• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";137788192]If Bazaar of Baghdad was standard legal I wouldn't need janky mill cards :([/QUOTE]

Bazaar of Baghdad is beyond busted.

Firemind

Firemind, what would you cut for Stoke? I tried to fit that in, but I didn't want to drop my creature count and the charm, denial, and claw are a really good fit.
I would cut the charm. Maybe leave one maindeck or sideboard. Three mana is one mana too many for a mana leak and conditional falter is meh oftentimes. What does Stubborn Denial and Disdainful Stroke not counter that's a threat to you?

I'd go along the lines of this:
4 elvish mystic
4 rattleclaw
4 rabblemaster
4 knuckleblade
4 ashcloud

3 lightning strike
4 convoke the flames
3 stubborn denial
3 disdainful stroke
4 crater's claws

23 lands

Maybe the creature count is too low, but I'm not a fan of polukranos or stormbreath in the abzan and jeskai matchup. Heir of the wilds is fine but unexciting, though it's possible the deck needs it since it doesn't have many two drops otherwise. I'd rather try protecting my beastly critters first and burn them out. Perhaps Dig Through Time has a place in Temur...

bigkrev

So.... why is the MSRP of the commander decks 34.99 instead of 29.99? They even have less oversized cards than the last set (only the Planeswalker is included)

kirblar

Rare count is massively up (both in new cards/reprints) from last time.

Also, they're clearly struggling to keep the standard MSRP for normal boosters under 3.99. Math-wise, we should have seen an increase by now, but they don't want to break that barrier. I don't mind the "extra" things letting them delay those margins. (They already bumped wholesale cost this year.)

MjFrancis

I like that the new Commander decks all seem more playable out of the box compared to last year's sets. Each deck has a relatively coherent theme split between two possible commanders, while last year's sets had three commanders each with different design philosophies and a messed up 99-card pool to match.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Also, they're clearly struggling to keep the standard MSRP for normal boosters under 3.99. Math-wise, we should have seen an increase by now, but they don't want to break that barrier. I don't mind the "extra" things letting them delay those margins. (They already bumped wholesale cost this year.)

Lol the "rares" are just symbols they put on the cards in precons, dude

bigkrev

The real answer to this is to go to 11 or 12 card packs (which is the industry standard), and possibly drop the price to 3.49. Draft is now 4 boosters.

I'll say this though. When I got to Target, I was planning on buying 3 (Red, Blue, Green). When I saw the price, I decided to only get 2 of them, and either wait or buy singles for the other one. I don't think that was intended.

Jhriad

So after deciding to get back into Magic a short time ago and posting here in thread I decided to dig out my old boxes of cards and reorganize them all. Hoping to rediscover the stuff I had I instead discovered something a little more alarming. A while back a pipe in the wall next to the closet where I stored the cards had broken and leaked water pretty good. Apparently this water, unbeknownst to me leaked through some at the very top of the closet where I couldn't see and seeped onto my Magic cards. While a smaller portion is noticeably warped the more alarming part was the significantly larger portion that, while not warped, was stuck together to varying degrees. Pulling the cards apart basically tears part of the back (or front) off as it remains stuck to the other card(s). Needless to say I'm a little upset.

Crocodile

They've said in Commander supplements:
-Mythic = Commanders
-Rare = only in one deck
-Uncommon = in three decks
-Common = in all the decks

Since these are five mono-colored decks, every brand new colored card has to be a Rare or higher by default.

kirblar

They've said in Commander supplements:
-Mythic = Commanders
-Rare = only in one deck
-Uncommon = in three decks
-Common = in all the decks

Since these are five mono-colored decks, every brand new colored card has to be a Rare or higher by default.
The complexity/power on the new cards is rare-equivalent. Also, there are a metric crap-ton of rare/mythic reprints. They're not fake rares.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's like an entire set of unplayable red cards.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";137871649]Got rocked at fnm, time to reevaluate my life decisions.[/QUOTE]

Play Sligh

I've gone undefeated in my last two Modern events with monored burn splashing for Boros Charm and a miser's Deflecting Palm. Last night I 2-0'd a guy who had Turn Zero Leyline of Sanctity both games.

That deck is no joke.
I played rest in peace energy field combo turn three against goblins in legacy today :3

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";137875681]I played rest in peace energy field combo turn three against goblins in legacy today :3[/QUOTE]

That might be a problem for Goblins, sure.

Burn just waits patiently until critical mass is hit, then goes "Skullcrack, burnburnburnburn you're dead"

Or, sideboard Wear/Tear

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, this years commander decks are all really good. I want the white and red ones most, but ultimately I'll probably get all five.

My friend had the white one tonight and it looked like a blast. I'm going to try and snag the red and green ones in the near future, although I just built an awesome feeling Intet the Dreamer deck that I'm going to be running for a while

Yeah I play a Rest in Peace, Energy Field, Helm of Obedience, Enlightened Tutor and Batterskull in the main board of my Miracles deck with no Jaces lolol

y2dvd

Went 3-1 losing to Jeskai Heroic Combo deck in the finals. Ok combo decks are stupid. First game they win for free as there's no way to interact with the combo. 2nd game, if you don't draw your sb, peace out. Shit wasn't fun to lose against.

Went 3-1 losing to Jeskai Heroic Combo deck in the finals. Ok combo decks are stupid. First game they win for free as there's no way to interact with the combo. 2nd game, if you don't draw your sb, peace out. Shit wasn't fun to lose against.
That's ironic because Ivan's been getting killed at our shop lol

Everybody plays some inbred control deck or sligh in our meta.

Good luck to everyone at the Open this weekend (and any tourneys in general)!

So, I totally misjudged the Just for Fun room in MTGO, lol. I love this one old Standard deck ('Simple Red') I found on SCG. It tries to force Complex Automaton and uses Land Destruction and self-Land Destruction to make it work.

4 complex automaton
4 raze
4 seal of fire
4 shock (replaced with Lightning Bolts)
4 parch
4 stone rain
4 pillage
4 avalanche riders
3 cave-in
1 landslide
4 crystal vein
2 dust bowl (replaced with Ghost Quarters)
4 ghitu encampment
4 sandstone needle
10 mountain

I just love the style and find Land Destruction / Disruption very interesting considering the importance of Land.

Basically, you don't make friends with it. One straight up "Block", more than one rage AFK so far... What I don't understand, though, is how people feel like Counterspells are "okay", but Land Destruction just crosses the line. They're arguably the same thing - tempo plays - so what's the big deal? Obviously getting your lands blown up sucks, but it seems like people hate it more than anything else in the game.

I feel like I play against my share of really controlling decks in the Just for Fun room in Legacy and that's just how it goes. There's a one guy with Painter's Servant that just cruises around crushing dreams, lol, but I don't Block him or hate his guts- it's just strong deck if you're not prepared.

Do any of you control / Blue players feel like people rage as hard when you stonewall them?

EDIT: I'm aware that Counters don't affect the board state, so that's a clear difference. That said, I think you could make an argument that they're worse / less fun in some situations.

Angry Grimace

Good luck to everyone at the Open this weekend (and any tourneys in general)!

So, I totally misjudged the Just for Fun room in MTGO, lol. I love this one old Standard deck ('Simple Red') I found on SCG. It tries to force Complex Automaton and uses Land Destruction and self-Land Destruction to make it work.

I just love the style and find Land Destruction / Disruption very interesting considering the importance of Land.

Basically, you don't make friends with it. One straight up "Block" more than one rage AFK so far. What I don't understand, though, is how people feel like Counterspells are "okay", but Land Destruction just crosses the line. They're arguably the same thing - tempo plays - so what's the big deal? Obviously getting your lands blown up sucks, but it seems like people hate it more than anything else in the game.

I feel like I play against mt share of really controlling decks in the Just for Fun room in Legacy and that's just how it goes. There's a one guy with Painter's Servant that just cruises around crushing dreams, lol, but I don't Block him or hate his guts- it's just strong deck if you're not prepared.

Do any of you control / Blue players feel like people rage as hard when you stonewall them?

EDIT: I'm aware that Counters don't affect the board state, so that's a clear difference. That said, I think you could make an argument that they're worse / less fun in some situations.

The tournament practice room is full of people with weird brews too. I don't see a point in having four different ones to be honest.

Firemind

Stone Rain does not stifle Standard. :(

KTK is weird, man. Yesterday I was losing to High Sentinels, Broodmate Roc, basically bombs.dec, left and right. Tonight I'm winning even after my opponents played Siege Rhinos, Thousand Winds, Zurgo and High Sentinels. I love ninja. Flying Crane also Technique did some work. I often pass it since it usually doesn't do anything in Jeskai with less than 14 creatures, but this time I p1p1 Flying Crane and built around it by picking Whirlwind Adepts. Never thought the latter would be good in Jeskai, but there ya go.

It was not showing up in numbers even outside of the top. A lot of people were talking that it takes a lot of practice and isn't that good, even if you spend two weeks learning it.

ElyrionX

After losing my first 13 (!) Modern test games on MTGO with UWR Midrange (didn't count the wins against WanderingWind's durdle zombie deck and others where the opponents conceded for non-obvious reasons), I just pulled off a string of 3 2-0s.

In particular, the third game that I just finished was great. It was against Bogles and he had me down to 5 life with two hexproof creatures on board that could deal 6 against my sole Snappy. He was down to 4. On his turn, I Cryptic Commanded for tap all and draw. My turn, Snap swung in for 2 and he was down to 2. I slammed Gideon Jura and +2'ed. His turn, he casted a Spirit Link and gained life back to 6. But he was one point short of killing Gideon and next turn I transformed Gideon into a 6/6 for the win. Feels good man.

I started off with the #teamgeist list but have since modified it. The list has 0 Cryptic Command which I feel is a huge mistake as Cryptic is so critical to saving your ass late game and clearing the way for Geist to swing through. I am currently testing it as a 4-of. I am also testing Gideon Jura as Keranos just seems too slow and has too narrow applications (primarily only useful against control) to be in the main deck.

Matriox

Ended up going 4-3 before dropping at scg Columbus. Friend of mine had already dropped so we decided to get some food. Played and beat Jeff Hoogland though.

ElyrionX

If I turn Gideo Jura into a 6/6 soldier creature, can I use Kiki Jiki to create a copy of the 6/6 creature to swing for 12?

ElyrionX

Nonlegendary

So that means yes? Kiki can create copies of Gideon if Gideon had used his ability to turn into a 6/6 creature since he's non-legendary?

EDIT: Clarified with a judge. Apparently the created token will also be a PW so while you can create it, you would need to sac it as soon as it hits the board.

Wichu

Planeswalkers are by definition legendary and the ability says it's still a planeswalker.

No, they're not. The planeswalker uniqueness rule is different from the legendary rule; planeswalkers themselves are not legendary.

If you copy Gideon with Kiki-Jiki, then the copy enters the battlefield as a noncreature Planeswalker (with the usual six loyalty counters) - the effect that turns Gideon into a creature isn't copiable. The planeswalker uniqueness rule kicks in, and you choose to put either the token copy or the original Gideon into your graveyard. You can't swing for 12 unfortunately.

ElyrionX

No, they're not. The planeswalker uniqueness rule is different from the legendary rule; planeswalkers themselves are not legendary.

If you copy Gideon with Kiki-Jiki, then the copy enters the battlefield as a noncreature Planeswalker (with the usual six loyalty counters) - the effect that turns Gideon into a creature isn't copiable. The planeswalker uniqueness rule kicks in, and you choose to put either the token copy or the original Gideon into your graveyard. You can't swing for 12 unfortunately.

Hmm, this pretty much jives with what my judge friend said though I didn't know that the effect cannot be copied.

Also, just won another game on MTGO. So went on a 13-game losing streak and am now on a 5-game winning streak. The streakiness of this reminds me of when I first started playing Dota 2. LOL

I am starting to think that Jeskai Charm in a Geist deck is the real deal. That +1/+1 lifelink mode is extremely powerful with Geist and you get 8 life back just like that. Seems pretty relevant for the current Burn and Delver meta. 4 damage to the dome fits with the deck's overall game plan as well and of course, bouncing a creature to the top of the library is tempo play and also in line with the deck's strategy as well. Going to try to fit in another copy in the deck.

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";137906134]That's ironic because Ivan's been getting killed at our shop lol

Everybody plays some inbred control deck or sligh in our meta.[/QUOTE]

It could've been he just had all of his tools to pull off the combo at the earliest opportunity. I need to play the matchup more to truly evaluate the deck. I actually think the deck has several rooms for errors. There are a lot of cheap cards to help you draw or Scry and dig for answers.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
After losing my first 13 (!) Modern test games on MTGO with UWR Midrange (didn't count the wins against WanderingWind's durdle zombie deck and others where the opponents conceded for non-obvious reasons), I just pulled off a string of 3 2-0s.

In particular, the third game that I just finished was great. It was against Bogles and he had me down to 5 life with two hexproof creatures on board that could deal 6 against my sole Snappy. He was down to 4. On his turn, I Cryptic Commanded for tap all and draw. My turn, Snap swung in for 2 and he was down to 2. I slammed Gideon Jura and +2'ed. His turn, he casted a Spirit Link and gained life back to 6. But he was one point short of killing Gideon and next turn I transformed Gideon into a 6/6 for the win. Feels good man.

I started off with the #teamgeist list but have since modified it. The list has 0 Cryptic Command which I feel is a huge mistake as Cryptic is so critical to saving your ass late game and clearing the way for Geist to swing through. I am currently testing it as a 4-of. I am also testing Gideon Jura as Keranos just seems too slow and has too narrow applications (primarily only useful against control) to be in the main deck.

Hey! In my defense, I didn't know you had a real deck. When I pulled my actual Modern decks out, we had a good match going.

ElyrionX

Hey! In my defense, I didn't know you had a real deck. When I pulled my actual Modern decks out, we had a good match going.

Lol I know! That's why I did not count it. We should play again. I've been tweaking the deck quite a bit though testing will take a lot more matches.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";138059593]Ironmang doesn't respond to people offering him hundreds of dollars for eternal cards, so its up to you to sell me stuff, Wanderingwind.[/QUOTE]

Ha. I'm not touching that first part (I too have almost sold my collection here on GAF, only to get cold feet) but I may think about selling sometime soon. I dunno. It's hard to part with paper when MTGO is so shitty. E

Either they're serious about fixing it - like their reporting on bug fixes like a real, big boy software company does - or they're just going to let customers bleed off, like the precipitous drop in streaming since V4 became mandatory shows.

If MTGO was more stable - not the client, but the entire concept - I would cash out of paper and sell you my stuff. But, you know, moving over to MTGO entirely could be foolish.

kirblar

Ha. I'm not touching that first part (I too have almost sold my collection here on GAF, only to get cold feet) but I may think about selling sometime soon. I dunno. It's hard to part with paper when MTGO is so shitty. E

Either they're serious about fixing it - like their reporting on bug fixes like a real, big boy software company does - or they're just going to let customers bleed off, like the precipitous drop in streaming since V4 became mandatory shows.

If MTGO was more stable - not the client, but the entire concept - I would cash out of paper and sell you my stuff. But, you know, moving over to MTGO entirely could be foolish.
WotC/Hasbro won't invest more money in it. Why should you?

WanderingWind

WotC/Hasbro won't invest more money in it. Why should you?

Yeah, exactly. Paper will hold value until the game inevitably loses the spike in popularity it regained and drops back down to a more niche product. MTGO...shit, honestly WotC barely officially supports it as is. Bots, the ORCs forced to read from scripts, the automated customer service responses, the swarms people who join the digital team and quit a year later.

Sadly, the game is amazing despite their best efforts. It's so awesome that I don't want to quit playing online, because if I do, then I simply can't play. The game barely exists in Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom