that 26 lands was ideal for a white blue tempo deck. Lol.

bigkrev

I'm so conflicted on DOTP after playing the iPad demo. It's the closest thing they've made to that Shandalar game since, in that you're running around gaining cards from duels and building whatever deck you want. It's what everyone has always asked for in these games. But then it is gross in terms of micro transaction only cards and the card pool doesn't have anything actually powerful so you're just playing a bunch of limited power level games, at the start at least.

Also it told me a Banisher Priest was the worst card in my deck with a Trained Caracal in it and that 26 lands was ideal for a white blue tempo deck. Lol.

Can't you just spend 29.99 and unlock everything?

ultron87

Maybe? I think so. The in app purchase store is a mess. There's a thing called the complete bundle that costs 30 along with like 20 other things to buy. I think the ten dollar "chapter bundle" is the traditional "full game" where you need to unlock stuff. Just looking at the store makes me feel gross. Which is insane from someone who just spent 30 bucks on a few cards in paper.

Also there might not be puzzles. This is the worst thing.

OnPoint

Storm player had one life and 0:22 left on the clock when he beat me.

When I play against Storm in the future, I'm going to take a little bit of time between clicking OK.

Yeef

Maybe? I think so. The in app purchase store is a mess. There's a thing called the complete bundle that costs 30 along with like 20 other things to buy. I think the ten dollar "chapter bundle" is the traditional "full game" where you need to unlock stuff. Just looking at the store makes me feel gross. Which is insane from someone who just spent 30 bucks on a few cards in paper.

It was confirmed a few months back that there are no puzzles. They were always the best part, so it's pretty disheartening.

bigkrev

Fired up the app. Don't see what's confusing. There is 9.99 for chapters (ie, the full game), and there are 20 dollars worth of card sets (Inn, Zen, Rav, ect). If you buy the bundle, you get everything plus 300 foil slots- it looks like now you can choose what cards are foil and buy extra slots. The only thing that seemed strange were the Booster packs- no idea what they have that the collections don't

I'm go into wait for the steam version next week. With the death of MTGO happening shortly, I want some way to play Magic on my PC

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fired up the app. Don't see what's confusing. There is 9.99 for chapters (ie, the full game), and there are 20 dollars worth of card sets (Inn, Zen, Rav, ect). If you buy the bundle, you get everything plus 300 foil slots- it looks like now you can choose what cards are foil and buy extra slots. The only thing that seemed strange were the Booster packs- no idea what they have that the collections don't

I'm go into wait for the steam version next week. With the death of MTGO happening shortly, I want some way to play Magic on my PC

So you don't see what's confusing, except for the part that confuses you. :p

Yeah, the in app store is a jumble and seems to go out of its way to make it as weird as possible to sneak in those accidental purchases from folks. "Chapter unlock" could be just labeled with terminology everybody already understands ("Unlock full game") but then they couldn't piecemeal out other chapters like the stand alone Theros DLC which seems to be part of the full story. The booster pack you unlock when you win a game has a single card in it? Not really a pack, then. Does that go for the premium boosters? The $30 bundle includes what parts that aren't part of the $10 "chapter unlock" or unlockable through play portions, outside of the foil stickers?

Objectively speaking, there simply isn't enough information on hand to make informed buying decisions - in the game itself. Plenty of info if you scour the web, I'm sure. Subjectively speaking, the app itself is slick. The interface is gorgeous and the speed of the computer is greatly improved and the AI seems to not make stupid decisions as much as before.

Small nitpicks is that there is no way to turn off the distracting red zone animation and the menus still need some consolidation - though its clear they spread them out a bit to showcase the new look of the game. Still takes a bit too long to actual get to some of the stuff you want to use.

Worst of all, they took the best part of the single player game straight out - presumably to sell the puzzles back as DLC later on.

In short, the actual programmers and the visual art team deserve a raise, a promotion and a parade. The team behind making the game a EA's Dungeon Keeper level of F2P crud deserves to be demoted and never allowed near entry level products again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom